• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karak (ACG): Cyberpunk 2077 is now the buggiest game I have reviewed. Beating Unity

GHG

He's done a good talk about the game here as well:

Well worth a watch/listen.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

In 25 hours on PC I've had zero CTDs, had to revert a save once when a quest corpse fell through the world during a firefight, and experienced some non-game-breaking bugs like my HP bar temporarily showing stuck to 0 when it wasn't or a few lines of dialogue not being audible. Several bugs I experienced early were fixed after the fact by the 1.04 hotfix and I haven't had as many issues since.

I don't have as many hours but yea, on PC i'm super impressed so far. Comparatively to a new Bethesda open world game, or even some Ubisoft ones for that matter, it's quite stable/complete. I would say Witcher 3 was worst for me on launch day.

Rikkori

Had only 2 crashes and only after starting a 2nd playthrough and messing with the configs, but I suspect that was just an unfortunate accident. Overall, yeah, the game is "buggy" (eg if you jump between certain geometry you can get stuck etc) but not more than AC:Valhalla or WD:Legion which also launched recently and that I've played through at launch also. YMMV I guess, this was on PC.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I've only gotten a random NPC in T-pose (on PC), only 9 hours in though.

It is really weird how some have a ton of bugs and some have practically none. It will create quite a different launch experience between players.

When I played FO:NV on the 360 at launch so many people were crying about all the bugs many of them game-breaking. I was like, stop being so melodramatic, it's fine. I only experienced a few minor freezes/CTDs and the unbearably long load times. As I got deep into the game I didn't like the choices I made so I rushed to end game to replay with different choices.

On my 2nd playthrough I learned the hard way what the people crying about bugs were talking about. I experienced every damn game-breaking bug and several times had to pull the plug on my the 360 it froze so hard. It was the worst, buggiest game I ever played.

I never went back to it I was so disgusted until recently on the One X and almost all of the bugs are finally fixed, of course the loading times are now almost nonexistent on the X, but I did still have a couple CTDs.

It amazes me how different the experience can be from one gamer, one console or even the same gamer and console on a different playthrough. I'm sure that's the case with CP2077 too.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've had a fair share of bugs and glitches:

~ 10 crashes so far, seemingly random
- Enemies can sometimes see me through solid objects
- Enemies see me when sneaking behind them, causing the whole area to be alerted
- Dropping bodies makes them launch across the area and get stuck in objects or simply disappear, seems to happen if looking to far down when pressing button
- Whenever I call my motorcycle it auto-drives up and is always stuck in the ground so when it comes to a stop it flips out literally
- Sometimes when calling my car it glitches into another car only for them to glitch out and explode or get launched several meters away
- I'll boot up the game and on 3 separate occasions all of my settings have been reset
- Mission progress not advancing, requiring a checkpoint restart
- Items not giving a prompt to pick up, this one happens all the time
- Not being able to sprint or move faster than a walk until I open the menu, this happens all the time too
- Pressing buttons and nothing happens, seems to happen the most with healing and reloading, often requires multiples presses
- Waypoints occasionally don't work when you place them, it's like certain markers won't allow it
- Sometimes the mini-map dots don't recognize I'm using a vehicle and get stuck to on-foot pathing
- Killing gangs in their hideouts will occasionally cause Police to spawn in and attack me in that same gang hideout, guessing it's when combat happens too close to a street
- LOTs of visual bugs like car headlights/taillights at night simply turning off when I get close to them, people missing legs, items floating in the air, etc.

TheMan

Sad that things are unfolding like this. There are a lot of positives with this game and on PC, I"m having a lot of with it. The game clearly needed another few months in the oven and now all these bugs and performance issues are overshadowing the fun. The devs (not talking about management) must be pretty devastated, especially after all that crunch...

Reactions: GHG

Moogle11

Banned
I've not had any crashes yet in 14 hours on XSX playing in quality mode. I did have to reload a save twice--once when a text box explaining access points got stuck on screen and once when the game got stuck as it didn't trigger a story bit after killing all enemies in
the helicopter gunner sequence as Johnny.
I also force closed the game and restarted the console (not sure if needed) as the graphics got wonky at one point with a lot of screen tearing. Restart/reboot fixed it. Also some random graphical glitches with NPCs being invisible etc.

