• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kenichiro Yoshida: Playstation will expand gaming experience to PC, mobile and cloud

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s hilarious to me people don’t get that a pc gamer won’t buy a ps5 to play exclusive games.

It’s because the idea of playing any game on inferior hardware, or closed hardware, or hardware that can’t play WOW, or whatever justifications, goes against the decidedly different “culture” pc gamers seem to share.

Discord, modding, hardware enthusiasts, emulation, DOTA2, LOL, massive MMORPGs, survival phenomenons, sim games, and most streamers are just somethings off the top of my head that make up unique parts of pc gaming.

PC Gamers will buy PlayStation games that come out on pc though because the barrier to entry is gone…well as long as they come out on steam.

Also, ps exclusives aren’t that great anyway…the only exception being bloodborne. I’m fine playing less woke games, but I am happy for those that care.
But pc players add getting A ps5 man. I know few people like that. Exclusives have a pull and the more of them the better.
Buddy got ps5 for gt7 and bloodborne. He now played few more games too

Mister Wolf

This will kill PlayStation and AAA exclusives with it since there will be no need to attract people to console. Very short term thinking and brand damage. Every Sony game on pc is less exclusive console pulling power.
Just look at Microsoft.

Shame since I like console gaming.
Also, pc users don’t like purchasing full price day 1. They do like Pirating though

We also love buying cheap worldwide keys that come from other regions. It's one of the greatest perks about being a PC gamer.

Looks like it's time for Trunks again.
Gravity Rush 1 & 2 PC and PS5 port
Gravity Rush 3, come on Sony, you know you want to make it. :)
Jax and Daxter Remastered Collection PC / PS5
18f6474f7ce316ba4c1d894e13283eea.gif

Socom Reboot PC/PS5
207836.gif

Ghost of Tsushima Complete Edition, PC
Demon Souls Remake PC
dda1ff8fd9f365a11ee228cdd4b85e0d.gif

This will kill PlayStation and AAA exclusives with it since there will be no need to attract people to console. Very short term thinking and brand damage. Every Sony game on pc is less exclusive console pulling power.
Just look at Microsoft.

Also, pc users don’t like purchasing full price day 1. They do like Pirating though
I agree. We literally already have a template. Microsoft did this and it didn’t work out so well for them

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
We also love buying cheap worldwide keys that come from other regions. It's one of the greatest perks about being a PC gamer.
Yeah, it’s just a different type of gamer. The definition of a pc gamer is a bit amorphous as there are a lot of sub cultures that make up pc gaming as a whole. There are also gamers that own multiple consoles and a pc but they are a smaller niche.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
What people don't understand is this guy is just reposting what Ryan's vision is. Ryan, will be replaced in March April. Who ever is selected can easily change the road map of playstation.

This interview changed nothing. It's the same vision and wording. When march hits will be the new focus of the company as 5 not 4 are in the running for that position.

Audiophile

Gold Member
People will crap on me for this given that the Series S was a poorly executed bag o' dicks from a dev / tech perspective. But, I think Sony should do a "Lite" console out of the gate alongside their main console for the PS6 gen.

Only instead of a gimped box with 33% of the GPU power with different clocks, 62% of the RAM, 40% of the Bandwidth & 200MHz less CPU clock...

It'd be a system with 66% of the GPU power at the same clocks, an identical CPU, 66-75% of the RAM/Bandwidth & half the storage. Even better would be this approach with a chiplet setup that switches one GPU chiplet in for another, or adds a second one. XSS took it too far with too many elements imo, but this would be a genuine resolution scale of around -33% (+ less storage, smaller footprint, disproportionately cheaper to build and cheaper to pack/ship). If the core PS6 does a native 1800p or equivalent in a given game, the "Lite" would do 1440-1512p.

If MS start phasing out, Sony are gonna want to hoover up as many off their cast off customers as possible; a well-executed cheaper box with negligible effect on the fundamental technical featureset of the platform would be an absolute killer to get more people into the ecosystem. Not to mention those core gamers are a more valuable, foundational customer unlike the more fickle mainstream they're chasing elsewhere.

I think a midgen "Pro" plugs the gap nicely between the base/core system and the much more expensive PC space, but a "Lite" system done well and within a more successful platform could plug the gap nicely between the budget gamer and that base/core system. I know this is more of a thread about additional platforms but I think there's still untapped spots in the traditional space, not to mention the aforementioned core competitor customers who may soon be looking for a new home.

I did a bit of a mockup on this concept over the PS6 gen in another thread. It's all a bit out there with some pipedream stacked HBM stuff + PCIe6, but you could easily imagine it with a more realistic G6x/GDDR7 & perhaps PCIe 5..

Had some spare time earlier and got to thinking about chiplets, got a bit carried away with some mockups/concepts for the entire generation. Kind of out there with stacked HBM and all kinds of craziness..

