• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Bethesda is misleading gamers about Prey 2, Arkane is in fact making game

Grief.exe

Can't wait for the RPS or Kotaku Human Head interview. The Bethesda tears will flow.

What the heck is going on there? I lost track of who is developing what.

Here is the quick and dirty summary

Human Head was developing Prey 2.

Bethesda/Zenimax stopped paying the developer, justifying the action by citing quality issues at milestones.

Bethesda has done this several times before. Zenimax then starts loaning the developer money to keep them afloat while they try to meet the milestones.
At one point, Zenimax stops loaning them money and demands payment. The studio is forced into selling themselves to Zenimax/Bethesda in order to stay open.

Human Head refused to play ball and just stopped working on the game. Bethesda/Zenimax recently gave the IP to Arkane.

Salsa

well this suc-

Arkane Studios making the spiritual successor to System Shock

53523-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Conan-Ba-hgfF.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Theyre making A spiritual successor to System Shock? I'm surprised there's not more hype at that statement.

Because any statements about Zenimax games by Zenimax must be taken with all the salt. You really think itll be like SS not just a Bioshock or Dead Space level "successor?"

DaBuddaDa

Next interviews with Raphael Colantonio or any other PR from Arkane will be interesting, to say the least.

He's completely lost all credibility. I doubt we'll hear from him again until he's presenting an actual, physical, real product at a tradeshow in the future.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I don't think people in this thread realize how devs/pubs feel about the press. The press is fucking hated by the majority. They fuck up so much shit.

Salsa

idk about the uproar to "press sneak fucks"

I mean are you really surprised about industry peeps using that kind of language internally?

nicely done Jason, tho

unbias

I said on june 1st, the only way this makes sense, is if they are trying a hostile take over of HH. Seem's it didnt work out, so they reset the project to save face... Good on J for keeping up on this.

Would have been a shame if the story back in the end of may, would have died. Everything they did, didn't make sense, unless they were trying a hostile take-over. The people over at Zeni though are known for their hostile take-overs, so not surprising.

rakhir

I don't think people in this thread realize how devs/pubs feel about the press. The press is fucking hated by the majority. They fuck up so much shit.
Shit like uncovering shady and disgusting dealings between Bethesda/Zenimax and Human Head on Prey 2? Those sneaky fucks.

He's completely lost all credibility. I doubt we'll hear from him again until he's presenting an actual, physical, real product at a tradeshow in the future.
Yeah, he's probably gone from our view for a while, but other PR people will have to deal with this anyway.

ShdwDrake

Banned
And how much they hate people on the GAF who think they know how shit works lol. It shows too everytime something happens the GAF is surprised because the vast majority of people here have no clue how the industry or business in general works but love to act like they do it's kinda sad actually.

RealMeat

Banned

I mean are you really surprised about industry peeps using that kind of language internally?

nicely done Jason, tho

Personally, I could care less about when/how they want to announce their games, but I really don't want to support Zenimax screwing over devs like that.

JDSN

Banned
And how much they hate people on the GAF who think they know how shit works lol. It shows too everytime something happens the GAF is surprised because the vast majority of people here have no clue how the industry or business in general works but love to act like they do it's kinda sad actually.
The Gaf?
Are you having a stroke?

To be fair to Arkane, Kotaku did dig around in their email so "press sneak fucks" isn't completely unwarranted.

Still, this is a pretty unfortunate situation.

antitrop

rLwOhh2.gif

On request

Curufinwe

Any chance you could rephrase this into something coherent and provide examples?

eot

Banned

Please tell us how shit works then, you seem to know

lol thats true...i know a lot of devs ( real ones no pr mouths) and the hate the gaming press with passion,seriously..with passion

and i dont blame them

Acosta

Yes? What's the point? It's stupidly infantile, I would look down on anyone referring to any other in such a language.

Acosta

lol thats true...i know a lot of devs ( real ones no pr mouths) and the hate the gaming press with passion,seriously..with passion

and i dont blame them

We are lucky tonight, a carousel of insidahs are with us! Tell us more guys.

Especially I would like to hear the story of Colantonio reason for hating the press when he got stellar coverage and glowing reviews for his studio new IP. I'm sure press chanting how impressed they were with Dishonored for months did nothing good for the game at all.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Press Sneak Fuck ftw in this case. Also nobody give a shit about the Prey name; it's all about the content they showed. Deliver on that and you got yourself a day 1 buyer.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Press Sneak Fuck ftw in this case. Also nobody give a shit about the Prey name; it's all about the content they showed. Deliver on that and you got yourself a day 1 buyer.

