• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

m0dus

Banned
wonderfuldays said:
2.5" hdd is NOT THAT expensive then 3.5" hdd.

Try here

and here

And here

And these are the El-Cheapo 4200 RPM drives, not likely the kind in the 360 (which probably uses a 5400 or, hell, maybe even a 7200 RPM?)

4200 would be pretty damn slow, and not at all ideal for gaming, IMO. Personally, I hope for 7200...but it'll prolly be 5400. who knows.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Stinkles said:
Hey guys

How much is a an equivalently powerful PC?

Hey Stinkles,

We don't fucking care.

This isn't a PC. PC's are generic tools used for much more than games.

And there is no such PC that could be configured to be equivalently powerful anyway.

tuco11

Has there been an official announcement on game prices? I thought I read today that MS first party games will still be $49.99.

thanks.

_Angelus_

Banned
Well reality has set in for me. I just unloaded my PSP and a 512 MB Pro Duo at Softwae Etc. I got 207 store credit for it. Its just as well I suppose. I was using my PSP as mainly an MP3 player nowdays so in the end 170 dollars for it was enough to unload it. Microsoft still needs to be kicked in the ass for missleading people,but I'm a sucker for new consoles and I really did enjoy the Xbox this generation-so in the end I'm on board. Lets go November baby. I'm grabbing the 400 dollar package.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dr_Cogent said:
Hey Stinkles,

We don't fucking care.

This isn't a PC. PC's are generic tools used for much more than games.

And there is no such PC that could be configured to be equivalently powerful anyway.

If you don't care, why are you frothing (25 negative posts on this thread alone) on a forum? I don't know why people are acting so SHOCKED since last week everyone on this forum was predicting this exact thing

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Stinkles said:
If you don't care, why are you frothing (25 negative posts on this thread alone) on a forum? I don't know why people are acting so SHOCKED since last week everyone on this forum was predicting this exact thing

Please, explain how what a comparitavely equivalent PC costs has any bearing on any of this.

When, all along ever since the first console, PC's cost far more. How does this support any argument you could possibly have?

_Angelus_

Banned
Jesus-24 pages of chaos in what 8-10 hours?

Incredible.

Its too bad we don't have two consoles launching near one another for the holidays like the Xbox and GameCube did years back. We would probably be paying less for the X360. Nintendo will probably sell around at the $200 point again,the premium X360 probably wouldn't be going for $400.

rastex

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Please, explain how what a comparitavely equivalent PC costs has any bearing on any of this.

When, all along ever since the first console, PC's cost far more. How does this support any argument you could possibly have?

Because this is a marketplace where companies are vying for consumer dollars. So if you want an equivalent gaming experience you're going to have to put your dollars SOMEWHERE and thus must examine the alternatives. Since the PS3 doesn't exist right now, the only other option is a PC, and thus you must look at the price of the PC to get the similar gaming experience. Of course as a consumer you could just choose to forgo the experience entirely, but then you'd probably shut up about it...

Dr_Cogent

Banned
rastex said:
Because this is a marketplace where companies are vying for consumer dollars. So if you want an equivalent gaming experience you're going to have to put your dollars SOMEWHERE and thus must examine the alternatives. Since the PS3 doesn't exist right now, the only other option is a PC, and thus you must look at the price of the PC to get the similar gaming experience. Of course as a consumer you could just choose to forgo the experience entirely, but then you'd probably shut up about it...

Hmmm, lemme see here. Uh, how many games that are coming out on Xbox 360 are coming to PC?

How many games that are coming to PS3 are coming to PC?

Yeah........

lumberg_gotit.jpg

Equivalent?

:lol

There is no PC solution, sorry.

PC gaming is a completely different ball of wax. I should know. I've been gaming since the XT days and the Commodore 64 on both of those and pretty much every significant PC tech to be released since then.

Stinkles said:
Hey guys

How much is a an equivalently powerful PC?
Not everyone is upset about the price (although I can't see how anyone doesn't think the accessory prices are a bit high).

The core version not having a HDD (and to a lesser extent not having a wirelss controller) are what's upsetting to me...actually the fact that there are two SKUs in the first place.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
rusty said:
Not everyone is upset about the price (although I can't see how anyone doesn't think the accessory prices are a bit high).