So I don't have many gripes and am having a blast with it after learning the ropes and getting fully sucked in. Game looks pretty solid too after turning off all the graphics filters and tweaking the HDR settings. Update to 1.0.4 made the image quite a bit sharper/clearer as well.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I had multiple crashes to OS on PS5, even now after 1.04. Good thing it reloads pretty fast.

I also had the ripperdoc stuck quest bug at the start but reloading solved it. Then some NPCs in the air and my car spawning under a truck.

It's among the most buggy games I've ever played at launch. But it's also a great game.

Last edited:

oldergamer

How is it i haven't had a single crash yet? There must be some bugs that specifically occur depending which path you take through the game.

M0G

NGE5IRw.jpg

But seriously though, after spending ages editing all my keybindings config files the PC version is incredible. Broken as fuck but definitely fun.

pr0cs

It amazes me how different the experience can be from one gamer, one console or even the same gamer and console on a different playthrough. I'm sure that's the case with CP2077 too.
QFT, people still treat games like it's 1990 and a NES game release. Games these days combine a ton of different disciplines, a variety of 3rd party libraries and tons of assets created by an army of people from around the world. Suggesting that games should never be released with bugs is just plain naive.

That being said, Cyberpunk was rushed out the door and needed more time to cook but as usual the suits demand that the game take advantage of the holiday season which was a terrible decision. They risk the game being labelled as a buggy mess best to be avoided which in the short term hurt them.

GHG

[
How is it i haven't had a single crash yet? There must be some bugs that specifically occur depending which path you take through the game.

It's an open world rpg with a lot of different paths you can take along with a ton of different skill/chip/augmentation choices/combinations.

You can get lucky, unlucky or somewhere in between dependant on how you play the game.

Regardless, this would have been tested and they 100% knew prior to release but they shat it out anyway.

Antwix

I don't know, I haven't really had any major bugs/glitches yet and I'm about 9 hours in. Not one crash, not one glitch where I was forced to exit the game. I had one minor instance that I exited to the main menu and reloaded a save I just made due to one of the tooltips that pop up refusing to go away. Other than that, some minor NPC pathing oddities and some other NPC weirdness but nothing at all major. I guess I'm lucky??? On 1.04 (PC) chugging along on my RX480 btw.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
QFT, people still treat games like it's 1990 and a NES game release. Games these days combine a ton of different disciplines, a variety of 3rd party libraries and tons of assets created by an army of people from around the world. Suggesting that games should never be released with bugs is just plain naive.

That being said, Cyberpunk was rushed out the door and needed more time to cook but as usual the suits demand that the game take advantage of the holiday season which was a terrible decision. They risk the game being labelled as a buggy mess best to be avoided which in the short term hurt them.

Sad but true. I was so excited for FO:NV I bought the collectors edition which I never do and was SO disappointed and angry at the buggy mess it turned out to be at launch. It left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I have been excitedly anticipating CP2077 for years. Even though it seems that for consoles, the Series X is the best place to play this game, looking at the videos it's still disappointing even on the XsX and not what I was expecting for my most anticipated game in many years. I'm so glad I decided to wait for the Series X version of this game. I would hate to have that same bad taste for this game.

In 50 hours of gameplay I have had 14 crashes on ps4 pro. I tried buying a car once, but it was merged halfway under the street. Upon crashes, my settings all reset. The way V sleeps in her bed should be adjusted. I get weapon pick up notifications that do not go away, and many items do not let me pick them up at all. CDPR states that the nude in menus but purple panties in the world is a bug and not censorship, I absolute am enjoying the game and look forward to these things being fixed. Supposed to be another patch before the 21st, and also one other patch in January, then more free patches/free dlc/free updates before they roll out paid dlc.

Side note: Panam lets you flirt with her even if you are female V and female V can even ask to share her bed with her, but Panam is only an option for Male V. I would trade Judy for Panam in a heartbeat. Her and Goro Takamura should have been Bisexual options, Imo.

I know this game is not "LGBTpunk 2077", but it still would have been a nice set of options.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I'm missing out. 12 hours into the PC version and I really haven't seen many bugs at all other than a couple of floating objects (most notably Jackie's chopsticks when you meet him in front of your apartment).

