• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingkiller Chronicles being developed into a movie, TV show and videogame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blatz

Lionsgate is developing a movie, TV show and videogame based on Patrick Rothfuss’ fantasy series “The Kingkiller Chronicle.”

The series is centered on the wizard Kvothe, who survives a tragic childhood to become a notorious household name. “The Kingkiller Chronicle” series of books and novellas has sold 10 million copies, and the first two books — “The Name of the Wind” and “The Wise Man’s Fear” — were New York Times bestsellers.

Robert Lawrence (“Clueless”) is producing. 20th Century Fox Television and New Regency Productions had been developing a “Kingkiller” TV series in 2013.

Lionsgate said “Kingkiller Chronicle” is the best-selling fantasy series behind “Game of Thrones.” Negotiations with several studios launched this summer with meetings taking place during Comic-Con.

Lionsgate Motion Picture Group Co-President Erik Feig and creative executives Jeyun Choi Munford and Jessica Switch will work on the movies. Lionsgate Executive Vice President of Television Chris Selak will spearhead its television adaptation and Lionsgate President of Interactive Ventures and Games Peter Levin will be in charge of videogame development.

“Pat Rothfuss’s imaginative storytelling, the spellbinding character Kvothe and the vivid world of Temerant in ‘The Kingkiller Chronicle’ series have a passionate and savvy fanbase and the potential to reach an even broader audience in adaptation,” Feig said in a statement. “It is rare that a property comes along with a world so rich and multilayered that it lends itself to exploration across film, television and video game audiences at the same time.”

The deal was negotiated by Bonnie Stylides for Lionsgate’s Motion Picture Group and by Dan Hadl for the Television Group. Rothfuss is repped by Jerry Kalajian of Intellectual Property Group, Matthew Bialer of Sanford J. Greenburger Associates and Matt Sugarman of Weintraub Tobin.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/kingkiller-chronicle-movie-tv-show-lionsgate-1201607468/

I'm sure it will all be awful. I'm in though.

But why both a tv show and movie?

Oh you know exactly the reason for that.

I'm curious how a video game would work in that setting. Not to say there is no action but Kvothe is basically a scientist/musician, he doesn't really swordfight or shoot magic at people
at least until he learns super kung fu in the second book.

For about half a second I thought this all was a spin off of Game of Thrones about the Kingslayer.

I have no idea what Kingkiller Chronicles are though.

ninjabat

The tv series on Fox won't work wuth all the sex in the second book.

Is Lionsgate any good with making games? What are the chances of this being big budget AAA?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm going to enjoy seeing how they try to make it interesting.

Another fantasy show picked up for multiple projects without a release date for the next book in sight.

Also I'm all for more of America experiencing just how much of a m'lady the protag of this series is. It'll be hilarious.

And when they get to the elf chapters. Oh god. I'll die

Blatz

Another fantasy show picked up for multiple projects without a release date for the next book in sight.

Also I'm all for more of America experiencing just how much of a m'lady the protag of this series is. It'll be hilarious.

And when they get to the elf chapters. Oh god. I'll die

Another reason Abercrombie is the better choice. He's got the trilogy and then at least 2 other books in the same world to pull from.

Oh damn, finally some news, eh? Hmmm. I love the books, but I guess we'll see how putting it into visual mediums will work.

Honestly, those books are some of my absolute favorites in a long time, so I'm kinda nervous about it :(

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Is Lionsgate any good with making games? What are the chances of this being big budget AAA?

Could easily be some shitty tie in mobile game like The Walking Dead one that is constantly spamming my twitter feed.

Dot-N-Run

I've only read the first book in this series. I found it to be a fairly enjoyable read, although it did have some issues, mainly in that the main character was a master at everything he did. That kind of writing always feels a bit lazy to me. Judging from the sections set in the present (as he tells his story to the chronicler) I get the feeling that he only becomes even more amazing at everything in the second book. Maybe one day I will get around to reading it.

Kin5290

The books are awful, but it's going to be great seeing people realize just how much of a sad goon the main character is. Plus the absolute lack of forward progress in the plot (such that it is) and repetitive story elements (Kvothe is poor! Now he's not. And he's poor again!) are going to be really noticeable in a non book format.

The First Law trilogy by Abercrombie would be a far greater source material for adaptation, but Lionsgate bring Lionsgate they'd probably screw it up.
Another reason Abercrombie is the better choice. He's got the trilogy and then at least 2 other books in the same world to pull from.
An HBO miniseries featuring Monza Murcatto would be amazing.

Enjolras

Neo Member
Expecting this to be awful, hoping for it to be good, consuming it all either way.

I just love the books, and I have no idea how parts of it will adapt well. But hey, more Kvothe is never a bad thing.

I read the first book, The Name of the Wind or something.

It was pretty much a pulp fantasy novel. Not a whole lot of depth. It mostly meandered into ultimate nerd fantasy, where the main character Kvothe (terrible name) is just the best at everything.

Its not a good book o worthy of much note. So i don't understand this at all, it has nothing to say narrative wise and its just a self fulfilling fantasy. The main character is good at almost anything he does.

Garjon

I liked the first book for showcasing the classism that would exist in a fantasy medieval-ish world and the difficulties that a traveler would face there, but it did fall into some of the tropes of older fantasy. The second book marked a steep decline however, dedicating a big portion of the book to an overdone succubus storyline that went absolutely nowhere, followed by him
committing multiple acts of cold blooded murder of thieves out of nowhere

Either way, I'm expecting this to be awful, I just don't see the good parts of the first book translating well onto film. I'd also rather Rothfuss actually finished the last book first too.

He also said this
https://www.reddit.com/r/writing/comments/2rjjqi/patrick_rothfuss_on_writing_women_sorry_for_the/

Jigorath

Banned
I'm waiting for the series to finish before I start reading the books. I don't need another Ice and Fire situation.

tariniel

I know it's been said earlier in the thread but I couldn't stand getting into another series TV show before there's a release date for the last book in sight. I loved the first two books but god damn.

Even if my GAF username is based on said series of books.

Veelk

Banned
This should be added to the OP

His Blog Post detailing how the deal went down

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2015/10/hollywood-news/

I actually just finished my 3rd reread of his book, so this is good news. I would have just been happy with a TV show, personally, but a movie in addition is a good format that I have been thinking was long overdue for use. I didn't expect them to do a videogame as well though. That'll be interesting.

Ezalc

Count me among the people who lost interest at the sexcapade part. I'll still read the third book, if it's ever released. I didn't like the stories focused on Auri or Bast that much. Mostly because it explains nothing about their past, not even hints of what's to come.

Worst part is that I had finally found a story about somebody who's a bard, he basically is one, who is badass and also has wind magic. How am I supposed to find a good story about one of those things now, much less together.

Lion's Gate should be developing Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy instead IMO.

Every time I hear news of another GoT cash-in fantasy adaptation and it's not First Law I just have to stop and ask "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING IT PRINTS MONEY".

I'm just sitting here waiting for The Dresden Files to finally get the adaptation it deserves, but no, do go on, this looks... interesting.

spootime

Looking forward to their explanation of why an advanced society doesn't understand human sexual reproduction

ryseing

Yeah I'm confused. Thought Fox had obtained the rights a while back.

Lionsgate is Hunger Games and stuff like that.

Every time I hear news of another GoT cash-in fantasy adaptation and it's not First Law I just have to stop and ask "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING IT PRINTS MONEY".

Tad too gritty and no attractive female lead.

This is cool and all but The Starlight Archive needs to be made into new media next. A video game would be incredible, since I don't see it working as a tv show or a movie really

Had DoS came out and flopped it would've killed all momentum for a show/movie. Maybe now that Rothfuss got his media deal done he can finally set a release date for the third book.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh it's kind of coming back to me.

They have some lame reason for not getting pregnant, or something... right?
They are a sexually liberal society so they never find out about the reproductive process because everyone has sex with everyone.

Also their STD rate is 1/100 apparently.

Barzul

I'd rather see the Stormlight Archive made into a series. Now that has potential in my eyes. The second book into Kingkillers and that faerie let's just say I don't see how they pull it off. It was just not good.

spootime

Oh it's kind of coming back to me.

They have some lame reason for not getting pregnant, or something... right?

They think the idea of men impregnating women is silly. Instead they believe that women just have babies when its their time. Truly astounding deductive reasoning.

spootime

Honestly there just isn't another fantasy series out there thats even remotely close to the quality of ASOIAF. I don't think I can see any other series out that would make a good tv show - including first law, stormlight, mistborn, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom