• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

You are excited for anything woke brah. :)

On topic: this is a typical woke production. They want to "correct" the fact that He Man was the main character on the show and want to put a lesbian woman in it, however they know the people that like He Man don't want to watch that, so they lie to them.

If it fails, oh well, the IP is worthless or the fans are -ists, so it's ok and on to destroying the next IP. At least Kevin Smith will get to have his woke credentials so he can hang out with his Hollywood friends.
I'll watch it, shera was a masterpiece as I said earlier, even if it's bad it could be so bad it's good.

Nickolaidas

Seen two episodes so far.

Barely refraining from throwing up. Teela is flat out insufferable. The whole 'YOU LIED TO ME!!' plot point is stupid as fuck, Randor banishing Man-at-Arms made me want to poke my eyes out (yet nothing wrong with his wife never telling him, because OF COURSE Marlene always knew)

Woke bullshit. Fucking piece of shit.

kunonabi

Seen two episodes so far.

Barely refraining from throwing up. Teela is flat out insufferable. The whole 'YOU LIED TO ME!!' plot point is stupid as fuck, Randor banishing Man-at-Arms made me want to poke my eyes out (yet nothing wrong with his wife never telling him, because OF COURSE Marlene always knew)

Woke bullshit. Fucking piece of shit.

Well Marlena did know back in the original series so nothing wrong there.

Last edited:

evolvaer

Banned
So kevin smith lied and this is woke trash, are we all in agreement this is the general consensus?

I don't want to see even any males in any roles. Males are a social construct.

kunonabi

So kevin smith lied and this is woke trash, are we all in agreement this is the general consensus?

I don't want to see even any males in any roles. Males are a social construct.
the level of wokeness seems to be a bit up for debate but yeah he's a lying bitch.

CGiRanger

Banned
On topic: this is a typical woke production. They want to "correct" the fact that He Man was the main character on the show and want to put a lesbian woman in it, however they know the people that like He Man don't want to watch that, so they lie to them.

If it fails, oh well, the IP is worthless or the fans are -ists, so it's ok and on to destroying the next IP. At least Kevin Smith will get to have his woke credentials so he can hang out with his Hollywood friends.
What's even more galling is that Teela was never at all lesbian until now. And apparently though this show wants to "have their cake" where they "gaybait" with her, but don't actually do anything. So in many ways it's again empty woke equity bullshit.

I mean, just make a freaking bullet point for this so far:
  • He-Man is sidelined (or pretty much removed)
  • Teela is turned into "I'M ANGRY" lead woman character
  • All other male characters sidelined and removed from spotlight
  • Race-swapping for no reason
  • LGBT addition for no reason (Teela is suddenly gay?)
  • Prince Adam is turned into a weakling loser who can't do anything
And this is just Part 1...

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Well Marlena did know back in the original series so nothing wrong there.
So only five share this secret?

Either way, Randor being pissed at Man-at-Arms and not at Marlene is hypocritical and bad writing.

And lmao at Man-at-Arms playing hard to get at Teela when she's asking for his help, saying that he wants to stay with Orko, but refusing to help Teela basically condemns Orko to death.

I swear, it's like no one proofread this shit to see if it makes sense. I'm so fucking mad.

JimmyF

I don't see much of the supposed wokeness myself, show is still garbage but wouldn't call it necessarily woke.

I mean Teela and co
get saved 3 times by men, once by He-man/Adam, by her father on the boat and later by Orko.

Teela supposedly being lesbian, I honestly don't see it. There is a line in the show were she says "wherever you go, I go" against her black companion. However when she
reunites with Adam, Adam says the exact same line to her and she instantly smiles, so who really knows

Last edited:

kunonabi

So only five share this secret?

Either way, Randor being pissed at Man-at-Arms and not at Marlene is hypocritical and bad writing.

And lmao at Man-at-Arms playing hard to get at Teela when she's asking for his help, saying that he wants to stay with Orko, but refusing to help Teela basically condemns Orko to death.

I swear, it's like no one proofread this shit to see if it makes sense. I'm so fucking mad.
Smith and Co. botching it isn't a surprise. Like they were so many things from the original show they could have built on and explored but they're just like nah.

Just started the first episode... Dropping spoilers and crying about "woke" shit.

But no one is saying how fucking trash Sarah Michelle Gellar sounds, REALLY? She does NOT suit that character at all.

kunonabi

Just started the first episode... Dropping spoilers and crying about "woke" shit.

But no one is saying how fucking trash Sarah Michelle Gellar sounds, REALLY? She does NOT suit that character at all.
Well that was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Has she even done significant voice work before? Her and the writers also made it clear that weren't going to portray her anything like the actual character anyway.

Nickolaidas

Most of the characters are horribly miscast.

Chris Wood's voice is too deep for Adam and too soft for He-Man.

Gellar sounds like a stuck-up bitch, which isn't Teela.

Mark Hamil as Skeletor sounds like the Joker after smoking twenty packs of cigarettes. Horrible choice.

Lena Headey as Evil Lynn is fine. Not like the original, but accurately portrays a strong, confident bitch with intellect and sophistication - she just lacks the malice in her voice.

Griffin Newman is ok as Orko. More than ok, I think. Maybe the best choice in the series and the only character who does a good job at sounding like the original.

Justin Long as Roboto is solid, classic robot voice which radiates calmness, even under pressure.

Richardson as Beast-Man is forgettable.

Henry Rollins as Triclops is ... I don't know. I'm not feeling it.

Kevin Conroy is not Mer-Man, oh my fucking God, the worst choice ever.

CGiRanger

Banned
I would rather they just put both seasons of this on Netflix and make a third season.
Is it even streaming anywhere? Cam Clark is the best Prince Adam. I don't give a fuck what nostalgia babies say.
Man I really hope that isn't a point of contention. Cam Clarke is sooo much better as Prince Adam and has the perfect voice for him. He's not that bad as He-Man too.

And yeah, it's a crime that the 2002 show will never get its deserved third season (might have seen a badass beautiful She-Ra). Even if it were to be made now, I'd be worried at how it'd be ruined by the modern "creatives" like Kevin Smith who'd come in and twist it to fit their dogma

Last edited:

kunonabi

Problem with Cam Clarke is he always sounds like Cam Clarke. It's why I can only buy him as Leo and Max Sterling. He just takes me out of everything else.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Watched the half a season of Masters of the Universe: Revelations.

It's a sort of continuation of the old 80s cartoon/comic.

I can see the complaint of it sort of lacking He-Man, but I'm sure he will be around more in the 2nd half... probably.

What we did get was still pretty awesome and full of nostalgia. And its grown up, IE actually hitting each other etc and since it has an actual story line, not everything has to reset at the end of an episode.

Over all, fun watch. Especially if you love the old 80s cartoon (and dont mind that He-Man isnt exactly the center of attention).

Oh yeah, liked that Evil-Lyn got some good characterization. Did not like that Mer-Man had a normal voice instead of the bubbly one he had in the 80s.

Forsythia

Why do they always need to ruin established properties. Rebooting these 80's cartoons is only done for nostalgia, but they pander to a new crowd who probably doesn't care about the IP anyways. So what's the point?

Atrus

Gold Member
I just started watching and liked the opening of the first episode.

There is a mismatch between the grittier artwork of the characters and the overall sound and music. The voice acting is subpar and the combat sounds (like the punches) are weak.

The dialogue is typical of a Saturday morning cartoon, which is fine I guess, but it is disconnected from the more serious plot line they’re introducing. It is supposed to be a continuation of the 80’s story but Skeletor quickly achieves his win condition without much of an issue.

The plot so far seems designed by a man-child who thinks he can outdo the entire original concept by rapidly breaking down core concepts in the original series in the first episode.

The episode then ends with angsty teenage melodrama whereas the original He-Man was very noblebright in tone and the relationships between characters.

Overall, I’m not impressed so far and for what it’s worth, actually liked the newer She-Ra series. We’ll see how this develops.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why do they always need to ruin established properties. Rebooting these 80's cartoons is only done for nostalgia, but they pander to a new crowd who probably doesn't care about the IP anyways. So what's the point?
Netflix at this point probably has an algorithm that lets them calculate how many viewers they will retain for each IP they announce (since they can't really grow much more in our markets). So the 'success' of that "Toys that made us" docuseries told them that there is a lot of 80's nostalgia in the demographic that matters to them....the middle aged adult men who are actually paying for netflix for their family. So a He-man show just has to keep those men hanging on for a few months for the show to 'earn' it's money and then it is off to tease the next "just you keep subscribing and wait!!!" program.

Unless you actually UNSUBSCRIBE then the algorithm is working.

Nickolaidas

it's garbage. The animation is so bad...
Most of the fights give you the impression of slow motion, it's quite bad.

Curious if after ep5 you'll also think this is The Angry Teela show like some have mentioned before. :messenger_winking_tongue:
More than ever. Teela is flat out horribly written and unlikable. I also hated the way the series sucked her off in the beginning of the first episode. It was almost like she was the reason Skeletor hadn't won all this time, instead of He-Man.

I can't believe they killed the once-upon-a-time main character of the IP two fucking times within less than two hours. I honestly do not think this has ever happened before in the history of pop culture.

My Overall score: 3/10

Rotten Tomatoes viewer score: 39% LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stratos88, if you are reading this, I'm literally banging my head on a wall.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

More than ever. Teela is flat out horribly written and unlikable. I also hated the way the series sucked her off in the beginning of the first episode. It was almost like she was the reason Skeletor hadn't won all this time, instead of He-Man.

I can't believe they killed the once-upon-a-time main character of the IP two fucking times within less than two hours. I honestly do not think this has ever happened before in the history of pop culture.

But you'll check out the rest once it's out, right? 👀

kunonabi

39%? Expect a bunch of new faceless accounts to fix that within the week.

CGiRanger

Banned
it's garbage. The animation is so bad...
Man, that's really bad. The one thing that this might have had going for it is Powerhouse Studio, since they did a reasonably good job on Castlevania (I'm not one who thinks they did a GREAT job overall. A lot of scenes within that show were awful art/animation-wise that they somehow got a pass for. But at least they came through for the big fights)

Here's the thing. I'm fine with and have always been fine with female lead characters (again I go back to Ripley, Sarah Connor etc.) if they are both well-written and likable (and acted in such a manner that befits). But the thing these days is, the writers and creators behind the push/drive for lead female characters seem determined to have them as unlikable and badly written as possible (and acted out as such). And they somehow expect that to attract audiences in large numbers?

And also, I guess it's the "in thing" these days for any reboot/reimagining/sequel series to an IP from the 80's/90's that they have to both denigrate and kill off the heroes from then. For some reason I only see that in Western media.

Popular example of anime of the opposite of course would be Naruto and the sequel series Boruto. They didn't kill off Naruto, trash his legacy and forget he existed (though I'm sure some fans would have liked that). He's still a major influence and character and positive force.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

More in-depth spoiler review

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation is here, and it's pretty much exactly what we were told it was a year and a half ago -- The Teela Show. He-Man is BARELY in the show at all. But WORSE than that, it's a show that seems to delight in "subverting expectations" like The Last Jedi before it. Almost all of the male characters are sidelined, weakened or killed off so Teela, Andra and Evil-Lyn can take center stage. And it will most likely split the He-Man fandom right down the middle like The Last Jedi before it. Will Mattel's toy sales suffer for it?

They also go through the perceived "modern" themes in the show and deconstruction of the old show.

Last edited:

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
Man I really hope that isn't a point of contention. Cam Clarke is sooo much better as Prince Adam and has the perfect voice for him. He's not that bad as He-Man too.

And yeah, it's a crime that the 2002 show will never get its deserved third season (might have seen a badass beautiful She-Ra). Even if it were to be made now, I'd be worried at how it'd be ruined by the modern "creatives" like Kevin Smith who'd come in and twist it to fit their dogma

Ehhhh... Kinda sorta agree.

Though I'm always a bit saddened that no one else has ever topped OG He-Man's cry of "I have the power":

With that music, the echo in the voice still is awesome to this day.

But we can all laugh that BattleCat was originally supposed to say "Now I have the power too!".

Atrus

Gold Member
We’ll that was quick, didn’t realize the season only consists of five 25 minute episodes…

The show is terrible in almost all aspects and is built entirely on Rian Johnson’s “Kill the Past” mindset. It’s like someone taking a steaming dump on everything you liked about He-Man.

One thing I didn’t pick up on was why they changed He-Man’s symbol on his chest but that didn’t matter much given neither he or Skeletor have much screen time.

I definitely won’t be watching this series after this. Big thumbs down.

Nickolaidas

I can't believe that Skeletor, my favorite MotU character, finishes the first part by becoming a God, and I have zero fucks to give, and I'm completely uninvested and disinterested in watching more of this series.

That's one hell of an accomplishment.

Last edited:
By the power of Rainbowskull

This is just horrible. There is no reason for MOTU to be political, but somehow they managed to turn even this into a SJW rave.
Well written female main characters are always welcome, but here it feels forced and unnatural. Too bad.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I've read enough reactions and reviews from people I trust to know that this is no good. I am not even going to bother watching it, it would be an utter waste of time. It doesn't even sound "so bad it's good, good".

It will be funny watching Smith, who has always couched himself as "a fan like you, I don't do this for the critics" type of artist have to now side with those critics as the audience scores continue to approach single digits. I think watching what happens with the reactions of the creators, Netflix, and how this may affect the production of the second part will be far more entertaining than the show was.

Top Bottom