The core version not having a HDD (and to a lesser extent not having a wirelss controller) are what's upsetting to me...actually the fact that there are two SKUs in the first place.

Yeah, had they released it with only one version making the HD a standard component, I wouldn't be half as PO'ed.

But I still wouldn't be thrilled about the higher price tag.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dr_Cogent said:

Because it is a thing that costs money that you buy to play games. Yes, it does other stuff, but according to your breakdown, the other stuff it does is worth around $1000.

The point being, you get a lot for $400. The 3DO debuted at $700 about ten years ago.

DopeyFish said:
several people have already called you out on your BS before, dude.

Stop spouting this inane horseshit.

Really, I don't remember seeing anything as such. I never stated this as fact, but that if MS would want out of console hardware, they have a software contingency plan ready.

Either that or you must be really going overboard today in your defense of this news.

Would it make you feel better if I said Nintendo is going third-party??

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Stinkles said:
Because it is a thing that costs money that you buy to play games. Yes, it does other stuff, but according to your breakdown, the other stuff it does is worth around $1000.

The point being, you get a lot for $400. The 3DO debuted at $700 about ten years ago.

A PC to play games you can't play on the Xbox 360 and PS3 right?

You can do quite a few things with the PC.

Surf the web.
Write code and build executables and dlls.
Edit images.

The list goes on and on. Not sure where you got the 1000 figure from. PC's have a wide range of prices. The most uber of gaming machines can't touch the 360 because of it's video solution in it. Not even dual SLI can.

So, like I said, I can't agree with the PC analogy at all.

Also, you probably get a lot, gaming wise, if it cost 600 bucks. But do we care? Not really.

Hey, it's all about what we are willing to spend. You are willing to spend it, I am not. I will just have to wait and see what my options are down the road.

The thing that has me riled it the obvious deception since day one. They should have been more honest, but obviously they weren't.

1) 85% will have the hdd.

2) It's still being readily supported by devs for caching purposes.

3) Even today casuals use the Xbox just for games and the 360 will be no different. If casual players aren't going on Live and dowlnloading rich media they don't need an hdd do they. Now MS doesn't force them to pay for something that they'll never use, as a consumer that would make me happy. What wouldn't make me happy wanting the hdd later on and paying $100 for it.

LINK

Arcticfox

m0dus said:
Try here

and here

And here

And these are the El-Cheapo 4200 RPM drives, not likely the kind in the 360 (which probably uses a 5400 or, hell, maybe even a 7200 RPM?)

4200 would be pretty damn slow, and not at all ideal for gaming, IMO. Personally, I hope for 7200...but it'll prolly be 5400. who knows.
The X360 is going to use Seagate LD25 series hard drives, which have 2MB cache and run at 5400rpm. It is definitely not built for speed.

Buying the Xobx 360 at the 299.99 still means you pay $400 because of the need of a game and a memory card. Add in buying another controller and the wireless router an a HDD and your sitting at somewhere around $500-600. The Xbox360 priced at $4oo could end up costing $600-700 once you add in extra controllers, warranties, games, and premium live.

Somewhere Ken is laughing his head off. I love it how everybody says that the Ps3 wont cost anything less then $400. We all thought the same thing about the Psp and were proven wrong.

Hell even Yamuchi and Iwata are laughing.

Isnt a $200 revolution console sounding really nice now?

m0dus

Banned
Arcticfox said:
The X360 is going to use Seagate LD25 series hard drives, which have 2MB cache and run at 5400rpm. It is definitely not built for speed.

but falls within the $65-70+ price range. $99 is not much of a stretch, considering they want to make a profit on peripherals.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Pseudo judo said:
1) 85% will have the hdd.

3) Even today casuals use the Xbox just for games and the 360 will be no different. If casual players aren't going on Live and dowlnloading rich media they don't need an hdd do they. Now MS doesn't force them to pay for something that they'll never use, as a consumer that would make me happy. What wouldn't make me happy wanting the hdd later on and paying $100 for it.

LINK

Wow, awesome damage control, where on earth did he get the 85% figure?
Geeze, with 85%, why even have a 299.99 package?

m0dus said:
but falls within the $65-70+ price range. $99 is not much of a stretch, considering they want to make a profit on peripherals.

So, the 65-70$ HDD's are sold at cost?

ChronoMagnus said:
Buying the Xobx 360 at the 299.99 still means you pay $400 because of the need of a game and a memory card. Add in buying another controller and the wireless router an a HDD and your sitting at somewhere around $500-600. The Xbox360 priced at $4oo could end up costing $600-700 once you add in extra controllers, warranties, games, and premium live.

Somewhere Ken is laughing his head off. I love it how everybody says that the Ps3 wont cost anything less then $400. We all thought the same thing about the Psp and were proven wrong.

Hell even Yamuchi and Iwata are laughing.

Isnt a $200 revolution console sounding really nice now?
Anyone not expecting to pay $600 or more on a console - that's not Nintendo's - on launch day has never purchased a console at launch day and as usual should wait for a price drop.

You'll find many people interested in either PS3 or 360 have no interest/faith in Nintendo.

Meier

Well, there's no way I'd buy the vanilla version and $400 is too much for a console.. so I'll be saving a lot of money this Christmas it seems with Zelda delayed too. :(

Docpan

Yuck. They should've just said "It's 400 bucks" and let that be that.

Let's look at it like this: Xbox 360 core system is not the Xbox 360 that has been hyped for months on end. It's a stripped down waste of 300.

What was one of the biggest things they hyped? Wireless. Now they give us just a wired controller and that's it in the base version? That's a HUGE wtf. And an additional smack in the face is the fact that a wireless controller costs FIFTY bucks. Yes, FIFTY.

Second, the HDD. Without it, you can't take advantage of all these "hip, cool" Xbox Live features they've been shoving down our throats. They've been hyping Live more than the games themselves, and now they're going to alienate users who buy the core version? I'm confused. Not to mention developers who have been building their games based upon the fact that the 360 would come with a hdd are now screwed (looks at Oblivion. Those poor devs are in a world of **** now).

The facts: Base 360 is not what we've been promised. Can't take advantage of live, can't store your music/movies, no wireless!!! (remember those interviews with Allard, where he said one of their primary goals was to remove the constraints that wired controllers have in the next gen? lies.)

This is just a dumb, dumb idea. If they said "It's 400 bucks, deal with it." i'd have been pissed, but would have sucked it up and dealt with it. But now they've gone and split their userbase. And because of that devs must cater to the lowest common denominator. Meaning, those of you who pay 400 are going to end up getting screwed now because developers won't be taking advantage of the HDD.

Ugh. Xbox 360 - a trainwreck before it even leaves the station.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Pseudo judo said:

If this is true I might lay off my ragehol. I'll wait for some devs to confirm / deny this though.

_Angelus_

Banned
Yeah it is quite sneaky with the fact that backward compatability only works if you have the hard drive,bastards. I guess we'll see how much stock the public puts into it now that it costs extra.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Pseudo judo said:
On a day filled with rich examples of idiocy, this takes the cake.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Angelus said:
Yeah it is quite sneaky with the fact that backward compatability only works if you have the hard drive,bastards. I guess we'll see how much stock the public puts into it now that it costs extra.

Microsoft, Sneaky? You don't say!

Nerevar said:
If this is true I might lay off my ragehol. I'll wait for some devs to confirm / deny this though.
"From seems to be making use of the Xbox 360 hard disk for caching purposes in order to provide, as Takeuchi states, a stress-free, seamless experience (in eNCHANT arM). While it's not the case that there won't ever be a "Now Loading" screen in the game, such a screen will be very rare. This, according to Takeuchi, will be true of pretty much all Xbox 360 games, as it's something that Microsoft is taking seriously.
LINK

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
For the record, I don't have a problem with 2 SKUs....I don't have a problem with the base system being $299(a fair price) or $399 for the other one (its a great deal)

What I have a problem with is:

No HDD in all Xbux Three $ixties, fragmenting the user base

Accessories in general (the most expensive ever, I think)

No easy way to soften the pricing blow somewhat by purchacing a standard 2.5inch SATA HDD and using it instead of the $100( :lol ) 20GB version

Making wifi an accessory when every other next gen product has it standard (including the portables)

Charging a C note for the wifi functionality that *should* have been standard

Again the console packedges are a fair deal but the prices on those accessories are just outrageous......no way to spin that....

And no HDD standard???? O RLY?

