• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

m0dus said:
especially if you never intended on buying one in the first place, bud.

seriously, keep telling yourself the game will look like that. :)

Actually, I was just about to put a preorder down for the 360, but after this news it will take some great looking games to change my mind. Don't get me wrong; the $400 bundle set is not that bad of a value, but the games being shown don't justify that price point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DarienA said:
Wait are you saying that the HDD of the original Xbox is what caused it to be a continued loss? Has this been discussed before?(I'm sure it has), I don't get that considering HDD's are so cheap these days....

but HDDs are a relatively fixed cost item. They don't scale down in cost like ICs, and you can't control them quite as much. Just less flexibility, and thats something to avoid if possible.

Pimpbaa

Spike said:
Please.

All I want is a HDD in the base unit. It's what they gave us in the Xbox 1, and it should have been given to us in the base unit of the Xbox 360.

Stop bringing the PS2 into the equation. I'm referring to the Xbox line only.

Any Xbox fan who says this is a great idea is a tool. Plain and simple.

Why should the HDD be in the 360 just because it was in the xbox1? Consoles used to come with 2 controllers and a game, but they don't anymore.

Hero

299 base was expected, 399 was the lowest bundle.

But still, to not include a wireless controller in the base system is retarded, as well as the HDD. It should've at least been the HDD, even if it were only 10GB or so.

Also...WTF to these accessory prices:

• Faceplate ($19.99
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99,
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99,
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99,
• Wireless Controller ($49.99,
• Controller ($39.99

20 bucks just for a faceplate? 100 dollars for a 20GB HDD? The fucking memory card costs almost half of what the HDD does! 50 dollars for a wireless controller? Wow, that's just ridiculous. Buy another controller or another game, hmm....

Stupid, stupid MS.

SuperPac

Axl said:
I just got the weekly ebgames.com newsletter. It has this little blurb:

"In other news, look for Xbox 360 bundle pre-order information in next week’s newsletter!"

Can't wait to see the bundles on this one... though I'm sure that’s where I'll be placing my preorder =(

Wouldn't it be hard to figure out bundle pricing on this since no one really knows what games will be available on launch day yet? Either way, just like with every other console I refuse to buy a bundle. I doubt demand for a $400 console will be so high that I won't be able to find one on launch day outside of a bundle.

Pimpbaa said:
Why should the HDD be in the 360 just because it was in the xbox1?
I think most are more upset that up until today, everything MS has said has pointed specifically to both the HDD and the wireless controller being included in the "base" pack.

$20 for a faceplate is fucking hilarious. "Let's re-coop losses by charging $20 for $.05 of stamped plastic! It's like a microtransaction, but it's not!"

trmas

Banned
This is the first time in history America is getting gouged just like the rest of the globe. European and Canadian gamers appear happy, Americans are for the most part pissed, and Japanese..

They won't buy the system anyway so they could care less.

rastex

Banned
trmas said:
This is the first time in history America is getting gouged just like the rest of the globe. European and Canadian gamers appear happy, Americans are for the most part pissed, and Japanese..

The devaluation of the American dollar on the international markets is finally starting to catch up. And with the quickly rising gas prices, expect EVERYTHING to be a lot more expensive

Yusaku

Spike said:
I'll pass.

$299 without the HDD? Why? The Xbox1 was $299 and it came with a HDD. Bullshit.

I really really wish people would understand that 360 and PS3 use a 2.5" HDD, not 3.5". Size has a cost.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
For $299, you get an Xbox 360 and a wired controller, and a standard S-Video cable

For $399, you get an Xbox 360 and these features:
1 Wireless controller (which probably costs an additional 5-10 dollars when compared to the wired controller to manufacture)
1 faceplate (cheap to produce. Let's say 5 dollars)
1 component cable (<$1
1 ethernet cable (<$1)
1 headset ($10)
1 20-gig hard drive ($20)
1 TV Remote ($2-$5)

So for an extra $100, you get about $50 worth of extra stuff. YAY

Now let's look at what MS is selling their accessories for individually.

$50 wireless controllers (+ $20 charger and $12 battery pack), $100 wireless adaptors (Yeah, they're selling a $10 wireless dongle for 100 fucking dollars), $40 wired controllers, $100 20gb hdds (yeah, 100 dollars for something which costs no more than 20 dollars to make), $40 64mb memory cards (and you can get a gig SD card for around the same price), $20 faceplates (rip), $20 headsets (again, rip).

