• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lack of hype for Spider-Man 2

image.png

SEGA_2012

I am not following this game so i don't know if there is a "lack of hype", but maybe people are busy with other games. There are many messages here saying things like, "oh i wish i could play Mortal Kombat but i am busy playing BG3 and Starfield" (for example). They do care about Spider-man 2 , but at same time they have that feeling of "oh i need to finish this game i am playing first".

StereoVsn

I'd rather have the Akham design for side-quests which are, as you point out, extremely weak in the first two Spider-man games. Spider-man's are typically cringe political side stories that borderline the absurd. The schtick of "evil corporation is dumping toxic wastes under a homeless shelter and I have 60 seconds to save them" just makes my eyes do backflips.
Hopefully they took some lessons from first games. However, they went out of the way to state that first games were too cop friendly so not sure which way they are going to take the quest design.

Hopefully those side activities will be beefier. The map is quite a bit larger now so that's pretty cool. Frankly with Spider-Man I am looking to swing around town, beat up bad guys and chew bubblegum. The latter is completely optional! 😉

Edit: Oh my God, people here are crazy. It's going to sell like proverbial hot cakes and we will get another Sony "This was the fastest selling game" statement again.

Edit: Also, totally and completely no hype.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

I am not following this game so i don't know if there is a "lack of hype", but maybe people are busy with other games. There are many messages here saying things like, "oh i wish i could play Mortal Kombat but i am busy playing BG3 and Starfield" (for example). They do care about Spider-man 2 , but at same time they have that feeling of "oh i need to finish this game i am playing first".
I feel this in general because I just don't play that many games at a time so I'm always behind, but at this point even the gaming junkies and people that play games as part of their jobs are struggling to keep up. You can really see the fatigue which can sometimes get in the way of hype. I guess it's a good problem to have.

Still, October is absolutely insane for game releases. Best strategy is to just pick two major releases and let the rest fall to the back burner. I don't know what some of these publishers are thinking by dumping all these games at the same time. Maybe it's pressure to get ahead of the Game Awards? I'd rather see them push releases to December.

Last edited:
I feel this in general because I just don't play that many games at a time so I'm always behind, but at this point even the gaming junkies and people that play games as part of their jobs are struggling to keep up. You can really see the fatigue which can sometimes get in the way of hype. I guess it's a good problem to have.

Still, October is absolutely insane for game releases. Best strategy is to just pick two major releases and let the rest fall to the back burner. I don't know what some of these publishers are thinking by dumping all these games at the same time. Maybe it's pressure to get ahead of the Game Awards? I'd rather see them push releases to December.

People start buying christmas presents in october/november. You're leaving millions of dollars on the table if you come out in December.

That's why a game like FF7 Rebirth will come out in February instead of December. You've already missed the window, you might as well try to pack it in, in the early months of the year where traditionally there isn't a ton of competition, but that's starting to change a bit.

Right now though, it should be a clear favorite for #1 game of the month in sales, with a lot of new PS5 owners looking for a new post christmas game after Spider-Man.

Last edited:
Well it does seem to be increasing however it also isn't at unreasonable levels. I'm hoping it stays this way because to much hype can be a bad thing.

tmlDan

I get it. I got so bored with the first game. I honestly don’t know why people liked it so much. Combat was not fun. Not like Arkham. And the city crimes got so repetitive. Traversal was never as fluid as I wanted it to be. Wasn’t for me.
I think you just have bad taste in games if you think the combat isn't fun....or you don't know how to play it properly?

Then again you have a grunt as your pfp, prob a fanboy.

Unknown?

I don't think it reached Starfield levels of hype. We will just have to wait and see how this changes before launch.
I think it is close based on viewership, look how much traffic the trailers generate. A lot less manufactured hype though.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't think it reached Starfield levels of hype. We will just have to wait and see how this changes before launch.

Just remember one week before starfield we had the "where is the hype and marketing threads"

I think the hype is there for some. Loads of goty posts after the last couple of days.

I'm just looking forward to what looks like a much improved version of miles morales. I think its got a big chance to eclipse 90 plus MC after the previews.

