• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4 Changes Hype Check

Season 4 Saved Diablo 4?

• Yes

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 56 78.9%

• Total voters

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Too lazy to do a massive write up, but today was a new campfire chat that lasted like 2 hours for Diablo 4.

The major goal was all of what they are doing coming up to fix loot— and a lot more.

Is the D4bad meme about to die?

For me all the changes were dub and dub. This coupled with the actual season 4 content not yet unveiled, and the eluded to additions to more skills/reworks of skill tree and paragon board, means by the time the expansion hits this game will be absolutely incredible.

This next patch will turn it from “meh/good” to great.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Mikado

I am always happy to have more good ARPGs.

I'm honestly not sure D4 has the capacity to get there - there are many problems beyond just itemization.

But it's good that they're trying to fix things at least.

Arsic

Diablo 4 is dead.
nah-larry.gif

splattered

Didn't watch it and no idea what is coming... i paid $5 to top off the currency and buy the current battle pass but then hadn't played it at all till this weekend.

Tried setting up a HOTA Barb as i've never tried that class before but it was so slow, difficult for me to get into... so far i've played Rogue and Necro classes.

I think less than a month left on current battle pass too. Ahhhh.

Now that these are all under Microsoft i really wish all these BP titles would adopt the Halo Infinite BP where you buy it once and have forever to go back and finish it.

Too many damn games to play means i'm rarely fully completing any passes and it sucks.

Arsic

Didn't watch it and no idea what is coming... i paid $5 to top off the currency and buy the current battle pass but then hadn't played it at all till this weekend.

Tried setting up a HOTA Barb as i've never tried that class before but it was so slow, difficult for me to get into... so far i've played Rogue and Necro classes.

I think less than a month left on current battle pass too. Ahhhh.

Now that these are all under Microsoft i really wish all these BP titles would adopt the Halo Infinite BP where you buy it once and have forever to go back and finish it.

Too many damn games to play means i'm rarely fully completing any passes and it sucks.
The D4 seasons are constructed with content that applies to battle pass then isn’t there next season. Like go do X activity Y times to get the BP to level up. Well that activity is seasonal so you can’t do it after.

It’s intentionally designed so you would play any season that the BP items interest you then you play. FOMO.

gothmog

Gold Member
Just caught up on the campfire. Seems like good changes but who is excited about this other than those that are still playing that are willing to grind anyways.

Bry0

It’s a great looking patch and the new systems look cool, yes it’s incredibly familiar if you’ve played last epoch but that’s fine.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign in D4 but the game was boring as shit afterwards,tried to do another playthrough with a different class and I only played till halfway of Act 3 and haven't touched it since,that was in october last year.

The expansion sounds nice but I feel it'll be too late by the time it arrives.The perception of the game right now is terrible.

Little Mac

I’m not going back to Diablo 4. Some bangers have released recently on PS5 and my plate is too full to give D4 a second or third chance.

simpatico

Awesome RPG. I don't play it as an MMO. I was fine with the campaigns the way they were. If anything, go too far toward pleasing the people who want to turn it into a virtual life could mess up the what I consider a good system now.

splattered

The D4 seasons are constructed with content that applies to battle pass then isn’t there next season. Like go do X activity Y times to get the BP to level up. Well that activity is seasonal so you can’t do it after.

It’s intentionally designed so you would play any season that the BP items interest you then you play. FOMO.

Sure but they could also convert it later to just get XP to level up etc?

I was actually thinking about Diablo 4 today because I really enjoy the gameplay, even though the loot is meh most of the time.

If the upcoming changes are significant, I'll def consider starting a new seasonal character once the next season drops.

cormack12

Gold Member
I haven't been able to finish season 3. Think I'm like level 88 or summat. I really should finish it though I guess.

When are the changes coming in? Loot 2.0 really helped the division so I'm hoping it makes this more exciting but I just dont think the open world works, diablo 3 was the goatest

Arsic

I haven't been able to finish season 3. Think I'm like level 88 or summat. I really should finish it though I guess.

When are the changes coming in? Loot 2.0 really helped the division so I'm hoping it makes this more exciting but I just dont think the open world works, diablo 3 was the goatest
May 14 is season 4. Lots of time to enjoy the March/April games.

PTR with all the changes is April 2-9th.

Mercador

At this point, they should release a FLC with one or two classes. I don't think new itemization will be enough.

Arsic

Didn't people said the same goddamn thing about every other season?
Season 1- Community was meh
Season 2- Community likes this. Game feels good.
Season3- Community hates it. New low for the game since launch. Myself included.
Season4- We’ve only been shown todays 2 hour event related to fixing items, adding new bosses, new events, new crafting, and more which is both seasonal and eternal realm. Set to change the game forever in great ways.

