• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lack of hype for Spider-Man 2

Fbh

I have zero hype for it. It just looks like more of the same and IMO the formula was already growing stale by the end of Miles Morales, some new powers and a bigger city don't look like they'll change the experience too much.
Not to mention it still looks like the same old Ps3 era Arkham design, I can already see the sidequests: "OMG Spiderman Vulture is attacking the balloon parades around the city" --> Map opens up and 10 balloon parade icons appear across the city --> Go do slight variations of the same mission 10 times and maybe at the end you'll get a costume or like a QTE heavy fight against Vulture.
Will get it when it's heavily discounted.

That said I think it will do really well. It will probably review well and people adore Spiderman so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the best selling Ps5 exclusive.

Topher

Gold Member
I have zero hype for it. It just looks like more of the same and IMO the formula was already growing stale by the end of Miles Morales, some new powers and a bigger city don't look like they'll change the experience too much.
Not to mention it still looks like the same old Ps3 era Arkham design, I can already see the sidequests: "OMG Spiderman Vulture is attacking the balloon parades around the city" --> Map opens up and 10 balloon parade icons appear across the city --> Go do slight variations of the same mission 10 times and maybe at the end you'll get a costume or like a QTE heavy fight against Vulture.

That said I think it will do really well. It will probably review well and people adore Spiderman so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the best selling Ps5 exclusive.

I'd rather have the Akham design for side-quests which are, as you point out, extremely weak in the first two Spider-man games. Spider-man's are typically cringe political side stories that borderline the absurd. The schtick of "evil corporation is dumping toxic wastes under a homeless shelter and I have 60 seconds to save them" just makes my eyes do backflips.

Shubh_C63

I don't think it needs hype. Casual LOVE Spiderman and it's literally one of the IP where almost every game is excellent.

They will see new Spiderman in stores or on huge ass banner on PS/Xbox Store, they will buy it. Hype is for the enthusiasts which gonna buy anyway.
But yeah ofcourse we will see short but aggressive campaign because we have less attention span now. Good campaign should result in impulse purchase.

Lupin25

“Spider-Man 2's reveal trailer had 29 million views on YouTube. The Gameplay reveal from 3 months ago has 16 million views on the PlayStation YouTube channel and another 15 million views on the Marvel channel.”

I’m not sure Op, because those numbers definitely don’t indicate a lack of hype behind it…

Real life issues play a part more than ever these days in detracting from that, but
maybe it’s the people you interact with? Maybe on forums?

The people I know are waiting on SM2 more than any other game now that the year is nearly finished.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
The game play reveal trailer was rubbish really, nothing that impressed compared to the SP1 on PS4, which generated excitement. But that's what you get when it's essentially a pumped up PS4 looking game.

Last edited:
The hype will come back.If they release a new trailer and a ad.or if there is a state of play for Spidy the hype will start like a snowball and will become huge no worries about that game will be best selling game this year no contest.

Dream-Knife

Banned
But people are super hyped in the real world, every trailer and info shared gathers massive amount of views (10-20m views) and it will be one of the biggest selling games of the year.
So what are you complaining about, that there aren't threads stating that " the hype is massive and growing" on some message boards? :pie_roffles: :messenger_grinning_sweat:

It's better this way :pie_wfwt: the actual marketing machine will ramp soon but really it's not about "perception" or "feelings" in specific bubbles.
Live in your world, play in ours.

I loved it, but I'd had enough of the formula by the time I started Morales. Close to zero interest - Starfield, BG3, Cyberpunk and plenty of smaller tittles all take priority for me over this.

I'll maybe play if/when it comes to PS+ down the line.

Puscifer

I'm sure it'll be great and review well but honestly I'm burned out on Superheroes, it's been what, like 15 years of relentless marketing since the original Iron Man? I might play it when it's discounted but as of now I'm just not that interested.

small_law

I completely forgot it was coming out this year. I mentally filed it under spring release and I haven't checked up on it at all. It's a day one get for me.

I still have a lot to finish up before then and now. Tears of the kingdom is done, but AC6 and Starfield need work. I haven't even gotten into baldur's gate 3 and I need to do that.

2023 is turning out to be one hell of a release year. Kind of crept up on us didn't it?

killatopak

Hype was sated after Across The Multiverse. Just like it was with Niche Man and Into The Spiderverse.

It hurts me that Insomniac is working on more super hero shit instead of making new ips
They did. Half a dozen including their Xbox game. It didn't work out. Maybe their calling is actually working with the constraints of an established IP. It always seem to do wonders for them especially in terms of output.

Del_X

Unless Venom is playable it looks very incremental over the first game. I’ll get it on PC whenever that drops.

