• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

leaked Insomniac inclusivity training video

Interfectum

I watched like 6 min of it and turned it off.

There's one hilarious part where they very bluntly and proudly state they arent making this for white people. I just had to face palm on that one.
They are going to be shitting their pants when “white people” walk away from their games like they are all doing with Disney movies/shows. Should probably not alienate your main audience.

If Sony sticks with Miles as their main character for Spider-Man 3, I predict it will be, by far, the worst selling mainline game In the new series.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Yes. They, going by their fisticuffs history of fighting tons of male mercs and even Brock Lesnar sized merc brutes all around the world, would have grabbed her by her big hair and tossed her around like a ragdoll if not choked her out in seconds. No matter "how trained" she was. In the real world. Since they too have trained experience.

But, the game was movie magic/action flic, and we did have Cynthia Rothrock in the 80s. So I have no issue with the girl boss scene, since it's not the real world.
fair enough

Fbh

'most people appreciate when familiar characters get remade' (aka the little mermaid). Lmao in what world do they live!?? Most people, rightfully so, hate that shit.

See I think this is a big part of the problem.
They seem to be "consulting" with an extremely narrow group of ideologically identical people. It's not about, for example, "what's important to the latino community", it's about "what's important to the extremely left wing, liberal woke latino community".

That's how you end up with stuff like the gender neutral talk in the latin-american spanish localization and which almost everyone hates, because they seem to be exclusively consulting with the tiny group of people who unironically use the gender neutral "elle" pronouns, like even most of my very liberal friends make fun of that shit.

It's as if you were writing an article about what people really think about J.K Rowling but you are doing 100% of your research on Resetera.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Do you have a problem when John Wick beats up ten guys at the same time?

The fact that you are not willing to suspend your disbelief because "women" but are willing to suspend your disbelief when it's a male character isn't a good look.

Read the room? You seem woefully out of touch.

Couldn’t care less if that’s what you think to be honest.

You get what you deserve so if you’re one of those who’s happy having this drivel spoon fed in to your slack mouth by all means carry on. Personally I’ll continue to seek out alternate media instead.

shamoomoo

That isn't true though. The whole thing started because of unconscious bias because 'many game developers and creatives were predominantly white and middle class'. No one was sitting there tabling ideas that were specifically targeted at whites, and deliberately excluding blacks.or asians etc. There was no vindictiveness in the outcomes. And by the by most people were receptive to adding a little more balance.

What we have now is making games with conscious bias and with vindictiveness, with the sole aim of 'getting back at whitey'. Which is why the product is so creatively bankrupt and most comes across as trashy fan fiction when it appears. The product and fiction is actually being hurt and undermined.

You couple this to the fact that when representation is attempted all these people bleat on about how it isn't accurate or real. Frey, Barrett, Cyberpunk 2077, Miles and so mamy more examples.
But there are issues that can affect all of us. Also, people are going to be biased towards their lived experience especially with regards to group projects where most of the staff have similar backgrounds.

Gaiff pointed out the issue some Dude had with Ellie because of her sexual orientation, overall I'm impartial to LGBTQ issues outside of Black ones. As a non-white or non-LGBTQ person I can empathize with wanting to be accepted or left alone for something that isn't a real problem,but I don't care about non-Black people issues with regards to everything.

Again, look at Capcom and how most of their non-Japanese games lead characters aren't reflective of the racial diversity in the U.S.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Couldn’t care less if that’s what you think to be honest.

You get what you deserve so if you’re one of those who’s happy having this drivel spoon fed in to your slack mouth by all means carry on. Personally I’ll continue to seek out alternate media instead.

Ok? Congrats? Happy for you?

I don't tie my masculinity on whether or not the Drake brothers could lose a fight against a trained female soldier who looked in shape. The game did enough to make it believable, it was fun. It made you think it was questioning your manhood, uh, ok... I guess alternate media could be a fix.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ok? Congrats? Happy for you?

I don't tie my masculinity on whether or not the Drake brothers could lose a fight against a trained female soldier who looked in shape. The game did enough to make it believable, it was fun. It made you think it was questioning your manhood, uh, ok... I guess alternate media could be a fix.
Neither do I. I’m just happy to call it retarded. Hope that clears things up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Divide and conquer.
Steve Bannon Bingo GIF

Interfectum

Thats explains a fucking lot. What they did with Spider-man 2 should be a crime. What disgusts me more is people still pretending this doesn't exist.
Agreed. I actually really liked playing the game and loved the graphics but holy shit it was a struggle to get through the story. The ending scenes with Peter groveling to MJ was so goddamn cringe… Jesus fuck.

Not surprising in the slightest. Insomniac really embraced it and ran with it. Their best output is behind them IMO. Clearly they are still one of the best studios in the planet but the gameplay loop just doesn't interest me and the forced social narrative is an automatic pass. No way I'm slogging through that kind of stuff.

