• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Leaked] Silent Hill: Ascension Story Mode Possibility Scene (SDCC 2023 Footage)

It's kind of sad how we loved horror games in the 2000s knowing the future would finally come, and yearned for better graphics at the time to basically match what was otherwise an amazing and new experience. Now we are capable of this with the modern technology, yet the games that companies put out are usually quite mediocre.

That's so odd. Games from 1998 are always going to be better than half of today's pedestrian shit, surely. Yet the graphics look so old.

The moment you said "AAA-profit", all bets are off. It doesn't matter if it's RE or Call of Duty.
This...this simply isn't true. Deep down, you know this is not true. There are platitudes to everything, even AAA sales and profit. Monster Hunter World and Resident Evil are known to sell great and are AAA titles, but even Capcom wouldn't be crazy enough to think that any of their games would be on the same level as a Grand Theft Auto or a CoD game. Every publisher hopes for such a thing, but they also usually make reasonable and realistic projections of launch and lifetime sales numbers. You're literally named two games that take up the top 10 earners in terms of Console/PC video games. CoD and GTA should not even be in this conversation because they're above all other AAA aside from maybe FIFA(EA FC), Madden, or NBA2k...by a large margin. Logically, you have to see this, right?

To expect that kind of success from a niche product says more about the company than the developer is supposed to make it.
Someone there clearly did reasonable projections and if we look at the sales numbers on the original SH 2, it would make sense that they're spearheading everything with a remake to get interest back into the I.P. The same goes with MGS Delta and the MGS Collection. I doubt that Delta is just a one-off project. They want to gauge interest and go from there.

yanhash

Only thing I hear
Kes2dDV.png

Kakax11

Banned
My opinion on this game will be heavily effected by the composer, if it's my dog Akira Yamaoka then the game will be straight fire

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This seems like Western BS, but isn't at least one of the new Silent Hill games (F?) going to be Japanese developed?

This...this simply isn't true. Deep down, you know this is not true. There are platitudes to everything, even AAA sales and profit. Monster Hunter World and Resident Evil are known to sell great and are AAA titles, but even Capcom wouldn't be crazy enough to think that any of their games would be on the same level as a Grand Theft Auto or a CoD game. Every publisher hopes for such a thing, but they also usually make reasonable and realistic projections of launch and lifetime sales numbers. You're literally named two games that take up the top 10 earners in terms of Console/PC video games. CoD and GTA should not even be in this conversation because they're above all other AAA aside from maybe FIFA(EA FC), Madden, or NBA2k...by a large margin. Logically, you have to see this, right?

Someone there clearly did reasonable projections and if we look at the sales numbers on the original SH 2, it would make sense that they're spearheading everything with a remake to get interest back into the I.P. The same goes with MGS Delta and the MGS Collection. I doubt that Delta is just a one-off project. They want to gauge interest and go from there.
But that's exactly what your scenario is implying. To get Silent Hill to reach AAA profit is no different then Capcom expecting Street Fighter to reach COD heights. The jump for Silent Hill to even reach AA profit is such a jump, you'd be insane to even think of even suggesting the baseline AAA results. They might as well aim for the moon with that logic.

Last edited:
But that's exactly what your scenario is implying. To get Silent Hill to reach AAA profit is no different then Capcom expecting Street Fighter to reach COD heights.
Can you find me the quote where Capcom expected Street Fighter to reach CoD or GTA levels of sales? You're playing devil's advocate here but the foundation of your argument is flawed to begin with because of the two examples you are using. If you had simply used other examples instead of constantly pointing back to CoD or GTA, I would easily agree with you. However, the fact that you're sticking to those two I.P. in a stubborn way to prove a point, it's doing the opposite for you by making your argument much weaker.

All you had to say was 'I don't think Silent Hill 2 will sell as much as something like Resident Evil 2 Remake' and I would have said 'you're probably right'.

The jump for Silent Hill to even reach AA profit is such a jump, you'd be insane to even think of even suggesting the baseline AAA results. They might as well aim for the moon with that logic.
Konami remaking Silent Hill 2 is about as reasonable and as logical as Capcom remaking Resident Evil 2. There is no aiming for the moon here. Both titles are the safest bets they could make in terms of AAA remakes that could sell 1 million+. Aiming for the moon would be Konami thinking they could sell 30 million+ like Grand Theft Auto 5 or Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1/2.

I like this back and forth conversation we're having but let's let go of CoD and GTA so that we can have a real discussion here.

Can you find me the quote where Capcom expected Street Fighter to reach CoD or GTA levels of sales? You're playing devil's advocate here but the foundation of your argument is flawed to begin with because of the two examples you are using. If you had simply used other examples instead of constantly pointing back to CoD or GTA, I would easily agree with you. However, the fact that you're sticking to those two I.P. in a stubborn way to prove a point, it's doing the opposite for you by making your argument much weaker.

All you had to say was 'I don't think Silent Hill 2 will sell as much as something like Resident Evil 2 Remake' and I would have said 'you're probably right'.

Konami remaking Silent Hill 2 is about as reasonable and as logical as Capcom remaking Resident Evil 2. There is no aiming for the moon here. Both titles are the safest bets they could make in terms of AAA remakes that could sell 1 million+. Aiming for the moon would be Konami thinking they could sell 30 million+ like Grand Theft Auto 5 or Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1/2.

I like this back and forth conversation we're having but let's let go of CoD and GTA so that we can have a real discussion here.
You've completely misread my entire argument. I'm giving a "what if" scenario for Capcom if they were to be.. as you call it "back against the wall".

As for the rest of the argumeents. Allow me to break it down for you so you can actually be on the same page:

This is what you said in your original statement:

Again, your back is still against the wall and you are tasked to make the company AAA-level profit.

AAA profit: We're talking Uncharted, Assassin's Creed AND YES, COD and GTA. They are AAA games with AAA profit.

Again, expecting Silent Hill to reach that level is what is problematic in that scenario. Even with the backing of MGS (which is a world apart in terms of popularity being one of the 2 biggest Konami IPs and without Kojima).

1 million sales is one thing. Expecting AAA -profit presented in your Konami example is another..

Last edited:
Isn't Gamescom this month? I therefore hope there will be genuine news about the state of the Silent Hill series at either Gamescom, or Tokyo Game Show in September.

Top Bottom