• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sigh, poor KS. Between his man hating wife and dropping his teen daughter off at Hollywood parties to be groped and ogled by old men he really drank the kool aid of woke. I can think of about 10 plot lines that keep Adam/he-man at the center but still drive new stories to explore and develop the character.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, said "so what's Teela doing all this time???" unless the mandate was specifically to have a female led story in the MOTU.

I wonder if Netflix is gonna push a toy line with this. Are there new She-ra and new voltron toys? Maybe the need to sell toys would focus the writers on a revolving door of heroes/villains of the week and less on the internal tears of a girl who is mad she wasn't let in on the biggest state secret of Eternia :p

sol_bad

Sigh, poor KS. Between his man hating wife and dropping his teen daughter off at Hollywood parties to be groped and ogled by old men he really drank the kool aid of woke. I can think of about 10 plot lines that keep Adam/he-man at the center but still drive new stories to explore and develop the character.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, said "so what's Teela doing all this time???" unless the mandate was specifically to have a female led story in the MOTU.

I wonder if Netflix is gonna push a toy line with this. Are there new She-ra and new voltron toys? Maybe the need to sell toys would focus the writers on a revolving door of heroes/villains of the week and less on the internal tears of a girl who is mad she wasn't let in on the biggest state secret of Eternia :p

They have some nice 7 inch figures.

Lupingosei

Banned

idk i don't like them. The colors are too bright.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
If the show is good I'll think about getting them. If the show is average or shite I won't. Mattel seem to be upping their toy quality. Their Jurassic Park Amber Collection are decent too.
Bruh the Jurassic Park toy line got worse with every movie after The Lost World but only now are they starting to fix that.

I think some of them MOTU figures look decent. I'd like to see more of the cast though.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Huh, are they priced for kids or collectors?

I had damned near everything he-man for the first year or so. Those things were like a pound of plastic each and nigh indestructible compared to the star wars figures.

I would be down for a Castle Greyskull lego set with a bunch of minifigs and the better vehicles, maybe use the larger mold for the men like they did with Hulk or Maui ...fuck now thats ALL i want :p

sol_bad

Bruh the Jurassic Park toy line got worse with every movie after The Lost World but only now are they starting to fix that.

I think some of them MOTU figures look decent. I'd like to see more of the cast though.

I think the Amber Collection only started this year. I can't compare to their older toys though. But that's what I mean by Mattel seem to be improving their toys, they've never really been in the news or rader for older toy collectors, now they are.

kunonabi

Mattel is going big with a revelations line as well as two vintage lines . She-Ra had a couple of super half-assed peg warmers at the end since it was painfully unpopular outside of twitter/tumbler.

Corpsepyre

Banned
E6rhBBaXIAEUw6c.jpeg

So poster puts He-Man literally in the front and center, making it seem that he'll be the main character. Let's see if this will be accurate or total false advertising.
Woke can't undo meanings in the world. Even by denying the nature of the world they only affirm it.

Shadows are black and light is white, chocolate is brown and toilet paper is white, grass is green and the sky is blue. If you genetically modify yourself to have cetacean skin, you will look like a dolphin or whale skin wise.

Even though they seek to undo the difference between sexes, between genders, and the boundaries of relations, they can only affirm these boundaries in their attempt to escape from them.

IT is what I noticed with the Shera series, they attempted to avoid hurting feelings and be woke, but they couldn't help but be stereotypical as all woke shows are, reflecting the truth.

Even a liar can only reveal the truth, by lying to yourself or others you can only reveal your own truth, which isn't yours but everybody's as there is only one truth, one objective reality, because the truth is embodied even within the body of lies.

edit:

Even if they purposely try to sideline he-man his importance within will remain and be affirmed even by a denial.

Last edited:

kunonabi

It's a flashback, and a shitty one at that. Skeletor is written like he belongs in a robot chicken spoof.
Hamil just isn't the right fit, same with the guy doing He-Man. Their attempt at emulating the old He-Man style is off as they really just don't get it. If they can't even get this right I don't see their new vision being much better.

Nickolaidas

How do you know it's a flashback?
And why are people acting like He-Man was some majestical and artistic masterpiece?

Everything about the original show is terrible!

Because the show literally begins with a climactic battle which depowers He-Man by dividing the power sword and permanently turning him into Adam.

For the second part of your post, *read*. I'm not saying that 80s Skeletor is Shakespeare material, but that flashback Skeletor is written out of character. Skeletor would never casually ask an underling what color should he paint a fucking ship. This isn't Yugioh Abridged.

I was a fan of the show as a kid in the 80s, I’m not feeling this from what I’ve seen and heard,.

It started when Smith was doing that emotional whilst glued to a obese arse expression when he revealed this shows theme, which is nothing resembling the original at all yet it’s expected of you to be all feels and shit.

CGiRanger

Banned
Teela takes off her crown and with her hair down she looks too attractive! So of course they had to give her an ugly-ass millennial haircut to make sure she's not too good looking.

And yeah, that review basically stated outright "This is Teela's story". So basically, as I expected this key art, is 100% misleading:
E6rhBBaXIAEUw6c.jpeg

Because gee, who's character/silhouette stands out the most even when the poster is shrunk.....totally Teela's right? :p

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I was a fan of the show as a kid in the 80s, I’m not feeling this from what I’ve seen and heard,.

It started when Smith was doing that emotional whilst glued to a obese arse expression when he revealed this shows theme, which is nothing resembling the original at all yet it’s expected of you to be all feels and shit.
You're probably right. There's publications like Gizmodo putting out basically a marketing piece from Netflix where it's implied that the original series had flaws that are being fixed in the new series(Teela 'just' being a friend to Adam where as now she's his equal, the old show was just for the boys and the women were afterthought characters, the new one is for everyone, etc)

Lots of these progressive types behind new shows like to rewrite history as if old shows weren't progressive in their time and only NOW things are getting fixed in new iterations. Attacking fans of the older shows who're not down with the new changes is also common.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I was way into this crap when I was a wee lad, but I'm not sure why would be translated to me being interested on it as an adult.

I'll take a pass.

You're probably right. There's publications like Gizmodo putting out basically a marketing piece from Netflix where it's implied that the original series had flaws that are being fixed in the new series(Teela 'just' being a friend to Adam where as now she's his equal, the old show was just for the boys and the women were afterthought characters, the new one is for everyone, etc)

Lots of these progressive types behind new shows like to rewrite history as if old shows weren't progressive in their time and only NOW things are getting fixed in new iterations. Attacking fans of the older shows who're not down with the new changes is also common.

Yeah I see what your saying. Personally I stay away from progressive, diversity topics if I can because I haven’t looked into it enough and I’d rather not get involved in things I know little about and secondly all I care about is good quality stuff, like characters, story, music, atmosphere in a series or film.

When it comes to this series, from what I’ve seen and read, it doesn’t excite me. such as the voice actor for He-Man from what I’ve heard could be a regular joe shouting and Mark Hamill more or less sounds like his Joker for Skeletor.

The theme for this show, it sounds like you could fit it into many other shows and it wouldn’t matter. It’s bland and I don’t quite get how many fans can be overjoyed and emotional with it when it has no recognition of a Series opening that’s a continuation of what they were originally fans of.

Look at the 80s stuff, He-Man, Transformers, Ulysses 31, Thundercats etc their themes all had a hook, that made them instantly recognisable. I’m not saying directly copy something but at least use it as a base then work on it for this take on the series.

It feels like with a lot of this nostalgia stuff, people preach what big fans they are of it yet when their product is out it has no feeling of that at all, a bit soulless if you know what I mean.

CGiRanger

Banned
What sucks is the 2002 adaptation was already a great re-imagination to the original series that did make it more "grown up" already.

Of course Kevin Smith and his cohorts cannot acknowledge that one because it'd render his efforts moot. It sucks because it's clear that will be the far better show than this one. Already I can tell the VA's are miscast and don't even meet the standard from the 2002 show.

CGiRanger

Banned
Ya know, if they wanted to make a Teela-focused show, then fine, own up to it. I just hate when they pull these bait-and-switch tactics. Kevin Smith going on different shows and saying how it won't be that, downplaying when it was even brought up. And then stuff like the above posters which show focus on He-Man.

Is it so hard to be honest? I guess they must not have much faith in their wares if they have to be so disingenuous that they don't feel it can stand on its own two legs and be compelling enough to bring in an audience.

I was a moderate fan of He-man as a kid. Maybe because I was poor and never had any of the action figures unlike the cool kids at school.
I never intended to watch this new series. I'm just following the news because it's such a shit show. It's the same fucking thing every time. Take some existing franchise, twist it according to your agenda. Lie about it. Gaslight the original fans. Call them ists and phobes.

Can we get a show focusing on Orko, but mainly his work with those PSAs in the 80s.
Rumor is this series might even kill Orko, that's a travesty if they do that.
Yeah it looks kinda dumb and I'm not into nostalgia-bait, but I don't have much else to watch at the moment so I'll probably give the first episode a chance once I have a decent buzz on tonight.
I just want to see first how many stereotypes the woke get into, you can see their inner racism and sexism on display on the stereotypes they still keep, second how many token power fantasy doesn't matter if you're in a wheel chair you can fly like an eagle moments there are.(aka, things like say lone small girl without superpowers beating an army of muscular men some even with superpowers. girl is smartest person in room and men are all bumbling buffoons etc)

Last edited:
Grace gets early screenings for reviews and yeah...

On Friday trust me what everyone will be talking about is Masters of the Universe as part one drops. I hope Kevin Smith is ready to batten down the hatches. He should never have commented on those rumors. He's going to have a very interesting week. That embargo in fact lifts on Wednesday and I will be making a spoiler review on Friday.

Kevin Smith lied and her review pretty much confirms the rumors:

Major queerbaiting and no strong male characters, for a He-Man show :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom