• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Bethesda is misleading gamers about Prey 2, Arkane is in fact making game

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Wow. Somehow, I'd missed the broader details of the Bethesda/Zenimax acquisition one-two combo.

It should't really surprise me, given the stuff I do know they pulled with Obsidian and the like re: FO:NV and other games, but that kind of corporate absorption scheme is brutal.

edit: Of course, who knows what the defining criteria was for Prey 2 (and other games), but from what I remember, I really liked what I saw of Human Head's work.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Some other context

Leaked Prey 2 images from the Human Head build

r0bLRHX.png

Welp, now I don't want to support Bethesda.

After reading this, N8triot's posts, the letter from the Russian developers, the interview with the InXile (sp?) guy, etc etc. Bethesda is gross.

Jarmel

Banned
This whole thing is so fucking idiotic and full of shady shit that I would pay money for a documentary on this.

Nobody gives a fuck about the Prey IP. It would probably be more detrimental than anything if they used the IP now.

Syraxith

Nobody gives a fuck about the Prey IP. It would probably be more detrimental than anything if they used the IP now.

Yep. I honestly can't fathom why zenimax is going through the trouble for a game to an IP no one remembers/cares about.

This might have been asked already but wasn't dishonored made by arkane's French studio? Really hope this doesn't affect d2's development.

SJRB

Gold Member
This whole affair is one of the dumbest things I ever witnessed. All this pseudo-secrecy, drama, dodging and blatant lying. And for what? Prey 2, for fucks sake. Nobody cares about the Prey IP.

The infamous E3 demo got a lot of people interested, sure, but let's not pretend "Prey" is such a mindblowing IP that a sequel will shatter the Earth or something. It seems they are somewhat overestimating the relevance of this title.

Krilekk

Banned
This whole thing is so fucking idiotic and full of shady shit that I would pay money for a documentary on this.

I wouldn't go so far but the people that care about the Prey IP (myself included) will end up with a game that is nothing like Prey. Human Head's version was already anything but what I expect from Prey 2 and Arkane will do no better with a System Shock clone. Just let the franchise die.

If they are truly doing a System Shock spiritual successor I hope they don't call it Prey 2, I hate series reboots with a number, they should call it just Prey, or maybe Prey something something, but please don't call it Prey 2.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I would have preferred Human Head's version. In any case, hopefully Arkane sticks to that idea (works from that build) and indeed can live up to the SS2 namesake. Which I doubt, considering Dishonored.

ArjanN

I wouldn't go so far but the people that care about the Prey IP (myself included) will end up with a game that is nothing like Prey. Human Head's version was already anything but what I expect from Prey 2 and Arkane will do no better with a System Shock clone. Just let the franchise die.

Prey 1 was a pretty generic shooter with 1 or 2 neat gimmicks in every level.

IMO a game in the vein of System Shock is a lot more interesting premise, and I don't see why Arkane couldn't pull that off as all their games have been that same Thief/System/Shock/Ultima Underworld type of game.

Also, it doesn't really matter if Prey wasn't the most beloved IP ever, a known property still sells better than a new IP.

robin2

Human Head was developing Prey 2.

Bethesda/Zenimax stopped paying the developer, justifying the action by citing quality issues at milestones.

Bethesda has done this several times before. Zenimax then starts loaning the developer money to keep them afloat while they try to meet the milestones.
At one point, Zenimax stops loaning them money and demands payment. The studio is forced into selling themselves to Zenimax/Bethesda in order to stay open.

Human Head refused to play ball.
This is pretty bad if true.

ElRenoRaven

You know as a fan of Prey 1 who had a lot of fun with it in spite of it's flaws like never being able to die, Any game that doesn't continue where 1 ended isn't Prey 2. It's not. I don't care what anyone says.

Crawl

Bethesda's pr and super secrecy on their games lately aka doom 4 and now this prey 2 seems super sleazy and just plain fucking weird.

troushers

The greatest shock to me from this whole Human Head story is that Betashed has "quality standards" that you can somehow fail to meet.

Perhaps the Human Head's PS3 alpha build of Prey 2 continued to function after a few hours.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The greatest shock to me from this whole Human Head story is that Betashed has "quality standards" that you can somehow fail to meet.

Perhaps the Human Head's PS3 alpha build of Prey 2 continued to function after a few hours.

Well the accusation from the Human Head side has been that Bethesda frequently starts to reject the milestones of studios they want to buy in order to put them in a bad financial situation and pick them up on the cheap.

Since quality standards is a nebulous bar, they can reject any milestones they want via this method.

DaBuddaDa

Well the accusation from the Human Head side has been that Bethesda frequently starts to reject the milestones of studios they want to buy in order to put them in a bad financial situation and pick them up on the cheap.

Since quality standards is a nebulous bar, they can reject any milestones they want via this method.

I would hope that milestones are defined contractually before development begins. I would hope...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It still makes me chuckle when I hear about 'quality standards' from Bethesda. I know, it's supposedly just their excuses for refusing milestones but it still makes me laugh that this is the same company that released Rogue Warrior, one of the worst FPS released this gen.

Zushin

Wonder if this happened to Machine Games in 2010. Or did they form under Bethesda? At any rate, I hope the recent Wolfenstein delay isn't Bethesda doing something nefarious and that it actually does just need some polishing.

I'll buy it if its good. Don't much care about the pub lying about the game's development to try to control the reannouncement. It's probably not super uncommon.

dionysus

Yaldog
I would hope that milestones are defined contractually before development begins. I would hope...

Outside of the game industry, if you are funding someone elses work you always have clauses in your contract to reject milestones for quality reasons. Nor do you set up a rubric in the contract to define what is good and bad quality, because then the contractor can game the system.