Lot of promise here.

Mortisfacio

I don't know if I'm hyped, but I'm interested. My 2 core complaints with D4 are endgame (the game starts to suck around 80-85) and itemization. Itemization is overhauled and they expanded on endgame. Short of those, I actually like D4, but each season only holds my interest for 1-2 weeks, I kill Uber Lilith and I'm done. This looks to be improving that and offering more to do.

Saber

Gold Member
Season 1- Community was meh
Season 2- Community likes this. Game feels good.
Season3- Community hates it. New low for the game since launch. Myself included.

Not from what I heard about dedicated fans. They all started hype and hope and then say the season sucks real bad. And look I already saw alot of people that said the second one was "new low", so theres not even consistence in their ability to suck bad.

Arsic

Not from what I heard about dedicated fans. They all started hype and hope and then say the season sucks real bad. And look I already saw alot of people that said the second one was "new low", so theres not even consistence in their ability to suck bad.
Idk where you get your feedback from. I get mine from hands on, Reddit, and YT videos from creators focused on ARPGs.

Season 2 was good.

Kacho

I’ve noticed a trend with D4 seasons that’s similar to the Sonic cycle meme.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'll wait for the actual Expansion later this year in the meantime I have Last Epoch to keep me busy

Arsic

I’ve noticed a trend with D4 seasons that’s similar to the Sonic cycle meme.
The dev team has an odd season team (1,3,5,etc) and an even season team.

So far 1 & 3 were giga let downs. Season 2 was good.

So the hope here is with all of this itemization overhaul etc above AND the good season team at the helm, that season 4 should be a major shift in tone.

Could it still suck? Yep. Does the game still need other work? Yep.

Safest bet is come expansion pack the game should be in the best state ever and if the game is cheeks then there’s no hope in ever making it good. Aside from this season 4 overhaul the other major need is skills and skill trees.

Fingers crossed. I love Diablo franchise, and would like to play this in addition to LE, PoE1&2, etc.

Puscifer

I wonder how much longer this “Diablo 4 is saved” cycle will last.
At this point the slow movement sprint toggle shit has to go for one and the game would benefit from being a little faster. It's just not fun to play, everything feels like it's dragging it heels and it's made worse when D2 resurrected is available for 10-15 bucks and is infinitely better.

Also, them nerfing builds that made the game fun was bullshit as it was literally intended to make players take longer to finish content, that just felt like a middle finger to the player base and it's where I lost interest

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
It’s cool that some of the users here are still supporting this game that is in beta phase. I’ll hang on and wait for the full release before I return… it’s asinine to me that so many people are comfortable supporting a game, and the shady practices by the dev/publisher because of the title…but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t surprised. The same thing is about to happen with DD2 tomorrow. The gaming industry is only in trouble because of a select amount of gamers…buttt, I’m sure I’ll get shit on here all the same. Love you all, and hope you open your eyes and stop supporting trash practices by game companies.

Edit - Just wanted to add, that I played the game for quite a bit of time after release, before the anger train derails all over my response.

Last edited:

Arsic

It’s cool that some of the users here are still supporting this game that is in beta phase. I’ll hang on and wait for the full release before I return… it’s asinine to me that so many people are comfortable supporting a game, and the shady practices by the dev/publisher because of the title…but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t surprised. The same thing is about to happen with DD2 tomorrow. The gaming industry is only in trouble because of a select amount of gamers…buttt, I’m sure I’ll get shit on here all the same. Love you all, and hope you open your eyes and stop supporting trash practices by game companies.

Edit - Just wanted to add, that I played the game for quite a bit of time after release, before the anger train derails all over my response.
Idk what makes me a fool for getting hundreds of hours of fun out of it?

The campaign is a fun 40 hour romp and worth the $35 on sale price these days to dive in. Even if you opt to never play end game or seasons.

Each season I’ve come back for a week or two, granted season 3 I got to like level 40 and dipped. It’s bad.

I have bought a few battle passes and some MTX, but I do that with any game I spend time with and enjoy.

I don’t need a forever day in day out always play game. I’m fine with each season being 2 week romps before moving into a new game release. It’s ideal for me.

DavidGzz

2c6dd6abe3e0517a750934143bee5162.jpg

Under 24 hours this time, Path of Exile's changes each season make Diablo 4 ones look like Blizzard is a under dozen people indie company.

And PoE 2 looks better than D4 in every way so...

