• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man, it's 2023 and I'm still yet to play my dream game - a sci-fi Diablo clone

Drizzlehell

Banned
The only two games that I ever found that even came close to what I want are these:
Space_Siege.jpg
3826083-warhammer-40000-inquisitor-martyr-xbox-one-front-cover.jpg

And sure, I guess there are some ultra low-budget games out there that sorta-kinda fill that gap by being very rudimentary hack and slash games set in a futuristic and sci-fi setting. But when all I have to work with is complete garbage like Space Hack, some forgotten Dungeon Siege clone, or a mediocre W40k game, then I'm not exactly being spoiled with the number of choices, you know?

Why hasn't anyone thought of making a game like this on a decent budget yet? Every hack and slash ARPG Diablo clone that's worth its salt is set in the same vaguely medieval fantasy setting, and while I don't have a problem with fantasy settings, the lack of creativity does grind my gears. It's like they're too afraid to be too different from Diablo, otherwise the game won't sell so they have to make it look exactly the same. All I'm asking for is that you replace knights with some space marines and have them fight Zergs on an alien planet.

In fact, Blizzard should get on the case and make a Starcraft ARPG. That's another idea that has been rattling around in my head for years now. They're not doing anything with Starcraft now, and it feels like it wouldn't even require that much effort for them because they already have the engine and assets from SC2. I would jump on a Starcraft-Diablo hybrid like a starved dog.

Drizzlehell

Banned
When was the last time you played Inquisitor? Because the game got reworked quite a bit since it first launched. Might be worth a revisit.
Recently, and I don't really see these big changes, it's still the same game. If anything I was even more disappointed with how badly it runs on PS5, when it was supposed to be this ultimate next-gen version or whatever but it can't even hold a stable frame rate.

I'd love a FPS Diablo too... something which nobody seems to be able to do.

We have looter shooters like Destiny and Division but last I played not everything could be done solo so doesn't really count. And not enough builds and gear variety (think D2 or Path of Exile but in FPS form)

OP just reminded me I have yet to play Inquisitor Martyr so should give that a shot. I have it on PS4 but maybe I should get it on PC for the best experience?

Last edited:

Hudo

I mean, Bill Roper himself tried with Hellgate: London and that was... mediocre at best. But I always thought that maybe, if they iterate on it, the third or fourth Hellgate could've been quite some game.

geary

We have looter shooters like Destiny and Division but last I played not everything could be done solo so doesn't really count. And not enough builds and gear variety (think D2 or Path of Exile but in FPS form)

OP just reminded me I have yet to play Inquisitor Martyr so should give that a shot. I have it on PS4 but maybe I should get it on PC for the best experience?
Warhammer Vermintide 2 could be the closest you get.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I mean, Bill Roper himself tried with Hellgate: London and that was... mediocre at best. But I always thought that maybe, if they iterate on it, the third or fourth Hellgate could've been quite some game.

Yeah, the problem is that these are all first or third-person shooters, while I would prefer something that mimics the gameplay of Diablo more closely, with an isometric view, decent enemy variety, randomized dungeons, etc. Also, I agree that character progression and customization don't feel as good, and even though looting bags and crates in The Division 2 is my cocaine, that legendary drop in Diablo is still second to none, lol.

Hudo

Yeah, the problem is that these are all first or third-person shooters, while I would prefer something that mimics the gameplay of Diablo more closely, with an isometric view, decent enemy variety, randomized dungeons, etc. Also, I agree that character progression and customization don't feel as good, and even though looting bags and crates in The Division 2 is my cocaine, that legendary drop in Diablo is still second to none, lol.
For me, I've found in NiOh2 what I was looking for in Diablo 4. Diablo 4 is just not enough "new stuff" for me, I could just play Diablo 2 Resurrected instead (and have a far better Diablo than Diablo 4 will ever be). I wanted Diablo 4 to be a more daring evolution. And NiOh 2 gives me that.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

It is 2023 and my dream game, Hi-Fi Rush was made and was exactly the same concept, gameplay, and art style I thought of years prior. This year has been good to me.

I think Helldivers 1 may interest you although it isn't centered around loot and it is a bit different gameplay wise. It is a top-down co-op shooter that released on PS4.

Zheph

Yeah sadly I tho Inquisitor wasn't good and just like you tried it recently to no effect

The Ascent isn't really scratching that but maybe give it a go?

