• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knights of the Old Republic released 20 years ago today

Gudji

Aging Lethal Weapon GIF

Isa

Wow good memory. I'd forgot the date it released but remember following it closely and getting it from my local Walmart on release day. I had such a great time with it, it stands as one of my favorite Star Wars releases of all time. Back then we were eatin' good with all the SW games lol. The writing was absolutely on point, and while now I guess I'd be able to see the twist coming as a young adult I was astonished at the time. It felt personal the buildup and reveal. HK47 remains one of my most beloved npc's of all time. Some wonderful environments and fun exploration as well, it felt like a true evolution to me going from Baldur's Gate 1&2 to a full 3D game back then.

Here's to good 'ol Bioware...
Pour One Out Dr Evil GIF

Shame TOR was an MMO, since there’s not much quite like KotOR 1 and 2 out there in the world to this day.

I think it losts its MMO identity a long time ago. You should try it. Leveling up is much faster and you can easily just focus on story quests. Every expansion past the Revan one have been solo only. You cant even take a friend with you as most of it is dungeon instanced and heavily story-focused. Even the main flashpoints those with story/dialogue choices are now solo-able. The problem with this is that the game has become extremely easy but if you're interested check out swtorista, she has a ton of guides on how to follow the story/dungeons.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Let's hope the remake happens and that it's good. I absolutely loved this game when it came out on PC.

Trilobit

Shame TOR was an MMO, since there’s not much quite like KotOR 1 and 2 out there in the world to this day.

As I never cared to play it the best thing to come out of it was the gorgeous cinematic trailers:

Whenever Disney makes my interest in Star Wars dwindle, I use those to remind myself that perhaps someday we'll get amazing content.

This was the during peak of Bioware, when every game they released was an automatic Day 1 for me, I think Mass Effect 3 did a lot of damage, and finally DA:Inquisition was just boring. I don't think I bought any of it's DLCs and haven't bought anything from them since, and probably never again. I've no interest in the next DA game, and I've no interest in any more Mass Effect games from them.

Reactions: Isa
The game that made me love rpg. It was deep, engaging with terrific companions. Really would not get hardcore into gaming without koTor 1 and 2.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Man, I used to play this game so much in junior high. It was the first role-playing game that I ever seriously got into because before that I only ever encountered fantasy RPGs, and in my insufferable teenage edginess, I was convinced that medieval fantasy in general was uber gay, and role-playing games were for lame-ass nerds, lol.

But KOTOR changed everything. I was completely enamored with it and it was my gateway drug into a larger world of computer RPGs, which I played a shit-tonne once I got over myself and actually started exploring the fantasy genres with a more open mind. But before that I just kept replaying KOTOR over and over, just trying out different choices and character builds to see what would happen. Bastila was also my first ever video game crush, lol.

Heck, even when KOTOR 2 came out and it turned out to be a disappointment, I still played the shit out of it. It's funny how back in the day, I would just focus on whatever positive qualities the game had, even if other things about it were not as good as I'd hoped they would be.

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

Drizzlehell

Banned
The golden age for Star Wars games. Still had Jedi Knight games, KOTOR, Rogue Squadron, the OG Battlefront games were about to come out, etc.

These days…

awkward pulp fiction GIF
Squadrons is great. Jedi Order/Survivor games are great. Battlefront II eventually got great too. Skywalker Saga is also pretty great. There are some cool VR games too. And I can't wait to play Outlaws, which is looking pretty awesome too.

I mean, let's be honest, save for those few classics, Star Wars games used to be all about quantity rather than quality, because there was a hell of a lot of very mediocre games being rolled out back in the day. At least nowadays there are fewer of them but of a much higher quality.

Valonquar

Dual Wield and Flury made you a lightsaber blender that was pretty much unstoppable pretty quickly. Rest of your points into Engineering and the other stat for dialog stuff for the win. HK47 ALWAYS in party.

Komatsu

The Old Republic duology are the two greatest Star Wars games ever made. Probably two of the few games I've played 15+ times. It is unfortunate that the SWTOR MMO then ruined Revan as a character and all EU content that followed was very subpar.