Also, I know there's a strong aversion to the concept of a low-powered, budget system at launch due to the XSS, but I think that's just a matter of poor execution (~40% bandwidth rather than 65-75%, low absolute memory, 1/3 gpu power rather than 1/2-to-2/3 etc.) so I baked the idea of a well-executed lower power system into this, along with "midgen" consoles and a "twilight" console for the transition to the gen afterwards:

Last edited:

Jesb

I think it’s the same strategy for Sony. Port games to PC that are a good fit for the platform. I don’t think there gonna release day one with everything.

Exentryk

I mean Sony have already been releasing games on PC, although a year later. And the guy in OP didn't say anything about day 1 on PC, so until that happens, it's non-news.

Outside of PC, I think Sony and MS need to cut out this "pie in the sky" thinking that there's some untapped market of hundreds of billions of gamers out there on PC, Mobile and Cloud.

Cloud is a dead platform. Stadia proved that. As well as every other attempt prior. No-one wants to play games like that.

PC is PC. PC gamers are a cool way of adding an extra couple of million sales to your console release. But PC isn't suddenly going to triple the sales of your FP console games. Most people who play AAA console games prefer to play them on console. Those who don't are a far smaller number, and the largest user base on PC doesn't play console games; they play RTSs, survival games, city builder sims etc etc (i.e the kinds of games that don't work on console).

Mobile is lol. It's a different market. No one on mobile is looking to play Horizon: Zero Dawn on a 7-inch screen. Console is such a superior way of playing games like that it's not even funny.

Unless by Cloud and Mobile he's referring to the PS Portal, I don't see how PS can significantly expand their user base beyond consoles. They should focus on consoles but also go back to making games for the younger demographic. That demographic is exclusively Nintendo's bread and butter and they are currently sitting uncontested in that age range. But the clincher is, if you don't catch them at that age, they won't grow up and want to play COD No. 8282 on console. They will grow up and buy Nintendo consoles or play on mobile.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The definition of a pc gamer is a bit amorphous as there are a lot of sub cultures that make up pc gaming as a whole.
It's why I love it. PC gamers aren't as easy as one gigantic group you can put us into.

Every Playstation guy is going to have a hard on for GOW, TLOU, Uncharted, etc

Every Xbox dude will have a hard on for Halo, Forza, Gears, etc

Every Nintenbro will have a hard on for Mario, Zelda, Smash. (though i feel their community is a bit more segmented than the others due to Nintendo's breadth of IPs)

You can ask a PC gamer what they play and you'd get a variety of responses, they're from many different communities and games that a one PC gamer may enjoy the other may despise.

bender

What time is it?
It's why I love it. PC gamers aren't as easy as one gigantic group you can put us into.

Every Playstation guy is going to have a hard on for GOW, TLOU, Uncharted, etc

Every Xbox dude will have a hard on for Halo, Forza, Gears, etc

Every Nintenbro will have a hard on for Mario, Zelda, Smash. (though i feel their community is a bit more segmented than the others due to Nintendo's breadth of IPs)

You can ask a PC gamer what they play and you'd get a variety of responses, they're from many different communities and games that a one PC gamer may enjoy the other may despise.

I don't really think it's easy to categorize any gigantic groups once your are talking about 100m+ userbases.

Dorago

They think this will "save" them i.e. give the YOY growth they think they need. Just race to the bottom bullshit. Every PlayStation game released on PC cheapens the brand and shifts finite resources away from, you guessed it, making more games for their systems. They are stuck in this paranoid, infantile, race to the bottom loop with state run entities like Microsoft and it's just pathetic to see.

keefged4

I mean, the only reason I have a PS5 right now is for FF7R Rebirth. If that was coming to Steam at the same time then I would have sold the PS5 months ago. So this is "good" news, I don't understand why anyone would see this as a negative? Everyone wins.

Generic

They think this will "save" them i.e. give the YOY growth they think they need. Just race to the bottom bullshit. Every PlayStation game released on PC cheapens the brand and shifts finite resources away from, you guessed it, making more games for their systems. They are stuck in this paranoid, infantile, race to the bottom loop with state run entities like Microsoft and it's just pathetic to see.
"Every PlayStation game released on PC cheapens the brand"

Why?

Killjoy-NL

It’s hilarious to me people don’t get that a pc gamer won’t buy a ps5 to play exclusive games.

It’s because the idea of playing any game on inferior hardware, or closed hardware, or hardware that can’t play WOW, or whatever justifications, goes against the decidedly different “culture” pc gamers seem to share.

Discord, modding, hardware enthusiasts, emulation, DOTA2, LOL, massive MMORPGs, survival phenomenons, sim games, and most streamers are just somethings off the top of my head that make up unique parts of pc gaming.

PC Gamers will buy PlayStation games that come out on pc though because the barrier to entry is gone…well as long as they come out on steam.

Also, ps exclusives aren’t that great anyway…the only exception being bloodborne. I’m fine playing less woke games, but I am happy for those that care.
On the flip-side, PC gamers don't seem to understand that the vast majority of console gamers don't care about PC gaming at all.
They just want a cheap(er) system that plays the latest games without having to worry about system requirements, drivers and all that.

Last edited:

Fredrik

After buying a Steam Deck and all this rumors I am more convinced to jump to PC only.
Yeah I’m already sitting on the fence waiting on PC versions for some of their games, was difficult at first but I’ve got used to it now. I barely use my consoles. Currently waiting on Spider-Man 2 and FFXVI. Sucks to never have their games on my GOTY list but it is what it is, I don’t enjoy double dipping.

onQ123

Outside of PC, I think Sony and MS need to cut out this "pie in the sky" thinking that there's some untapped market of hundreds of billions of gamers out there on PC, Mobile and Cloud.

Cloud is a dead platform. Stadia proved that. As well as every other attempt prior. No-one wants to play games like that.

PC is PC. PC gamers are a cool way of adding an extra couple of million sales to your console release. But PC isn't suddenly going to triple the sales of your FP console games. Most people who play AAA console games prefer to play them on console. Those who don't are a far smaller number, and the largest user base on PC doesn't play console games; they play RTSs, survival games, city builder sims etc etc (i.e the kinds of games that don't work on console).

Mobile is lol. It's a different market. No one on mobile is looking to play Horizon: Zero Dawn on a 7-inch screen. Console is such a superior way of playing games like that it's not even funny.

Unless by Cloud and Mobile he's referring to the PS Portal, I don't see how PS can significantly expand their user base beyond consoles. They should focus on consoles but also go back to making games for the younger demographic. That demographic is exclusively Nintendo's bread and butter and they are currently sitting uncontested in that age range. But the clincher is, if you don't catch them at that age, they won't grow up and want to play COD No. 8282 on console. They will grow up and buy Nintendo consoles or play on mobile.
Cloud isn't dead you hoes just scared!

The key to Cloud gaming will be using it like the Arcade back in the day releasing games that can't be played natively on home consoles until a few years later.

yurinka

What people don't understand is this guy is just reposting what Ryan's vision is. Ryan, will be replaced in March April. Who ever is selected can easily change the road map of playstation.

This interview changed nothing. It's the same vision and wording. When march hits will be the new focus of the company as 5 not 4 are in the running for that position.
The current strategy was already there before Jim Ryan and will continue after him. As Yoshida said, Sony will continue focusing on console but also will continue expanding in PC, mobile and cloud.

The PC stuff started before Jim Ryan and Hermen, when Yoshida and Shawn Layden were there. Sony has been making phone games since 2003.

Their cloud gaming long term vision was announced in 2013 and included to expand it to smartphones, tablets and smart tvs, something we know they have been working on due to multiple related patents and because in 2019 they announced it as part of their 'next gen plans' for their cloud gaming.

The roadmap won't change a shit, specially because the current strategy has been breaking all types of records and they have been growing a lot during the Jim Ryan era in all areas.

All their plans and projects in hardware, accesories, games and services under develoment will continue forward, same goes with the deals they made with all these Asian companies to make mobile games.

Every PlayStation game released on PC cheapens the brand and shifts finite resources away from, you guessed it, making more games for their systems.
Every PlayStation game released on PC makes their brand more well known and help them reach many new fans, some of them end buying the console. But even the ones who don't generate them a lot of profit.

We saw in the Insomniac leaks that each port only takes a couple million dollars. Sony generated last fiscal year alone with their games outside PS around $450M. And every year that number grows more and more. In the first half of the current fiscal year they grew 55% YoY. This is a ton of profit that goes to fund new games (and ports).

Last edited:

angrod14

MS: "We want Gamepass on the Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, PC, Tablets, iOS, Android, the Cloud, your home appliances if possible".

Sony: "PlayStation will expand to PC, mobile and the cloud".

Nintendo: "Switch is the first system to feature cartridges since the N64. We also will be selling compatible SNES and Gamecube controllers, which if you purchase you wave all your rights".

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

In an interview with Norges Bank Investment Management, the Sony CEO talked about where he sees the future of gaming for PlayStation going in both the short and near term.

“It will be ubiquitous,” Yoshida said. “Wherever there is computing, users will be able to play their favorite games seamlessly. Why PlayStation will remain our core product [is] we will expand our gaming experiences to PC, mobile, and cloud.”

Speaking of the cloud and non-traditional gaming, Yoshida was asked about the movement towards subscription services for gaming. It’s something that, while he sees the value in, doesn’t believe it’s a catch-all solution for gamers.