Back when Housemarqe made games that I wanted to buy, they made several twin stick run around and kill things games.
Now they made one FPS game that I was Meh on and have not made anything since.

Ah I see The Ascent being mentioned. Yes get that. It's pretty good.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I think Helldivers 1 may interest you although it isn't centered around loot and it is a bit different gameplay wise. It is a top-down co-op shooter that released on PS4.
I tried that recently and couldn't even stand it for a full hour because of how quickly it descended into an endless loop of short and incredibly repetitive missions that made my dick soft.

And if I may go on a tangent here for a moment, I am just malding over the fact that stuff like this will actually get a next-gen sequel that got millions invested in production and marketing while other Sony IPs that are no doubt closer to hearts of countless players around the world, are still stuck in some last gen purgatory, never getting any kind of attention for any reason. I just wish that someone in that company would have a momentary lapse in idiotic malice, and spend a few dollars to bring classics like Killzone and Resistance to next gen consoles.

But what do I know? Helldivers is more important right now so fuck me, I guess.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
And if I may go on a tangent here for a moment, I am just malding over the fact that stuff like this will actually get a next-gen sequel that got millions invested in production and marketing while other Sony IPs that are no doubt closer to hearts of countless players around the world, are still stuck in some last gen purgatory, never getting any kind of attention for any reason. I just wish that someone in that company would have a momentary lapse in idiotic malice, and spend a few dollars to bring classics like Killzone and Resistance to next gen consoles.

We can only hope that Ryan's exit will open the door for these treasured franchises of the past to be resuscitated in some way.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sounds like you're looking for seminal 2001 game Zax The Alien Hunter.

I'm kidding, don't play this.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

KXVXII9X

I tried that recently and couldn't even stand it for a full hour because of how quickly it descended into an endless loop of short and incredibly repetitive missions that made my dick soft.

But what do I know? Helldivers is more important right now so fuck me, I guess.
I didn't mean to strike a nerve :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I too would like for more ignored Sony IPs to return. There are so many.

Corian33

Oh man, I remember when that was gonna be THE game. It was supposed to showcase whatever the new version of DirectX was at the time, was gonna be Diablo x10 and do all this amazing stuff. Then it came out and immediately died. Never played it myself.

Freeman76

I wish they didnt butcher Phantasy Star Online so badly with the sequel.

That game was soooo good. The world was so well built, the sci fi edge was spot on. The drop rates were low enough to make repeated runs exciting. The gradual increase in difficulty from normal to ultimate was very addictive.

If they had kept that essence and made a sequel along those lines we would have what you're looking for. Instead they created some bullshit online shopping center, with a shit loot system and zero focus apart from showing as much skin as possible without appearing to be a pervert.

Whoever the people were at Sonicteam back in the DC/GC era should get together and make a true PSO again, but it will never happen unfortunately.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
ah i see, never jammed it as i said, but i just remember them really pushing the loot side of the game in marketing.

so more like alienation? (which was great)
It's similar yes. Maybe not as chaotic. I think Ascent is singleplayer only too.

Edit: Nevermind it is multiplayer. Has a co-op mode.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click

Boring man. Play some proper sci-fi RPGs.

Space Wreck comes out Oct 10 and Colony Ship before the years up.

drotahorror

That one is too small i think, at least the ascent has a decent lenght and kinda of an overworld to explore.

Cool game tho (but not better than ascent imo)

There was an overworld to explore in Ruiner as well, smaller of course. And I thought The Ascent overstayed it's welcome. According to Steam I got about 7 hours out of it before getting bored. I'm definitely glad both games exist, I was very hype for Ascent at the time, and Ruiner at that.

GymWolf

There was an overworld to explore in Ruiner as well, smaller of course. And I thought The Ascent overstayed it's welcome. According to Steam I got about 7 hours out of it before getting bored. I'm definitely glad both games exist, I was very hype for Ascent at the time, and Ruiner at that.
The opposite for me, i was hyped for both but only ascent fully delivered.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I remember playing the beta of this and it was just the biggest hunk of shit.

It wasn't that bad... but it certainly wasn't anything to write home about either. I regret the £149 I paid for the lifetime sub to it... the fact it had a subscription in the first place was insane.

Last edited:
Top Bottom