• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm going to watch and cross my fingers it turns out OK but I need to ask, what is the point of rebooting these properties if you are changing so many elements of them that you push away the already installed fanbase? It's not like these reboots and such are really bringing in new fans, so why try to offend and push away the already present fanbase?

They hate the fans and themselves.

sol_bad

The funny thing is, the strong male and female characters were the reason for many LGBT folks "sexual awakenings" to take from another thread. Just goes to show how little these people care and how much they just want to claim they do. "We are totally allies, guys!"

Dude, I legit can't tell if you have really low standards or just defend anything that has an inkling of poorly written social slacktivist written on it.

Definitely low standards of course.

I guess, I mean really all we wanted was a dark adult take on He Man ala Heavy Metal or Wizards. Make that and profit. Hell take a look at Primal on Adult Swim, He Man in that style would be money in the bank

I have never heard of Primal, looks great. And of course there is no where to watch it in Oz.
*sigh*

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I guess, I mean really all we wanted was a dark adult take on He Man ala Heavy Metal or Wizards. Make that and profit. Hell take a look at Primal on Adult Swim, He Man in that style would be money in the bank
Very true. I think what folks remember about Motu (and GI Joe, transformers, etc) are the characters, backstory, and some of the morality elements. They forget all the juvenile jokes, cringe dialogue, and cheap animation.

So a "more adult" take is really just stripping out the low brow humor and replacing it with more sexual humor, making violence have consequences, and adding in philosophy. The same characters can "grow up" without becoming totally different and without shoehorning in trendy elements that don't feel organic to the world.

I mean, you could do an awesome take on Motu that the 80's version represents American supremacy, that He-Man is the US War machine awoken from the otherwise placid and forgiving Prince Adam of the American population, fighting the insidious soviet skeletor.

But now, without He-man's overwhelming domination, how do Eternias heroes find a place when they have parity with skeletor? Maybe skeletor and the snake men are Chinese cultural spread and can't be fought directly anymore.

Anyway, these are thoughts for how to have a He-Man show that can appeal to adult fans of the OG, still be viewable by kids, and not just checklist woke talking points to up the virtual signalling wattage.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Their agendas take precedence.

This.

They have no idea how to make or write original characters that push what they want and be charasimatic enough for a large audience to take actual interest in. Because of this they stoop to find a franchise that is liked/fondly remembered so as to have a story pre-built for them before they remodel it to their own wants and pissing off the original fanbase.

CGiRanger

Banned
This.

They have no idea how to make or write original characters that push what they want and be charasimatic enough for a large audience to take actual interest in. Because of this they stoop to find a franchise that is liked/fondly remembered so as to have a story pre-built for them before they remodel it to their own wants and pissing off the original fanbase.
They know that their ideas are not marketable or compelling on their own. So the best way is to package them up with a nice fake veneer of a former IP that was popular in the past, and then proceed to shit all over it in the interest of "bringing in a new audience" (which usually never works, or if it does, it's only a one-time thing that quickly fades). Of course that's just code for them using something popular to shove their not-at-all-subtle modern political dogma to the masses.

There's a total lack of care and craft in filmmaking and TV these days. You can just see it in every aspect from the writing, acting and even the camera-work. I swear I don't know what the modern directors/cinematographers are smoking, but most of them just don't know how to frame and set up compelling shots. Everything these days looks even more fake than when they were using cheezy real-prop models.

Last edited:
Not really that assed if He-Man gets side lined myself providing they don't kill him because that would be a waste. He can always return later.

Killing the little wizard dude is whack if true though.

This.

Evil cannot create, only corrupt. 🧠
"The Shadow that bred them can only mock, it cannot make: not real new things of its own."

Dev1lXYZ

Reviews of the show not looking too great. My expectations weren’t all that much to begin with. He-Man has had far more failures throughout the years than successes. How many failed series are we at now, 3-4? These shows are written in group sessions, which takes a singular vision and then puts it through a series of checklists. Nobody wants a distilled anything. That’s why I can’t ever work for a studio and focus groups. Oh, but Mattel wants all inclusive things for marketing. Because it sells toys. I would argue that inclusiveness doesn’t sell anything, it in fact sells nothing. That’s why things are left ambiguous. It’s worked since oral tradition, why stop now?

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Reviews of the show not looking too great. My expectations weren’t all that much to begin with. He-Man has had far more failures throughout the years than successes. How many failed series are we at now, 3-4? These shows are written in group sessions, which takes a singular vision and then puts it through a series of checklists. Nobody wants a distilled anything. That’s why I can’t ever work for a studio and focus groups. Oh, but Mattel wants all inclusive things for marketing. Because it sells toys. I would argue that inclusiveness doesn’t sell anything, it in fact sells nothing. That’s why things are left ambiguous. It’s worked since oral tradition, why stop now?

Prior to this only two, the New Adventures of He Man and the 2002 series. The 2002 series though was actually pretty good.

sol_bad

What negative reviews? I can't find any.

sol_bad

😂 their is one posted in this thread.

Do you mean the Grace review? Is it considered a negative review? I won't watch it because she tends to spoil things without meaning to.
I posted 3 positive reviews in this thread, I could link at least another 6 Youtube reviews and 5 written reviews that are positive.

What other reviews are negative?

*EDIT*
All positive except grace.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Do you mean the Grace review? Is it considered a negative review? I won't watch it because she tends to spoil things without meaning to.
I posted 3 positive reviews in this thread, I could link at least another 6 Youtube reviews and 5 written reviews that are positive.

*EDIT*

from what we heard, we can expect more negative reviews to pop up.

those silly early reviewers and their subvert expectations fetish 🤷‍♀️

*EDIT*
You’re expecting liberal left-wing media to post a negative review of a show where they replaced a white male with a lesbian female? Never gonna happen.

sol_bad

You’re expecting liberal left-wing media to post a negative review of a show where they replaced a white male with a lesbian female? Never gonna happen.

Mate, Dev1lXYZ Dev1lXYZ mentioned negative "reviews", the plural form. I asked where these negative reviews were, right now. I can't find them. Please follow along.

Gonna start this after work. Y'all better not drop spoilers even if its got you screaming at Kevin Smith weeping he's not being hired to work on a Disney+ show.

Methos#1975

Watched the first 2 episodes so far, it's OK but it really doesn't feel like a continuation of the orginal show at all because that show would of never gone the route this one has so far.

Ulysses 31

Watched the first 2 episodes so far, it's OK but it really doesn't feel like a continuation of the orginal show at all because that show would of never gone the route this one has so far.
It's not an official continuation because legally they can't do that, it's a spiritual successor.

According to this review it seems that Teela's gonna be angry the whole time. 👀 👀

Last edited:

JumpMan1981

Banned
Who is this show supposed to be for?

I watched He-Man as a kid but the idea of my parents sitting down at the time and enjoying it is just ridiculous,
Same as watching clips of old shows now is fun for nostalgia but there's not a chance I am going to sit down and watch full episodes of Transformers or GI Joe and all those.

It seems to not really be for kids but also seems like I'm asking what adults would actually be into this?

Who is thinking that because they watched something called He-Man as a child that they want to spend time sitting down to watch this? It just feels like slapping a brand on something and hoping it brings in some money.

Watching it this morning and the best compliment I can pay it is I like the animation by Powerhouse, I’d love them to have a go at G1 Transformers someday. At its core something is off with it and those already criticising Kevin Smith will likely continue.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Who is this show supposed to be for?

I watched He-Man as a kid but the idea of my parents sitting down at the time and enjoying it is just ridiculous,
Same as watching clips of old shows now is fun for nostalgia but there's not a chance I am going to sit down and watch full episodes of Transformers or GI Joe and all those.

It seems to not really be for kids but also seems like I'm asking what adults would actually be into this?

Who is thinking that because they watched something called He-Man as a child that they want to spend time sitting down to watch this? It just feels like slapping a brand on something and hoping it brings in some money.
A lot of people seem to be very into reliving the things they grew up on and want them to be retooled "for adults."

Methos#1975

It's not an official continuation because legally they can't do that, it's a spiritual successor.

According to this review it seems that Teela's gonna be angry the whole time. 👀 👀

This really is the angry Teela show, but that ending is pretty good and leaves you wanting to know what's next. Honestly it's not bad, it's just really not what fans probably wanted but it is what it is. Also going to say I didn't find it to be that woke. Granted we know where it's headed pretty much with Teela becoming the new Champion but I don't think that is woke in and of itself.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

This really is the angry Teela show, but that ending is pretty good and leaves you wanting to know what's next. Honestly it's not bad, it's just really not what fans probably wanted but it is what it is. Also going to say I didn't find it to be that woke. Granted we know where it's headed pretty much with Teela becoming the new Champion but I don't think that is woke in and of itself.
The main cast are strong females while the majority of strong male heroes are either dead or absent in a series which was about strong human males.

Exactly what does it need to do to be woke for you?

Methos#1975

The main cast are strong females while the majority of strong male heroes are either dead or absent in a series which was about strong human males.

Exactly what does it need to do to be woke for you?
Have you watched it? That isn't really the case. Man at Arms is still a strong presence, Orko is male and comes full circle, Roboto is piviotal, etc. Really Teela was already strong character wise in the orginal as was Evil Lynn, speaking of she is by far my favorite character here, while the new character is frankly pretty useless to the narrative and is just there. Beastman does more in the show than she does.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Just watched the first episode and it’s not bad. However my wife rolled her eyes pretty hard when she realised it’s going to be a Teela show; she even said: ‘they already have a She-Ra show if they want a strong female lead.’ Anyway I’m trying to keep an open mind.

Nickolaidas

Have you watched it? That isn't really the case. Man at Arms is still a strong presence, Orko is male and comes full circle, Roboto is piviotal, etc. Really Teela was already strong character wise in the orginal as was Evil Lynn, speaking of she is by far my favorite character here, while the new character is frankly pretty useless to the narrative and is just there. Beastman does more in the show than she does.
Orko is not presented as a strong male. He was the clown of the show. The awkward, incompetent nerd with a heart of gold. Hardly a power fantasy for guys.

Roboto is a robot.

Beast Man is furry fanservice.

Two out of those three (plus the old protag), bite the dust while the girls keep on being awesome.

My point stands. The majority of important characters in the new show are females of questionable sexuality, in a show which was mainly about male power fantasy.

This is woke 101.

Mister Wolf

Orko is not presented as a strong male. He was the clown of the show. The awkward, incompetent nerd with a heart of gold. Hardly a power fantasy for guys.

Roboto is a robot.

Beast Man is furry fanservice.

Two out of those three (plus the old protag), bite the dust while the girls keep on being awesome.

My point stands. The majority of important characters in the new show are females of questionable sexuality, in a show which was mainly about male power fantasy.

This is woke 101.

Teela was Adam's childhood friend/romantic interest in all other iterations. Now she is a butch lesbian. That about says it all.

Teela was Adam's childhood friend/romantic interest in all other iterations. Now she is a butch lesbian. That about says it all.
He-man is royalty though... wouldn't She-ra be another potential partner?
Game Of Thrones Jamie Lannister GIF

Last edited:

JimmyF

This was hot garbage, animation looks good however, action choreography is pretty bad. Don't expect Castlevania type of action.
He-man is barely in it, doesn't really do anything, none of the characters are interesting or grow much at all during the show.
Focus is on Teela only for the most part, should have called this show, Masters of the Universe: Teela's "oh boohoo, he lied to me T_T"

I've never watched the original show, I did watch the 2002 show and I think that one is way superior to this crap.

Azurro

Banned
Damage control?
I'm just excited for the show brah.

You are excited for anything woke brah. :)

On topic: this is a typical woke production. They want to "correct" the fact that He Man was the main character on the show and want to put a lesbian woman in it, however they know the people that like He Man don't want to watch that, so they lie to them.

If it fails, oh well, the IP is worthless or the fans are -ists, so it's ok and on to destroying the next IP. At least Kevin Smith will get to have his woke credentials so he can hang out with his Hollywood friends.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I wouldn’t mind checking this out. I have no knowledge of anything related to this show other than I know the names heman and skeletor.
will it be ok to watch as my first dive?

Top Bottom