• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF XV Official Reveal !!

SALMORE

the characters that Oda wanted to add in KOF 14 !!

D3UlyaQ.jpg

i hope we see them in KOFXV

Last edited:

Self

If you still don't think that's a technical and artistic achievement, we'll just have to leave it at that.

I do think that it's great achievement within gaming (not anime movies!), but nothing can beat/replace hand drawn sprites in my opinion. Streets of Rage 4 proves it for me.

Wonko_C

I do think that it's great achievement within gaming (not anime movies!), but nothing can beat/replace hand drawn sprites in my opinion. Streets of Rage 4 proves it for me.
Word. SOR4 is a thing of beauty. Can't wait to see what Lizardcube will work on next.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
People love to talk about how good kof 13 looks. Did people buy it?
Fuck no. I wasn't even a fan of how it looked. Weird ass design choices like Athena and Yuri looking like they were from a completely different game.

Athena_new.gif

latest

Terry turned into Alex from SFIII

Terry_sprite.gif

I wasn't a fan at all and it looks nothing like the previous KOF games before it.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
It looked good and those sprites stomped on blazblue. But rhe gameplay felt really unbalanced. I hated how for an entire match i could be doing great with defense and one light jab could pop off on me with max cancel bullshit.

Its too bad SNK just didn't use UE from the get go like everyone else did. They wasted alot of time with 12/13 and trying to use their own game engine for 14.

GAMETA

Banned
the characters that Oda wanted to add in KOF 14 !!

D3UlyaQ.jpg

i hope we see them in KOFXV
Butt/Marco Rodriguez is the best brazilian character to ever grace fighting games, the fact that he is "shoto" makes it even better.

Sean from SF could be big too, unfortunately the character will likely never be properly used... Electric Tits sells more costumes.

Last edited:

Self

Fuck no. I wasn't even a fan of how it looked. Weird ass design choices like Athena and Yuri looking like they were from a completely different game.

Athena_new.gif

latest

Terry_sprite.gif

I wasn't a fan at all and it looks nothing like the previous KOF games before it.

The sprite animations were glorious, but the character design was mostly... urgh.

kunonabi

The moe look worked for Athena since she's supposed to dip into the trends of the time. It just didnt work at all for any of the other female characters.

It sure is, too bad many people have only experienced the game by watching an online video.
This.

I watched KoF XIV on YouTube for a long time and then bought it recently. It’s a lot more impressive to look at when you’re actually playing it, both in terms of graphics and animation. Videos watched at 480p on mobile don’t do it justice. That’s why I’m giving XV the benefit of doubt until more footage is released. Imo the trailer wasn’t that well put together. They should have shown the actual gameplay more instead of fractions of seconds.

I wonder why people don’t ask for the next Street Fighter to be 2D? Seriously, the spritework in XIII took so much work it began with Kof XII and carried onto XIII, making XII obsolete in the process.

Also, for those asking why XIV didn’t look like this to begin with, remember they had to create everything from scratch for XIV. With XV, they can keep the XIV base models and improve the looks/shading as well as change costumes and add new characters. They can’t remake everything from scratch for every new game when you have a roster of 50+ characters.

Sure Guilty Gear looks great but the roster is significantly smaller.

lock2k

Banned
Butt/Marco Rodriguez is the best brazilian character to ever grace fighting games, the fact that he is "shoto" makes it even better.

Sean from SF could be big too, unfortunately the character will likely never be properly used... Electric Tits sells more costumes.
Marco is fire. Also love Bob Wilson and Richard Meyer

NT80

I'd take quality over quantity. Cut the cast down to 30 odd and do better with the graphics/animation and make the characters more unique and fully fleshed out with larger movesets. Some of the new characters in XIV seemed really half arsed. I'd also really like them to tone down the max mode combo centric side of the game. Either remove the auto run in on activation or reduce it and increase meter requirements. That spoiled both 13 and 14's gameplay for me. 2002UM is at the moment still my favourite by far.

NT80

2002UM has a huge cast as they reused their sprites and animations. That's isn't the main reason it's my favourite. It has some really interesting unique characters, large movesets and a great system.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
kof-newbeginning-cover.jpg

For the KOF fans I would recommend this manga. Its a canon telling of the story in KOF 14. Has nice artwork especially the combat sequences. The first four volumes of six are already released in english. This manga helped me to understand how much stronger some of the fighters are than others. Its good for tier whoring.

Last edited:

Athena_new.gif

latest

Terry_sprite.gif

Thanks finally someone with a right mind...

KOF13 is overrated af !

Feels too cold and dark for a KOF game. The game feels like cheap and mobile sometimes...

KOF is colorful and not weirdo like ArcSys, also KOF13 has a lot of ass designs.

Last thing about 3D over 2D, because it's easier and better for animations overall (Super, entrance, etc.), but also for the different camera angles, and costumes.

You better enjoy the fact that we have new KOF in 2021 and praise SNK, i loved a lot the last Samsho !

Insane, totally slept on this. Now if only SNK could produce these graphics with the wealth of franchises they have.
No thanks.

Art design is terribly awful, even as an anime i would run far from this.

Same for the music.

ArcSys games are so bad looking and overrated (just my tastes, please no kill). Even if BlazBlue is a little bit better, these games are too weirdo to watch. Only DBFZ recently as an ArcSys game is beautiful, but the lack of stages in this game is insane !

I don't want KOF to be a weirdo japanese anime fighter please.

cireza

People are shitting on KOF XIII to feel better about KOF XV graphics ?

KOF XV looks okay, but it is nothing more than average 3D. At least, the game is not ugly as sin like KOF XIV was.

KOF XIII was absolutely gorgeous. Sprites were huge and the animation unbelievable. Gradients are magnificent. Backgrounds as well.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
People are shitting on KOF XIII to feel better about KOF XV graphics ?

KOF XV looks okay, but it is nothing more than average 3D. At least, the game is not ugly as sin like KOF XIV was.

KOF XIII was absolutely gorgeous. Sprites were huge and the animation unbelievable. Gradients are magnificent. Backgrounds as well.

13 has the worst artstyle of any KOF and hopefully they never let Falcoon do designs for KOF again.

Edit: Nona did those trash 13 designs.

Last edited:

Belmonte

I don't expect any fighting game dev to copy Arc System art. Like some people already said in the thread, it is expensive and very time intensive to do. It is much more about artistry than technology. They pose the characters each and every frame like a 2D artist would draw it. They don't let the computer assist them in any way. Even the shadows are made in a manual way, no shortcut.

You need a top of the line art team to do like Arc System.

Top Bottom