What they showed before is pretty much gone forever.

Gbraga

I think it's even more sad that they care at all. This is just a forum where people give their opinions, educated or not. NeoGAF is not a person, it makes no sense to get mad because "GAF doesn't know about anything". No one here has any obligation to know how it works, NeoGAF is not a job for most members.

I completely agree that some times people (PEOPLE, not NeoGAF, please) are very insensitive and forget that real people with emotions worked very hard on the things they are overreacting about and claiming that anyone who worked on this piece of shit should die of cancer or whatever, but not knowing about how the industry works? And by the same people who hate the press and don't want them to talk about how the industry works? Come on now. You may say "it's not the same people", well, it's not "NeoGAF" either but they love saying so anyway, don't they?

I gave a shit.

For my money Prey 1 had one of the best openings this gen.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I look forward to future developments of this story. Lets hear HH's side of the story. It would seem Zenimax/Bethesda are the real sneak fucks.

I'm surprised Arkane studios would focus on a sequel to that over Dishonored.

This is Arkane Austin. I don't know when this studio was established, but the Arkane who developed Dishonored are based in Lyon, France. I'm pretty sure they'll be focusing on a sequel to that game.

Was there no communication between Bethesda and Zenimax?

I'm at a loss as to why Zenimax seemingly went behind Bethesda's back to pay Human Head despite the fact that there obviously was a reason why Bethesda would not fund them (the failed milestones). Also, how do we know these milestones were 'arbitrarily' rejected? Just because they have done this before does not mean it's unjust if the reason are there, right?

Bethesda are part of Zenimax, so I doubt this arose from a lack of communication between the two. More likely it was a strategic plan to bring Arkane in house for a cheap price.

Further cements my opinion that Bethesda/Zenimax is a fucking awful, awful company. Colantonio sounds like a prick as well going by that email.
I never played Prey 1 but what they showed with 2 was really interesting and looked exactly like something I wanted to play.

Good on Kotaku though.

weevles

I'm still a little confused, so "Press Sneak Fuck" uncovered an email from Besthesda/Zenimax that confirms that the company was trying to hustle developer Human Head into some untenable position where they were either going to get bought out or go out of business for not meeting alleged milestones?

BTW, I think I will refer to all game journalists as "Press Sneak Fucks" from now on...that title just sounds all kinds of awesome.

Vibranium

Banned
Well done by Kotaku, my respect for certain "press sneak fucks" has increased higher. Yeah, Bethesda sounds really shitty to work for based on all this, it sucks Human Head were treated that way as everyone were pretty excited by the footage we were showed. I hope they get to make the game they want to do, I'll try to support them in the future.

I still have faith that Arkane will be able to do something good too though.

This is Arkane Austin. I don't know when this studio was established, but the Arkane who developed Dishonored are based in Lyon, France. I'm pretty sure they'll be focusing on a sequel to that game.

Actually, Dishonored was a co-development between the studios in Lyon and Austin. Though now, it seems the two have become two separate satellite studios rather than just one entity, with Lyon and Harvey Smith working on Dishonored 2 and Austin and Raf Colantonio working on Prey 2.

Who uses "press sneak fucks" in an inter-office email communication, or profanity in a work email for that matter? The original cyberpunk/bounty hunter/Blade Runner Prey 2 looked awesome, but for all we know they could be throwing that concept out right?

DrZeus

Fuck Bethesda if true. Prey 2's e3 2011 showing had me pumped for its release and to know this kinda stuff may be going on behind the scenes is kinda disgusting.

Wikipedia says Human Head helped out on Bioshock Infinite and Defiance, anyone know if that's true? It's not sourced.

Man they've still got Prey 2 on their official studio site. I wonder what is going on over there.

Yup true, they are keeping things afloat over there pretty well thankfully. Hope they get another big contract and can ramp up, love their work.

Jawmuncher

I don't really understand what's going on. Why hide the fact that Arkane is working on Prey 2?

I'd assume they just wanted to come out all out once with it.
Announcement, Trailer, and reveal of developer. While it's not a big deal to know early it does kill a bit of excitement and the like in a way. Though at a company level I don't see that being important but you never know.

Top Bottom