There appears to be a huge difference though in the games industry in that the developers are not financially sound. The check on the funders power in most industries is a lawsuit, but those can take years to resolve. There appear to be very few independent developers who can survive long enough to actually win a court case (winning most likely being a settlement out of court.) With developers having such poor stable cashflow, an unscrupulous publisher can simply always just wait out the other company until it fails.

It is also important to note that the publisher does have internal incentives to behave ethically in most cases. Sure they have all the incentive in the world to throw their weight around, but not to the point of sabotaging their own project and killing their business partners.

unbias

Outside of the game industry, if you are funding someone elses work you always have clauses in your contract to reject milestones for quality reasons. Nor do you set up a rubric in the contract to define what is good and bad quality, because then the contractor can game the system.

There appears to be a huge difference though in the games industry in that the developers are not financially sound. The check on the funders power in most industries is a lawsuit, but those can take years to resolve. There appear to be very few independent developers who can survive long enough to actually win a court case (winning most likely being a settlement out of court.) With developers having such poor stable cashflow, an unscrupulous publisher can simply always just wait out the other company until it fails.

It is also important to note that the publisher does have internal incentives to behave ethically in most cases. Sure they have all the incentive in the world to throw their weight around, but not to the point of sabotaging their own project and killing their business partners.

Typically this is true, however, if a corporation is known for hostile take-overs this(killing business partners) is actually what you do.

It still makes me chuckle when I hear about 'quality standards' from Bethesda. I know, it's supposedly just their excuses for refusing milestones but it still makes me laugh that this is the same company that released Rogue Warrior, one of the worst FPS released this gen.
In all fairness they seem to be going after a higher quality of games to publish these days.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Wonder if this happened to Machine Games in 2010. Or did they form under Bethesda? At any rate, I hope the recent Wolfenstein delay isn't Bethesda doing something nefarious and that it actually does just need some polishing.
No idea what happened here, but I had heard MachineGames was initially working on a new IP. Perhaps that turned into Wolfenstein.

I couldn't resist, considering the topic. =P

That's pretty much what they do.

Don't know how anyone from Bethesda/ZeniMax can act indignant with a straight when their extortionist methods are discussed. If it's (maybe) legal for them to pull that, then it's certainly acceptable for people to drag them over the coals for it.

Grief.exe

Really the revenue stream of the entire game industry is fundamentally broken. This is just one of the many examples and you are exactly right.

Arkane are the guys who made Dishonored, right? Man, that was one ugly game. Nice art style, but the style was hiding some truly awful graphics.
How can they be in charge of Prey2? that was looking so beautiful :(

Marjar

Banned
Arkane are the guys who made Dishonored, right? Man, that was one ugly game. Nice art style, but the style was hiding some truly awful graphics.

Awful? I thought the game was pretty damn good visually. Had a nice water color style to it.

Zushin

I thought Dishonored had good graphics personally.

troushers

This whole affair is one of the dumbest things I ever witnessed. All this pseudo-secrecy, drama, dodging and blatant lying. And for what? Prey 2, for fucks sake. Nobody cares about the Prey IP.

Yep. I honestly can't fathom why zenimax is going through the trouble for a game to an IP no one remembers/cares about.

I agree with all of this, so I guess my theory is that they don't give a shit about Prey 2, really. The secrecy is just to keep the 'sneak fucks' from enquiring too closely into what shit went down with Human Head, and if it was, as has been suggested, a highly shady attempted takeover thwarted.

Perhaps Bethesda think that If they keep things quiet enough, it'll all disappear down the memory hole. Maybe there is a story possible here, but only right now - who's going to give a monkeys about what may or may not have happened in 6 months time, or a year?

Remember when GRIM said this about abusing milestones by Square Enix?
As the relationship deteriorated, the Anderssons say Square Enix sent them a strange demand: Fax us the game's code, including the project's music files. "It is as silly as it sounds," Bo Andersson said (Google translation.) "It is an impossible requirement, you can not send ASCII or binary codes on the fax. It is backward. Really retarded. It was almost a criminal activity."

Square Enix then said GRIN had not been sending its milestone work to the right department, that it should have been filed with the publisher's legal division, an unusual requirement. Square Enix also started complaining that they didn't like the game's Nordic style, even though they'd asked for that at the outset, and is presumably why they went to GRIN in the first place.

Feeling like they'd been set up to fail, GRIN sent Square Enix an image taken from Final Fantasy XII saying it was a production shot from "Fortress." The Anderssons say Square Enix replied "It does not look like Final Fantasy."

"Then we realized that whatever we do ... they have decided," Bo Andersson said. (Google translation).

unbias

I agree with all of this, so I guess my theory is that they don't give a shit about Prey 2, really. The secrecy is just to keep the 'sneak fucks' from enquiring too closely into what shit went down with Human Head, and if it was, as has been suggested, a highly shady attempted takeover thwarted.

Perhaps Bethesda think that If they keep things quiet enough, it'll all disappear down the memory hole. Maybe there is a story possible here, but only right now - who's going to give a monkeys about what may or may not have happened in 6 months time, or a year?

Remember when GRIM said this about abusing milestones by Square Enix?

What probably happened is, they tried a hostile take-over, and when it didnt work there was probably contractual issues with still using the property created by human head. So their only way to finish was to restart the project. This is the only way, what they are doing makes sense. They are a private company, they would have no reason to take a hit like that, unless they didn't have a huge choice in the matter,otherwise, they would have to be pretty dumb.

jschreier

They should. This day in age, with marketing and word of mouth being what it is on the internet, the adherence to strict secrecy is a damaging and unnecessary holdover from an era of marketing long gone.
Hear, hear. This culture of corporate silence is so sickening.

Top Bottom