• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
jetjevons said:
It's honestly looking freaking awesome. I mean you guys are just going to straight out shit your pants when you see it in motion. Sbz are bringing their A game to the 360. After you spend some time with The Darkness abilities you are going to miss them in every other FPS. They just transform the way you view an environment or combat situation. I wish I was allowed to post some screens or movies but it's more than my job's worth.

awesome. any idea when we'll get to see it? X05?

jetjevons said:
It's honestly looking freaking awesome. I mean you guys are just going to straight out shit your pants when you see it in motion. Sbz are bringing their A game to the 360. After you spend some time with The Darkness abilities you are going to miss them in every other FPS. They just transform the way you view an environment or combat situation. I wish I was allowed to post some screens or movies but it's more than my job's worth.

Any comic talent directly involved with The Darkness?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
A 210 quid 360 + cheap third party memory card + RR6 = gaming heaven and at a bargain price. You can't argue with that and MS know it.

Roll on the 360 :)

Geek

Ninny Prancer
jetjevons said:
It's honestly looking freaking awesome. I mean you guys are just going to straight out shit your pants when you see it in motion. Sbz are bringing their A game to the 360.

No no no. Sell it short.

If the entire population of GAF doesn't actually defecate on themselves during gameplay they'll call you out on this post.

$400 for this! No thanks, you just made the wait for PS3 a whole lot easier MS.

wallguy-screen.jpg

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Dr_Cogent said:
The pricing structure is just built around trying to convince everyone that the $400 bundle is a "good deal".

what it ends up doing though, at least for me, is convince me that neither skus are a good deal. $399 is just way too high for a console.. and if i get the $299 version and decide to upgrade the components at a later date, im going to be completely ass raped by the price.. either way, i feel like i lose.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
what it ends up doing though, at least for me, is convince me that neither skus are a good deal. $399 is just way too high for a console.. and if i get the $299 version and decide to upgrade the components at a later date, im going to be completely ass raped by the price.. either way, i feel like i lose.

Same here. I agree 100%

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
op_ivy said:
awesome. any idea when we'll get to see it? X05?

Maybe. That's up to Majesco's marketing department. I'm on the production side of things.

You know, everyone's freaking out about 360 cost and everything, but when you see Gears of War or Darkness running widescreen at 1080i it's going to be tough for gamers to resist. I'm not saying every 360 game is going to look truly next-gen, but the ones that do are going to pop some eyes.

I know I'm going to get the $399 pack, and I'm actually really looking forward to that "new system" moment of getting it home, setting it up, and booting up my first 360 game. It's going to be in super hi-def and I'm going to play it on my wireless pad. W00t!

op_ivy

jetjevons said:
Maybe. That's up to Majesco's marketing department. I'm on the production side of things.

You know, everyone's freaking out about 360 cost and everything, but when you see Gears of War or Darkness running widescreen at 1080i it's going to be tough for gamers to resist. I'm not saying every 360 game is going to look truly next-gen, but the ones that do are going to pop some eyes.

I know I'm going to get the $399 pack, and I'm actually really looking forward to that "new system" moment of getting it home, setting it up, and booting up my first 360 game. It's going to be in super hi-def and I'm going to play it on my wireless pad. W00t!

agreed. i'm kinda pissed in that i really feel MS has bungled the pr handling of this whole thing. i feel mislead into believeing that the 360 would come w/ the hdd as the base. no splitting the market for it at all.

with that said, at 399, its not bad. realistically, it was bound to happen, consoles cant keep launching at 300, just cause that was the "magic price point" 10-15 years ago

hyp

op_ivy said:
agreed. i'm kinda pissed in that i really feel MS has bungled the pr handling of this whole thing. i feel mislead into believeing that the 360 would come w/ the hdd as the base. no splitting the market for it at all.

with that said, at 399, its not bad. realistically, it was bound to happen, consoles cant keep launching at 300, just cause that was the "magic price point" 10-15 years ago

it's like gas prices... can't stop them from rising. we're in a fucking inflation period people. get used to it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
krypt0nian said:
Any comic talent directly involved with The Darkness?

Paul Jenkins is doing story and dialog. The game is "loosely" based on his run (the second volume where Jackie comes back to life) but there's a lot of changes.

jetjevons said:
Paul Jenkins is doing story and dialog. The game is "loosely" based on his run (the second volume where Jackie comes back to life) but there's a lot of changes.

Good to hear. Man Paul's been busy with this and the new Hulk game.

Bebpo

Banned
Personally it's not the $399 price that is hurting. But rather, you'll have to buy a 2nd wireless controller to match the one you already own if you have any friends so that's really $450+tax for a launch system. Then if you want to play online wirelessly, you're talking about $600 before you even buy one game. Figure you're buying 2-3 games at launch @$60 each and the launch will run you almost

$800

For a new system and 3 games. That's a lot. I put away about $500-600 for the launch and a couple of games and now that'll just barely get me the system with some accesories.

Also you gotta realize all those kids who were expecting a system for Xmas will be getting rocks instead as their parents hear from the salespeople that not only do they need to buy a $299 system, but they also need a $40 memory card to save games and a $40 2nd controller if they have two kids in the house.

So in the end I think the system prices are fine, but neither bundle comes with everything you'd really want for a full-functioning system and since accesories prices are insane everyone gets screwed. Cut all the accesory prices by 50% and you'd have a pretty great launch, but at the current levels it's >_<

Izzy

Banned
jetjevons said:

Oh, it's Dan Jevons. I'm looking forward to your game - you'd better not let me down. ;)

Joe

the $400 360 sku is the equivalent to the sony $250 psp sku (launched with base sku in japan).

there's a couple things that make it shocking. first, we were spoiled by ms's inclusion of the hard drive at seemingly no extra cost in xbox1. second, we all swore to death's end that the wireless controller would be standard in all systems and maybe that's our fault in thinking that.

the $400 sku really isnt that BAD of a deal. the only thing that sucks is that since you're pretty much forced to buy the $400 pack that leaves me with only one game at launch. because there's no way im going over $500 :)

PhatSaqs

Banned
Joe said:
the $400 sku really isnt that BAD of a deal. the only thing that sucks is that since you're pretty much forced to buy the $400 pack that leaves me with only one game at launch. because there's no way im going over $500 :)
My thoughts exactly. What would and could have been a sure 3-4 games at launch now looks like 1-2 games at launch.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Izzy said:
Oh, it's Dan Jevons. I'm looking forward to your game - you'd better not let me down. ;)

Have I ever? j/k Starbreeze are putting their hearts into this game. I'm pretty confident about it. If you even barely liked Riddick you are going to flip out for Darkness.

yeah splitting the market at launch was pretty crazy. i think the HDD should at least be standard. then MS is gonn split the split market again when they launch the HD-DVD addon??? someone wasnt thinking at that company. oh well launch day for me is the $399 unit, GR:AW, COD2, PGR3 and an empty checking account

mrklaw

MrArseFace
do you guys in the US seriously only get an Svideo cable in the core pack? The UK site shows and describes the component/composite cable + SCART for both packs.

Doesn't make sense for the HDTV heavy (ish) US to not get HD, but the HD lite UK to get it in the base pack?

border

What the hell happened with the WiFi Adapter? When Microsoft announced no Wifi Out-of-the-box at E3, everybody spun it by saying that they would have a low-cost USB Wifi adapter. Now it's $100? Why is this? Are they using a wireless bridge AGAIN? Why would they when they've got the ports to support a much cheaper alternative?

Dopeyfish said:
I work minimum wage and pay rent. So screw you. Gaming is my livelyhood.
So let's see......at usual minimum wage ($5.50/hour) you will have to work 72 hours just to get the system with the hard drive and NO GAME. That's nearly two weeks at a job...nearly half a month's salary.

They can call you a retarded fanboy, but don't let 'em say you aren't hardcore. :lol Unfortunately after blowing that much income you will have to live in a cardboard box next to Starbucks and leech their free WiFi to get on Live (+$100 for WiFi adapter).

op_ivy

truffleshuffle83 said:
yeah splitting the market at launch was pretty crazy. i think the HDD should at least be standard. then MS is gonn split the split market again when they launch the HD-DVD addon??? someone wasnt thinking at that company. oh well launch day for me is the $399 unit, GR:AW, COD2, PGR3 and an empty checking account

me exactly, even down to the game choices... i'm also planning on getting a hdtv for launch though

<--- broke-ass come november

Spike

Joe said:
second, we all swore to death's end that the wireless controller would be standard in all systems and maybe that's our fault in thinking that.

Why did they consistently show the wireless controller every single time, then?

Pimpbaa

Spike said:
I'll pass.

$299 without the HDD? Why? The Xbox1 was $299 and it came with a HDD. Bullshit.

And they lost money on the xbox (and still is). They want to make money on the 360 eventually.

IJoel

So, another question, since I don't think making another Xbox 360 topic is wise: Will Xbox 360 support streaming of VIDEO out of the box for pcs with XP?

op_ivy

Dr_Cogent said:
That may backfire if their adoption this gen is low.

you really think its going to be? i dont think this will change much of anything. the 360 is still set to do quite a bit better then the xbox IMO.

Flo_Evans

omg fuck this!

I am so glad I went ahead and orderd a new PC for FFXI (and BF2!). Good god.

edit: and oh yeah, to anyone that even remotely thinks FFXI could be run off a 65mb memory card :lol :lol :lol

Spike

Pimpbaa said:
And they lost money on the xbox (and still is). They want to make money on the 360 eventually.

I don't give a flying fuck if they want to make money. I, as a consumer, want the most bang for my buck possible. I'm not saying that the $399 bundle is bad, I'm saying that the $299 bundle is.

What they should've done:

$299 Bundle - add in the HDD
$399 Bundle - add in 2 wireless controllers

Some of the features they showed off from Live are not available to the first bundle. How the hell am I to download demos/extras for games if I don't have the HDD?

I don't care for online play.
I can't afford an HDTV.
I don't sit far enough away from my tv set that I'd need a wireless controller.

Therefore, the $399 bundle is useless to me.

Pimpbaa

Spike said:
I don't give a flying fuck if they want to make money. I, as a consumer, want the most bang for my buck possible. I'm not saying that the $399 bundle is bad, I'm saying that the $299 bundle is.

What they should've done:

$299 Bundle - add in the HDD
$399 Bundle - add in 2 wireless controllers

Some of the features they showed off from Live are not available to the first bundle. How the hell am I to download demos/extras for games if I don't have the HDD?

I can't afford an HDTV.

How is the 299 bundle any worse from the release of the ps2? It didn't let you do all that stuff. Why are gamers all of a sudden demanding premium features? OMG MS is not selling the 360 with 8 wireless controllers and a 120 gig harddrive for 99 bucks OMFG what a ripoff!

shuri

Banned
Spike said:
I can't afford an HDTV.

then, buy the 299 bundle + hd :|

JMPovoa

Where did all these bitches come out from? Jeez!

This seems like a very reasonable pricing, all things considered. This has all to do with what the consumer needs, and different consumers have different needs.

You think that the casuals won't find the the $299 price alot more interesting? Most people just don't care that much about online gaming (even considering the good growth in numbers of online gamers across both the Xbox Live and PS2 online services). They certainly don't care if the controller is wireless or not, as long as it works. Hell, i've even read many people in this same forum complaining about Wireless controller being a standard! (possible lack of response, constant recharge, etc.). And it's not as if people aren't used to buying memory cards to save games or for whatever other purposes it may have. Afterall, Microsoft isn't only after the so called "Xbots". They're looking after that other piece of the market that is still untapped. The hardrive would be a great plus for the value pack, but remember that everyone in this market is in it for the money above all else. (you may argue this...). And besides, we really don't know how much important it is for gaming, especially since it has a lot more RAM than Xbox ever did (better loading times are assured). Let's not forget that a 64Mb memory card is a lot of memory and that multimedia content can be streamed through your PC while gaming (i'm saying this by heart, but i think it's right??). Oh and more importantly, why would one want an HD cable all things above considered? Whoever wants an HD cable is certain to want a wireless controller, an HDD, and whatever else that comes with the most expensive pack.

Quit it! :)

Spike

Pimpbaa said:
How is the 299 bundle any worse from the release of the ps2? It didn't let you do all that stuff. Why are gamers all of a sudden demanding premium features? OMG MS is not selling the 360 with 8 wireless controllers and a 120 gig harddrive for 99 bucks OMFG what a ripoff!

Please.

All I want is a HDD in the base unit. It's what they gave us in the Xbox 1, and it should have been given to us in the base unit of the Xbox 360.

Stop bringing the PS2 into the equation. I'm referring to the Xbox line only.

Any Xbox fan who says this is a great idea is a tool. Plain and simple.

Flo_Evans

Pimpbaa said:

It's not. But MS is not Sony... IMHO the only reason that the xbox was as mildly successful as it was, was the fact that you got better graphics+better online+HDD out of the box for an awsome price. They where able to create a respectable userbase because they bleed out the ass for it. Of course MS still could be the better value next gen, we don't know about sonys plans yet. I just don't see MS winning more customers by offering less.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
sportzhead said:

wallguy-screen.jpg

QFT

Microsoft can take their $399, wallguy, velocity girl and shove it up their ass.

m0dus

Banned
sportzhead said:

wallguy-screen.jpg

especially if you never intended on buying one in the first place, bud.

seriously, keep telling yourself the game will look like that. :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Pimpbaa said:

Wait are you saying that the HDD of the original Xbox is what caused it to be a continued loss? Has this been discussed before?(I'm sure it has), I don't get that considering HDD's are so cheap these days....

Shompola

Banned
People are dissapointed simple because of how MS let us believe that the standard(cheapest) SKU would come with a wireless controller and a HDD. Most of us then understood a few weeks back that that would not be entirely true and HDD would probably be removed... but who really thought they would replace the wireless controller with one with wires? Not me for sure.

Axl

I just got the weekly ebgames.com newsletter. It has this little blurb:

"In other news, look for Xbox 360 bundle pre-order information in next week’s newsletter!"

Can't wait to see the bundles on this one... though I'm sure that’s where I'll be placing my preorder =(

Top Bottom