• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lack of hype for Spider-Man 2

Spider-Man 2 is probably going to be the 3rd best-selling game of the year behind Hogwarts Legacy and Zelda TOTK, but there is a distinct lack of hype and buzz around the game.

The trailers for Zelda hit 16 million from 4 years ago and more recent ones have topped off at 12 million.

Spider-Man 2's reveal trailer had 29 million views on YouTube. The Gameplay reveal from 3 months ago has 16 million views on the PlayStation YouTube channel and another 15 million views on the Marvel channel.

The story trailer from 1 month ago has 13 million views...

So where is the disconnect?

I think it comes down to a few things
  • Despite the successful trailers, Sony really hasn't done much to advertise the game (yet)
  • What we have seen subjectively isn't enough to get excited about
    • It feels like to some that this could have been a sequel on the PS4 albeit there is more detail density and better lighting, nothing we've seen so far suggests this couldn't have been cross-gen
  • I think many of us had the expectation that this would take the PS5 to a new level graphically since it was a major Sony studio
  • The gameplay also doesn't look like anything different

I think one thing the game needs to do really well is tandem Spider-Men. I think we've seen in Spider-Man No Way Home and Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse that there are so many options when it comes to what fighting with tandem Spider-Men can look like and we haven't seen much of that on display in the more recent trailers (the announce trailer had more of it). It can't just be you have the option to play as Peter or Miles.

I'm fully expecting a massive advertising campaign to start probably in about 10 days (the month leading up to release) and it was very similar to God of War Ragnarok, but I'm really hoping this game pushes things further than Ragnarok did.

I think maybe Insomniac hurt themselves with the release of Miles Morales and Spider-Man Remastered. Obviously, not financially, but from an expectations perspective. Obviously, all 3 games are going to chart in the top 20 for October. I strongly think that if they had removed the Mary Jane segments from the first game and some of the more annoying puzzles that they seem determined to put in all of their games, as well as some of the boring side quests and chores, the first game would have been closer to a real GOTY contender (yes I know it was nominated).

They've got a strong template here for Spider-Man 2, but I think the template is what is dampening the hype despite the fact that this game is going to sell 15+ million copies.

Pedro Motta

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

Anime-Vix

Yall said the same thing about Starfield before it was released. The hype and ads for Spiderman 2 will start to appear shortly before the game is released.
These days, most videogame ads and hype are created by Social Media platforms like TikTok, Twitter and Streamers.
Once the release date is near and streamers and reviewers get their hands on it and start to show off gameplay, the hype will increase dramatically.

Ozzie666

So much time until October 20 the game and Spider-Man practically advertises itself. Sony will push this hard there is no doubt about it and it will sell a lot.
Are you seriously questioning their approach? Not every game has the free advertising Harry Potter got.

Elios83

But people are super hyped in the real world, every trailer and info shared gathers massive amount of views (10-20m views) and it will be one of the biggest selling games of the year.
So what are you complaining about, that there aren't threads stating that " the hype is massive and growing" on some message boards? :pie_roffles: :messenger_grinning_sweat:

It's better this way :pie_wfwt: the actual marketing machine will ramp soon but really it's not about "perception" or "feelings" in specific bubbles.

FeralEcho

Bought the first one day 1,same with MM but I don't have an ounce of hype for this.It looks exactly like the first one and MM,only this time with butchered faces for Mary Jawline Watson and butchered hair for Miles longdread Morales.

Not only that but with how many incredible games we have available this year it's hard to be exciting for something that barely changed mechanically since 2018.Fucking Web of Shadows in 2009 was more exciting with its Venom abilities than what they showed in that demo or hell bring us a remaster of Ultimate Spiderman where we actually play Venom and jump around on buildings.

I'm excited for Wolverine though, that's exciting as its a different IP that hasn't been done justice in a long time.

poodaddy

Hype overload maybe. How many times can we get crazy hyped about a game. Its been relentless these last months.
I think it's exactly this and it's what I was gonna say, though in different words. There have been far too many huge, open world, big budget, and actually fun video games released in too short a period of time. I'm still gonna love Spoders 2, but I gotta admit, going from Tears of the Kingdom to Starfield and now Spoders, and hell I skipped the Harry Potter one altogether as I just have never been a Potter guy, but that counts as well, and I still haven't beaten either of the two aforementioned games as they're just too damn big.....I mean I'll be lucky if I can "beat" either of those games before the year is through. Huge Venom fan though, so I'll have to make special time for Spoders, however I am starting to feel that just three games alone will eat all my free time up, which I don't have much of anyway.

MrA

Banned
The trailers are definition of marketing , especially when the game is still over a month away, next few weeks things will ramp up
The other points , 1 a name can get some people hyped
2. Jaded members of any enthusiast forum will never be happy
The game will open to a few million copies, it'll be fine

Spyxos

Gold Member
Spider-Man 2's reveal trailer had 29 million views on YouTube. The Gameplay reveal from 3 months ago has 16 million views on the PlayStation YouTube channel and another 15 million views on the Marvel channel.

The story trailer from 1 month ago has 13 million views...

These are good numbers. And did spiderman 1 have much hype before the release?

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Whether you like it or not copies sold does mean something. Maybe not to someone playing the game but certainly to the devs and the publisher.
For developers, yes as that means more money for them.
For us players and fans, nothing really.
All we want is a good game. Great is a plus on the menu.

Kurotri

Didn't this happen with GoW Ragnarok as well? I don't think constant hype needs to be a thing for certain franchises. Once release day is there the game will sell a gazillion copies and be the talk of town.

mortal

Gold Member
Does every game have to be a major event so you can be excited for it?

Besides, it's Spider-man, one the most popular IPs ever.
Just because we're not being inundated with Spider-Man 2 threads every other day like Starfield doesn't mean there's cause for concern.

Flabagast

Everybody sane in their minds are fucking tired of dumb superheros and the game looks totally derivative at best. I could not be less interested tbh.

I hope Sony steps up their game greatly in the second part of the gen, the last few batch of exclusives just doesn’t cut it at all imho. They are lucky MS doesn’t not manage to take advantage of it and still releases downer after downer (last one being Starfield)

Certinty

It’s pretty obvious Sony haven’t really started the marketing campaign for it just yet.

It’s here and there but no doubt in a few weeks time it will go from zero to one hundred real quick in promo.

Then the hype should skyrocket.

feynoob

Banned
I'm sure the game will be nice. Remember this is Insomniac which you do like.
I am not visual guy. I can't handle another Mary Jane mission, where guards are dumb as hell. Or when bosses are too predictable with their attacks.

I hope they can fix those issues in this game. I hated the bosses in the first game.

I am not visual guy. I can't handle another Mary Jane mission, where guards are dumb as hell. Or when bosses are too predictable with their attacks.

I hope they can fix those issues in this game. I hated the bosses in the first game.

Well maybe you should become a different person. All it takes is some hypnosis and you can be whatever you want to me. Even a person that enjoys these games.

Markio128

The hype will rise again closer to release. We can’t discount the fact that there have been some big, big releases these last couple of months. Gamers are currently on a Starfield/BG3/Armoured Core trip.

Sakura

It's Spider Man. A large part of hype (in my opinion), comes from some level of mystery or unknown. When there is stuff we don't know our mind fills in the blanks and our imagination runs wild. It's like the hype there would be for a Nintendo Direct or something where we don't know anything, versus if we knew what was going to be shown beforehand, even if the end result is the same.
We already know what a new Spider Man game is going to be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom