• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
greenownedgreen.gif

↑

Brilliantly explained.

teiresias

Funky Papa said:
That's not true, the big pack is not cheap but is not expensive either. Just the headset and the remote make the price.

Now, buying the peripherals separately... God, they are dumb.

Hmmm, I don't think we're disagreeing here. :D

What I'm saying is that MS has priced the peripherals so artificially high if bought stand-alone that it gives the perception of the big pack being a "deal." I mean, honestly, alot of those peripheral prices are insanity. It'd be like me saying, "Buying this box of Frosted Flakes is a deal instead of me buying each individual flake at $2.00/flake like Kellogg is charging."

Dr_Cogent

Banned
teiresias said:
Hmmm, I don't think we're disagreeing here. :D

What I'm saying is that MS has priced the peripherals so artificially high if bought stand-alone that it gives the perception of the big pack being a "deal." I mean, honestly, alot of those peripheral prices are insanity. It'd be like me saying, "Buying this box of Frosted Flakes is a deal instead of me buying each individual flake at $2.00/flake like Kellogg is charging."

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

You found the princess.

SolidSnakex said:
Sony's now in the position that they're best at, the position of countering someones mistake.

if the PS3 is cheaper than $399 with HDD I will be surprised. I think the accessories with be the same price as the 360 stuff as well.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
This is from the MS Retail ExpertZone:

Hot off the press!! We've got some Xbox 360 news that you'll want to know about!

This morning announcements were made in Germany regarding the Xbox 360 lineup and offering this holiday season. We want to be sure that you are in the know and provide answers to the questions you and your customers have been asking us. In addition, we've added the new Xbox 360: The 4-1-1 course for you to really prepare yourself and your customers for the big Xbox 360 holiday season!

So, here's the quick low down...

Q: When will Xbox 360 be in stores?
A: This holiday season. Stay tuned for more details.

Q: Why are there two Xbox 360 editions?
A: The Xbox 360 will be available in two SKUs (Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Core System) to give consumers the flexibility to enter the immersive, high definition world of Xbox 360 gaming. The two editions give you and your customers the flexibility to enter the immersive, high definition world of Xbox 360 gaming and build toward the complete Xbox 360 entertainment experience. Xbox 360 empowers consumers to customize and upgrade their experiences by selecting accessories that suit their individual entertainment preferences.

Q: What comes with Xbox 360?
A: Xbox 360 is for gamers who want the ultimate digital entertainment thrill ride (and the best value) right out of the box. This premium edition - distinguished by signature metallic detailing on the console itself - comes fully loaded with all the features of the Core System plus a wireless controller, an Xbox 360 Headset, a detachable hard drive (for storing music, video and games, and more), an Ethernet cable, Component HD AV cable and for a limited time, a bonus media remote. At $399.99 U.S., Xbox 360 is for gamers who want the ultimate digital entertainment thrill ride (and the best value) right out of the box.

Q: What comes with Xbox 360 Core System?
A: The Xbox 360 Core System comes standard with what consumers need to jump right into next generation games and media and is fully expandable to the complete Xbox 360 experience. With the Core System consumers will get Xbox features including progressive scan DVD, CD and MP3 Playback out of the box, an Xbox 360 Controller, the ability to connect to Xbox Live, and an S Video cable. At $299.99 U.S., the Xbox 360 Core System comes standard with what consumers need to jump right into next generation games and media and is fully expandable to the complete Xbox 360 experience.

Q: Why will an Xbox 360 Media Remote only be offered with Xbox 360 for a limited time?
A: Holiday units of Xbox 360 (not Xbox 360 Core System) will ship with a bonus media remote while supplies last. This remote is a non-retail smaller version of the Universal Media Remote that will be sold ongoing at retail as an accessory.

Q: Why are you now charging for the hard drive?
A: We want to expand the Xbox experience to different audiences. By offering choice to consumers we allow consumers the flexibility to enter the immersive, high definition world of Xbox 360 gaming and build toward the complete Xbox 360 entertainment experience.

Q: Where can I find out more about the Xbox 360 accessories?
A: Be sure to visit xbox360.com for more information on the sixteen Xbox 360 accessories available this holiday season.

Q: Is Xbox 360 backward compatible?
A: Yes. Our plan and our goal is to make every original Xbox game run on Xbox 360. We've focused first naturally on the top-selling titles.

Q: Where do I get more information?
A: Take the new Xbox 360: The 4-1-1 course today, and visit xbox360.com for more information. Plus, check ExpertZone on a daily basis. We will be posting new trainings on the Xbox 360 system, plus Xbox 360 and Xbox games on a regular basis.

They havent even uploaded the 4-1-1 course yet ,heh.

Borys

Banned
The point is not everybody NEEDS all that stuff from the better package.

Core Pack + memcard for $340 will be enough for the mainstream (plays Madden, right? saves states, right?) and you get that $60 for one game, say, MADDEN!

Core Pack will sell. Like hotcakes.

Borys said:
The point is not everybody NEEDS all that stuff from the better package.

Core Pack + memcard for $340 will be enough for the mainstream (plays Madden, right? saves states, right?) and you get that $60 for one game, say, MADDEN!

Core Pack will sell. Like hotcakes.

But the speculation was that the allocation would be HEAVILY favored towards the bundle, like an 80-20 split.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Go and look for the current headset/cables/remote prices. It is really not that expensive even going with the current rates. It is pretty fair indeed.

MS is still utterly stupid though. I can't wait till the X05 party to see how they shoot their remaining foot.

DrEvil

I should mention, like the retail whore I am;

at any EB games Canada, if you pre-order your xbox, you SHOULD get a coupon for $10 of a launch game. If you dont get it, ask for it -- our store got like 300 of them (the coupons, we can only take 13 pre-orders lol).

Anyways, the only stipulations on the coupons are:

1) you must be picking up a pre-ordered xb360 from EBGames
2) You MUST use the $10 coupon on that day when you pick up your system, and it HAS to be a launch game. (duh)
3) only one coupon per customer per xbox, so $10 off only one game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Am I the only one feeling that the PS3 is now definetly set to retail at 399$ or more? I mean, if you wanna make your system look more powerful than another on the stores shelves you dont sell it at a LOWER price.

Man, next gen prices scare me.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I can't believe we still don't have a launch date or launch games list. MS sure do like doing things in their own time.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
sonycowboy said:
But the speculation was that the allocation would be HEAVILY favored towards the bundle, like an 80-20 split.

that's initial shipment ratio (rumor from kotaku) since most early adopters are hardcore and want the best possible.

A: Xbox 360 is for gamers who want the ultimate digital entertainment thrill ride (and the best value) right out of the box. This premium edition - distinguished by signature metallic detailing on the console itself - comes fully loaded with all the features of the Core System plus a wireless controller, an Xbox 360 Headset, a detachable hard drive (for storing music, video and games, and more), an Ethernet cable, Component HD AV cable and for a limited time, a bonus media remote. At $399.99 U.S., Xbox 360 is for gamers who want the ultimate digital entertainment thrill ride (and the best value) right out of the box.

A: The Xbox 360 Core System comes standard with what consumers need to jump right into next generation games and media and is fully expandable to the complete Xbox 360 experience. With the Core System consumers will get Xbox features including progressive scan DVD, CD and MP3 Playback out of the box, an Xbox 360 Controller, the ability to connect to Xbox Live, and an S Video cable. At $299.99 U.S., the Xbox 360 Core System comes standard with what consumers need to jump right into next generation games and media and is fully expandable to the complete Xbox 360 experience.

does this mean the premium system comes with one wireless controller and one wored controller?

Matlock

Banned
Hahaha, oh man..with the combined cost of the three consoles probably teetering around a thousand with tax...

Looks like the waiting game has begun.

teiresias

radioheadrule83 said:
I can't wait for the PS3 price thread. That shits gonna be hilarious

Please show me were people, en masse, have been proclaiming that the PS3 would launch at $299 with a HDD? People's expectations of the PS3 price and included goodies are far more tempered than the expectations for the X360 price.

If it's $500 or $600, yeah, that shit will be hilarious. Anything else will be ho hum and par for the course.

Amir0x

Banned
DarienA said:
If projected they think it equals a larger # of sales which means overall they'll make it back, why not?

I think Sony has a very real limit that they're going to stick to in terms of how much they're willing to lose on every PS3 unit. 349.99 w/ Blu-Ray + 30GB HD? I mean, that's so cheap it's nuts. Can you imagine them doing that? I mean, that'd be basically the best thing ever... but I can't see that. However, I couldn't see this event either. So who knows!

DrEvil

I'd love to know what kind of attachment the harddrive is -- if it's a modified firewire or usb drive, hell, I'll use my LACiE porsche 40gb drive ;)

CaptainABAB

mrklaw said:
Less time that it would take to load data off DVD, save it to HDD for cache, then back to the console.

Not if you do this while someone is playing the game - i.e. cache the next level while playing the current one.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lesson in being ecomonical with the truth #546

DrEvil said:
Q: Is Xbox 360 backward compatible?
A: Yes. Our plan and our goal is to make every original Xbox game run on Xbox 360. We've focused first naturally on the top-selling titles.

eso76

I don't know if this has been pointed out already, but i just noticed something...

The 399 version has that horrible chrome dvd tray plate while the 299 version's is plain white plastic.. damn. I wanted to buy the deluxe pack but now i am not so sure : P

Lo-Volt

SuperPac said:
So when will EB and Gamestop post up their special preorder bundles that come with cleaning kits and extraneous accessories to add $100's more to the price? :D

When GameStop and EB employees suddenly have a death wish, that's when they'll try it. But in all seriousness, depending again on the proportion of core to premium packages stores will get, hasn't Microsoft in its infinite wisdom done the work for the stores anyway? The premium pack seemd to have a good amount of what would come in a forced bundle, everything except the games. They can't have that much leeway now, can they?

fse

TTP said:
Am I the only one feeling that the PS3 is now definetly set to retail at 399$ or more? I mean, if you wanna make your system look more powerful than another on the stores shelves you dont sell it at a LOWER price.

Man, next gen prices scare me.

Methinks Sony will go after $299 anyway they can. Nintendo, $250.

TigerKnee

Kabuki Waq said:

does this mean the premium system comes with one wireless controller and one wored controller?

Good question. Seems like I may get the Premium edition if this is the case. You get so much for the extra $100 you need to pay

GhaleonEB

TTP said:
Lesson in being ecomonical with the truth #546

Nice. So the $399 package is called "XBox 360", and the other is the "Core System". So when they are asked about whether both are backwards compatable, they could answer, "The XBox 360 is backwards compatable."

It's like they named the systems bundles specifically to cater to deceptive rhetoric. Damn. :lol

Miburou

TTP said:

Sony will price the PS3 at $299, and MS will drop the Xbox 360's price to $299 ($250 for the core package).

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
A: We want to expand the Xbox experience to different audiences. By offering choice to consumers we allow consumers the flexibility to enter the immersive, high definition world of Xbox 360 gaming and build toward the complete Xbox 360 entertainment experience.

Uh.... What?

Amir0x said:
I think Sony has a very real limit that they're going to stick to in terms of how much they're willing to lose on every PS3 unit. 349.99 w/ Blu-Ray + 30GB HD? I mean, that's so cheap it's nuts. Can you imagine them doing that? I mean, that'd be basically the best thing ever... but I can't see that. However, I couldn't see this event either. So who knows!

Can I see it? No, but then again Sony never laid the false perception that the HD was going to be included at launch(yes I know it will be in the Premium system, but you know what I mean).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
f_elz said:
Methinks Sony will go after $299 anyway they can. Nintendo, $250.

They may very well go for a dual SKU strategy too (299 for the core system; 399 for what you really need). I just don't see Sony pricing PS3 lower than the Xbox 360 for the very reason that the avarage Joe would do the equation cheaper = less powerful.

Lo-Volt

GhaleonEB said:
Nice. So the $399 package is called "XBox 360", and the other is the "Core System". So when they are asked about whether both are backwards compatable, they could answer, "The XBox 360 is backwards compatable."

It's like they named the systems bundles specifically to cater to deceptive rhetoric. Damn. :lol

It's as if the Windows division were in control of this operation all along. No wonder I bought a Macintosh first chance I got.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
My two cents:
I don't mind $399 price point. That pack actually seems like a pretty good deal to me. That's the one I'll be getting.
Expensive peripherals make baby Jesus cry.
No HDD SKU is just mind boggling, especially in light of how hard they were pushing Live, downloadable content, etc. I know they want their $299 price point for PR reasons, but...wow. I am just speechless.

Bethesda must be loving MS right now!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Let's make some comparisons so that Dopey can damage control:

(Newegg prices)

1gb SD card = $49.99. 64mb xbox 360 memory card = $40.

60gb 2.5" SATA hard drive = $109. 20gb xbox 360 hard drive = $100.

USB wi-fi adapter = $12. xbox 360 wifi = $100.

Also:

wavebird = $35. xbox wireless controller = $50.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Q: Why are there two Xbox 360 editions?
A: The Xbox 360 will be available in two SKUs (Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Core System) to give consumers the flexibility to enter the immersive, high definition world of Xbox 360 gaming. The two editions give you and your customers the flexibility to enter the immersive, high definition world of Xbox 360 gaming and build toward the complete Xbox 360 entertainment experience.

CTRL-V-CTRL-V-CTRL-V-LALALAICAN'THEARYOU

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
GhaleonEB said:

Is it like? I am pretty damn sure they did it on purpose. The amount of carefully worded statements with double meanings from MS is astounding. There is actually not a single blunt, concise paragraph to be seen.

DrEvil

the 4-1-1 training is up, and question five is:

5. Which of these features will not be available with the Xbox 360 Core System out of the box?

The answer?
Backwards compatibilty of original Xbox games

-d

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Miburou said:
Sony will price the PS3 at $299, and MS will drop the Xbox 360's price to $299 ($250 for the core package).

Hmm... I duuno. I'm pessimistic on this one.

Amir0x

Banned
DarienA said:
Can I see it? No, but then again Sony never laid the false perception that the HD was going to be included at launch(yes I know it will be in the Premium system, but you know what I mean).

I can't wait til the end of next-gen when people falsely believe Sony is the one who suggested their systems would have HD at launch. Everyone will all be like "Yo, Sony a bunch of filthy liars! Remember the HD fiasco!?"

And then we'll have like 30 page debates, and I'll make another outline.

I will buy it if the games look good...price was not going to be an issue unless the cost was gonna be more then $500(console). I am one glad as i already have a wireless adapter which should work with the 360 (I HOPE). But if i'm wrong let me know?

IJoel

The question now is, will the Xbox 360 support an external USB hard disk? I sure as heck would buy a 200GB hard disk+Enclosure rather than spending $100 on a tiny 20GB one.

Top Bottom