• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Larian Studios confirm they are working hard on optimizing Baldur's Gate 3, Photo Mode in the works.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Baldur's Gate III has been available on PC since August and recently arrived on PS5, and unfortunately just like most releases in 2023, it presents some performance problems that make it difficult to play in some cases

According to users, the situation becomes extremely complicated when reaching Act 3, where performance drops completely, both on high-end PCs and also on the PS5, as Digital Foundry's technical analysis said.

The good news is that Larian Studios has confirmed on social media that the development team is working right now on optimizing the RPG on PC and PS5. Details were shared by Swen Vincke and Very AFK.
They had some setbacks but our code team is getting closer and closer to achieving the performance they originally aimed for - I think they'll manage to surprise everyone still. They're very motivated.

Now feels like a good time to say even better performance improvements are on the horizon the engineers working on this really had an impossible task, and I’m thrilled people think they nailed it

Lastly, Swen Vincke confirms that Larian Studios is also working with Photo Mode, as it is currently "on the studio roster". This option is highly requested by the community.

Last edited:

Tsaki

The game seems to be primarily CPU bound on PS5 so if they want to improve the performance they'd have to build "better" code for the game. Certainly not impossible and pretty commendable, but it won't be easy.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Aren't they supposed to be working on Series S?

Either way, I'll be interested to see how the PS5 version performs versus the Series X at launch and what happens with subsequent updates, or if these improvements translate from the outset.

Mister Wolf

They should add Frame Generation into Baldur's Gate. Instant benefit to all 4000 Series owners since this game is turn based and won't be affected by added latency.

Last edited:

Fbh

Stuff like this is why if you are immune to FOMO it's almost never worth it to buy stuff day 1 (unless you specifically want to support the dev).
Even games that launch in a decent state tend to get better after a few months.

TonyK

I hope it will add those improvements when it releases on Xbox. Although I admit that I would buy it even if it runs like shit.

nowhat

Stuff like this is why if you are immune to FOMO it's almost never worth it to buy stuff day 1 (unless you specifically want to support the dev).
Even games that launch in a decent state tend to get better after a few months.
I'm currently in act 3 and are there performance issues traversing areas with lots of NPCs, yes. Has it detracted me from enjoying the game, hell no, it's just sublime.

The bear stuff is quite tame really, I've experienced some debauchery I really didn't see coming. But come (hah!) it did. Larian, a lovely bunch of perverts you are.

Honestly kudos for this guy to be this talkative on social media. Can't be easy tbh.
As a PS5 player i'm going to wait maybe until the fall to buy this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Good to hear, hopefully they've patched the game a few more times by the time it launches on Xbox.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You can just press F10 on PC and hide all the UI easily. Theres also camera mods on nexus, if you guys are so desperate for a photo mode.

twilo99

I hope it will add those improvements when it releases on Xbox. Although I admit that I would buy it even if it runs like shit.

The series s and x version will "do the job" for gamers without a high end gaming PC.

calistan

Good to hear, hopefully they've patched the game a few more times by the time it launches on Xbox.
It gets patched at least once a week. I don't know what the point of early access was if there's still this much stuff left to fix immediately after "launch".

That said, it runs great on my PC, and the missing epilogues haven't been an issue for me, given that I'm nowhere near the end.

Cyberpunkd

Honestly kudos for this guy to be this talkative on social media. Can't be easy tbh.
As a PS5 player i'm going to wait maybe until the fall to buy this.
I would prefer him to talk less and spend more time fixing the game. I understand it was a logical gamble to polish Act 1 & 2 since majority of people will play this, but still feel scummy.

Also F U for delaying Mac release.

MarkMe2525

Either way, I'll be interested to see how the PS5 version performs versus the Series X at launch and what happens with subsequent updates, or if these improvements translate from the outset.
I imagine any optimizations will benefit the Series S as well as the other versions.

Kataploom

Gold Member

I think Series S problems with split screen are just base code optimization issues, since it runs badly in late game in every platform and MS promised the feature will be coming later anyway, so this might just be a matter of priorities, they'll focus on optimizing the game and then the rest will come.

Luipadre

I would prefer him to talk less and spend more time fixing the game. I understand it was a logical gamble to polish Act 1 & 2 since majority of people will play this, but still feel scummy.

Also F U for delaying Mac release.

They patching BG weekly since PC release. They already released 6 hotfixes and 2 huge patches. Come on now

Senua

Photo mode + nudity option = this game is going places. And I'm so there.
I feel bad for the nude modders

To Do List Nothing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

The Series S issues stem from Split-Screen, which for now it simply wont have.
In the CPU bound situation I doubt youll see much difference between the Series X and PS5.
They should add Frame Generation into Baldur's Gate. Instant benefit to all 4000 Series owners since this game is turn based and won't be affected by added latency.
FrameGeneration under 30fps is actually worse than just playing the game at ~30fps.
Ghosting and latency out the ass.
But for every section that actually gets to ~60fps, sure they can add FrameGeneration.

fatmarco

Did the game get marked down in any reviews for its performance issues / being unfinished? Or is that just an arbitrarily applied negative?

Fbh

I'm currently in act 3 and are there performance issues traversing areas with lots of NPCs, yes. Has it detracted me from enjoying the game, hell no, it's just sublime.

The bear stuff is quite tame really, I've experienced some debauchery I really didn't see coming. But come (hah!) it did. Larian, a lovely bunch of perverts you are.

It's not that the game is bad now, it's just that it's likely going to be even better in a few months.
That's the thing with the current update and patching culture, broken games sometimes get fixed, but even good games just tend to get better over time.

I guess if this is literally the only game someone is interested in then it makes sense to play it ASAP. But personally I don't see any downside with waiting a few months to buy it, at which point I'll probably have an even better experience than I would have now and I might even pay less for it.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Did the game get marked down in any reviews for its performance issues / being unfinished? Or is that just an arbitrarily applied negative?

Well, some games get away with having tons of bugs or taking 10+ hours before they get anywhere, while others get raked over the coals for it. So, maybe.

Meicyn

Gold Member
FWIW, crossplay is also coming for multiplayer. Which is great because some of my friends are on other platforms and I’d love to play a campaign with them.

So they admit that they didn't work hard on it before.

Like many devs before. Cash in first. Fix the shit later.

Imagine a roofer who completes the roof with holes and only seals the holey roof after months.

p0MqgVr.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What have we learnt this generation?

Anything that's not on nintendo switch, buy it 6 months after launch and you'll be buzzing.

I've got it in my head now that the release date is like 6 months after lol.

If I really want to support the game, I'll just buy it and wait to play.

I bought the game despite my concerns. I'm sure the fps drops will piss me off but initially game makes a great first impression on ps5. Graphics better than I expected. Feels snappy gameplay wise and load times were really fast ..like 5 -10 sec tops

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What have we learnt this generation?

Anything that's not on nintendo switch, buy it 6 months after launch and you'll be buzzing.

I've got it in my head now that the release date is like 6 months after lol.

If I really want to support the game, I'll just buy it and wait to play.
You are still getting sub-30 games on the Switch.

Top Bottom