Ristifer

Squadrons is great. Jedi Order/Survivor games are great. Battlefront II eventually got great too. Skywalker Saga is also pretty great. There are some cool VR games too. And I can't wait to play Outlaws, which is looking pretty awesome too.

I mean, let's be honest, save for those few classics, Star Wars games used to be all about quantity rather than quality, because there was a hell of a lot of very mediocre games being rolled out back in the day. At least nowadays there are fewer of them but of a much higher quality.
I agree there are some good ones now, but none that I can envision being considered classics like those older ones.

Lots of misfires back in the day, but the hits are monstrous.

StereoVsn

Heck, even when KOTOR 2 came out and it turned out to be a disappointment, I still played the shit out of it. It's funny how back in the day, I would just focus on whatever positive qualities the game had, even if other things about it were not as good as I'd hoped they would be.
Wait, what? Kotor 2 was excellent. Yes it has bugs due to as always Obsidian given not enough time, but especially with uncut content mod, it's a better game vs 1.

I actually enjoyed the plot more as well.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Wait, what? Kotor 2 was excellent. Yes it has bugs due to as always Obsidian given not enough time, but especially with uncut content mod, it's a better game vs 1.

I actually enjoyed the plot more as well.
Keep in mind that back in 2005 there was no such thing as restored content mods, and I didn't even have access to the internet. All I had was the vanilla, unpatched game, and even though the amount of bugs was generally manageable and there wasn't any game-breaking stuff that I had to deal with - they were still there. And of course, a lot of the story in the second half of the game, and especially the ending, felt borderline incoherent and that was due to what I would later learn to be rushed development and lots of cut content.

I remember that it was also the same year when Revenge of The Sith came out so I very distinctly remember that it was the first time in my life when I started looking at video games and movies with a more critical eye and felt really disillusioned with Star Wars in general, lol.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I agree there are some good ones now, but none that I can envision being considered classics like those older ones.

Lots of misfires back in the day, but the hits are monstrous.
I guess that's the nature of modern triple-A gaming, lol. Everything is safe and predictably "good" but as a result, nothing particularly stands out because no one takes risks.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

In NA at least, July 15th, 2003.

I remember. I went to the dark side. I made my Chewbacca friend kill the girl to fulfill his life debt to me.

What a game.

It's been 20 years? FUUUUUUCK.
I remember I couldn't play it for a few years because it couldn't run well on my GeForce 2mx p4 with 256 MB ram.

Then finally I played it on a 512mb Celeron with a GeForce 5700.

And wow, what a game. My first ever rpg and I was hooked. Played both games back to back. Second part with all the restored content..

Kotor Was like crack

xVodevil

Force is strong with this one.
Woah this game was so fucking good, probably the first more serious and less like simple action RPG that I've ever finished with my mind completely blown!

Skifi28

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never actually finished it even though I've played it many times. For whatever reason, it was the second game that clicked better for me.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Keep in mind that back in 2005 there was no such thing as restored content mods, and I didn't even have access to the internet. All I had was the vanilla, unpatched game, and even though the amount of bugs was generally manageable and there wasn't any game-breaking stuff that I had to deal with - they were still there. And of course, a lot of the story in the second half of the game, and especially the ending, felt borderline incoherent and that was due to what I would later learn to be rushed development and lots of cut content.

I remember that it was also the same year when Revenge of The Sith came out so I very distinctly remember that it was the first time in my life when I started looking at video games and movies with a more critical eye and felt really disillusioned with Star Wars in general, lol.
That's fair. In this sort of situation could see how the game disappointed.

I liked it anyways, warts and all, but at least on OC side there were more to help with some of the bugs release ld pretty fast.

DaGwaphics

20 years passes too fast. I spent a lot of hours on this one.

I can remember trying to ensure that my character didn't drift to the dark side, but then a few of those dark attacks were really effective. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is one game where the "it's 20 year old" doesn't surprise me lol. For me, I always associate it with early 2000s.

Top Bottom