P.S. I better see Oblivion for PS3 now...

border

Pseudo judo said:
Anyone not expecting to pay $600 or more on a console - that's not Nintendo's - on launch day has never purchased a console at launch day and as usual should wait for a price drop.
I think most people in the past have managed to keep their launch purchases under $600....which is possible even with the X360.

Kleegamefan said:
For the record, I don't have a problem with 2 SKUs....I don't have a problem with the base system being $299(a fair price) or $399 for the other one (its a great deal)

What I have a problem with is:

No HDD in all Xbux Three $ixties, fragmenting the user base

If every user can play the games how is the user base fractured exactly?

Arcticfox

m0dus said:
With the quantities they are buying, I doubt they are paying much more than $50 each. The LD25 series is designed to be the cheapest 2.5" hard drive Seagate has ever made, and I have seen 20GB, 2MB cache, 5400rpm OEM Momentus hard drives (the current standard 2.5" Seagate hard drive series) for less than $75.

border said:
I think most people in the past have managed to keep their launch purchases under $600....which is possible even with the X360.
:lol I'm Canadain so i guess it doesn't apply to you folks in the States.

I'm not a nintendo fanboy but i think i'll stick with them in the next generation. I'm a college student and there is no way in hell i'm willing to spend $500+ for a gaming console.

Know rhe rev might not be as powerful as the other two but i think it makes up for it in being able to play games from the past. The 16 bit era is still the best era videogames have ever seen. Being able to play Snes games all over again is going to be great.

What i really wonder is what is going to happen to the gaming industry? How much is it going to cost to develope a game? Less and less developers are going to be able to afford to make innovative games on the new systems because if they dont sell they can serious effect their bottom line. Something tell me the Next gen might make way for a gaming crash or a true one console future. Money talks and if your games arent selling you have to fold up.

I really look forward to there being only 5 or so third parties left. One developer to rule them all.

Beowvlf

Banned
This is pretty hefty speculation on my part, but I will not, in the least, be surprised if MS pumps a Core to Value Pack ratio of 75/25 into stores for a few reasons:

1) To combine shipment numbers and the inevitable sell out of the value packs to artificially inflate how well the launch did.

2) To force some of the hardcores to purchase the Core units because they refuse to wait for restocks, and thus plunk down a good bit more on the accessories, which means more profit for MS.

3) To deceive the average store-goer that the 'main' price of the 360 is only 299.99.

/speculation

It's pretty gay of MS to make the de facto price of Xbox 360 to be $400 but if this news really ruins your day (like Zelda being delayed did for many people), then dude you gotta get out more often. Seriously.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Pseudo judo said:
Now why's that, enlighten me and relieve me of my ignorance. :p
Setting aside the fact that a storage device that was standard on the original Xbox has been removed on the base-level version of the sequel - something that was touted as an advantage by all right-thinking Xbox boosters everywhere - I'd gently remind you that the use of the HD for caching and custom soundtracks has also proven quite popular among the hoi polloi. There's more to it than "going on Live and dowlnloading rich media".

But hey, I'm just a developer. What do I know, right?

tenchir

*Not reading 24+ pages..... jeez.*

Announcing this before launch of the system will bite them in the ass. I know for sure that me nor any of my sibling will get the system until we know what is up with the HDD. Are there any x360 games that absolutely needs it? Are the loading time going to be horrible without the HDD? Will BW compatibility work without the HDD? How about the MMORPGs? Too many unknowns.

Then if you absolutely need the HDD for half of the things above to work, then $400 is still too much for me to swallow. After buying the premium with 2 games, it's $500...

HokieJoe

element said:
when did 64 MB become 'small'? For basic player vs player gaming, you really dont need any space locally. Now for things like DLC and stuff, if that is something your interested in, then your going to have to make a decision to do some memory card managment, or buy a HDD. Not to mention the long speculated 'save to PC', which might be possible.

I've changed my mind. After seeing the $100 price for 20GB's, which is ridiculous IMO, I'll be buying the $399 package. And just for the record, "memory card management" sucks smelly goat nads.

Saves to the PC will be a nice option if true. Let's hope for MS's sake that they get this info out the door quick because the reactions I've seen across several sites has been RESOUNDINGLY negative- justified or not. The fractious nature of their announcement isn't so much the $399 price point either- it's the optional HDD stuff IMO.

Top Bottom