True, might skip though it doesn’t appeal to me that much, I didn’t particularly like the first game to be honest, But I will give it an honest try

Well you can check out a few reviews first before buying it. If it's not your thing thats fine but im sure many are into that type of experience.

Fbh

I'd rather have the Akham design for side-quests which are, as you point out, extremely weak in the first two Spider-man games. Spider-man's are typically cringe political side stories that borderline the absurd. The schtick of "evil corporation is dumping toxic wastes under a homeless shelter and I have 60 seconds to save them" just makes my eyes do backflips.

I still remember in one chapter of the Game Makers Notebook podcast Ted Price (CEO and founder of Insomniac) was interviewing some dev (don't remember who) and he started talking about how impressed he was about the optional content in their game because at Insomniac they struggle to justify spending a lot of time and resources on content that statistically a lot of players won't experience. They don't see the point in having a really cool boss battle at the end of a chain of cool sidequests because it's likely that a majority of people who are going to play through the game will just focus on the main story.

It made sense from a business perspective but to me it also explained why the side stuff in Spiderman is so bland, and it also prepared me to not expect it to get better in their future games.

Little Mac

Gold Member
It's a sequel and the gameplay trailers didn't exactly knock the internet off its feet. I don't own a PS5 and will temper my excitement for Sony exclusives until I finally buy one ... Likely after the PS5 Pro gets released and it has at least 5 or 6 must have current gen exclusives justifying the purchase. That's just my reasoning though.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's a sequel to a game that came out in 2018 and then again in 2020 with Miles Morales, and on paper it doesn't look all that distinct, visually.

So I think it's natural that hype is a bit lower for this one.

It's going to be an absolute banger though and it's going to fly off the shelves once it's out.

Last edited:
I never played the original. And to be 100% honest I never liked Spiderman as a character/superhero I find him uninteresting and boring. I much rather have a proper dedicated Hulk game or another real Batman game.but that doesn't mean the game is bad or not good, I just don't like the main character lol.

Wolverine though is very exciting so I am stoked to play that. I love Wolverine as a hero.

Last edited:

kevm3

There's not much new media released to get hyped about and what was shown a few months back wasn't bad, but it wasn't hype-inducing. It looked a touch better than Spiderman 1

Less hype for the game might actually be a PLUS for Insomniac. It will keep expectations in check and the game won't get bashed for not meeting an impossibly high standard.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Even if the visuals where not what i expected (they look good but not mind blowing) this game still gonna be one of the GOTY imo. The story and gameplay will be "amazing" hopefully as the last games which where really good. Spiderman is always big so im always hyped for it like millions of other people.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
nichemancoverudd44.png
Hahaha, can't wait for the g.i.biz article on how niche this game is lol

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Meanwhile I’m over here giga hyped to play it. Even replayed the first and miles just last month to get ready lol.

Marvel/Disney/superhero fatigue.

That may have a small part, but the Spiderman movies are largely considered outside of the 'usual' MCU scope, and are more Sony's thing. Though, Venom and Morbius didn't do too hot. The Spiderman movies themselves though, for the past few years? They've done great and No Way Home is still considered the absolute highlight post-Endgame.

Now about superhero fatigue...that is interesting and there is a possibility that has set in a bit. Though we could say there's definitely Star Wars fatigue when it comes to the shows, for example, yet the games have lots of fanfare and Jedi Survivor performed quite well at retail. I'm just saying, whatever affects the films and shows doesn't 100% carry over to affect the games, though they could have some small influence or bearing.

But WRT Spiderman 2, like others have been saying, Sony simply haven't kicked off the advertising in earnest. I did complain about lack of Starfield advertising early on, but that's because Starfield is a new IP and MS has a history of lackluster traditional advertising for their big games the past 10 or so years. Spiderman's recognizable AF and Sony usually do very well with traditional advertising for their games. They're just probably waiting until the end of September/early October before kicking things off in earnest.

Still think they'll probably do another SOP for the game and hopefully show off some new gameplay systems & mechanics/features, because everything else looks pretty tight. And at least with the recent photos, the visuals seem improved further notably from the May footage, just hope that translates to in-motion (and that things like the water fluid model is improved vs. what we saw in May).

I think it's exactly this and it's what I was gonna say, though in different words. There have been far too many huge, open world, big budget, and actually fun video games released in too short a period of time. I'm still gonna love Spoders 2, but I gotta admit, going from Tears of the Kingdom to Starfield and now Spoders, and hell I skipped the Harry Potter one altogether as I just have never been a Potter guy, but that counts as well, and I still haven't beaten either of the two aforementioned games as they're just too damn big.....I mean I'll be lucky if I can "beat" either of those games before the year is through. Huge Venom fan though, so I'll have to make special time for Spoders, however I am starting to feel that just three games alone will eat all my free time up, which I don't have much of anyway.