Oh, and they're charging $29.99 stand alone for the fucking remote.

What a ripoff.

SuperPac

If the $299 version had an HDD, I would've gone with that one. Since it doesn't, and since by the time you buy the HDD you're at $399 and may as well get the other pack anyway, I'll probably end up getting the full 360. That is, if there are even any launch-day games I want to play (jury's still out).

Unfortunately I have a regular 28" TV and don't plan on upgrading anytime in the near future.

ejdonk

Sure but you can already get a 80 GB 2,5" HDD for about 95 Euro, so whats the point selling a 20 GB version for 100 Euro? Meh..

Looking at the HDD price, I'm surprised they didn't go the expected route Sony seems to be going. Why not put a slot in the X360 where you can put any OEM 2.5 HDD? The consumer can then decide (a) if they want a HDD at all, then if so, (b) what size they want. MS doesn't even have to get into the hassle of a propietary HDD casing.

COCKLES

being watched
I hope Xbox live recognises purchases of the l33t pack and instantly kicks out PS2-hop-on-bandwagon-of-xbox-ooh-lets-kill-some-people-in-gta:sa-puffa-jacket-wearing-baseball-capped-scum-value-pack casuals when trying to log onto a game.

"L33T PURCHASER GAMER CREDENTIALS CONFIRMED!"

MS guide to console domination:

1. Give the first console away for free to get foot in door.
2. Charge and control second console in hopes of making a profit.
3. If that fails, port XNA to Sony and Nintendo platforms, drop hardware and try to win in game development software arena.

MS is covered win or lose.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Duckhuntdog said:
MS guide to console domination:

1. Give the first console away for free to get foot in door.
2. Charge and control second console in hopes of making a profit.
3. If that fails, port XNA to Sony and Nintendo platforms, drop hardware and try to win in game development software arena.

MS is covered win or lose.

several people have already called you out on your BS before, dude.

Stop spouting this inane horseshit.

Tedesco!

Does anyone know if the old controllers will work? Sorry if this has been asked, I didn't want to wade through 23+ posts. Thanks!

Yusaku

Guy LeDouche said:
Looking at the HDD price, I'm surprised they didn't go the expected route Sony seems to be going. Why not put a slot in the X360 where you can put any OEM 2.5 HDD? The consumer can then decide (a) if they want a HDD at all, then if so, (b) what size they want. MS doesn't even have to get into the hassle of a propietary HDD casing.

This was MS's game plan:

1. Make pricey hardware, sell it for a huge loss
2. Charge money for a largely P2P online mutiplayer service
3. ???
4. Profit

We're at step 4 now, so MS has to compensate and make sure they make a large profit on all their accessories.

DopeyFish said:
several people have already called you out on your BS before, dude.

Stop spouting this inane horseshit.
thoa048.jpg

Tedesco!

Kabuki Waq said:
Nope. they wont.

Thanks. You know, I was thinking about this for most of the day, and I decided that I'm really not that upset with the price being the way it is. Yes, the prices for the peripherals are a little out of control, but this is Microsoft afterall. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I might not get the system at launch, but at least I'm not as upset about it.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Hey, guys. What's up?

;)

Jokes aside, having a "core" system seperate from the pack isn't without precedent. Sega had two - or possibly three - flavors of the Sega Master System out and about. There was a pack that came with the 3D glasses, a pack that came with the light gun, and a pack that came with just the controllers. I'm pretty sure that at some point, Nintendo may have done it as well with the NES.

What I don't think either did was play that card at *launch*. Ideally, the launch system should set the standard, minimum requirements for developers. Two systems create a base of mixed-and-matched hardware, and that's going to be pain, especially if developers even want to consider using the HDD for something as small as caching or a save option.

I should note that outside of the HDD issue, the seperate packs seem fine. But something so crucial to the XBox experience - by Microsoft's own words - shouldn't be excluded from the base package. At best that's official backpedaling and validation of the PS2 and Gamecube not having one; at worst, it's Microsoft admitting that they can't do this without a major concession (i.e., they're NOT willing to keep throwing money at the project just to see it succeed, they now must require the XBox to perform without calling out to Sugar Daddy Bill for another check.)

GFord

I thought the wireless controller was standard for EVERY 360. Now we know why MS had up to know been so hush hush about 360's price.

They knew that they had damn near suckered everyone into believing that a wireless controller and hardrive were going to be standard out the box for every 360.

I was in my local EB last tuesday and overheard the salesman say exactly that to someone who was considering pre-ordering a 360. Talk about misleading, i wonder how many of the 360 preorders had that sales pitch included?

trmas

Banned
Yeah, the core would have been an excellent value with a wireless controller and just having ONE AV connection (the HD one). MS MIGHT have eaten another $10 on that, and it would be a LOT more appealing.

The wired controller in the 299 version is a kick to the groin. Why not just include the fucking wireless controller that cost a whopping ten dollars more? Shit, were shelling over $300 still, and where I come from, that's a decent chunk.

sangreal

Well you should be more surprised since they were quite clear that the wireless controller would be standard. They were much less clear about the drive.

VALIS

I just wrote the same thing in another thread a minute ago, that's the only thing that seems like BS to me, the bait and switch of the wired and wireless controllers. Otherwise, the 360 pricing is damn good. $300 for a powerhouse console in the year 2005 kicks all sorts of ass.

DopeyFish

LittleTokyo said:
The wired controller in the 299 version is a kick to the groin. Why not just include the fucking wireless controller that cost a whopping ten dollars more? Shit, were shelling over $300 still, and where I come from, that's a decent chunk.

no! keep your wireless shit out of my packages. I want wired controllers until i decide to buy them seperately.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
xsarien said:
at worst, it's Microsoft admitting that they can't do this without a major concession (i.e., they're NOT willing to keep throwing money at the project just to see it succeed, they now must require the XBox to perform without calling out to Sugar Daddy Bill for another check.)

Well, you know, it's gonna be their tough luck (and their own fault) if it all blows up in their faces now isn't it?

acidviper

Banned
trmas said:
Yeah, the core would have been an excellent value with a wireless controller and just having ONE AV connection (the HD one). MS MIGHT have eaten another $10 on that, and it would be a LOT more appealing.

Yeah this is bullshit. They should be dubbed welfare and normal version. If it don't come with HDTV cables - then WTF was the whole HD era bull. Why not have the welfare version come with rf cables and mono sound.

m0dus

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
1 20-gig hard drive ($20)

So for an extra $100, you get about $50 worth of extra stuff. YAY.

Um, are you really that naive? a 2.5" 5400rpm HD, minimum, will cost you about $65-70 for an OEM. :)

xsarien

daedsiluap
Dr_Cogent said:
Well, you know, it's gonna be their tough luck (and their own fault) if it all blows up in their faces now isn't it?

I don't think anyone's arguing that (Well, except maybe Dopey.) ;). If cost of the HDD is such a concern, maybe some kind of halfway point? Maybe give the core system a smaller hard drive.

It's Microsoft's launch to screw up.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Official Canadian Prices for those who need them (Like me):

Xbox 360 Core System - $399
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $499
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

Accessories
• Faceplate ($29.99)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($129.99)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($49.99)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($129.99)
• Wireless Controller ($59.99)
• Play and Charge Kit ($29.99)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($14.99)
• Controller ($39.99)
• Headset ($29.99)
• Universal Media Remote ($39.99)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($39.99)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($49.99)

ninja edit: and since the exchange rate for us is so good; it is now officially c heaper to buy an x360 in the USA and smuggle it accross the border, w00t w00t.

DopeyFish

xsarien said:
I don't think anyone's arguing that (Well, except maybe Dopey.) ;). If cost of the HDD is such a concern, maybe some kind of halfway point? Maybe give the core system a smaller hard drive.

20 GB is the lowest in the run of hard drives, 40 GB and 60 GB are the higher ones.

Joe

is the headset really wireless? majornelson.com pictures a headset with a wire and mentions nothing about wireless in the description.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
xsarien said:

If things stay the way we are reading, it's screwed up alright.

I didn't get a chance to get to EB to cancel my pre-order, but I am going to save my money at this point. I'm not buying into this BS. Especially after it was pretty much insinuated that the HD was standard a long time ago - along with the wireless controller.

$399 isn't that bad. People are comparing the price to the Saturn, when it's actually closer to the price of the original Playstation- $300 in 1995 dollars is about $373 today (according to an inflation calculator found via Google), a launch PS1 plus memory card cost more than the premium 360 after inflation adjustment.

Pimpbaa

wonderfuldays said:
2.5" hdd is NOT THAT expensive then 3.5" hdd.

Yeah they are. For the price I paid for replacing the HD in my laptop (40 gig, 5400rpm), I could have got a 120 gig 3.5" drive. That was earlier this year, I don't know what 3.5" prices are now.

Top Bottom