• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

If I was Sony, I wouldn't say a damn thing about PS3 pricing right up until launch, further fueling potential X360 buyers' indecision. Almost no one would be buying X360 then.

Talk about the biggest boner move of this new century..... I wouldn't be surprised if Moore turned out to be a sleeper Sony agent.

MooreKill.jpg

Jeff-DSA

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........'\'...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\

MS will be seeing a lot of this if they don't back off on the peripheral pricing quickly...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
D2M15 said:
CTRL-V-CTRL-V-CTRL-V-LALALAICAN'THEARYOU

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

BTW I went to an outside gamer and asked her opinion(you know who) on the X360 annoucement... does it give a peek in to a non-gamers mind? Probably not, but it's an interesting (outside of GAF take) she's a slight gamer, but not nearly as much as us(and no I'm not still mad at her about the car).

I emailed her the link to the gamespot article and asked her opinion on it. She's familiar with the basic specs of the PS2 and Xbox because she's watched me play mine. Not sure why she threw the PSP comment in there.. but anyway...

Let me start by saying I've always thought that the price ($299) was too high for the original unit and I would always wait until the price dropped...which is why I was super surprised that the PSP was priced so affordably.

The core system doesn't seem to offer anything over and above what the traditional Xbox offers...as a matter of fact, I don't see anything about a hard drive available. The article does not mention that the core unit comes with any kind of hard drive (as the older version did). I would be kind of pissed off if I was used to having a hard drive on the system then they removed it and made it only available on the next model up. What's the incentive to buy the 360 over the traditional Xbox? Perhaps I just don't know enough and having been following the gaming technology. I used to know by the number of bits they were using, but now, I'm outta da loop.

I think the fully loaded package is cool or "nice to haves" but the price is totally ridiculous. I totally disagree with Mr. Pachter's comment "...only a complete idiot would buy the $299 model." If the core model ADDS something over the traditional Xbox, then I'm sure MS will have a core model market at that price...it just wouldn't be me. As for the features of the fully loaded package, I like the removable HD thing. Makes me think I can simply take my HD and stick it in somebody else's console and play my own stuff. If that's the case, I like that. Including all of those cables and stuff and trying to use that to bump up the price is insane. Hardcore gamers probably already have those cables laying around. Totally don't understand the remote control and why it adds value. Can't you (or shouldn't you be able to) control everything from a controller? Why the hell did they have to make a remote control?

Anyway, that's my $ 0.02.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
EviLore said:
Let's make some comparisons so that Dopey can damage control:

(Newegg prices)

1gb SD card = $49.99. 64mb xbox 360 memory card = $40.

60gb 2.5" SATA hard drive = $109. 20gb xbox 360 hard drive = $100.

USB wi-fi adapter = $12. xbox 360 wifi = $100.

Also:

wavebird = $35. xbox wireless controller = $50.

SD cards are standard. Xbox memory cards are not a standard. PS2 memory card is $25, $40 for a two pack... and the 360 memory card has 8 times the space. Not 8 times the price... ooh. how about that.

The 360 hard drive comes in a cradle and a retail box. Not OEM.

xbox wifi adapter isn't shit quality. Again... retail box. NOT OEM. has ad-hoc too!

wavebird is ass compared to the 360 controller. No dials... it has rumble... (battery life with rumble (lowest level) is comparable to wavebird without rumble... fancy THAT!) has a headset jack built in and can turn on/off the system... ooooooh

now by all means we can do this bullshit over and over and compare hundreds of other products that cost more simply because they're using a non-standard component... you're absolutely grasping for straws.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
:lol

I could have sworn that MS couldn't be this colossally stupid.

I was so wrong.

At least I admit it.

I don't have an Xbot jacket to turn in though, because I never was one. I go with who has the best shit IMO and the best price point. Sorry MS, you fucked up big time.

Propagandhim said:
I really, really, really , hope Sony isn't going to pull this HD-Version PS3 and SUPER-SAVER HD-less version PS3 crap. One model please.

yes, I hope they don't get any ideas from ms.

But damn MS own3d Square big time, I am sure Wada is crying in his office right now.

Reilly

Propagandhim said:
I really, really, really , hope Sony isn't going to pull this HD-Version PS3 and SUPER-SAVER HD-less version PS3 crap. One model please.

Sony want's to push their Blu-Ray format. I'm pretty confident every PS3 will include it. :)

MS mad it quite easy for Sony. The PS3 could cost 450$ and it wouldn't seem THAT expensive(altough I really think this whole "PS3 will be SOOOOO expensive" talk from Kutarage and Co. are just a bluff and they will price it at 400$ or even less). Nintendo could really have a chance with a hardware price of about 250$(and that would be 50$ more than the launch price of the Cube).

Pimpwerx

Shogmaster said:
If I was Sony, I wouldn't say a damn thing about PS3 pricing right up until launch, further fueling potential X360 buyers' indecision. Almost no one would be buying X360 then.

Talk about the biggest boner move of this new century..... I wouldn't be surprised if Moore turned out to be a sleeper Sony agent.

MooreKill.jpg
LOL @ pic. :lol

Peter Moore has been secretly working for Sony for some time now. He was sent in to sabotage the DC, and now he's successfully flattened one of the 360's tires. Kiss of fucking death.

I agree on the PS3 price thing. I don't see them announcing a price until Feb. The only way they announce it before then is if they are coming in at the same or lower price. I mean, if they have a competitive scheme, they might as welll spring the trap at TGS or in November to try and trip MS up. But I seriously doubt that'll be the case, and see them coming in at a scary $350/$450 pricepoint, and announcing that next Feb. Gaming is going away from me. Zelda's delay hurts even more now. :( I'm starting to look forward to the Revolution now. I can't believe I slagged it so bad up to this point, but Nintendo might actually be the answer to the crazy inflation. PEACE.

TigerKnee

Dr_Cogent said:

I could have sworn that MS couldn't be this colossally stupid.

I was so wrong.

At least I admit it.

I don't have an Xbot jacket to turn in though, because I never was one. I go with who has the best shit IMO and the best price point. Sorry MS, you fucked up big time.

LOL! :lol: You're right! LOL!

M$ is TEH STUPID!!!!

LOLZZZ

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DopeyFish said:
SD cards are standard. Xbox memory cards are not a standard. PS2 memory card is $25, $40 for a two pack... and the 360 memory card has 8 times the space. Not 8 times the price... ooh. how about that.
Why are you comparing the cost of something THIS generation, with the cost of something next generation... shouldn't you be comparing the cost of the Xbucks memory cards to the memory stick pro which is the memory card for the PS3?

xbox wifi adapter isn't shit quality. Again... retail box. NOT OEM. has ad-hoc too!
Sweet a Retail Box... so you get pretty pictures on the box and a color manual!

BTW don't most wifi adapters/routers do ad hoc?

teiresias

DopeyFish said:

I can guarantee you that the memory chips in the X360 memory cards are as standard as they come. You're being overcharged for plastic like in all proprietary console memory cards. But why are you comparing the X360 memory cards to PS2 memory cards? We already know the PS3 will use MemorySticks for games saves, and the prices for MemorySticks are already lower than the price for the X360 Memory card. That's the proper comparison to make (and it's been made earlier, but seeing as how that doesn't support your position I can understand you ignoring it).

DopeyFish said:

Again, you're being charged for plastic. If it really is a standard 2.5" SATA HDD in the cradle though you'd think MS could make the cradle openable for use with any standard HDD of that variety, if it isn't a standard drive than that's just MS's stupidity, as that will just drive up the cost they're paying for the drive.

DopeyFish said:

So how often have you tested the X360 wi-fi connector to make these statments?

I'll make no comments on the Wavebird as I've never used one.

Zaptruder

Banned
Propagandhim said:

If you mean High Def, then no chance of splitting up the install base. If you mean hard disk, then I hope they do... otherwise we aren't see a HD in a PS3 at all... unless we go out and buy them ourselves :p

More to the point, I hope they release a HD package that fleshes out all the home theatre hub aspects of the PS3, including a large HD, remote control, HDTV tuner, etc.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
DarienA said:
Why are you comparing the cost of something THIS generation, with the cost of something next generation... shouldn't you be comparing the cost of the Xbucks memory cards to the memory stick pro which is the memory card for the PS3?

what do you mean? That's what everyone and there mom is doing to put 360 in a bad light! why can't i do the same to put it in a good light? hmm?

Sweet a Retail Box... so you get pretty pictures on the box and a color manual!

Well of course. hard drives in retail boxes are more expensive which is why people often opt for OEM. You get an anti-static bag and no questions asked. OEM for something like consoles isn't really... possible.

BTW don't most wifi adapters/routers do ad hoc?

as far as i know... other way around. Some have but not most =/

AniHawk

I'm still in a bit of a state of denial (AND ANGER). Coming off a Zelda delay, this news was extremely bad timing.

Find a post from a few months back, and I said that the 360 had a good chance of dethroning the PS brand.

That was before E3, before PD0. I had faith. I was a believer. All gone now. Starting from scratch again.

I'm sure I'll pick the system up... maybe in 2007 or 2008 if it's down to $200 or so (or maybe when KOTOR III is out..? Maybe).

As for Sony... I think it's time to put the hurt on MS. They'll be in a sea of red, but it could put MS in its place for the remainder of the generation. $299.99 for a PS3 sounds like absolute lunacy (as did a $200 PSP), but it isn't impossible, and it would guarantee to have the Dreamcast Effect on the 360, I'd imagine.

But I'm guessing it'll be $399.99. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
what do you mean? That's what everyone and there mom is doing to put 360 in a bad light! why can't i do the same to put it in a good light? hmm?
Are you joking? You're trying to put the 360 in a good light by making an inaccurate comparison? :p

Even if you did make that comparison, consider the difference in save game size. The chances of most X360 game saves being 8 times the size of your average PS2 game file is high.

Still, you should really be comparing it to the memory stick pro duo. That is the current PSP memory card and will be used for PS3 as well.

Dr_Cogent said:
*MS rubs hands with glee*

They're falling for it! :lol
I think MS would prefer consumers to go for the core system and end up spending MORE on required accessories down the line. "Oh, I need a memcard and HD pack? That's $80. How about adding the HDD down the line? That'll be $100.".

Pimpwerx

AniHawk said:
I'm still in a bit of a state of denial (AND ANGER). Coming off a Zelda delay, this news was extremely bad timing.

They timed it well. No one's gonna care about that Zelda delay or the retarded GBA Micro prices for the next few weeks. Hell, TGS is just around the corner, so this bad news will get buried under all the console backlash. PEACE.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I sure wouldn't want to be a Gamestop employee or EB employee that has to deal with these customers who pre-ordered but don't follow the news closely. That's going to be one crappy situation they are in.

DopeyFish said:

360 deserves to be in bad light. No need to spin everything. I swear you would spin the holacaust in a good light if it was sponsored by M$.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
SD cards are standard. Xbox memory cards are not a standard. PS2 memory card is $25, $40 for a two pack...

and the 360 memory card has 8 times the space. Not 8 times the price... ooh. how about that.

Notice that the 8mb PS2 memory cards weren't a bad deal *five years ago*, and that the PS3 isn't using a BS ps3-proprietary flash storage format.

The 360 hard drive comes in a cradle and a retail box. Not OEM

You're right, the xbox 360 hard drive is an incredible value! (40gb for $75, 60gb for $110, even considering oem vs retail the numbers are obvious)

xbox wifi adapter isn't shit quality. Again... retail box. NOT OEM. has ad-hoc too

D-link for $20. Wi-fi built into the PS3. And any 802.11 b/g adapters (afaik...and regular off the shelf ones definitely) can connect via ad-hoc if the software/os allow.

wavebird is ass compared to the 360 controller. No dials... it has rumble... (battery life with rumble (lowest level) is comparable to wavebird without rumble... fancy THAT

Sounds great. I'll go ahead and stick the $82 pole in my ass for that wireless controller + charger cable + battery, then.