Can definitely see this POV, as I have something of a similar situation. Not as much time to game as in the past, and in my case, there are also a lot of classic titles I have been trying to play through. So many big releases today just swallow you into them with a metric ton of content and playtimes approaching triple digits in some cases. For some of us, that's a game that'll take months to play through. Now drop 5-6 or more of those in the span of a single year; it can be difficult to play them all to completion.

I bought GOW Ragnarok Day 1 for example, and I still haven't finished it. Granted, my schedule is more of an outlier, but it's something I have to consider when looking at what games to play. There are those with milder scheduling situations who still probably struggle with making the time to finish a lot of these massive open-world games in any given year, and I think that's a reason smaller indie games have been getting increasingly more popular over the years. Not only do they usually take less time to beat, but a lot of them are also more mechanically simple, both in terms of controls and game systems, so they're easier to memorize and take a longer break from before jumping back in and quickly getting right back up to speed.

Though, I think part of that also fluctuates based on experience. A lot of AAA games in specific genres for example, have certain standardized inputs and systems between them, just due to popularity of those things. So someone who plays a lot of those games in general just builds up skills and memory for them where even after a long break, they can come back and get acclimated with them in just a few minutes or what-have-you.

Last edited:
I never really understood the mega hype for Marvel's Spiderman and Miles Morales. Great games, sure, but I don't feel the need to buy these day 1 at full price. I bought Spiderman GOTY for like $20 and played Miles Morales on Extra. I don't personally consider them big games or system sellers. Though I'm not a super hero fan, and Spiderman and Batman are the only two I care about at all.

I'm looking forward to it, but it seems pretty much just the first game with a few more bells and whistles added.

New areas, new abilities, new enemies, but the core of the game is the same.

Hype was sated after Across The Multiverse. Just like it was with Niche Man and Into The Spiderverse.

They did. Half a dozen including their Xbox game. It didn't work out. Maybe their calling is actually working with the constraints of an established IP. It always seem to do wonders for them especially in terms of output.
I'll give you that, but it looks like most of those new ips were either mobile games, VR games, or games for the magic leap. Nothing high profile since sunset overdrive.

Then again, you are right, super hero stuff is a veritable gravy train. I can't stand it myself, and haven't really been able to stomach it since 2014 or so

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I just know it'll get boring af open-world / combat-wise just as fast as original game, hense I won't be bying it at launch or anytime soon just to experience the story (which I'm sure will just as great as in original game). I'll get a used copy a few years later and much cheaper, just like with the last God of War.

Last edited:

Pop

Here's some hype for you,

Spidey 2 on PS5 only will sale more than all the platforms Starfield is on. Guaranteed

Tiamat2san

I liked the first game, never finished miles morales because i made the mistake to play the remastered version of the first game completely before M.M, so i found it tedious.

I’ll play the second game at launch because there’s Venom in it and he is voiced by Tony Todd.(♥️)

I am more curious about Wolverine (hoping a better combat feel)
I hope it will be more violent too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Don't kid yourself on this one. I've had several casual family and friends mention this.

I never cared for it but don't let simple forum mind overthink and make the OT for concern too soon.

Insomniac have singlehandedly been keeping PS first-partys head above water, absolutely these guys are studio of the last few years. Game looks great hopefully it improves upon the original.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It’s kinda hard to get hyped for games anymore, when they’re just offering the same experiences we’ve already had multiple times.

But that’s not just with this game.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Seems like plenty of hype for just 1 showcase.

We are still 6 weeks out. Hype and promotion will ramp up very soon, Sony don't have anything else lined up.

It's a known quantity. That's it, really. Like it's gonna be great, it's gonna sell a kabillion copies, but we know what it is and what to expect.

My sentiments exactly. The first one had a lot of hype because no one had played it yet. This sequel looks like more of the same, just expanded--as you would expect of a sequel.

I also sold my PS5, so it's going to be at least two years before it comes to PC, where I'll play it.

it looks exactly like the first game on ps4
Diminishing returns dude

People said that the jump from PS3 to PS4 was small

Killzone 2 on PS3
11651875-killzone-2-playstation-3-thats-called-a-rough-landing.jpg

Killzone Shadow Fall on PS4
large.jpg

Even with titles like Shadow Fall, Second Son looking better than their predecessors. People said the leap from PS3 to PS4 was small.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

This is roughly my thoughts on it. I got the platinum for Spiderman and Miles, including playing them both a second time on their respective hardest difficulties. They are fun games, but there really isn't much to write home about them for me personally.

I am glad others are very excited for the game and I am sure it will be another great time, but it will be a deep discount for when I pick it up.

Plus I still haven't finished games that released 9 months ago and still have two full acts in BG3 and most of StarField to play through.

Top Bottom