Woggleman

Gold Member
The other thing I don't get is that they act like they are doing something revolutionary when almost three decades ago people were playing as Lara Croft and Samus and movies with black leads like Blade and Independence Day were crushing it at the box office with no controversy. They act like everything made before 2010 is some Jim Crow era movie where only cis het white males were allowed to have any good roles.

cormack12

Gold Member
The other thing I don't get is that they act like they are doing something revolutionary when almost three decades ago people were playing as Lara Croft and Samus and movies with black leads like Blade and Independence Day were crushing it at the box office with no controversy. They act like everything made before 2010 is some Jim Crow era movie where only cis het white males were allowed to have any good roles.
1997:

hq720.jpg

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
What's the problem? She's in shape, she's trained, she's like a special ops merc. You have a problem with this?

But you don't have a problem with small dudes beating the shit of bigger dudes I bet, or Nathan Drake killing hundreds of trained ex military mercs.

You're just showing your ass now.
No he isn’t and in 21 years in the Marine Corps I’ve never seen a female Marine take down a male Marine. It isn’t happening stop. Even if she was trained and a body builder it doesn’t change the fact that she has to take a punch from a man, she will get worked over on the ground in the mount and get her face beat in and dead if the enemy wanted it.

Why do some folks live in this reality where women can take on men in real life and kill them? However, I’ve had plenty of smaller Marines drop bigger ones.

I’m not getting into the gaming side as I don’t really care, but I read this an almost fell out of my chair and was seriously embarrassed that someone truly believes this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As they're being manipulated in ushering in a "Jim Crow 2.0" (sound familiar?) with self-segregation and their very own collectivism flags over a united country of origin flag.

Well I guess if it makes it more difficult for people and businesses to make money due to wasting time and resources on this crap then having everyone being controlled via financial means isn't too far off.

Just one more crash.
And one world currency ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Senua

Gold Member
Not surprising in the slightest. Insomniac really embraced it and ran with it. Their best output is behind them IMO. Clearly they are still one of the best studios in the planet but the gameplay loop just doesn't interest me and the forced social narrative is an automatic pass. No way I'm slogging through that kind of stuff.
Wait What Wtf GIF by Saturday Night Live

Thirty7ven

Banned
You should seek help son. You gonna find a lot of people in real life that disagree with you in many subjects, not only games.

Yeah and in this very thread I’ve talked about right and wrong ways to approach characters.

TLOU2 does it right. Spider-Man 2 does it wrong.

If you have an universal problem against the concept of a female character in “clearly not trying to be real life” videogame beating the brakes of two male characters, then something’s wrong with your worldview.

Somehow the same guy would have a problem with this:

But not this

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Explains so much, but the writing was on the wall for a long time. Literally!!!!!1

miles-scaled.jpg
Game companies dont do this unless there's an end goal of positive PR or money (unless a company is the dumbest on Earth trying to sabotage their own products).

You never know. Maybe sales from the Black community shot up 30%!

Thirty7ven

Banned
No he isn’t and in 21 years in the Marine Corps I’ve never seen a female Marine take down a male Marine. It isn’t happening stop. Even if she was trained and a body builder it doesn’t change the fact that she has to take a punch from a man, she will get worked over on the ground in the mount and get her face beat in and dead if the enemy wanted it.

Why do some folks live in this reality where women can take on men in real life and kill them? However, I’ve had plenty of smaller Marines drop bigger ones.

I’m not getting into the gaming side as I don’t really care, but I read this an almost fell out of my chair and was seriously embarrassed that someone truly believes this.

In real life Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune would be about Nathan Drake dying on that boat ten minutes into the story.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Game companies dont do this unless there's an end goal of positive PR or money (unless a company is the dumbest on Earth trying to sabotage their own products).

You never know. Maybe sales from the Black community shot up 30%!
Not that long ago, Beer company fucked around and found out. Even gutted their entire marketing DEI shit responsible and are starting to put out normal just drink beer commercials again.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What transgender character in the Last Of Us:part 2? I didn't play the game but I did see a long play through and I don't recall anything about a trans character,I might be misremembering them.
There's a character name Lev who is transgender. There was quite a bit of controversy surrounding him because Naughty Dog apparently, "deadnamed" him at some point. I'm surprised you haven't seen him because he's a major character in Abby's story.
The highlighted part about Abby is a non-issue because the game is fictional and it's not like the game is taking place in the 17-1800s,the knowledge to manufacture certain products would still exist even if it was less efficient or practical.
The game is very much grounded in reality. In a world where people scrounge up scraps to survive and delve in ruins to find food, ain't no one got enough time, money, and supplements to get buff. If it were Fallout which has a whacky post-apocalyptic vibes with crazy shit, I wouldn't bat an eye. But in a game that's all about survival and gathering resources to stay alive, this is just dumb. It screams, "see, women can be strong too!" like they did with Nadine Ross kicking the Drake brothers' asses but this worked a lot better because Uncharted is a lot more over-the-top than TLOU.

Top Bottom