• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lack of hype for Spider-Man 2

sigmaZ

I mean it will be really good, but it's unlikely to be revolutionary in anyway unless they completely change the gameplay mechanics or something.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm buying it day one, but my hype is not as high as it could be.

Maybe because we haven't seen a great deal of it. What I've seen so far seems like it's more of the same. I wasn't expecting them to reinvent the wheel, but I did expect something more from a PS5 exclusive.

Side note, please no more MJ missions.

In what way can this age poorly? Be specific.
Lets be honest. This game is gonna sell like gangbusters lol. Idk where itll rank for the year but would i be surprised if it outsold Hogwarts and Totk. Absolutely not. There is something to be said about the install base of ps5 compared to Switch and remember Hogwarts is also on previous gen. Im not knowledgeable of the sales on current gen for Hogwarts as opposed to previous gen. But i think it just comes down to whether or not you like the first two insomniac Spiderman games. And how would you like them to revolutionize the formula ? I think its safe to say the first one and mile morales are easily the two best spiderman games ever made and people who loved them just want more even if they dont do much different formulaically. Also thats not to say they cant be improved but god those first two games were really damn good lol and people who are invested want to see where it goes narratively including myself and i realize there seem to be some similiar story tropes at play but im not gonna judge it until i actually see how it plays out. But for you to think this game doesnt have hype is laughable lol the game will sell extremely well so yes i think your post will age poorly. Dont know if your op but if you are thats what i meant. Platform agnostic btw no fanboyism here. Own all platforms.

Last edited:

Kakax11

Banned
As i said before this Spidey game won't sell as much as the original, too many factors in play this time around, one of them is people waiting for the PC version while they play Starfield

GymWolf

Why? Incredible amount of games they've produced and all have been great games. You looking for a GOTY contender? Spider-Man 2 could be it.
They are a quantity over quality studio, they haven't made original gameplay since sunset overdrive that was basically bootleg infamous with ratchet weapons.

Their games are the definition of 7/10.

If this is peak modern sony, we are royally fucked.

Spidey 2 in a year like this is gonna be as much of a goty contender as my ballsack.

Last edited:
They are a quantity over quality studio, they haven't made original gameplay since sunset overdrive that was basically bootleg infamous with ratchet weapons.

Their games are the definition of 7/10.

If this is peak modern sony, we are royally fucked.
more 8/10 IMO, but yeah I suppose you're waiting on Naughty Dogs next.

ProtoByte

Why? Incredible amount of games they've produced and all have been great games. You looking for a GOTY contender? Spider-Man 2 could be it.
I think they're a good, productive studio too but it would be a shame if their recent output was the height of quality from PS.

The games they've released in the last 7 years are 2 defanged Ratchet and Clanks, which have been using the same design and mechanical conceits since the the late PS2/early PS3 era, one full Spider-Man game (which I loved, but isn't the type of game you give a 9-10 score for) and one half-step spinoff of Spider-Man with a worse story.

There's still potential to wring out from Spider-Man, and it's a damn shame they've not taken the opportunity to do so after 33 million copies worth of revenue, 5 years and a console generation removed from the first game.

GymWolf

more 8/10 IMO, but yeah I suppose you're waiting on Naughty Dogs next.
Not really, i wait for all the team to show their work.

Morales, ratchet and sunset are all 7 imo, spidey can be an 8 only if you are a die hard spidey fanboy, for everyone else is just an ubisoft open world with good (but derivative) combat and a decent story.

You are never gonna get a gow 2018 or tlou1 from insomniac, or even a controversial game from them that people absolutely hated or absolutely loved like days gone, they are the definition of "ok" with high production values.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I think the game will sell well

That being said, I don't feel too much hype for it personally. This might be caused by general superhero fatigue and Marvel oversaturation, or just because of this year in general with so many stellar games to catch up. I feel Spider-Man is one of those that I can skip and play later down the line

Schmendrick

It´s a bit like FIFA. The Licenses will make this sell very well among the mainstream crowd.
Among enthusiasts....well, I don`t see what`s there to be excited about. It`s more of the same with a slight graphics bump nowhere near of what was originally announced.

Raonak

Banned
Hype means nothing. This is gonna come out and sell massively.

The PS5 audience is waiting for another big PS5 exclusive. A sequel to the SM game automatically sells itself.And it's very likely to be a goty contender

Last edited:
As i said before this Spidey game won't sell as much as the original, too many factors in play this time around, one of them is people waiting for the PC version while they play Starfield
A LOT of people said that about Ragnarok, and there is a high chance it will outsell GOW 2018 this year.

Spidey will sell gang busters.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Spider-Man 2 is probably going to be the 3rd best-selling game of the year behind Hogwarts Legacy and Zelda TOTK, but there is a distinct lack of hype and buzz around the game.

The trailers for Zelda hit 16 million from 4 years ago and more recent ones have topped off at 12 million.

Spider-Man 2's reveal trailer had 29 million views on YouTube. The Gameplay reveal from 3 months ago has 16 million views on the PlayStation YouTube channel and another 15 million views on the Marvel channel.

The story trailer from 1 month ago has 13 million views...

So where is the disconnect?

I think it comes down to a few things
  • Despite the successful trailers, Sony really hasn't done much to advertise the game (yet)
  • What we have seen subjectively isn't enough to get excited about
    • It feels like to some that this could have been a sequel on the PS4 albeit there is more detail density and better lighting, nothing we've seen so far suggests this couldn't have been cross-gen
  • I think many of us had the expectation that this would take the PS5 to a new level graphically since it was a major Sony studio
  • The gameplay also doesn't look like anything different

I think one thing the game needs to do really well is tandem Spider-Men. I think we've seen in Spider-Man No Way Home and Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse that there are so many options when it comes to what fighting with tandem Spider-Men can look like and we haven't seen much of that on display in the more recent trailers (the announce trailer had more of it). It can't just be you have the option to play as Peter or Miles.

I'm fully expecting a massive advertising campaign to start probably in about 10 days (the month leading up to release) and it was very similar to God of War Ragnarok, but I'm really hoping this game pushes things further than Ragnarok did.

I think maybe Insomniac hurt themselves with the release of Miles Morales and Spider-Man Remastered. Obviously, not financially, but from an expectations perspective. Obviously, all 3 games are going to chart in the top 20 for October. I strongly think that if they had removed the Mary Jane segments from the first game and some of the more annoying puzzles that they seem determined to put in all of their games, as well as some of the boring side quests and chores, the first game would have been closer to a real GOTY contender (yes I know it was nominated).

They've got a strong template here for Spider-Man 2, but I think the template is what is dampening the hype despite the fact that this game is going to sell 15+ million copies.
I am confused. You cite viewership numbers which is the only real data that can correlate to hype and they are strong. Are you expecting threads here or something? Nobody gives a fuck about posting about a game they know they will play in ~ 40 days when they are currently playing Starfield or BG3 or any other game in the mountain of releases we have had this year.

Personally I already bought the digital version of Spider-Man 2 and will have to argue with my youngest as to why we are playing Mario Wonder first.

Not really, i wait for all the team to show their work.

Morales, ratchet and sunset are all 7 imo, spidey can be an 8 only if you are a die hard spidey fanboy, for everyone else is just an ubisoft open world with good (but derivative) combat and a decent story.

You are never gonna get a gow 2018 or tlou1 from insomniac, or even a controversial game from them that people absolutely hated or absolutely loved like days gone, they are the definition of "ok" with high production values.
Opinions vary, hopefully you enjoy Spider-Man 2.

Zimmy68

The precedent has been set.
Was Horizon Forbidden West like Dawn?
Was God of War Ragnarök like GOW?
I expect the exact same from Spider-Man.
Exact same game with new skills and features.
I'm OK with that. Who cares?
I just don't understand why it took so long to make.

Eliciel

I'll play it one day, but there is for sure no more day 1 hype for me for the Spiderman games etc. I need some change..

I am confused. You cite viewership numbers which is the only real data that can correlate to hype and they are strong. Are you expecting threads here or something? Nobody gives a fuck about posting about a game they know they will play in ~ 40 days when they are currently playing Starfield or BG3 or any other game in the mountain of releases we have had this year.

Personally I already bought the digital version of Spider-Man 2 and will have to argue with my youngest as to why we are playing Mario Wonder first.

Not sure if you read the entire OP, but Spider-Man has gotten similar but actually greater than views than Zelda, yet Zelda was significantly more hyped. Everyone knew they were going to play Zelda too, so not sure your theory works.

God of War was similar but got significantly more discussion as well.

Robb

Gold Member
Going by trailer views to account for hype doesn’t seem very reliable. Spider-Man 2 won’t outsell Zelda, despite having loads more views.

I’m sure there’s lots of excitement for it, people love Spider-Man. Advertisement will increase closer to release and it’ll sell a ton. I’m very much looking forward to it myself.

The same goes for Super Mario Bros. Wonder, which I guess also doesn’t ‘seem’ hyped.

Last edited:
Lets be honest. This game is gonna sell like gangbusters lol. Idk where itll rank for the year but would i be surprised if it outsold Hogwarts and Totk. Absolutely not. There is something to be said about the install base of ps5 compared to Switch and remember Hogwarts is also on previous gen. Im not knowledgeable of the sales on current gen for Hogwarts as opposed to previous gen. But i think it just comes down to whether or not you like the first two insomniac Spiderman games. And how would you like them to revolutionize the formula ? I think its safe to say the first one and mile morales are easily the two best spiderman games ever made and people who loved them just want more even if they dont do much different formulaically. Also thats not to say they cant be improved but god those first two games were really damn good lol and people who are invested want to see where it goes narratively including myself and i realize there seem to be some similiar story tropes at play but im not gonna judge it until i actually see how it plays out. But for you to think this game doesnt have hype is laughable lol the game will sell extremely well so yes i think your post will age poorly. Dont know if your op but if you are thats what i meant. Platform agnostic btw no fanboyism here. Own all platforms.

You clearly didn't read the OP.

No where did I say this was going to sell more than Hogwarts. I said I expect Spider-Man 2 to sell 25+ million units in line with the first one. So not sure how this is going to age well.

Try reading more than thread titles.

Do you really think the HYPEEEEEEE on internet forums is important to Sony when it's about to become the best-selling first-party game in its 30-year history?

The answer is, it's all relative.

I bet you don't think there is any difference between selling 25 million copies and 30 million copies.

Selling at 70 dollars vs selling at 45-50 dollars.

Valonquar

I enjoyed the first game and expansion, but they were Ubisoft-like map icons cut\paste all over the place and got very very repetitive by the end. I think they would be better games overall if they cut out a lot of that shit and made something with much tighter storytelling and less repetition.

Interfectum

I remember similar discussions before Tears of the Kingdom came out. The hype train will be full steam if the game reviews well... just wait. We'll be sick of the hype machine by the time the game is two weeks old.

Last edited:

Arachnid

It's Spidey so it will sell well regardless.

That said, I'm not personally hyped because it looks like more of the same. The combat got pretty tedious in the first game for me, and this doesn't really look any different. It doesn't look like they changed anything about the swinging either other than adding the wing suit. I'm also not a fan of Venom not being Eddie Brock. If you aren't going to properly adapt a villain, don't adapt them at all. If they really wanted Harry to be the villain so badly, he should be Goblin. I'd also have preferred to play as just Peter. No interest in playing as Miles (or MJ, for that matter; hope that's done). The first game was already an icon mess of repeating side missions, and all the boss fights were QTE fests with enemies repeating the same 2-3 moves in the parts you control.

I'm sure it'll be fun, but I don't see it being a 9-10/10 game. Most likely going to be in the 8 range and be a fun experience, which is fine. Nothing ground breaking.

I think there are just so many games people can get hyped for before it gets exhausting. I believe it's fatigue tbh. How am I supposed to be hyped be every single game when even reviewers, people who play games for a living, can't keep up with everything that comes out? We got to the point that there are just too many games coming at once that it's inevitable some will be left behind or be overshadowed by others.

I'm not saying Spiderman 2 is the case but I won't be surprised if it underperforms at launch. I'm almost sure it'll sell well regardless, however, I do agree Sony needs to market it heavily in the upcoming weeks.

These are just some of the bigger releases of the upcoming weeks leading up until Spiderman 2:
  • The Crew Motorfest - September 11;
  • Mortal Kombat 1 - September 14;
  • Payday 3 - September 18;
  • Lies of P - September 19;
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty - September 26;
  • Assassin's Creed Mirage - October 5;
  • Lords of The Fallen - October 13;
From the list above I'll be "playing" three games: MK1, Lies of P, and Lords of the Fallen. I have Spiderman 2 on my wishlist but I won't be buying it day-1, I won't have time and can catch up with the story later just will have to avoid any discussion when it comes out.

And these are just the BIG name games coming out. There are things like a new Sonic game with Sonic Superstars, Wo Long's DLC, a new Harvest Moon game, NHL 2024, etc. There are too many games for too little time. It's one hell of a time to be a gamer but it's tiring.

Last edited:
It just looks so same-y. And also there's this general sense of Marvel/ superhero fatigue. I think there are some unfortunate factors like that working against it, despite it probably being such a high-quality title. We'll see how it does!

Maybe Sony has no confident. Its releasing on the same date as Mario Wonders, after all
Nah, I don't think either company cares much about that. Also this was dated way before Wonder. But I don't think a superhero open world action game and 2d sidescroller platformer are much competition with each other.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I think the lack of hype comes from knowing what to expect from the game. The previous Spider-man games from Insomniac are so good that it's hard to imagine what could really make them any better. Also, I imagine there is some fatigue when it comes to the game's formula (we've seen it a LOT). I'm sure it will review well and be an excellent game, but it's hard to get hyped about it when you know exactly what to expect.

small_law

I want Resistance, not Spiderman.
I think we're the only ones that do though. I've got to break out my PS3 and give the first Resistance game another playthrough. The second and third games didn't land for me, but that first game was a standout. Punched way above its weight and not just in that "good for a launch title" way.

First game was overrated trash complete with SJW self inserts.

Top Bottom