“People usually play one game at a time,” he said. “So [the] all you can eat type of many games may not be so valuable compared with video streaming services. So we’ll have a kind of balanced or hybrid service on PlayStation Network: a subscription as well as pay-per-content.”

RickMasters

Hasn't this been the plan for a while. Service games going day one to PC?

Not just Service games ( they hardly have any of those anyway). They are porting their single player first party games aswell. We already can play horizon, Spider-Man, ratchet and clank, god of war, uncharted, returnal and others on PC. They just need to do day and date with PC. Ain’t too many people double dipping. And the precedent has already been set.

SenkiDala

But pc players add getting A ps5 man. I know few people like that. Exclusives have a pull and the more of them the better.
Buddy got ps5 for gt7 and bloodborne. He now played few more games too
And also most of PC gamers, and I mean 95% of PC gamers have a 700€/$ rig, approximatly, or less.

"PCMR" is not only about the superior graphics but it's about a philosophy of freedom, flexibility, modding for some people, etc.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Looks like Microsoft was on to something.

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF
Sony started doing cloud gaming years ago.
Sony has been releasing games on PC for years.
Sony has always talked about releasing games on mobile

I don't know why Xbox fans believe Sony is copying Microsoft.

The difference between this and Xbox is that Xbox fans are pretending consoles are useless when Sony looks to expand outside of consoles.

Godot25

Banned
Honestly, it would be great. I really don't need PlayStation 5 to play 1-2 first-party games per year. Give me Android TV app, I will give you my money for games/sub service and I can play it through cloud.

Win win

KungFucius

King Snowflake
How to devalue your console in 3 easy steps.
Because console is all that matters longer term right? Why should Sony care if people who are primarily PC gamers buy Sony games on PC and skip the PS console. Those who want a console will still buy one. Those who buy the console just for Sony Exclusives because PC is their main platform only pay for themselves if they buy accessories which isn't guaranteed.

A PS store on PC that offers the PS++ services and day one exclusives would serve that market better than keeping it all on the consoles so console fanboys wont cry.

When a fanoy says publishing exclusives on other platforms devalues their platform, they are really just saying that it makes them feel less special for worshipping that console. It is sad really. I feel wronged because someone who didn't buy the same system as me can enjoy the same games. So fucking lame. If the company can make more money on games, you will get to play more of their games.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Because console is all that matters longer term right? Why should Sony care if people who are primarily PC gamers buy Sony games on PC and skip the PS console. Those who want a console will still buy one. Those who buy the console just for Sony Exclusives because PC is their main platform only pay for themselves if they buy accessories which isn't guaranteed.

A PS store on PC that offers the PS++ services and day one exclusives would serve that market better than keeping it all on the consoles so console fanboys wont cry.
idk man seeing a guy w/ a Mario avatar write this is silly, because Nintendo would never do it. they know it would devalue their brand. i just don't see the same energy for nintendo games being ported to pc basically ever.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not sure exactly when it happened, but sports on PC just dropped off the earth. On console they kept on chugging. But at one time, PC had all the EA sports games. And when do still do a port, the PC version would be a last gen console version until they eventually use the latest game engine. I guess PC sports sales are just plain crap and people prefer playing sports on console.

I don’t think the PC audience was going for meager yearly updates being sold at full price.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just look at Microsoft.

You are living proof that what you’re saying is just fear mongering.
Even with a PC more powerful than a PS5, you still choose to buy games on PS5.

We can look at real world sales of Sony’s games on PC, to see that this is all Chicken Little nonsense. What brand damage is there when the PS5 is outpacing the PS4? Real world facts show that you’re wrong.

Subscriptions have already dried out. Their main money maker is still their walled garden with their 30% take. Them expecting to make more money on PC while keeping the same revenue on console is a disillusion. They should ask Microsoft how that worked out for them.

Last edited:

wolffy66

I agree. We literally already have a template. Microsoft did this and it didn’t work out so well for them
Both MS and Nintendo make a greater ROI than Sony.

Sony absolutely is looking to sell more software. They're already dominant consoles and it's still 3rd in $$$ returned for $$$ spent. They want more.

Think about the price of a console, that's say $400 and then sell lets say 4, 1st party games. That cost them a lot to get those game sales.

Now sell those same 4 games to someone on PC and they just saved themselves the cost of making a console. It's a big improvement to ROI, especially if they have a storefront.

I'm not saying consoles aren't important because they are key to brand loyalty but there's cheaper ways for sales as well.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's pretty clear every knows or fears that mainstream gaming across multiple everyday devices is coming faster than they thought and now it's time to start working towards their service app platform. You can try to spin this as some console war stuff all you want but the truth is right in front our faces.

Last edited:
Top Bottom