• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Stop Oil has disrupted the winners' final of Tekken 7 at EGX by smearing paint on the players' monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danknugz

they handled that remarkably chill, good on them (the way they didn't have security football tackle someone, not the stop oil guys)

also, haven't played teller 7, wonder if it's good

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It wouldn't make a difference to global warming if the UK gov did decide not to renew any new oil contracts. If they really are trying to "save lives" then they should be targeting nations like China, India and the US. Instead, they walk slowly around London, throw some paint around and generally piss off the public.

ZoukGalaxy

Just stop oil but using a plastic gun to spray the big screen. Ok.

Angry Gordon Ramsay GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Last edited:

cireza

You can have a healthy life without relying on an unreasonable amount of technology or oil in the countryside if you want. Build your house, grow your vegetables, have some animals etc... And you don't have to enforce your opinion to do this.

Last edited:
People sure do tolerate a lot from these cucks. They will sit in the middle of the street holding up traffic and people will just be like "🫤well that's disruptive".

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm not a conspiracy guy but it's really difficult to believe that this isn't one.

They're pushing people away from caring about the subject. Surely it would be better to target the actual supplier than frustrate the end user? Or, even better, they should put their collective heads together and create an alternative.

Im starting to think that the industry is financing this group to promote oil. It's such a childish and futile way to protest.
It feels a little like terrorism on a minor scale and that's really not going to win anyone over.

Anyway, back to Baldurs Gate. 💪

Judging from the replies here, I don't think there's much point in replying, but I'll add one anyway.

Ultimately, the protesters appear to be right. It's a really weird situation we're in, the science is clear, the way that we are currently meeting our energy needs is not compatible with the planet being healthy, and yet there's no appetite for change.

There are a bunch of tired responses that are trotted out, like blaming other countries, claiming that the changes in climate we are seeing is with precedent, that the reason our governments want to foist the idea of climate change upon us is so we can be taxed harder. This is all patently bullshit.

What we should be seeing is the governments of the world paying attention to their own scientific advisors, the experts who dedicate their lives to the study of this stuff who are sounding an alarm and being roundly ignored.

As Just Stop Oil and other organisations like Greenpeace will tell you, they have attempted to speak directly to the source and have done so for decades but all that's happened is that they've been ignored and things have continued to get worse.

I used to worry that generations ahead of mine would suffer as a result of the decisions that have been taken before and during my lifespan, but now I wonder what is going to happen in my lifespan.

There will be many people who have been conditioned to think that there's no problem ahead, mainly because of the short termism of our political systems - there's no point in planning for a decade ahead when the guys who'll be taking over will change course in 4 years time. There's a clip of (former British deputy prime minister) Nick Clegg saying that there was no point in investing in nuclear power because the new power plants wouldn't be coming online until 2021/22. Clegg is nowhere near politics now, but it'd be nice if the UK had cleaner energy systems in place rather than apparently needing to double down on further fossil fuel reserves as it just has done.

What's sad is that though you say the protesters should put their heads together and offer a solution, the truth is that nobody who is in a position to introduce change wants to hear it because of the short term discomfort involved. Even if they were approaching the governments of the world with a perfect solution, it would come with short term costs and would also mean interrupting the oil industry.

The lobbyists for the oil industry are on tape saying that they lied about the impact their industry has on the world and that's essentially been brushed aside and it's business as usual. Meanwhile the press have successfully convinced the public that the people trying to act in your interest are instead fanatical lunatics. The smallest amount of reading of sources that are trustworthy would tell you the situation we are in is not a good one.

You can have a healthy life without relying on an unreasonable amount of technology or oil in the countryside if you want. Build your house, grow your vegetables, have some animals etc... And you don't have to enforce your opinion to do this.
No thanks, I need to enforce my ideals on others.

Judging from the replies here, I don't think there's much point in replying, but I'll add one anyway.

Ultimately, the protesters appear to be right.
Did not read beyond this.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

Ultimately, the protesters appear to be right. It's a really weird situation we're in, the science is clear, the way that we are currently meeting our energy needs is not compatible with the planet being healthy, and yet there's no appetite for change.

There are a bunch of tired responses that are trotted out, like blaming other countries, claiming that the changes in climate we are seeing is with precedent, that the reason our governments want to foist the idea of climate change upon us is so we can be taxed harder. This is all patently bullshit.

What we should be seeing is the governments of the world paying attention to their own scientific advisors, the experts who dedicate their lives to the study of this stuff who are sounding an alarm and being roundly ignored.

As Just Stop Oil and other organisations like Greenpeace will tell you, they have attempted to speak directly to the source and have done so for decades but all that's happened is that they've been ignored and things have continued to get worse.

I used to worry that generations ahead of mine would suffer as a result of the decisions that have been taken before and during my lifespan, but now I wonder what is going to happen in my lifespan.

There will be many people who have been conditioned to think that there's no problem ahead, mainly because of the short termism of our political systems - there's no point in planning for a decade ahead when the guys who'll be taking over will change course in 4 years time. There's a clip of (former British deputy prime minister) Nick Clegg saying that there was no point in investing in nuclear power because the new power plants wouldn't be coming online until 2021/22. Clegg is nowhere near politics now, but it'd be nice if the UK had cleaner energy systems in place rather than apparently needing to double down on further fossil fuel reserves as it just has done.

What's sad is that though you say the protesters should put their heads together and offer a solution, the truth is that nobody who is in a position to introduce change wants to hear it because of the short term discomfort involved. Even if they were approaching the governments of the world with a perfect solution, it would come with short term costs and would also mean interrupting the oil industry.

The lobbyists for the oil industry are on tape saying that they lied about the impact their industry has on the world and that's essentially been brushed aside and it's business as usual. Meanwhile the press have successfully convinced the public that the people trying to act in your interest are instead fanatical lunatics. The smallest amount of reading of sources that are trustworthy would tell you the situation we are in is not a good one.
We all know there’s a problem, anyone with half a brain can see climate change is real and dangerous to us as a species.

These clowns messing up famous pieces of art or sporting events does nothing. I agree world governments need to get a handle but do you think that they take notice of these things?

Until China, India, America, any other huge manufacturing nation starts actually doing something meaningful unfortunately nothing will change.

But as long as we are using paper straws now that’s all well and good? I’m sick of the government telling me I’m the problem when I do everything I can to recycle, re-use, eat less meat etc. wtf is the point if major corporations get a by ball. We’re a drop in the ocean.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Just filled up my car yesterday. Thank you for reminding me to fill the 4 gasoline cans I have in my garage.

X-Wing

You are right, but indeed no point in discussing it here.

consoul

Just Stop Oil are funded by Aileen Getty (petroleum heiress), so the possibility that these fucksticks are deliberately making climate protesters look bad is not out of the question.

The issue is serious, but this kind of action is not winning anyone over.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Do these silly protests accomplish anything at all? We are not sure if they did it, but our front door into apartment complex was broken into a few months ago. And each apartment door had in the morning huge last generation poster on it. With these stupid actions they certainly do not win new supporters.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Do these silly protests accomplish anything at all? We are not sure if they did it, but our front door into apartment complex was broken into a few months ago. And each apartment door had in the morning huge last generation poster on it. With these stupid actions they certainly do not win new supporters.
Probably just points in their cult ... each point you go up the ladder... pretty soon you will be able to paint you hair green, have sex with the tribe leader and spray paint on the monalisa

Duchess

Why do these protesters always attack the public?

You're not hurting the oil companies by doing this. Nor are you affecting their CEOs, shareholders, or others who are continuing to do the thing you hate.

All they're doing is building public resentment to their organisation and movement. They're taking a gun to their own feet.

Tams

I just laugh at them and move on.

And I studied this shit at university. While right to be very, very concerned, I'd say most of these protestors don't know shit about what they are protesting.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Why do they post videos of members' arrests in their PR campaigns?

"You, too, could be laughed at, booed, at worst physically assaulted or killed, and then get arrested! We'll make sure to film it and put it on X! What's the cause? OIL! You know the first place warlord oil barons go to rape our Earth? KING OF THE IRON FIST TOURNAMENTS BRUH,"

Topher

Gold Member

No, the protestors are not right because they don't make any of the arguments you just made and come across as idiotic attention seekers. Justifying what they did because they would be ignored otherwise is absurd. Ultimately, these people accomplished nothing. So what's next? Should they ramp up their strategy? Do something that really gets attention? Where is the line drawn?

the_master

Good for them.

Worries me all the hate towards them because they have creted a little anoyance on a game tournament.

We should have alredy stopped use of oil an coal years ago it is embarassing that we have not yet done it and no plans on doing it.

Shame that out kids and grandkids will pay the price not just the idiots responsible

the_master

Easy times make men weak
Exactly. All the weak men in power who can’t take responsibility and reduce profit for the greater good of our planet and our descendants.
All the lazy and poor people defending them, afraid of a potential little discomfort.

I can not stand activists 🤮 most of them are disgusting low lives living in fear with nothing else better to do than disrupt the productive people in society

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom