• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation trailer

No idea who this guy is but he loved it too.

And this guy.

These guys look like the very definition of the RLM nerd crew.

maxresdefault.jpg
e7a.jpg
DentalPassionateBuffalo-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Rumor is this series might even kill Orko, that's a travesty if they do that.

Kevin Smith Spoils Major Character Death In Masters Of The Universe: Revelation, Reveals It Was Done Solely To Make Fans Angry​

Ulysses 31

So how do guys look like that whinge about woman having lead roles?
oh

wGVHO6x.jpg
2B3fZet.jpg
JCyVVSl.jpg
FW4A1P3.jpg

They look pretty similar, either fat or with massive beards. Nerdrotic especially looks just like Mike and Jay in those images with that back ground.
You either didn't watch their videos or you're being bad faith here, they didn't complain that a woman is taking charge now.

Their issue is that the promotional material gives the strong impression that it's still He-Man's show rather than Teela's and Kevin Smith lying about it. Don't think any of them have said if the show itself is bad or not so far.

sol_bad

You either didn't watch their videos or you're being bad faith here, they didn't complain that a woman is taking charge now.

Their issue is that the promotional material gives the strong impression that it's still He-Man's show rather than Teela's and Kevin Smith lying about it. Don't think any of them have said if the show itself is bad or not so far.

It's all they do, I follow them. All their videos are them complaining about woman this, woman that, woke this and woke that.
Babyface probably says WHAMAN 20-30 times in each of his Loki "reviews".

So how do guys look like that whinge about woman having lead roles?
oh

Geezuz christ man, you're such a dishonest consumer wh*re it's unbelievable.

Fans are upset that Smith lied to them and sold them a He-Man show where he's basically reduced to a side character. Imagine a She-Ra show without She-Ra, people would be upset too.
If you can't see the frikkin' travesty of having no strong male lead characters in a He-Man show, then you're off your rocker.

I'll take Grace Randolph's review over your paid YouTube shills.

Ulysses 31

It's all they do, I follow them. All their videos are them complaining about woman this, woman that, woke this and woke that.
They complain about the way Hollywood uses lazy/bad writing to prop up women at the expense of men, never that having a woman be the show runner is in itself a problem.

sol_bad

Than why do you watch them if they offend you so much?

Sure, they do anger me sometimes but I still like to see what they say.
Pretty amazing how I post a few reviews and some of you guys basically put them down because of how they look. Then I do the same thing for a bunch of Youtubers I was positive you followed and acted all offended.
o_O

You guys may think the Youtubers who are doing positive reviews are paid shills but they guys you follow are no doubt exploiting their fanbase to make their money.

It's all they do, I follow them.

You probably watch more of their videos than I do. I sometimes watched a Nerdrotic video for his Dr. Who reviews. I know he owned a comic store so his "nerd cred" seems not superficial in nature.
I don't watch the Quartering at all and I don't even know the other two.

Stop looking for easy scapegoats, when the decline in Hollywood entertainment is plainly obvious to everybody who isn't a media addled consumer zombie.
You have guys like Tarantino just straight out telling you:

You guys may think the Youtubers who are doing positive reviews are paid shills but they guys you follow are no doubt exploiting their fanbase to make their money.

It's hardly "exploiting the fanbase" when they are merely saying out loud what everybody thinks.
You're just salty that these people criticize the media that you consume, when you just want to turn off your brain and be drip-fed that crap.

sol_bad

Smithy himself has a QA.

*EDIT*
BTW strange headache strange headache , someone I follow for comics news, Omar has about 50,000 subscribers and he is able to have Youtube as his full time job, that's his wage.
Nerdrotic has 351k subscribers, Babyface has 279k subscribers, Quartering has 1.2 million. Ryan has about 60k subscribers. These guys are definitely making bank on their fan base, even if they realistically had differing opinions to what they say in their videos, they can't afford to have those differing opinions out in the open, they need to make sure they align with their fan base or their bottom line will be hurt.
I'm not saying it's bad for them to make bank from their fans, it's good. But their fanbase is what their opinions are in their content. They can't risk changing that.

