• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yes, it is:

"The war for Eternia culminates in Masters of the Universe: Revelation, an innovative and action-packed animated series that picks up where the iconic characters left off decades ago. After a cataclysmic battle between He-Man and Skeletor, Eternia is fractured and the Guardians of Grayskull are scattered. And after decades of secrets tore them apart, it's up to Teela to reunite the broken band of heroes, and solve the mystery of the missing Sword of Power in a race against time to restore Eternia and prevent the end of the universe."

Edit: I am pasting the link from IGN but it is embedding the video without the text.

None of that says what you said.

Also, the show is a continuation of the original toon. Not a reboot.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Imagine being upset we're getting a Masters of the Universe show w/ Mark Hamill as Skeletor.

Imagine.

Y'all need help.

Trailers should be up front who the main stars are going to be and what they're setting up initially.

Show could still be good of course but it's not confidence inspiring when they have to resort to bait and switch deception to pull in audiences.
Who gives a fuck who the main character will be? Orco could be the MC and I'd watch.
People who would only watch it for He-Man. Might be shallow reasoning on their part, I don't think that makes it OK to pull a bait and switch on them.

This thread's not about what QuantumZebra would watch.

Last edited:
Imagine saying “imagine being upset at a He-Man series with He-Man being a side character”.

Is the show called He-Man? Has it ever been? This is as stupid as people being upset that Luke isn't the MC of Star Wars now.

It's a "Universe" of characters. He wasn't the lead in the movie (not the best example, granted), and he was the star of the show in the original run.

This is the sequel. New blood/characters is good.

Trailers should be up front who the main stars are going to be and what they're setting up initially.

Show could still be good of course but it's not confidence inspiring when they have to resort to bait and switch deception to pull in audiences.

People who would only watch it for He-Man. Might be shallow reasoning on their part, I don't think it's OK to pull a bait and switch on them.

This thread's not about what QuantumZebra would watch.

Lmao... are y'all serious right now?

The premise/synopsis has been known... this isn't news. The whole premise is that the end battle fucked things up beyond recognition and Teela is trying to get the gang back together.

And I never said anyone had to watch it... I said I can't imagine being upset at this. It's the perfect way to continue the series.

I swear some people just want to watch the same shit rehashed over and over. Would y'all rather they just redo the OG series? Keep the same Skeletor vs. He-Man dynamic running endlessly?

The premise/synopsis has been known... this isn't news. The whole premise is that the end battle fucked things up beyond recognition and Teela is trying to get the gang back together.

And I never said anyone had to watch it... I said I can't imagine being upset at this. It's the perfect way to continue the series.

I swear some people just want to watch the same shit rehashed over and over. Would y'all rather they just redo the OG series? Keep the same Skeletor vs. He-Man dynamic running endlessly?

Yes.

I watch it because I want to watch He-Man. It's that simple.

I don't mind other characters getting the spotlight but in the end it has been and always will be He-Man's show.

And if I remember right it's both He-Man and Skeletor that go missing so saying Mark Hamill is in it may mean he's in it for 2 episodes.

If you don't want to have He-Man as the main then be fucking honest and own up to it from the start. There will still be grumbling but the frustration would be less since it would be known.

And here comes the NPC trying to beat the old fans into submission.

How many times have we seen this cycle? Old franchise is subverted. Fans complain. Media attacks fans. NPC drones try to shame them.

It's all so tiresome.

Ulysses 31

Wasn't know to me, I just saw the trailer yesterday and I would've thought that He-Man would've been the main star of the show judging by that trailer. Kevin Smith said that He-Man was going to be the main star in the past.

So why couldn't they make more clear that He-Man's role would be more that of a side character in the trailer? The show's called He-Man after all.

You keep using the word "upset" as if people are too emotional about it and can't think straight anymore, I don't see how that's the case here. People generally don't like bait and switches.

If Teela's the main hero now then make that clear in the promotional material.

Last edited:
And here comes the NPC trying to beat the old fans into submission.

How many times have we seen this cycle? Old franchise is subverted. Fans complain. Media attacks fans. NPC drones try to shame them.

It's all so tiresome.

Here comes the cynical baby calling people an NPC because they are excited to see a franchise return.

Only "old fans" (aka jaded manchildren) would delude themselves into thinking it's going to be the exact same as the original. If you want that ... *watch the fucking original series again*.

Sequels happen to progress stories... you can't repeat the exact stories for eternity. No one would care except the "old fans" who would not be anywhere near enough audience to keep it on the air.

Fucking delusional.

Wasn't know to me, I just saw the trailer yesterday and I would've thought that He-Man would've been the main star of the show judging by that trailer. Kevin Smith said that He-Man was going to be the main star in the past.

So why couldn't they make more clear that He-Man's role would be more that of a side character in the trailer? The show's called He-Man after all.

You keep using the word "upset" as if people are too emotional about it and can't think straight anymore, I don't see how that's the case here. People generally don't like bait and switches.

If Teela's the main hero now then make that clear in the promotional material.

The show was called "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" - but seeing some "old fans" posts here... I'm guessing they forgot that.

This new show doesn't even have He-Man in the title.

And if I (as a casual, not hardcore) fan of the old show knew the premise of this... then it's not the creators fault y'all didn't keep up w/ it.

Ulysses 31

The show was called "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" - but seeing some "old fans" posts here... I'm guessing they forgot that.

This new show doesn't even have He-Man in the title.

And if I (as a casual, not hardcore) fan of the old show knew the premise of this... then it's not the creators fault y'all didn't keep up w/ it.
You're right about the title but you still hand wave what Kevin Smith said about this show before or what the trailer seems to push.

To me the trailer is not clear at all that Teela will be the driving force in this new show.
Another one bites the dust. What's the point of Teela and the party of lesbos when She-Ra already exists?
She-Ra(80's version) is royalty which means privilege which means negative SJW point. :lollipop_grinning:

CGiRanger

Banned
It's called keeping the audience on their toes by subverting expectations

Nerds will groan about anything I swear
So basically the same shite storytelling we've had to ingest from Modern Hollywood. Nothing new or creative about anything.

Last edited:

MisterHero

It is indeed really shitty that they're not preparing fans for He-Man's replacement.

However, this is an opportunity for Teela to outperform She-Ra as far as empowering storytelling goes. Also in animation quality, voice acting, all areas.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It is indeed really shitty that they're not preparing fans for He-Man's replacement.

The guy in charge of content on Netflix is one of the biggest He-Man fans on the planet (which is why they're doing this series, the new series, AND the live-action movie). So they're not replacing He-Man.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well, the trailer is utterly fantastic. If the story is true it could be shite or could be awesome. If the team is separated it makes sense for teela to be the one find he-man and being him back. The others will be too busy to look for him. It will be a story of finding the saviour.

If they make it a story about teela becoming he-man (they already have she-ra) it will be awful but it doesn't seem to want to do that. That being said... It says the sword of power, not he-man.

Sygma

No trailers are here to hype you up and get you to consume, not sell you the actual product. Imagine if Iron Man 3 had a truthful one ;)

kunonabi

However, this is an opportunity for Teela to outperform She-Ra as far as empowering storytelling goes. Also in animation quality, voice acting, all areas.
Any show that exists basically surpasses modern She-ra in all those areas.

MisterHero

Any show that exists basically surpasses modern She-ra in all those areas.
She-Ra is extremely diverse which is felt in all the narrative and artistic aspects. The only thing holding it back was that it was written for kids even younger than MotU's original audience. I was thinking upon finishing She-Ra that it's nice America has its own Sailor Moon-type show.

I'm not trying to put them against each other, but if a *He-Man* show can outdo the recent She-Ra, that would be very interesting to see.

Shouta

Well, the trailer is utterly fantastic. If the story is true it could be shite or could be awesome. If the team is separated it makes sense for teela to be the one find he-man and being him back. The others will be too busy to look for him. It will be a story of finding the saviour.

If they make it a story about teela becoming he-man (they already have she-ra) it will be awful but it doesn't seem to want to do that. That being said... It says the sword of power, not he-man.

I'm thinking that the show will have Teela take Adam with her after finding out his secret and the show will be a chance to explore Adam himself as a character before restoring him to his full power. It would be pretty interesting to do that especially with everything that occurred in the original series.

sol_bad

Imagine being upset we're getting a Masters of the Universe show w/ Mark Hamill as Skeletor.

Imagine.

Y'all need help.

Who gives a fuck who the main character will be? Orco could be the MC and I'd watch.

It's not like He-Man was some incredible character in the original show either. The show was just made to sell toys. This new show will most likely have more substance with it's story and characterisation.

sol_bad

You're right about the title but you still hand wave what Kevin Smith said about this show before or what the trailer seems to push.

To me the trailer is not clear at all that Teela will be the driving force in this new show.

As shit as the movie was, we're people happy that the John Conner twist was shown in the Genesis trailer? No. So weird saying that "everything" should be shown in trailers so we know what we are getting.
Jesus, just sit down and watch the first 22-45 minute episode and decide yourself if you liked it. You mock people for "consooming" media but you sit there "consooming" YouTube content that tells you how you should feel.

Who's the real "consoomer"?
The people that watch something and decide themselves if they liked it or the people who watch YouTube channels that tell them to hate something so they go into a movie/show with a pre-determined hateful mindset?

So basically the same shite storytelling we've had to ingest from Modern Hollywood. Nothing new or creative about anything.

You want new and creative but want the same 80s He-Man cartoon again?

Last edited:

kunonabi

I'm thinking that the show will have Teela take Adam with her after finding out his secret and the show will be a chance to explore Adam himself as a character before restoring him to his full power. It would be pretty interesting to do that especially with everything that occurred in the original series.
Considering he's missing from the big group shot that's probably unlikely but we'll see.

Shouta

Considering he's missing from the big group shot that's probably unlikely but we'll see.

Yeah, I did notice that. I'm hoping it's just because of the shots and segments they grabbed but there's a considerable chance he'll just be missing along with the Sword of Power.

The male characters look pretty great. The animation quality looks to be pretty good.
The female characters have lost some sex appeal since the 80's though. Teelas face looks a little masculine and her and that bird lady are now more covered up. That sucks.

Ulysses 31

As shit as the movie was, we're people happy that the John Conner twist was shown in the Genesis trailer? No. So weird saying that "everything" should be shown in trailers so we know what we are getting.
Jesus, just sit down and watch the first 22-45 minute episode and decide yourself if you liked it. You mock people for "consooming" media but you sit there "consooming" YouTube content that tells you how you should feel.
Where do you get I want trailers to spoil all surprises? It shouldn't be a surprise who the main heroes will be. Do you understand what a bait and switch is and why it's generally disliked?

This trailer isn't being up front enough that Teela will be the main focus of the show IMO.
Who's the real "consoomer"?
The people that watch something and decide themselves if they liked it or the people who watch YouTube channels that tell them to hate something so they go into a movie/show with a pre-determined hateful mindset?
Who's saying to hate the show? Main criticism has been that He-Man won't be the focus despite what the trailer shows and that it may be woke.
You want new and creative but want the same 80s He-Man cartoon again?
How do you conclude that I want a retread of the 80s show from me wanting the makers to be more clear that this new show will be more focused on Teela than He-Man?

The guy in charge of content on Netflix is one of the biggest He-Man fans on the planet (which is why they're doing this series, the new series, AND the live-action movie). So they're not replacing He-Man.
Ah, just like Kevin Smith said he was a big He-Man fan only to later confess that he wasn’t a fan of the original. Stop inhaling corporate bullshit PR.

Dacon

Banned

Imagine.

Y'all need help.

"You need help for not feeling the same way I do about cartoons and not just consuming"

Dude fuck off. People obviously want a He-Man show where he man is the focus, and there's nothing fucking wrong with that.

People need to stop attacking other people over fucking media. Shit's ridiculous.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I was expecting this show to be really adjusted for todays standards so this isn't that shocking. Unless it is like some kickstarted thing expect your beloved franchised to be completely twisted into something that is a shell of it's former self.

Ulysses 31

Yes because synopsis generally spoil entire seasons of shows in one sentence.
They should set up the premise yes, which can change over the course of the story sure, but IMO the trailer and synopsis don't really jive with each other.

A fix would be if the trailer was a little longer with footage of Teela setting out on her quest.

Last edited:

sol_bad

What does he know? He just made the show. YouTubers know more than the person making the series.

Another thing, people in here quoting the Wikipedia page.

"A sequel to the 1983–1985 Filmation series He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Masters of the Universe: Revelation is set after the final battle between He-Man and Skeletor and tells the tale of Teela, a former captain of the guard of Castle Grayskull who, after the destruction of Eternia, seeks out the missing Sword of Power to prevent the end of the universe.[1][2]"

If you click on the little 1 and 2 for the reference for this information you go here.

And the quote you get.
“I’m Eternia-ly grateful to Mattel TV and Netflix for entrusting me with not only the secrets of Grayskull, but also their entire Universe,” Smith said. “In ‘Revelation,’ we pick up right where the classic era left off to tell an epic tale of what may be the final battle between He-Man and Skeletor! Brought to life with the most metal character designs Powerhouse Animation can contain in the frame, this is the Masters of the Universe story you always wanted to see as a kid!”

Top Bottom