BeardGawd

Banned
It's weird, I've seen people have major issues and enjoy the game a lot

I personally have had 2 bugs, one where an enemy despanwned and wouldn't let me progress without killing him, and one where I crashed a bike into a post and got stuck in a sign. I'm on PC though btw

Both occasions a quick reload fixed this

1 thing I did notice, that installing the game on a 7200 rpm HDD had bad pop in and textures sometimes took a while to loa don cars, moving to a M2 SSD fixed this.

I was thinking last night of maybe stopping my playthrough and waiting for a few patches or a PS5 version, I really like everything about the game, but the bugs are starting to make me question it
You've had 2 bugs and that is making you question it?

I've had exactly two bugs in about 6 hours on PS5, 12 hours in XSX and 8 hours on PC, pathing bugs aside. Those are annoying but not gamebreaking or immersion breaking to me personally.

thelastword

Banned
Could you imagine if a Sony first party game released like this.......The guys butchered Days Gone at review time because it had some slowdown around huge hordes, they butchered DC because of servers but gave BF4 9-10/10 a heavy MP game that didn't resolve itself for well over a year at launch. DC and Days Gone, much more polished than BF or Cyberpunk... DC was pretty much an SP game and it had a solid 30fps with probably the most impressive visuals on a racer last gen, gameplay was addictive....Reviewers threw everything and the kitchen sink at these games, but are always quick to highlight any bout of slowdown they encounter in a Sony game.....Unity and Witcher 3 had awful launches, no matter, bugs galore, slowdown, terrible console ports. NO issues, reviewers are easier on third party games....

GymWolf

Yeah, not even close, at least on pc.

If you read any topic about the game you can find a lot of people with almost zero problems (and a lot of people with troubles of course).

Good luck on finding anyone who didn't had troubles with stuff like avengers or anthem, the first one had a broken matchmaking since day one and the second didn't even had a stats page...in a looter game, let that sink for a moment (on top of the gazillion of other problems).

Both skyrim and fallout 4 were more buggy to at launch.

Not defending the game, a lot of graphical aspect are bugged like shadows on npc and some settings do downroght nothing both in visual and performance, but the game is perfectly playable most of the times (all the time for lucky people like me)

I think the consoles ended up with the shorter stick this time.

BeardGawd

Banned
Could you imagine if a Sony first party game released like this.......The guys butchered Days Gone at review time because it had some slowdown around huge hordes, they butchered DC because of servers but gave BF4 9-10/10 a heavy MP game that didn't resolve itself for well over a year at launch. DC and Days Gone, much more polished than BF or Cyberpunk... DC was pretty much an SP game and it had a solid 30fps with probably the most impressive visuals on a racer last gen, gameplay was addictive....Reviewers threw everything and the kitchen sink at these games, but are always quick to highlight any bout of slowdown they encounter in a Sony game.....Unity and Witcher 3 had awful launches, no matter, bugs galore, slowdown, terrible console ports. NO issues, reviewers are easier on third party games....
I dunno perhaps because it's harder to develop on multiple platforms? Seems obvious.

Atrus

Gold Member
It isn't the buggiest game ever or even among something I'd red flag as such being a buggy game. As far as I can tell the game is poorly optimized hence the crashing on occassion and clipping issues but the number of real bugs or glitches has been low.

I've had no broken quests so far or progress limiting errors and in short its been an enjoyable experience on PC. A really buggy game is one where you need console commands and mods to simply play the game and that isn't true of my experience with CP2077.

GymWolf

Days gone slowdown were not during giant hordes, strangely enough just riding the bike in the open world was enough to have slowdowns but hordes were pretty stable on my pro, even the one with 500 zombies.

Every time I run in night city, the NPCs around me panic and flee like I’m shooting at them. It’s odd. I’ll be waiting for the patches before I continue. Hopefully they fix the performance quickly as well.

thelastword

Banned
I dunno perhaps because it's harder to develop on multiple platforms? Seems obvious.
And yet some developers do it with aplomb.......Good and bug free versions of their games on a million platforms.....

Their graphics are usually not as cutting edge as first party, but we have to take all these bugs, the massive tank in framerate ontop of many sacrifices to A.I, Physics and ATD......? Third parties usually have software that can scale across many platforms, you just have to give each platform a dedicated smaller team to maximize what they can deliver....7 years and a huge budget from Witcher 3 and we still make excuses for them.....

MarlboroRed

Sad to hear and see people have so many issues with the game. It's been the complete opposite for me, game runs fine on an overstretched rig (2070S, R3600X, 16GBDDR4@3440x1440). So far, not a single game breaking bug or crash. Some annoyances sure, but nothing major for a game this size. Really pleasant launch experience all in all.

hemo memo

Every time I run in night city, the NPCs around me panic and flee like I’m shooting at them. It’s odd. I’ll be waiting for the patches before I continue. Hopefully they fix the performance quickly as well.

They already said the large patch 2# will be on February so obviously the next-gen upgrade will be after that and guess what? The next-gen upgrade will bring a new set of problems that they’ll have to fix.

evanft

Bugs I've personally experienced in 12 hours on PC:
  • Fell through the world while trying to jump on a ledge
  • Multiple characters T-posing
  • Enemies just not reacting to me at all while they stood there getting shot
  • Flags or something being all corrupted and not loading properly
  • UI/HUD elements being stuck on for too long
I haven't had anything requiring a restart or a CTD, though.

Froz3n

For me it's about equally as buggy as Valhalla, and far less buggy than watch dogs legion. I really feel like this game needs to be installed on a NVME ssd and simply needs all the IO speed possible. In fact, tweets from one of the lead Devs said the same thing.

I've had exactly two bugs in about 6 hours on PS5, 12 hours in XSX and 8 hours on PC, pathing bugs aside. Those are annoying but not gamebreaking or immersion breaking to me personally.

Exactly, like most of the time they are either just funny or annoying. My game has crashed about 4 or 5 times so far on PS5. I had one bug where a mission wasn't continuing properly but I walked down the street and came back and it sorted itself out. And I had 1 really bad bug last night where the graphics got all fucked up. I just rebooted from the main menu and it fixed it.

Overall so far on PS5 the game reminds me of when I played Rage 1 on PS3 in terms of gameplay and overall feeling. The textures load fine but they are blurry in the background most of the time and the open world is more of a explorable backdrop to the the narrative instead of it being a heavily intractable focus like a game such as GTA V.

Here is the really bad glitch I dealt with.

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lots of people on this forum say yes, there are bugs, it sucks, but I'm enjoying it.

I always knew this game was coming in hot and said CDPR should just delay it again. Was hoping they would delay it on December 9. Meltdowns would have been awesome. But lots of people are enjoying it fine enough. Great! I decided to delay the game myself and will be playing when it's fixed. Seems like win win to me. People can play the game and others can wait for the patches.

Karak is right to call this stuff out, too. He's a reviewer. That's his role. Give people the data and let them decide.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
This is ridiculous. The game shouldn’t have released in this state.

As I had predicted in other Cyberpunk threads, I'm very confident that CD Projekt wanted to delay the game until early 2021 but had
reached a point of promising the game to the gaming community that they basically said "fuck it" we'll patch it after release.

However on my personal play through of the campaign so far on PC, I've only encountered a few(funny) bugs without anything game breaking.
Once I finish the main campaign, I'll be digging more into the "side quests" and see how those play out.....

My advice for those on the fence still: If you have a decent/powerful PC, I'd say go for it and purchase it now.
Consoles: old generation Xbox One, Playstation 4, Xbox One X, Playstation 4 Pro: WAIT.
Xbox Series X(unknown)
Playstation 5(Purchase)
-based on me watching my son play the campaign via backwards compatibility. It's smooth and IMO looks great(obviously not as
good as the PC version though...at least until the proper "next gen" patches arrive for the Xbox Series X and PS5.

Stealth edit: Karak rocks and I'm a happy subscriber to his channel. 👍

Last edited:
12 hours in on an old PC. i5 6600k and 1070Ti.

I've had 1 CTD

I've had 1 mission where Jackie was stuck behind somewhere I couldn't enter and had to talk to him to end the mission. Had to replay half the mission.

I had one infinite loading glitch that I was able to find someone else on YT with the same problem and the same place. The fix was to complete any other mission and go back to that one (it's a mission with Panam, if it happens to you, just do any other mission an return.)

Now I've played every modern Elder Scrolls and Fallout on release day, and what I'm experiencing here is better than any of those experiences, glitch-wise. Even smoother sailing than Witcher 3 launch.

Am I lucky?

Top Bottom