AniHawk

DopeyFish said:
what do you mean? That's what everyone and there mom is doing to put 360 in a bad light!

The only ones putting it in a bad light is MS. Everyone else is calling them on how bad it is.

Or what Kabuki just said.

people need to settle down. lets see 299 for a bare bones. 399 for a wireless controller ($20 more than the wired), remote ($30), HD video cables($35), and a HDD( $99). seems like a pretty good trade off for me. also you knew it was coming. they already anounced software hikes, and look at the price of the psp. on ign they said it comes with another faceplate as well. might be a sweet pic of a consumer bent over cheeks spread with the "ring of light" in the appropriate place :lol
cant forget the sweet ethernet cable

dark10x

Poor dopey...

Honestly, it's just kinda fun to watch the madness, but honestly, the prices are all where I expected them to be. I was right about the two SKUs and the price of the accessories seems about what I expected as well.

I don't think MS deserves ANY praise for their pricing structure, though...

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
truffleshuffle83 said:
people need to settle down. lets see 299 for a bare bones. 399 for a wireless controller ($20 more than the wired), remote ($30), HD video cables($35), and a HDD( $99). seems like a pretty good trade off for me. also you knew it was coming. they already anounced software hikes, and look at the price of the psp. on ign they said it comes with another faceplate as well. might be a sweet pic of a consumer bent over cheeks spread with the "ring of light" in the appropriate place :lol

Isn't the issue here as much about a fractured userbase as it is about high prices? The price I can handle. Having publishers not support HDD functions because half the user base doesn't have one is a much, much bigger problem. I am still dumbfounded by this decision.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
dark10x said:
Poor dopey...

Honestly, it's just kinda fun to watch the madness, but honestly, the prices are all where I expected them to be. I was right about the two SKUs and the price of the accessories seems about what I expected as well.

I don't think MS deserves ANY praise for their pricing structure, though...

The pricing structure is just built around trying to convince everyone that the $400 bundle is a "good deal".

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
jetjevons said:
Isn't the issue here as much about a fractured userbase as it is about high prices? The price I can handle. Having publishers not support HDD functions because half the user base doesn't have one is a much, much bigger problem. I am still dumbfounded by this decision.

hows the darkness coming along? :)

KingJ2002

Dr_Cogent said:
*MS rubs hands with glee*

They're falling for it! :lol

a hard drive @ 99$... the premium package is a steal!

signed,

acceptance.gif

i know im being gipped... but i gotta have ridge racer 6 online.

*puts on blindfold*

show me the way microsoft... show me the way.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
KingJ2002 said:

signed,

acceptance.gif

*puts on blindfold*

If I ever get a 360, it will be after the price has dropped significantly.

I'm going to be a Wario now. Call me Mr. Cheap Ass Gamer.

dark10x

Dr_Cogent said:

If I ever get a 360, it will be after the price has dropped significantly.

I'm going to be a Wario now. Call me Mr. Cheap Ass Gamer.
Good, now you can spend very little money and try the upgraded MGS3 this fall instead. :)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
dark10x said:
Good, now you can spend very little money and try the upgraded MGS3 this fall instead. :)

Maybe. Maybe

And all this time I thought I wouldn't have the time to put some quality time into GTA:SA

Boy was I wrong.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
KingJ2002 said:

signed,

acceptance.gif

*puts on blindfold*

Best post on here :)

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
op_ivy said:
hows the darkness coming along? :)

It's honestly looking freaking awesome. I mean you guys are just going to straight out shit your pants when you see it in motion. Sbz are bringing their A game to the 360. After you spend some time with The Darkness abilities you are going to miss them in every other FPS. They just transform the way you view an environment or combat situation. I wish I was allowed to post some screens or movies but it's more than my job's worth.

Top Bottom