• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

leaked Insomniac inclusivity training video

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've personally never understood studios going this route at all. I can certainly understand wanting to "get things right" when working on projects that contain different ethnicities and cultures. It's certainly important. But, doing such a thing shouldn't be this absolutely insane and costly process. But, it is the standard for large studios. They just look for more things to throw money at. Definitely makes things feel more unnatural or forced IMO.

I will always appreciate when all things come from a natural and honest place. Rather than something that feels pander-y or forced. It just really hinders whatever product it touches in the end IMO.
Money.

If they can make a game that sparks interest among the entire spectrum (for some studios it's the racial/gender demographic metric), it's like hitting a home run because one game can cover it all.

Nice to know Insomniac will hire me as a consultant if I buy a dress and say I'm an expert. Good to have back up plans
I'll hire you too, but not as a consultant if you know what I mean...

news wink GIF

kiphalfton

Gold Member
As an "minority" i find this shit so fucking weird. What's wrong with you guys in America with all of this bullshit

Probably in an attempt to try and not offend marginalized groups? Hard to say.

Last edited:
Money.

If they can make a game that sparks interest among the entire spectrum (for some studios it's the racial/gender demographic metric), it's like hitting a home run because one game can cover it all.
It isn't money. Look at how Disney just keeps doubling down despite losing money hand over fist. It's about being a good person, doing the right thing, and sending the right message. And having your social group pat you on the back.

'The road to hell is paved with good intentions' is ancient wisdom.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Funny thing is Sony/Insomniac are hiring diversity experts to flesh out their game among the masses. In which the leaked slides even say you should have more diverse people to contribute to making that minority character.

What they can do is just hire more diverse people. Problem solved. Yet, I bet Insomniac is almost all white people.

Dr.Morris79

I watched like 6 min of it and turned it off.

There's one hilarious part where they very bluntly and proudly state they arent making this for white people. I just had to face palm on that one.
These people are racist fucking lunatics

They can eat shit if they think they're getting anymore of my 'white' money

Fuck these guys

I would suggest others do the same, but so many love this shite.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
These people are racist fucking lunatics

They can eat shit if they think they're getting anymore of my 'white' money

Fuck these guys

I would suggest others do the same, but so many love this shite.
They are attempting to be inclusive...why do you think this is racist?

It's picked out because it's relevant to the thread? At least in Uncharted, you have Nathan Drake without an ounce of military training mowing down hundreds of highly trained mercenaries. That Nadine Ross beats his ass isn't any crazier than the absolutely insane feats he performs. But in TLOU where they strive to make things realistic, they hit us with bullshit like that.

Point is, Naughty Dog isn't any less "woke" than Insomniac. Whether it's a problem or not or bothers you is a whole other story.

Nate's mowing down mercenaries and Ellie and Joel are wiping out thug occupied settlements like it's dominos

I think we need to stop the obsession with holding them to this realistic standard when they're always taking massive liberties regardless of what they say

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I love how they lump black people in with the gays.

I'm sure they love that.
LOL.

When it comes to groups feeling oppressed, banding up gives strength in numbers. No different than the LBTQ+ community always being portrayed as one cohesive group, yet there can be infighting among the acronyms.

If minority groups are separated they lose power if treated as silos.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

They are attempting to be inclusive...why do you think this is racist?
I was brought up on being colour blind, it was great until a few years ago, yet here we are, race race race, victim victim victim.

Before these indoctrination sessions companies are now forced to partake in and force down creative peoples throats was there never a black, Asian or gay guy that liked Star Wars/Videogames/Films?

Now let me ask you a question.

Do you consider today's society better because of all this, or worse?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Most women are not offended by attractive video games characters. It is a small group of women taking it upon themselves to speak for everybody of their gender.
Totally.

If women in general hated women being portrayed as too sexy in media, the Barbie movie would had bombed, every female in the world would hate Margot Robbie, and ticket sales would be all kids and guys. And all women's clothing, shoes and jewelry stores would go broke because every ad you see from them shows good looking women wearing their stuff.

But in reality that's never true.

Woggleman

Gold Member
And a small group of men speaking for women. Ironic.
Exactly. A bit off topic but a few years ago I was in a room with my wife a few of her friends and a guy who is soft of a male feminist. I made a comment that I hit the trifecta with her because she is hot, she is very intelligent and she is a genuinely good person. The male feminist gets all offended and accuses me of objectifying her but every woman in the room took my side and thought it was great that I thought so highly of her.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Exactly. A bit off topic but a few years ago I was in a room with my wife a few of her friends and a guy who is soft of a male feminist. I made a comment that I hit the trifecta with her because she is hot, she is very intelligent and she is a genuinely good person. The male feminist gets all offended and accuses me of objectifying her but every woman in the room took my side and thought it was great that I thought so highly of her.
"Male feminists" are predators.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I agree with them when it comes to Miles. He should have an NYC accent, he doesn't sound like a black New Yorker at all. No NY slang, nothing. It would feel much more engaging if he spoke the part.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I was brought up on being colour blind, it was great until a few years ago, yet here we are, race race race, victim victim victim.

Before these indoctrination sessions companies are now forced to partake in and force down creative peoples throats was there never a black, Asian or gay guy that liked Star Wars/Videogames/Films?

Now let me ask you a question.

Do you consider today's society better because of all this, or worse?
I consider the fact that for a century, there was very little representation for minorities. When there was some representation it was often negative or derogatory in some way. So I can appreciate the effort, though it's not perfect and sometimes it's implemented poorly, but I can appreciate the effort in SOME cases. I do not think that inclusivity should ostracize any race. It should not mean avoiding fanfare to white people. I think that's where a lot of these companies get it wrong. You can't exclude white folks and still be inclusive. It's almost like they are compensating for times before when that's not necessary.

I don't think it's ever cut and dry. There's always gonna be that one example people can lean on to "prove" their case.

For me, as a black man, I feel society is better than those days. But I'm viewing it from a different perspective. I was raised differently, had different life experiences than what I would imagine you've had.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Difficult to support these inclusivity movements when it's always to the detriment of other groups

The Latinx nonsense, trans radicals trying to wipe out women spaces, normalising antisemitism so we don't offend everything Muslims believe in etc
Yea it's done poorly. I think the LBGTQ+ community is also compensating heavily. The goal with inclusivity is to be seen as part of society, not be a blinding light to it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Most women are not offended by attractive video games characters. It is a small group of women taking it upon themselves to speak for everybody of their gender.
Going back to this. When MMOs were the big rage from 2000-2010 timeframe, we had a lot of female gamers in the guild, naturally. So when an MMO was messing up badly after years of investment, and we would make the decision to try out a new one or beta one, one of the major requirements for the women in the guild were MMOs "where they can make beautiful female characters." They did not want to be ugly duff women.

I chuckle at that looking back all these years later.

Top Bottom