RAIDEN1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just don't see how this game couldn't have been done on the PS4 Pro if you really pushed it to its limits, aside from the lack of load time

Just remember one week before starfield we had the "where is the hype and marketing threads"

I think the hype is there for some. Loads of goty posts after the last couple of days.

I'm just looking forward to what looks like a much improved version of miles morales. I think its got a big chance to eclipse 90 plus MC after the previews.

I don't think this game is being hyped to being the best title of the year and for being a must have. With Starfield the hype started a while ago especially with the events that Microsoft dedicated to it. Then there's the push from influencers with the game.

Definitely don't think the general consensus is that this game will compete with BG3 or anything similar. It should be a good title though.

Unknown?

I don't think this game is being hyped to being the best title of the year and for being a must have. With Starfield the hype started a while ago especially with the events that Microsoft dedicated to it. Then there's the push from influencers with the game.

Definitely don't think the general consensus is that this game will compete with BG3 or anything similar. It should be a good title though.
The game had good hype but influencers aren't real hype, it's manufactured. You could pay people to love terrible games, for instance, but no amount of influencers will make people care about a game that just doesn't look interesting.

Real hype comes from just your average person talking about it.

The game had good hype but influencers aren't real hype, it's manufactured. You could pay people to love terrible games, for instance, but no amount of influencers will make people care about a game that just doesn't look interesting.

Real hype comes from just your average person talking about it.

I guess the amount of hype threads created right before Starfields launch threw me off. Maybe there wasn't an insane amount of hype for it but it seemed like it to me.

Unknown?

I guess the amount of hype threads created right before Starfields launch threw me off. Maybe there wasn't an insane amount of hype for it but it seemed like it to me.
No it had real hype and lots of it, I'm just saying influencers are so fake. And that dude who made the thread saying the hype was massive and growing was fake as heck too.

No it had real hype and lots of it, I'm just saying influencers are so fake. And that dude who made the thread saying the hype was massive and growing was fake as heck too.

Yeah I'm just saying when it comes to hype I don't believe Spider-Man 2 reached Starfield levels. What Starfield had was pretty insane.

VN1X

Banned
I will only buy a game if there's an arbitrary amount of positive signals from the hivemind.

Perfectly reasonable.

Honestly, it's tough to get hyped after the dumpster fire that was Miles Morales. The main villain (Tinkerer), was one of the most insufferable characters I've ever seen. Even when out of costume she was rude, condescending, arrogant and a-brim with unearned confidence. She tried to kill MM, her childhood friend, even after finding out he was Spider-Man. Seeing MM humiliate himself again and again via simping over her was a tough thing to experience. It was strange to have a character like that, a wannabe terrorist, portrayed as if we should feel some kind of sympathy for her. Same weird energy that we saw in the Falcon and the Winter Soldier show.

The DLC for Spider-Man was also pretty poor with Black Cat and Silver Sable being the only interesting part. The challenges became an absolute grind that sucked the soul from the game. Screwball was irredeemably annoying, in-fact, thinking back to her annoying voice and cringe af writing makes me even more unenthusiastic for Spider-Man 2. Lastly, this is a stealth split-protagonist game that was hardly marketed at all. I don't mind Miles Morales but I wanna play as Peter Parker. Enough of this bait and switch crap.

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just don't see how this game couldn't have been done on the PS4 Pro if you really pushed it to its limits, aside from the lack of load time
Just the load times, and the ray tracing, and the density of environments, and the character switching and fast traversal that makes the game way more exciting to play. Insomniac dropped the ball hard.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm looking forward to it. I've been enjoying my replay through Spider-Man Remastered ever since Sony unwound the upgrade from Miles Morales. I played MM on PS+ and it was good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first game.

Yeah I'm just saying when it comes to hype I don't believe Spider-Man 2 reached Starfield levels. What Starfield had was pretty insane.
Starfield videos never had tens of millions of views I don't pay attention to chatter online that's just noise but viewership can paint a picture on the type of engagement a game could possibly have. Every Spider-Man video has over 10 million views I don't think people realize how crazy that is and if the review scores come in at anything over 9, sales were already going to be through the roof that'll just take it to another stratosphere. So far the most hyped game this generation have been Elden Ring by a country mile.

Top Bottom