• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingkiller Chronicles being developed into a movie, TV show and videogame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevenWolf

The books are my favourite novels, but everything that I have heard from the Tv show at least indicates that these adaptions will not end well :(

One of my favorite series of all time...but I'm certainly a little weary about this whole thing. Feels like a lot at once. Hope it's not overkill. But who knows - it might turn out to be great.

Anyway, I just want that damn 3rd book...

UraMallas

I love the two books that are out but this sounds like a terrible idea to me. This series will not translate to film and keep what makes it great. Something like Mistborn would be great on the big screen. I think King Killer is written better the Mistborn but that is part of why I don't think it can be translated as well.

The fact that there are only two books is another big strike against it. I mean, you have maybe 3 movies of content if you stretch and what does that leave for the TV show and videogames?

Just an all around bad idea.

RevenWolf

One of my favorite series of all time...but I'm certainly a little weary about this whole thing. Feels like a lot at once. Hope it's not overkill. But who knows - it might turn out to be great.

Anyway, I just want that damn 3rd book...

Yeah, from what I heard of the show they're doing, they've ditched the overarching narrative structure (who's telling the story) and the summary doesn't include
the university, or literally anything in the first chapter with old kvothe.

Darryl

Banned
Another fantasy show picked up for multiple projects without a release date for the next book in sight.

Also I'm all for more of America experiencing just how much of a m'lady the protag of this series is. It'll be hilarious.

And when they get to the elf chapters. Oh god. I'll die

I bet this won't even be about Kvothe, hence why we get a film and a show. They're obviously not about the same material

UraMallas

Yeah, from what I heard of the show they're doing, they've ditched the overarching narrative structure (who's telling the story) and the summary doesn't include

Well then what the fuck is it even about?

WGMBY

I really like Patrick Rothfuss, but I would much rather he finish the 3rd book and then option all this shit, instead of the other way around. I don't want a Game of Thrones situation where the TV show gets ahead of the books.

Darryl

Banned
I really like Patrick Rothfuss, but I would much rather he finish the 3rd book and then option all this shit, instead of the other way around. I don't want a Game of Thrones situation where the TV show gets ahead of the books.

Wait till the third book comes out and you find you have to wait for a whole new trilogy to conclude before you get any closure

Sometimes, PA is on point:

scOLPBp.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

How could they not include the former.

They think the idea of men impregnating women is silly. Instead they believe that women just have babies when its their time. Truly astounding deductive reasoning.

You forgot to mention that
They don't notice children look the person that is actually their father because their reasoning is "All babies look like old men".

Darryl

Banned
I bet they will spin the university off into its own $$$ generator

Film will be about Elodin, or Will and Sim

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They haven't even spun off GoT and that's spinoffable as hell.

No way this would get a spinoff.

Maybe a Auri special based on that novella.

It HAS to be about Kvothe. The universe isn't interesting enough to warrant a spin-off. The story of Kvothe and how he becomes the 'Kingkiller' and all of the crazy tales of him are what make the story. The most interesting aspect of the story
the black spider creatures in the old kvothe times
aren't likely to get explored.

Trojita

Can we all agree that Denna is the worst and that Kvothe
is fucking dumb for not sexing Fela
?

Darryl

Banned
They haven't even spun off GoT and that's spinoffable as hell.

No way this would get a spinoff.

Maybe a Auri special based on that novella.

GoT is a good story though. NoTW is promises of a good story, everyone sitting patiently and hoping it delivers.

It's also about stories within stories within stories. Spinning-off would be fitting.

TraBuch

Banned
Absolutely loved the first book and I waited so long for the second book only to not read it. It's on my Kindle and I still haven't read it.

This is dumb. That series doesn't deserve being adapted. First Law, dagger and Coin series, Stormlight archives, even Weeks' lightbringer series have better potential.

TraBuch

Banned
This is dumb. That series doesn't deserve being adapted. First Law, dagger and Coin series, Stormlight archives, even Weeks' lightbringer series have better potential.
What we need is a Gentleman Bastard show. It would translate soooooo well to TV.

If any fantasy series deserves to get adapted it's Malazan: Book of the Fallen

it would appeal to Game of Thrones fans in the sense that it's many points of views, mature fantasy, and has character deaths that really fucking suck.

It appeals to other geeks in that it also has a more traditional fantasy setting, parties, and a really interesting mechanic to its gods/demigods.

Haly

Can we get Earthsea on HBO?

Decado

If any fantasy series deserves to get adapted it's Malazan: Book of the Fallen

To do that series justice you'd need a budget that dwarfs GoT. Not gonna happen. EDIT: 'course I'm sure I said something similar about GoT way back...

I think Gemmell's novels would be perfect as stand alone films or mini-series. Probably wouldn't be that expensive, either (make for some great modest budget R-rated films).

Decado

GoT is a good story though. NoTW is promises of a good story, everyone sitting patiently and hoping it delivers.

It hasn't and probably won't, if book two is anything to go by.

Loved the first novel, but holy shit was his sophomore effort disappointing.

To do that series justice you'd need a budget that dwarfs GoT. Not gonna happen. EDIT: 'course I'm sure I said something similar about GoT way back...