I rarely see these guys talk about anything in a positive light, it's 95% negative.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Sure, they do anger me sometimes but I still like to see what they say.
Pretty amazing how I post a few reviews and some of you guys basically put them down because of how they look. Then I do the same thing for a bunch of Youtubers I was positive you followed and acted all offended.
o_O

It is not noteworthy criticism that Netflix's video promotion(so far) is generating false expectations of the show?

Last edited:
I don't like Az (heelvsbabyface) but I think Gary (Nerdrotic) is spot-on in his criticism.
And they don't just complain about women lead movies. Did they cry about the first wonder woman or Alita? No, they did not.

oagboghi2

Reading back this thread has been hilarious. Every single rumour so far seems to be true.

clownfish are owed an apology.

also, I’m even more scared of the Cowboy Beboy live action movie now.

I don't like Az (heelvsbabyface) but I think Gary (Nerdrotic) is spot-on in his criticism.
And they don't just complain about women lead movies. Did they cry about the first wonder woman or Alita? No, they did not.
It’s sol_bad sol_bad , don’t bother. Some people are just obsessed with complaining about youtubers.

I think he genuinely thinks the only reason people don’t enjoy something is because people have the freedom to have contrary opinions about it, and can express it.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned

Kevin Smith Spoils Major Character Death In Masters Of The Universe: Revelation, Reveals It Was Done Solely To Make Fans Angry​

You know, when we talk about comic/west and anime/east creators and the relationships with their fans, I never hear of anime/manga creators having overall such utter and direct contempt for their fans and userbase as the Western creatives (especially the wokes) seem to these days.

Last edited:
These guys are definitely making bank on their fan base, even if they realistically had differing opinions to what they say in their videos, they can't afford to have those differing opinions out in the open, they need to make sure they align with their fan base or their bottom line will be hurt.

You are getting it wrong, I don't need youtubers to tell me what to like. I share other sources because they happen to agree with my own opinions in order to better convey my views on this forum.
I stumbled upon Nerdrotic because I thought the new Dr. Who series were absolutely terrible, not the other way around.

Besides, if these youtubers merely express the views of their own fanbase, then how is that a bad thing?
Maybe the reason why these channels are so popular are because they hit the nail on the head for many people who happen to share the same views.

Instead of scapegoating your fanbase, maybe take it seriously. That is the road to success.

I rarely see these guys talk about anything in a positive light, it's 95% negative.

Has it every occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, the vast majority of mainstream entertainment truly is just utter crap? People are not happy with the current quality anymore and they are tired of seeing their favorite shows run into the ground. That is the inevitable result of a creatively broken entertainment industry that is designing shows by committee and keeps regurgitating remakes of once popular shows, rather than come up with new stuff and innovate.

F*ck me, all that people wanted was a big muscly dude wielding a badass sword going on adventures with his crew fighting bad dudes... and not even that they could get right anymore.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Smithy himself has a QA.

*EDIT*
BTW strange headache strange headache , someone I follow for comics news, Omar has about 50,000 subscribers and he is able to have Youtube as his full time job, that's his wage.
Nerdrotic has 351k subscribers, Babyface has 279k subscribers, Quartering has 1.2 million. Ryan has about 60k subscribers. These guys are definitely making bank on their fan base, even if they realistically had differing opinions to what they say in their videos, they can't afford to have those differing opinions out in the open, they need to make sure they align with their fan base or their bottom line will be hurt.
I'm not saying it's bad for them to make bank from their fans, it's good. But their fanbase is what their opinions are in their content. They can't risk changing that.

Why do they need to be positive? Why are you worried about about their income? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Is their a quota they are supposed to meet?

Maybe they are popular because they don't pretend everything ever made is a fucking masterpiece. Just a thought?

What are your thoughts on Netflix running a bait and switch, since now it's obvious that is what they did?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Grace gets early screenings for reviews and yeah...

Kevin Smith lied and her review pretty much confirms the rumors:

Major queerbaiting and no strong male characters, for a He-Man show :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Not a single lead male character or even a strong male supporting character? 👀

Even a progressive like Grace Randolph thinks it's unfortunate how much of the men's roles have been taken away so far. 👀👀

Last edited:

sol_bad

Why do they need to be positive? Why are you worried about about their income? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Is their a quota they are supposed to meet?

Maybe they are popular because they don't pretend everything ever made is a fucking masterpiece. Just a thought?

What are your thoughts on Netflix running a bait and switch, since now it's obvious that is what they did?

I'll watch the show first and then give you my thoughts.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
So....the sorceress dies leaving he-man as prince adam the whole time and they kill orko apparently?!?

Angry Michael Scott GIF

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
These people really love destroying franchises kids grew up with.

Literally came up with the idea "We're going to take a series associated with He-Man, a strong masculine character, and utterly erase him and any other strong masculine characters while making the feminine characters masculine instead and making the series all about them"

And this is just Part 1 of the season, isn't there a part 2? What more will they do?

They had no problem making a new She-Ra that even hyper-focused on girl power and strong women. But god forbid they make a show about strong men.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

No idea who this guy is but he loved it too.

And this guy.

Those people got the episodes in advance in order to promote their channel and the series. Do you really expect them to do anything less than totally shilling the show?

Even if you're just a MotU fan and NOT a He-Man fan (yes, it can work - I was a Dragon Ball fan but NOT a Goku fan), one must admit that a MotU series without He-Man being the protagonist is immediately missing the main point - which was the He-Man vs Skeletor rivalry.

And all those She-Ra crap Princesses of Power shills playing the misogyny card on twitter ... I wonder how they would fill if She-Ra went AWOL and it was up to Bow to stop Hordak.

Last edited:

kunonabi

So....the sorceress dies leaving he-man as prince adam the whole time and they kill orko apparently?!?

Angry Michael Scott GIF

Yeah, sounds about right based off how they've been talking plus how the plot is looking.

Like it isn't the worst premise if you have an amazing payoff to it. Problem is the payoff is going to be shit since the writers' politics won't let them do anything worthwhile and it's not how you should start a big revival of a dormant franchise.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Teela was one of my favorite He-Man action figures.
She had that completely bad ass alpha chad Snake Hood headdress and Snake Staff (sick Cobra/Serpentor vibes). So I am down with her being a complete bad ass.

However, you shouldn't fuck with orko or battle cat. Orko was a trooper and battle cat is a goddamn war tiger.

longdi

Banned

Major queerbaiting and no strong male characters, for a He-Man show :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ouch! another+1 attempt to make a heroine show, but written and directed by many males with their views of a strong female stereotyping. 🤷‍♀️

we had many lovable heroine done better, the recent being Loki sylvie, loved the small details like how she ties up her hair when entering the TVA for battle.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Geezuz christ man, you're such a dishonest consumer wh*re it's unbelievable.

Fans are upset that Smith lied to them and sold them a He-Man show where he's basically reduced to a side character. Imagine a She-Ra show without She-Ra, people would be upset too.
If you can't see the frikkin' travesty of having no strong male lead characters in a He-Man show, then you're off your rocker.

I'll take Grace Randolph's review over your paid YouTube shills.
I was kinda shocked Grace Randolph wasn't in love with the show. She was really tip toeing on the review so as to not offend either the studio or the fans of he-man. Usually she pretty much is really biased towards female leads, race swapping, and anything diverse which was kinda why I stopped watching her reviews.

Ended up watching another reviewer who pretty much said it was a Teela show but that the show was pretty good.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
Oh, and apparently from the comments in Grace review...Teela is now....a lesbian! But of course! Apparently she's going to be gay with the race-changed girl Ardra or such.

Because of course, they had to add that check-box in the DEI Excel checklist/

Oh, and apparently from the comments in Grace review...Teela is now....a lesbian! But of course! Apparently she's going to be gay with the race-changed girl Ardra or such.

Every Netflix show is mandated to have a lesbian.

Dthomp

I truly don't understand why on earth these people have to bother with stuff like characters sexuality in a fucking cartoon like this. Everybody who grew up on He-Man, GI Joe, etc for the most part are functioning human beings without sexuality being added to something aimed at children.

Lupingosei

Banned
You do realize that Waman is a joke out born out of Katy Perry interview, popularized by PewdiePie. Waman deserve respect, they don't earn it like everybody else, you just have to respect them.

Batwaman did not have to train like Bruce Wayne did. While Bruce had to earn his skills, in Batwaman the costume is enough and a Batwaman deserves the same respect as a Batman.

That is kind of the point, none of those new strong female characters has to earn anything, they just are born with it. Rey or Mulan, they do not have to gain the respect of their peers by hard work or self-sacrifice like in the animated Mulan for example. They are perfect from the beginning, just suit up and you are the Batwaman, the bestest Jedi EVOR or superhero Mulan.

If you are a waman you are perfect. While in the past the Doctor for example had to reminded of his humanity by his companions. The doctor is now a waman and she never makes mistakes, any criticism she gets from her companions is not only downplayed, it is almost sacrilegious to even question her.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

The funny thing is, the strong male and female characters were the reason for many LGBT folks "sexual awakenings" to take from another thread. Just goes to show how little these people care and how much they just want to claim they do. "We are totally allies, guys!"

Damage control?
I'm just excited for the show brah.

Dude, I legit can't tell if you have really low standards or just defend anything that has an inkling of poorly written social slacktivist written on it.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Everything about this show are so boomers man its a boomer wet dream😂

I imagine millenials and Gen Z are so out of touch with this franchise

Last edited:
In this interview, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Teela's voice actress, is crapping on the original show in order to shill for summer wines:

“I obviously grew up knowing He-Man, but it was such a boy cartoon, and I love what Kevin is doing with this. He is making it for everybody — adults, kids, girls, boys, undecided — it’s about having your world turned upside down and finding the strength within yourself to continue on,” the mother of two said.

0e3RptT.jpg

Never thought I'd see a He-Man show used to sell light summer wines for women.
Sarah Michelle Gellar has got to be frikkin' desperate.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Wait a second… so the series is a bait and switch and is about the adventures of teela?

And they kill my boy orko? They kill orko?

Fuck you, Kevin Smith.

Fuck you.

Topfuel

Smithy himself has a QA.

*EDIT*

Why do Smith have all these weird hand gestures flying all over the screen?

The Friday Night crew it is all about donations. You see 50-300 USD donations regularly on the weekly shows. Just look at all the different statues and figures AZ is ordering on the Hawt toys show, so it seems it is quite lucrative to be against everything.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I could get behind a teela show if

A. She gets the sword and turns into He-man, then the show explores her dealing with a man's powerful body, his urges and lists, and the crushing weight of expectations of being such a man and how that differs from the hot girl privilege she has been living under so far

Or B. She was secretly riding that He-man python all along and now that he is gone not even Clamp Champ or illicit rendezvous with Beast-man can satiate her, thus she goes gay. But she was pregnant with he-man's child and now has to protect and raise him to be the new he-man. Kinda model her after Alexander the Greats mother Olympias.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I could get behind a teela show if

A. She gets the sword and turns into He-man, then the show explores her dealing with a man's powerful body, his urges and lists, and the crushing weight of expectations of being such a man and how that differs from the hot girl privilege she has been living under so far

Or B. She was secretly riding that He-man python all along and now that he is gone not even Clamp Champ or illicit rendezvous with Beast-man can satiate her, thus she goes gay. But she was pregnant with he-man's child and now has to protect and raise him to be the new he-man. Kinda model her after Alexander the Greats mother Olympias.

I wouldn't mind a Teela show if it was correctly marketed as a Teela show and was well written/consistent with her character. Nothing in the new show suggests such.

Methos#1975

I'm going to watch and cross my fingers it turns out OK but I need to ask, what is the point of rebooting these properties if you are changing so many elements of them that you push away the already installed fanbase? It's not like these reboots and such are really bringing in new fans, so why try to offend and push away the already present fanbase?

Top Bottom