• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kenichiro Yoshida: Playstation will expand gaming experience to PC, mobile and cloud

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
IMG-4607.jpg

graywolf323

Do people really play (at least the mainstream, stupid annual refresh) sports games on PC? I have no idea.
FIFA and Madden sold pretty well on Steam last year IIRC, I think there’s definitely an appeal with devices like the Steam Deck & ROG Ally out there

both FIFA 23 & FC24 were gold tier (top 25), NBA 2K23 at silver (top 50), and F1 23 came in at bronze (top 100)

looks like I may have been wrong about Madden though, at least it wasn’t in the top 100 on Steam (and it only has ~4,500 user reviews while F1 has ~11k)

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
In their most recent report Sony shown that including Bungie their games made almost half a billion dollars outside PS in the last fiscal year alone.
Show me please because that number is the exact estimated number Sony had on their charts for what they wanted it to be at and it was only at 18% of that currently.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do people really play (at least the mainstream, stupid annual refresh) sports games on PC? I have no idea.
Not sure exactly when it happened, but sports on PC just dropped off the earth. On console they kept on chugging. But at one time, PC had all the EA sports games. And when do still do a port, the PC version would be a last gen console version until they eventually use the latest game engine. I guess PC sports sales are just plain crap and people prefer playing sports on console.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not sure exactly when it happened , but sports on PC just dropped off the earth. On console they kept on chugging. But at one time, PC had all the EA sports games. And when do still do a port, the PC version would be a last gen console version until they eventually use the latest game engine. I guess PC sports sales are just plain crap and people prefer playing sports on console.

It's there in what you wrote.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Didn't SM2 need 7+ Million sales to break even? Looking outside your ecosystem goes beyond obvious to necessary.

Probably not. This isn't new. An Xbox fanboy on X/Twitter took an old video from last year and pretends it's some new announcement.
SMH. It's the only upcoming PlayStation exclusive that actually interests me. We need it on PC because most people wouldn't buy a console for a single game. Meanwhile, over at Microsoft. I have a small interest in Perfect Dark Reboot and Fable, but Phil Spencer knows that I wouldn't buy an Xbox to save my own life. That's why both are coming day one on a PC!

TheTony316

SMH. It's the only upcoming PlayStation exclusive that actually interests me. We need it on PC because most people wouldn't buy a console for a single game. Meanwhile, over at Microsoft. I have a small interest in Perfect Dark Reboot and Fable, but Phil Spencer knows that I wouldn't buy an Xbox to save my own life. That's why both are coming day one on a PC!

Stellar Blade will be on PC, just not day 1.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I stole this from someone on this forum but it seems a good time to throw it out, as well:

PDM7vbu.jpg
LOL. The good 'ol trojan horse theory. Release a PC port years later with the notion it'll entice a PC gamer to switch to PS5 for a sequel that comes out 5 years later and pay PS+ online fees.

All the while, their GAAS games are coming to PC day one. Helldivers 2 is a good example of their GAAS strategy already in action.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
]
The easiest one to play on PC too, ironically enough.
For ten years at this point.

Further irony (I think) is that it being easy to play on PC is why they don't need to look to the PC audience (yet). Lower end hardware and not doing crazy licensing deals means their production costs are lower than their competition and they can produce enough games on their own to make their platforms successful. Sprinkle in the Nintendo magic that that gives their sales cycles incredibly long sales without the need for massive price drops and that their tent pole games sell far better than most other titles and Nintendo can stay relatively insulated.

Stamps1646

Wants:
Gravity Rush 1 & 2 PC and PS5 port
Gravity Rush 3, come on Sony, you know you want to make it. :)
Jax and Daxter Remastered Collection PC / PS5
Ghost of Tsushima Complete Edition, PC
Demon Souls Remake PC
Socom Reboot PC/PS5

Miles708

Call me old-fashioned but I don't understand how a console manufacturer can think making its console less appealing can be a good long term strategy.

Clearly I'm missing something but i still don't get it.

bender

What time is it?
Call me old-fashioned but I don't understand how a console manufacturer can think making its console less appealing can be a good long term strategy.

Clearly I'm missing something but i still don't get it.

Games needing to sell 7M+ to break even because of development, licensing, and marketing costs while platform userbases aren't growing proportionately.

My soul, crushed.

You'll probably get 1-2 from your wishlist (DS, GOT).

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It's not Gaf logic, it's just logic.

You think I'm still buying a console and having to put up with paying to play games online if all their games are on PC day one?

Not a chance.

I think there's a difference between primarily PC gamers who own a console for the odd exclusive and primarily console players. The former make up a minority and barely contribute to the hardware maker's ecosystem - losing the handful of consoles they sell to these people in exchange for being able to market their first-party games to tens of millions of new potential customers would be a net gain.

The latter, on the other hand, are mostly firmly entrenched in the console ecosystem of their choice. These are the sort who will sometimes post stuff like "I don't want to tinker with my system, I just want to sit down and play" or "I hate deciding between different options, let the developers choose what's best for me." For them, console games becoming available on PC day one is effectively irrelevant: most of them will continue to prefer consoles because of the convenience, cost, accessibility, friends network, or any number of other reasons.

Basically, this idea that PC getting games on day one would render consoles pointless or create a mass exodus of players from console to PC is very silly.

Bry0

A lot honestly. FC 24 went on sale on steam and hit like 95k concurrent players. F1 is pretty popular, 2k nba and madden seem to sell quite a bit.

Fbh

Haven't read through the 4 pages but is there any more context to this?
OP is some low quality hard to understand video of this Yoshida guy saying something during what looks like an online interview. And then some tweet talking as if Sony had just announced every game moving forward will be day 1 on PC.

Bry0

When Gran Turismo is on PC I'll believe it.
People keep telling me it will happen because of the nvidia leak but I still don’t buy it.
It would be awesome and I would love it, but I still just don’t buy it.

I bought a ps5 and psvr2 just for GT7 and I have 0 regrets though. It’s just so good. Lol

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Games needing to sell 7M+ to break even because of development, licensing, and marketing costs while platform userbases aren't growing proportionately.
This I understand.
I mean if you can get another 15/20mill from another platform it makes sense.
And for years people have been saying to release on PC and it'll sell gangbusters!
But when the highest selling game sells as much as the Callisto Protocol and the rest sell like japanese waifu games in the west it does make you wonder.
And then you have people saying "but they're making loads from it so it doesn't matter"
How?
Are they charging per hour of gameplay or something because the numbers don't match the revenue people are suggesting.
They're definitely making money no doubt, but I wouldn't even say their sales have reached the heights of underwhelming.
Now I ain't saying they should stop porting games, but they do need to analyse the market and choose what to release instead just releasing whatever they can.

nowhat

Haven't read through the 4 pages but is there any more context to this?
Basically:
  • There's an interview from last year reiterating Sony's publicly known strategy, which is to have some games on PC (after a delay) unless they're of the live service kind (in which case PC may/will be there day one)
  • There have been rumors of MS going multiplatform, because the Series sales are quite terrible, even in the US
  • Xbots over at X-Twitter are in full damage control mode, so someone uploaded that old interview with a "gotcha, them too" angle, and saying Sony's first-party (and single-player) titles will be on PC day one, although there's factually nothing to suggest this
So it's pretty much a nothingburger, born out of desperation.

Last edited:

Crayon

From the insomniac leaks, there is so much headroom for them to make more on pc. On the other hand, that's because they've been borderline taking advantage releasing old stuff at full price. There's room to go harder but pulling back would mean almost not releasing anything at all. They must be thinking about pushing it a little more, but it doesn't look like they are going to go microsoft on it at all.

Either way, I see this was dredged up from a while ago. Good luck with that angle.

yurinka

They're definitely making money no doubt, but I wouldn't even say their sales have reached the heights of underwhelming.
Show me please because that number is the exact estimated number Sony had on their charts for what they wanted it to be at and it was only at 18% of that currently.
You threw that 18% out of your ass, in the first half of this fiscal year the Sony first party games did $250,99M outside PS (so PC + Destiny 2 in Xbox, there's also MLB in other consoles but not published by Sony so pretty likely isn't included here).

As can be seen here under "Other software", the first 2 quarters of the current fiscal year made 37.18B Yen ($250.99M) an increase of around 55% YoY compared to the previous fiscal year.

A previous fiscal year where they did 67.73B Yen, which now are $457,21M.

image.png

image.png

Source is Sony's most recent fiscal report (supplemental information):
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/23q2_supplement.pdf

Please notice this chart includes Bungie for the full FY22, while the chart you mention about their 450M estimate only did include Bungie for FY22 since they completed their acquisition in summer. And that 450M was only for PC, while this one I post (because it's the only number they share) also includes some extra residual revenue from other non PS platforms (case of Destiny 2 in Xbox).

Destiny 2 is a 7 years old game and we saw in the leaked Insomniac doc that the cost of the barely half a dozen PC ports they published is around $2M each. With that they made almost half a billion outside PS last fiscal year, and in the first half of the current one they improved it in a 55%. Imagine what is going to happen soon when instead of having 1 GaaS on PC they'll have multiple ones, and brand new instead of old. Plus throwing more old SP game ports there.

PC is a highly profitable business for them, basically free money.

Last edited:
also oddly MLB doesn’t even release on PC 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah, not quite sure I understand the reasoning here, but it is possible that Sony San Diego just doesn't have the resources yet to manage a PC port and they haven't been mandated to do so.

It could also be a publishing issue. I believe Sony doesn't publish the game on Switch and Xbox and that the MLB has worked out something with publishers on both. So it could just be a matter of there not being a PC publisher available and Sony simply doesn't have the rights to publish it on PC themselves and hasn't changed to contract to allow them to do so.

bender

What time is it?
This I understand.
I mean if you can get another 15/20mill from another platform it makes sense.
And for years people have been saying to release on PC and it'll sell gangbusters!
But when the highest selling game sells as much as the Callisto Protocol and the rest sell like japanese waifu games in the west it does make you wonder.
And then you have people saying "but they're making loads from it so it doesn't matter"
How?
Are they charging per hour of gameplay or something because the numbers don't match the revenue people are suggesting.
Now I ain't saying they should stop porting games, but they do need to analyse the market and choose what to release instead just releasing whatever they can.

It looks like most games Sony has ported has sold between half a million to a little over 3 million unit with the exception of Sackboy if we are going by the Insomniac leaks. I'll try to be conservative and say they make 30-50% of MSRP selling their games on PC when you factor in Steam's cut, sales, key resellers, regional pricing. If you think that is too much or too little, feel free to readjust.

Title: MSRP - Units Sold = Earnings Estimate

HZD: $49.99 - 3.3M = $49.4-82.4M
GOW: $49.99 - 2.5M = $37.4-62.4M
DG: $49.99 - 1.7M = $25.4-42.4M
SM:R: $59.99 - 1.3M = $23.3-$38.9
UC: $49.99 - 483K = $7.2M-12M
MM: $49.99- 450K = $6.7M-$11.2M
SB: $59.99 - 62K = $1.1-1.8M

We also know the port of R&C cost $2.6M.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
It’s hilarious to me people don’t get that a pc gamer won’t buy a ps5 to play exclusive games.

It’s because the idea of playing any game on inferior hardware, or closed hardware, or hardware that can’t play WOW, or whatever justifications, goes against the decidedly different “culture” pc gamers seem to share.

Discord, modding, hardware enthusiasts, emulation, DOTA2, LOL, massive MMORPGs, survival phenomenons, sim games, and most streamers are just somethings off the top of my head that make up unique parts of pc gaming.

PC Gamers will buy PlayStation games that come out on pc though because the barrier to entry is gone…well as long as they come out on steam.

Also, ps exclusives aren’t that great anyway…the only exception being bloodborne. I’m fine playing less woke games, but I am happy for those that care.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This will kill PlayStation and AAA exclusives with it since there will be no need to attract people to console. Very short term thinking and brand damage. Every Sony game on pc is less exclusive console pulling power.
Just look at Microsoft.

Shame since I like console gaming.
Also, pc users don’t like purchasing full price day 1. They do like Pirating though

Top Bottom