• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF XV Official Reveal !!

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The allusion that capcom and snk don't have top of the line art teams :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Cary Elwes Laughing GIF

I remember when I was impressed by cel shading.

13 has the worst artstyle of any KOF and hopefully they never let Falcoon do designs for KOF again.

Wasn't Falcoon. He did the designs for those Maximum Impact games. Though I agree about never letting him do designs again. =P

XII's art direction was by Nona (Who I've never been a fan of) and they continued with that style in XIII without him. XII and XIII was also them tracing over 3d models, which I don't think they'd ever done prior.

Futaleufu

Wasn't Falcoon. He did the designs for those Maximum Impact games. Though I agree about never letting him do designs again. =P

XII's art direction was by Nona (Who I've never been a fan of) and they continued with that style in XIII without him. XII and XIII was also them tracing over 3d models, which I don't think they'd ever done prior.

SNK has been doing that since, at least, 1994.

Belmonte

The allusion that capcom and snk don't have top of the line art teams :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Cary Elwes Laughing GIF

Fair enough, let me rephrase: You need a top of the line art team, money and time to do like Arc System.

KOFXIII sprites are great, but the cost of money/time doing this kind of animation was what made SNK switch to the current 3D art. It would be even more costly in KOF case since it is team against team game so it demands more characters. And didn't SNK switch the art team in the last KOF?

Capcom could do, obviously, but they seem so disinterested in emulating 2D art that I didn't even thought about them. Has been a long time since their last fighting game which uses a 2D aesthetic. Also, this kind of animation would make a lot more expensive to produce extra clothes for the characters since you need to rearrange and deform it on every frame, like you would if you were drawing.

On the one hand, it’s good to see one of my favorite franchises of old survive into modernity...
On the other hand, it’s a bit sad seeing the style/vibe of the franchise change with the times...

Things really took a turn for the worse when they introduced Ash Crimson...

Azurro

Banned
The engine also loaded a lot quicker then sf5. I still don't understand the hate besides the graphics.

As a casual fighting game fan that plays a Mortal Kombat or a SF every once in a while, the graphics are just THAT bad, especially when compared to the previous 2D instalments. They look like straight out of a low budget PS3 game. It just doesn't inspire you to play the game when it's THAT bad.

I'm glad the new game is approaching launch PS4 game quality now, I might actually get it. :)

EekTheKat

The first impression I got from this was "So this is why so many people pick the grid/training stage in Street Fighter to play on."

The characters kind of blend into the background here to me, with all the hit sparks/effects going on at the same time it comes across as just a lot of pretty visual noise.

I think it looks good, screenshots and limited video footage so far seems built to impress, but if the actual game is fairly noisy visually with the characters being difficult to read against a busy background and hit effects - I wonder if that will affect how playable it'll be.

Though to be fair, I think I need to see a full in game match clip to better judge this one.

SALMORE

i don't know if the trailer was edited like that on purpose but we couldn't see anything ? everything went super fast !

The character models in the screenshots look amazing, even better than in the trailer itself...

Everyone is talking about the graphics and art style, but there are other factors that will determine whether this KoF is great or not:
- Character costumes. Will they keep the same outfits for everyone? How many characters will get redesigns, and will these redesigns be good?
- Stages. As noted earlier in this thread, stages shouldn't distract from the characters. Also, the stages should be different enough from those of XIV and older games.
- Movesets. Will characters get a least one new move? Will the move animations add something new?
Edit: forgot the roster, lol. Which old characters will come back? Which will be discarded? How many new characters will we get?

Can't wait to learn more about all of this.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The character models in the screenshots look amazing, even better than in the trailer itself...

Everyone is talking about the graphics and art style, but there are other factors that will determine whether this KoF is great or not:
- Character costumes. Will they keep the same outfits for everyone? How many characters will get redesigns, and will these redesigns be good?
- Stages. As noted earlier in this thread, stages shouldn't distract from the characters. Also, the stages should be different enough from those of XIV and older games.
- Movesets. Will characters get a least one new move? Will the move animations add something new?
Edit: forgot the roster, lol. Which old characters will come back? Which will be discarded? How many new characters will we get?

Can't wait to learn more about all of this.

raiden-nakata.png

Raiden will be making an appearance.

in case you don't know .. these characters :

Takuma
Haidern
Yamazaki
Shingo
Hinako

were found inside KOF 14 data ! two of them made it as DLC !!

so we can expect the rest in KOFXV ?
I hope so, Takuma is a mandatory character in my book (even though my brother kicks my ass with him every time we play). A new design would be welcome.

Yuri can easily fit in the wahmen team.

I'd love to see Hinako too, I really like her a lot.

Pejo

Gold Member
Characters that I would like to see back in KOFXV :
B. Jenet would be a dream for me personally. I actually hope we get a lot of first timers or OC, but FG developers always have a balance they have to hit for the hardcore/longtime fans, and I understand that.

B. Jenet would be a dream for me personally. I actually hope we get a lot of first timers or OC, but FG developers always have a balance they have to hit for the hardcore/longtime fans, and I understand that.
I'm writing down my dream roster at the moment for fun, and I'd include a MotW team with Rock, Hotaru, and either Gato or B. Jenet. Man that would be sick.

Two teams I'd love to see as well (but most likely won't happen) are Kim / Jhun / May Lee and Najd / Whip / Elisabeth

Clarissa

Banned
The Meitenkun trailer is much better. But could be longer.
If they are doing 1 character reveal a week, then I predict KOF 15 to release around November 2021.

The 42nd character video (assuming it's one character per week and 42 characters) will be on Oct 27th.

KOF 14 launched with 48 characters + 2 bosses.

GrayFoxPL

The only thing I'm afraid is the dis-proportioned bodies. Samurai Shodown had this problem where people had short torsos, short legs but very long arms. It just looks wrong and I already see Shun'ei having these "monkey arms".

And now after watching new trailer Meitenkun has even longer arms!

bill murray omg GIF

Hope ppl will notice in time for SNK to change it.

Disappointing to see a new trailer open with the character's clothes immediately clipping through his shoulder. Otherwise, KoFXIV's characters all suffered from instances of awkward modeling and a plastic sheen, but after these last few trailers for the forthcoming game, I'm already beginning to sour on the cast's more cartoonish appearance.

Labolas

Compared to Blazweeb, Skullvirginity and Melty Toilet KOF isn't anime as fuck especially if you go by the shinkiro art.
True, but we ain't looking just Shinkiro's art though. The game itself is what people judge the game's looks on. Regardless though KOF does have weeby as fuck characters though.

Personally, I don't like any of those because I found them cringy or eye rolling inducing.

Last edited:
True, but we ain't looking just Shinkiro's art though. The game itself is what people judge the game's looks on. Regardless though KOF does have weeby as fuck characters though.

Personally, I don't like any of those because I found them cringy or eye rolling inducing.
Yeah eyori and Keyoh are weeb as fuck. But Clark Steel, Goro Daimon and Ramon are pretty bad ass grapplers not Pokeman tempkin from guilty gear.

Last edited:

Labolas

Yeah eyori and Keyoh are weeb as fuck. But Clark Steel, Goro Daimon and Ramon are pretty bad ass grapplers not Pokeman tempkin from guilty gear.
Dude, I completely agree with you there. Clark is one of the coolest grapplers that wasn't a roided out dumbass looking character. I'm looking at you, Abagail. Fuck that character.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz
Dude, I completely agree with you there. Clark is one of the coolest grapplers that wasn't a roided out dumbass looking character. I'm looking at you, Abagail. Fuck that character.
Clark has good movement and combos his grapples. Why the fuck don't capcpom do this? Same with Vice. Love her grapple game. Sleeves and shoulder tackle with air grapple dm. Beautiful.

Labolas

Clark has good movement and combos his grapples. Why the fuck don't capcpom do this? Same with Vice. Love her grapple game. Sleeves and shoulder tackle with air grapple dm. Beautiful.
Ono kinda fucked a lot of characters' design in 5, you can see in Alex's redesign which is way worse than his OG look. It was bad in 4 but 5 takes the cake for having a lot of new characters and redesigns look like shit.

Vice is one female grappler done correctly, essentially because she doesn't look like a stereotypical grappler.

Last edited:
Ono kinda fucked a lot of characters' design in 5, you can see in Alex's redesign which is way worse than his OG look. It was bad in 4 but 5 takes the cake for having a lot of new characters and redesigns look like shit.

Vice is one female grappler done correctly, essentially because she doesn't look like a stereotypical grappler.
I couldn't give a fuck how they look of they have good gameplay. But fuck capcpom has gief and alex and Abigail as grapplers. Kof has ramon which would be top tier in street fighter no question. Same with Vice. Kof has defensive grapplers and offensive grapplers and combo grapplers. They also have struggle snuggle grappler Xanadu where hos grapple always creates a struggle. Plis Mature is a far better rekka character then fei long or yun.

Top Bottom