I think Gemmell's novels would be perfect as stand alone films or mini-series. Probably wouldn't be that expensive, either (make for some great modest budget R-rated films).

there's like one major battle per novel. As long as they put ALL of the budget into that battle the rest can be south park style for all i care :p

ramuh

Oh Kote. Find your Name!

I'm reading second book for like the tenth time waiting on the sequel. :(

Trojita

You guys complain about how long it took in the book to get done with Kvothe's Sexomancer training, but the whole time his group spent in the forest before that was ABSOLUTELY terrible. Where the hell was his editor?

You guys complain about how long it took in the book to get done with Kvothe's Sexomancer training, but the whole time his group spent in the forest before that was ABSOLUTELY terrible. Where the hell was his editor?

having all of the sex with all of the ladies

everybody was

it isn't at all a sex power fantasy.

"And lo Kvothe was so good at the sex. He was so good he could give a look to a random bar lady and she'd sploosh all over the floor"

TTG

I don't pay attention to tv outside of HBO so I don't have a term for this type of show, but they have to go for an endearing, campy sort of thing. I am thinking something closer to Parks and Rec than Game of Thrones. The whole thing is full of cringe and so obviously rote that if they take it even a little bit seriously it's going to fall apart. You have to do that, or carry over some fundamental elements and leave the rest behind.

ZiZ

I haven't read the second book, and I've forgotten most of the first one.

I don't remember Kvothe having lots of sex in the first book. I don't remember him having sex at all. I remember him being a bit too whiny but girls were still crushing on him.

I think it will be a long time before we get stormlight archives on TV. Crazy amount of CGI would be needed for that. They could probably get away with Warbreaker or any of the Mistborn novels, but don't think they could do Stormlight quite yet.

As far as KingKiller goes, I love the books, but if they do translate it, a TV show is about the only way, but not sure its easy to do.

Veelk

Banned
This series is the most insanely difficult series to discuss on gaf. Gaffers usually don't look beyond surface level criticism and exaggerate things, but things get taken to a whole new level with KKC because it plays with a lot of difficult ideas to work with. A character that is a prodigy while still making him a realistic person. A sex scene with a fairy. A culture that has vastly alien views on many things.

What happens is that people attack the absurdity of the ideas themselves rather than considering how they actually function in the novel. This is not to say that the series can't be criticized, but "huur duuur he had sex with a fairy" or "lawlz, dumb culture doesn't understand birth" is not a criticism, they're potshots.

I don't remember Kvothe having lots of sex in the first book. I don't remember him having sex at all. I remember him being a bit too whiny but girls were still crushing on him.

You answered your own comment

there is apparently a healthy serving of hilarious sex in the second book. i haven't read it yet myself though.

Haly

Penny-arcade wasn't exaggerating about "sexomancy".

He goes into fuckforest a virginal nerd and comes out an adonis, capable of instantly melting the panties off of a bar wench with his smoldering gaze.

He goes into fuckforest a virginal nerd and comes out an adonis and instantly melts the panties off of a bar wench with his smouldering gaze.

I think she even says "I have so much of the sex and just by looking at the way he's giving me the fuck my eyes I can tell he has the sex power of a million Brad Pitts"

Darryl

Banned
i gotta pay closer attention to the sexing next time i read the book. i skimmed it the first time, but apparently i missed out on lots of quality material

Veelk

Banned

He goes into fuckforest a virginal nerd and comes out an adonis, capable of instantly melting the panties off of a bar wench with his smoldering gaze.

Yeah, this is exactly what I mean. What you say is mostly accurate, and it sounds stupid on the surface....until you look at the text and fill in all the pieces you skewed.

First off, while Kvothe does not know how to handle women, women have always liked him. Including that bar wench, until she realized he was a virgin and then she just didn't want to make him more uncomfortable. Felurian taught him what goes where, so now when girls give him signals, he can respond. Besides, it's not a look that he gave that did her in, but the fact that he compared her favorably to felurian, who is a legendary figure of beauty, by saying she has a spirit that Felurian doesn't. Handsome guy confidently and meaningfully compliments a girl who was already into him, and she is receptive?! What mary sue hackery!!!1!

Not to mention while now that Kvothe knows what to stick where helps him tremendously with sexing girls (which, btw, literally all his friends have been doing long before him), one of the most significant pieces of conversation he has is that he still does not know how to handle girls emotionally. This talk came from Fela, who liked him for the majority of the time she knew him, and now wouldn't date him for the world even if he was interested, because now she has emotional satisfaction with the one she considered idiot before.

May sound stupid on a surface level if you just describe it the way you did, but when you look at the actual scene, it is far less nonsensical than what most give it credit for. That can describe basically any scene mentioned in the thread thus far.

TTG

Honestly there just isn't another fantasy series out there thats even remotely close to the quality of ASOIAF. I don't think I can see any other series out that would make a good tv show - including first law, stormlight, mistborn, etc.

I think The Dark Tower would make a killer tv series and The Book of the New Sun has as great a universe as any aspiring RPG developer could hope to work with.

VanWinkle

I'm definitely interested in this. I loved the first book. Haven't read the second yet.

But, really, I'd LOVE most to see a high-budget Stormlight Archives series. I just don't know when that would ever be able to be done with tv budgets, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom