• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kenichiro Yoshida: Playstation will expand gaming experience to PC, mobile and cloud

Mr Moose

Because console is all that matters longer term right? Why should Sony care if people who are primarily PC gamers buy Sony games on PC and skip the PS console. Those who want a console will still buy one. Those who buy the console just for Sony Exclusives because PC is their main platform only pay for themselves if they buy accessories which isn't guaranteed.

A PS store on PC that offers the PS++ services and day one exclusives would serve that market better than keeping it all on the consoles so console fanboys wont cry.

When a fanoy says publishing exclusives on other platforms devalues their platform, they are really just saying that it makes them feel less special for worshipping that console. It is sad really. I feel wronged because someone who didn't buy the same system as me can enjoy the same games. So fucking lame. If the company can make more money on games, you will get to play more of their games.
Day one? It absolutely does. Sony want to sell consoles, exclusives are an incentive to buy console. If game is no longer exclusive to said console there is less reason to buy console for game. Rocket science.

DryvBy

Not just Service games ( they hardly have any of those anyway). They are porting their single player first party games aswell. We already can play horizon, Spider-Man, ratchet and clank, god of war, uncharted, returnal and others on PC. They just need to do day and date with PC. Ain’t too many people double dipping. And the precedent has already been set.
When did it set? The 90s? I have a copy of Twisted Metal 2 and Jet Moto on PC from the PS1 days.

saintjules

I appreciate PC gaming, but I still prefer Console right from my living room. Though I will say I have used a long HDMI cable from the PC to the OLED to play Doom and some other games.

...Now that I think about it, maybe I should try that again.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Wonder if there's a space between Switch/Switch2 & Steamdeck/PortablePC for another semi-premium handheld console...?

The OG PSP was very successful in and of itself and was only let down when compared to the DS. The PSVita was in my eyes very poorly timed, as the market was obsessed with mobile phones/tablets while contemplating the "death" of not just handhelds but traditional consoles (which turned out to be bunk). Plus, Sony's resources were all-in resurrecting PS3 & preparing for PS4.

Feel like the market has gone full circle thanks to the success of Nintendo's Switch & Valve's Steamdeck. Paired with Sony/PlayStation's very strong position right now, perhaps a third-generation PSP could be possible if it were slotted right inbetween the two. Or perhaps I'm just dreamin'... :lollipop_pensive:

Edit: ...in which case, a Li'l mockup for the dreamers:

Last edited:

Neofire

Welp it has been one hell of a ride while it lasted. While I think day one on pc is a ways off, by the Sony CEO its going to eventually happen and when it does it will cannibalized the PlayStation console sales and destroy the PlayStation ecosystem.

Sony not being able to move system=not enough revenue to fund R&D for the next iteration of PlayStation.

Neofire

Good, then there is absolutely no reason for me to own anything apart from PC and Nintendo. Perfect in my eyes.
This reinforces my initial post. Others will have this same mindset and Sony won't be able to do what Microsoft did by having a 2 trillion dollar engine keeping them in the industry.

Mr Moose

Why would they care. They don’t make much on the console. Selling games and subscription services is what makes them money. This is great news for everyone. Xbox games on PS5, PS5 on PC. The more options the better.
Because they want you in their ecosystem, they get more money. If you devalue your console, less people to buy your subscription, less day one sales of games (no 30% cut on their store) and so on.

Neofire

Because they want you in their ecosystem, they get more money. If you devalue your console, less people to buy your subscription, less day one sales of games (no 30% cut on their store) and so on.
Bingo but unfortunately the "games on every platform" crowd can't think past hoping that every single game that's on playstation comes to every non playstation platform. Ignoring what that means for that platform itself.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Most PlayStation sales are physical, where they get a much smaller cut of the sale anyways.

As for ecosystem, the idea is making PC a part of that ecosystem. Given how cheap PC ports are, it’s a no brainer to make it a second pillar.

SNG32

Sony shouldn’t do day and date to cannabalize consoles. I do believe if you have Playstation console you should have access to exclusives first. Keep the incentive of getting a PS console. By me saying that I do believe the releases to pc should be a shorter window. Like 3 to 6 months after console release. I feel they can Maximize PC sales with that approach better. A year or two is too long especially since there’s a lot that gets released on PC.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
GAF logic would then be “what’s the point in buying a PlayStation?”
dont know about "gaf logic" but I've abandoned PC and have been playing on ps3/ps4 and now ps5 since then... mainly because of the exclusivity and only wanting to desl with 01 system, I cant account for every Ps gamer out there but you can be sure, as soon as consoles are not needed anymore for exclusivity Im (a 18 years+ exclusive console gamer) going back to PC ... there's just no point in playing games worse when I can play them better on PC and have only one system as usual.

I just cant believe Im the only one that thinks this way so ... we shall see what happens if Sony choose this path.

salva

jim-ryan-mischivious.gif

On my flip side the walled garden approach cuts out millions of potential customers both on PC and other consoles. With games costing as much as they do they are at a point where maximum reach is required.

Mr Moose

On my flip side the walled garden approach cuts out millions of potential customers both on PC and other consoles. With games costing as much as they do they are at a point where maximum reach is required.
Poor Nintendo and Sony, whatever will they do without the millions of potential customers.

Papa_Wisdom

dont know about "gaf logic" but I've abandoned PC and have been playing on ps3/ps4 and now ps5 since then... mainly because of the exclusivity and only wanting to desl with 01 system, I cant account for every Ps gamer out there but you can be sure, as soon as consoles are not needed anymore for exclusivity Im (a 18 years+ exclusive console gamer) going back to PC ... there's just no point in playing games worse when I can play them better on PC and have only one system as usual.

I just cant believe Im the only one that thinks this way so ... we shall see what happens if Sony choose this path.
This is pretty much me too but with Xbox, I have a mid pc but it gets the job done. I’ve always bought PlayStation at the end of the generation, getting the console generally pre owned when there about £150 and pick up their exclusives for £5-£10 each. A lot of them don’t really appeal to me especially for the £60-£70 asking price (for example I just did not like horizon or Spider-Man even though I really wanted to) so waiting even a year for them to come out on pc is no big deal to me.

From the mid 90s to early 2000s I was really into pc gaming (apart from sega consoles, when they dropped them I switched to Xbox and slowly converted from pc to console). Over the past 5 years I’ve been getting back into pc gaming. Mainly for emulation and reliving pc games I used to play back then (unreal tournament, quake 3, command and conquer, wow etc) but also been able to play games not on Xbox (final fantasy 7 remake for example)

Going forwards I think I’d prob still buy an Xbox for og Xbox and 360 games not on pc (until emulation is good enough anyway) and skip PlayStation all together console wise but still buy their games on pc when released even if it is delayed for a period of time. The only 2 games I’m looking forwards to on the ps5 this year is final fantasy 7 rebirth and stellar blade, both of which will end up on pc anyway so what’s the point in buying the console?

It makes me chuckle with all the discourse surrounding people say they will not buy a Xbox console but buy there games on pc. I don’t think Microsoft cares, there still getting money either way . Same will happen with PlayStation.

People have the choice of ease of a console experience (of which the experience will based around that budget) or on pc with a potentially superior experience (again based on budget).

Anyway I’m rambling, hope that makes sense (prob not).

Last edited:

cireza

So the Sony CEO basically said the exact same thing MS have been saying for years. Someone must have finally understood how Xbox were actually making money in the end lol.

So basically, the strategy is to keep doing what they have been doing for years, got it.
^ ^ This.

This thread is Copium from Xbox fanboys.

The Sony CEO is just reiterating that they'll continue to do what they've done for years now. Sony's games have been on the cloud and PC for years, their strategy isn't changing and like they've been saying for a while now their consoles are their primary market.

I dunno why people are trying to equate this to the same strategy as Xbox who have gone on record several times now saying that they are bringing their games to Sony and Nintendo.

I game on a high-end PC and if Sony was indeed going day and date to PC this would make me happy as I'd save money but there's nothing here saying that they will do that and the people "celebrating" in this thread are being disingenuous for platform wars.

DryvBy

……… So your saying Sony have always been making a big push to put Playstation games on PC since the 90s?

If you say so……

You guys acting like Sony hasn't ever done this before. Sony has always had a following on PC. EverQuest was the biggest MMO for a while.

The big push on PC is what they've said. GAAS now, years later you can get scraps on PC. Not a huge deal like people pretend it is.

Hudo

you are now getting Drawn to Death.
I'd rather be torn to death than playing David Jaffe's "finest" offering.

But how dare you! Calling Motorstorm "B-tier". Pacific Rift is the second-best arcade racer of all time (Burnout 3 still sits at the top).

bender

What time is it?
I'd rather be torn to death than playing David Jaffe's "finest" offering.

But how dare you! Calling Motorstorm "B-tier". Pacific Rift is the second-best arcade racer of all time (Burnout 3 still sits at the top).

At least you didn't say Burnout Paradise. Blech. I still think Point of Impact is the best Burnout. The Motorstorm games range from fine to good but I'd take a lot of other arcade racers over them.

Hudo

At least you didn't say Burnout Paradise. Blech. I still think Point of Impact is the best Burnout. The Motorstorm games range from fine to good but I'd take a lot of other arcade racers over them.
give me your top 5, then.

Calverz

I think this year we will see some kind of psn integration into windows pc. I biggest hope is that allows cross saves going forward from that point. Honestly that’s the best thing about the Xbox strategy in my opinion and would be great for PlayStation/pc gamers.

Fredrik

Ew Mouse keyboard and constant updates I actually wanna play games.
You can use the exact same controllers you have for your consoles. And updates are less intrusive on PC, you barely even notice them happen.

From my perspective as a long time console gamer there has mostly been upsides from moving onto PC. The few downsides are the cost, occasional bad ports, and constant FOMO since new hardware comes out all the time. You have to always remember to focus on what you actually need, especially if you build your own PC. I have a 1500W PSU. Why? No idea. And do I need a 360hz Gsync Pulsar screen? Not likely. But I want it!
Keep your wallet closed as long as possible.

You can use the exact same controllers you have for your consoles. And updates are less intrusive on PC, you barely even notice them happen.

From my perspective as a long time console gamer there has mostly been upsides from moving onto PC. The few downsides are the cost, occasional bad ports, and constant FOMO since new hardware comes out all the time. You have to always remember to focus on what you actually need, especially if you build your own PC. I have a 1500W PSU. Why? No idea. And do I need a 360hz Gsync Pulsar screen? Not likely. But I want it!
Keep your wallet closed as long as possible.

PC gaming is a pretty big investment. The cost is worth it for me but I can understand why not everyone wants to put 2000 euro on the table.

Fredrik

PC gaming is a pretty big investment. The cost is worth it for me but I can understand why not everyone wants to put 2000 euro on the table.
Absolutely. The cost is a big deal. I wish I only payed 2000 euro for my current PC, just the graphics card cost me more. 🤕

But I’d say that the concerns about too many updates and having to play with the mouse are coming from not having any new experience in the platform. Or exaggeration, there are rare exceptions I’m sure. 99% of the time you can just go to Steam, choose game and click start, pick up a control device of your choice and start playing.

Kssio_Aug

I love PC, but for me the main issue is the hardware price. Building a PC with what I believe would have a similar performance to a console might cost me about twice as much, and I still need to give it maintenance over time. I mean... I had a PS3 for 10 years, and I have a PS4 with this same age, and never needed to open them for a cleaning once in my life, and it doesn't feel like it has lost any performance for overheating or whatever.

I still have a PC with an RX 480, that, besides still surprisingly good to play some modern games, it severely needs a good dust cleaning, as well changing some coolers that are malfunctioning, and replacing the thermal paste, causing it to overheat sometimes.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I love PC, but for me the main issue is the hardware price. Building a PC with what I believe would have a similar performance to a console might cost me about twice as much, and I still need to give it maintenance over time. I mean... I had a PS3 for 10 years, and I have a PS4 with this same age, and never needed to open them for a cleaning once in my life, and it doesn't feel like it has lost any performance for overheating or whatever.

I still have a PC with an RX 480, that, besides still surprisingly good to play some modern games, it severely needs a good dust cleaning, as well changing some coolers that are malfunctioning, and replacing the thermal paste, causing it to overheat sometimes.
When someone brag about being filthy for 10 years....

Famipan

On PC you can use any controller such as DS4 and not just a DualSense for PS5-games.

There is something called graphics settings on PC which basically means I CAN use an i5 8400 CPU and an old 1060 3GB GPU I bought second hand in 2018 for around 150-200USD + cheaper nvme SSD and play Days Gone in more stable framerate, hugely faster loading ALTHOUGH in 720p-1080p compared to the PS4-ver on PS5.

With the same gear I can also play a game called Portal in 4K 120hz on my LG OLED and thanks to Steam’s generous controller settings, I can set up a smoother acceleration curve for the DS4-joysticks and practically get a controller-friendly PS-version of Portal. The vibration was also there and felt just like a PS-version which PS might never get.

If you could get something a little bit better such as a GTX1070 8GB VRAM you can probably play most modern games perfectly fine.

TLDR: Just buy an old desktop PC and try it out instead of buying stuff new.
At least the GPU and maybe the mobo and cpu is good to get second hand.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

When someone brag about being filthy for 10 years....
I'm not bragging neither am filthy, and that's why generally my consoles and peripherals last for many years without any issues.

But you know very well that PC needs more maintenance over time, since they usually generate more heat, exhaust more the fans, and their cases often have more open spaces to promote better airflow, naturally accumulating more dust. There's also the fact that I end up running my PC for longer periods of time because I don't use it just for games.

The dust I clean from time to time, but I suck at disassembling parts so I avoid changing the thermal paste and fixing the coolers by myself.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I'm not bragging neither am filthy, and that's why generally my consoles and peripherals last for many years without any issues.

But you know very well that PC needs more maintenance over time, since they usually generate more heat, exhaust more the fans, and their cases often have more open spaces to promote better airflow, naturally accumulating more dust. There's also the fact that I end up running my PC for longer periods of time because I don't use it just for games.

The dust I clean from time to time, but I suck at disassembling parts so I avoid changing the thermal paste and fixing the coolers by myself.

I was joking.

Also. With PC, you kinda need to open it when you want to upgrade. Also, buy a good case with good dust filters.

You can also buy the electric safe air dust cans and you are good to go to spray the fans to clean them.

Your really only maintenance is if something breaks . Like windows or your water cooler if you didn't go air cooler.

But then again you comparing a PC to a console. PC is pretty much everything you need in terms of life style whatever music work games editing .

So by default a more delicate tech needs more attention that a plastic box with bare minimum to run games. Not even a browser anymore.

I do love my ps5. But for one reason only. The super exclusives I don't get on PC for months / years. But other than that ? Yeah no not worth it.

Even the argument about playing on front of a tv while sitting on a sofa is not even valid as you can run a second HDMI cable from the PC and ur good to go. You only need one of those 10$ mini keyboard / mouse combos to put it beside your sofa and ur golden . Or hell run steam big windows on start up and ur good to go.

Again. I love consoles. They are cheap. The hype and day one games gets any gamer hyped and excited to buy one.

But they age really quickly. And when that hype is gone... Eh it's no longer fun. I look at the ps5 now same way I look at the PS4 console. A box that can run games per minimum and gives you some experience ..better than nothing .

Last edited:

yurinka

Welp it has been one hell of a ride while it lasted. While I think day one on pc is a ways off, by the Sony CEO its going to eventually happen and when it does it will cannibalized the PlayStation console sales and destroy the PlayStation ecosystem.

Sony not being able to move system=not enough revenue to fund R&D for the next iteration of PlayStation.
Sony said multiple times that they'll go day one on PC for some GaaS titles, but for the rest they will continue being released as late ports 2 or more years after their original release. If they ever get ported, because they won't port all theri games to PC.

So far the effect has been PS5 improving its sales of hardware (with around half of customers new to the PS brand, not PS4 users who upgraded) and PS5 only sequels of the games ported to PC getting sales records. There is no metric that indicates any negative effect of the PC ports on PS.

Last edited:
I'm weary about this guy. He could either bring PlayStation fully back on track, or 'Xboxify' the brand, and you know that means. A gradual onset of diminished value towards the console, talking a big game of how console players are still the primary focus while their actions say otherwise through less exclusives and higher prices vs. PC players and lower quality control/polish of software releases across the board.

Hoping he is not PlayStation's Phil Spencer, but you honestly never know until they get to making their moves. Guess we'll start to find out soon, March isn't that far away.

Sony said multiple times that they'll go day one on PC for some GaaS titles, but for the rest they will continue being released as late ports 2 or more years after their original release. If they ever get ported, because they won't port all theri games to PC.

So far the effect has been PS5 improving its sales of hardware (with around half of customers new to the PS brand, not PS4 users who upgraded) and PS5 only sequels of the games ported to PC getting sales records. There is no metric that indicates any negative effect of the PC ports on PS.

Honest truth: talk is cheap. These CEOs can say anything they want meanwhile their actions say the complete opposite.

We still don't know the full extent of the 2-year porting window policy's effect on hardcore & core enthusiasts in the PS ecosystem yet. We can arguably say we have to a small extent with PSVR2, but slow adoption of that peripheral could be chalked up to other factors. If PS5 Pro has a more tepid adoption rate, though, then we'll start to have some clearer evidence that strategy is having a negative effect.

Last edited:

RickMasters

You guys acting like Sony hasn't ever done this before. Sony has always had a following on PC. EverQuest was the biggest MMO for a while.

The big push on PC is what they've said. GAAS now, years later you can get scraps on PC. Not a huge deal like people pretend it is.

They had a bunch of PC only games at one point. They even had a dev that had some mmo sci fi shooter ( I think it was called planet scape or something like that) years ago before they sold them.

…… but that was all seperate from Playstation stuff. They weren’t really putting Playstation games on PC. See the difference?

You say their focus is GASS and ‘giving PC the “scraps” years later. But they have halved their GASS efforts, cancelled some of those games and honestly it’s looking marathon will be the only one that amounts to anything. So it looks like they will be more balanced than you suggest. I also expect the time between PS and PC releases to shorten dramatically soon.

Top Bottom