Wake me up when PoE 2 drops. Until then, I sleep.

The D4 changes are awesome. In for the PTR and season 4.

So, you got your money's worth. Got it. Did you watch the campfire talk or at least get a summary? It's looking hot.

Last edited:
The changes sound good but will need to see how that translates into gameplay. They also really need to have an absolute banger new seasonal mechanic otherwise it's all wasted. The last 3 seasons have been really poor.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Idk what makes me a fool for getting hundreds of hours of fun out of it?

The campaign is a fun 40 hour romp and worth the $35 on sale price these days to dive in. Even if you opt to never play end game or seasons.

Each season I’ve come back for a week or two, granted season 3 I got to like level 40 and dipped. It’s bad.

I have bought a few battle passes and some MTX, but I do that with any game I spend time with and enjoy.

I don’t need a forever day in day out always play game. I’m fine with each season being 2 week romps before moving into a new game release. It’s ideal for me.
I never once called anyone a “fool” in my post. That alone screams “I’m offended because I love the game and no one else does, so they are wrong” vibes.

Skifi28

I finished the story and never looked back. The visuals and animations were nice, but I'm not sure it can be saved and it's going to require a lot more than a patch. You'd need a commplete overhaul of almost everything.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Wake me up when PoE 2 drops. Until then, I sleep.

The D4 changes are awesome. In for the PTR and season 4.

So, you got your money's worth. Got it. Did you watch the campfire talk or at least get a summary? It's looking hot.
Huh? Moneys worth? Did you actually read my post, or did you try to butter up the d4 nips, or balls?

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Didn't finish season one and never boot the game again. It's nice they still try to fix it but it will take some incredible changes and additions to convince me to just try it again.

Oppoi

Was pretty clear when they made immortal that Diablo was going free to play. But hey, it's "free" on game pass, eh?

DavidGzz

I’m not watching that and would appreciate a list

• The testing phase starts on April 2nd and will run through April 9th.
  • Season of the Construct will end and Season 4 will begin on May 14th.
  • This PTR will only be available to Battlenet users on PC, but future PTRs might be available on other platforms.
  • PTR characters can be boosted to max level.
  • PTR Patch Notes will be available sometime next week.
  • Fewer pieces of loot will drop, but overall loot will be higher quality.
  • The goal will be for players to be able to craft and customize their ideal gear.
    • BASE ITEM UPDATES
  • Many unused Affixes will be removed from the game.
  • Only Sacred items will appear in World Tier 3 and only Ancestral items will appear in World Tier 4.
  • The total number of Affixes on gear will be reduced.
  • Dropped Legendary and Unique items will now be tradeable
ADDITIONAL UPDATES
  • Level 95+ enemies will only drop item level 925 gear.
  • The Gem system has been simplified, and Gems can be sold for more gold.
  • Item Enchanting gold costs will be capped. Many materials have been consolidated and forgotten souls will have additional sources.
  • More Unique items will drop in World Tiers 1 and 2.
  • Uber Uniques can now drop in World Tier 3 from level 55+ enemies.
  • All Legendary Aspects can now be found in the Codex of Power.
  • Salvaging a Legendary item will upgrade the Aspect within the Codex of Power.
  • Codex of Power Legendary powers can be upgraded up to 16 times to reach its maximum potential.
  • Max-rolled Legendary Aspects will only drop in World Tier 4.
  • Tempering is a new crafting system that will allow players to add new Affixes to gear.
  • Tempering Manuals will drop from most content in the game, and cannot be target-farmed.
  • Manuals will have four possible Affixes, with one Affix being randomly applied to a piece of gear.
  • Items will have limited Temper Durability that will determine how many times a Temper can be rerolled.
  • The most powerful Affix rolls in the game, with a 1.5x multiplier to previous max rolls.
  • Greater Affixes can only roll on dropped Legendary or Unique items.
  • Greater Affixes can be Enchanted off of items, but cannot be crafted onto an item.
  • Masterworking is a new item upgrading system that will include 12 ranks.
  • Every four upgrades, one random affix will be dramatically increased.

CLASS UPDATES

• Season 4 will introduce 10 new Unique items and 1 additional Uber Unique- Tyrael's Might
  • Frozen Orb will now travel to where the player directs it.
  • Necromancer and Druid Minions will now inherit 100% of the character's stats.
  • Wind lasher aspect will spawn a lot more Dust Devils.

Jesus, there is A LOT more. I am tired of the copy pasta, just go here and scroll down for Class updates and more. I am excited that we can zoom out more during gameplay as well! https://www.wowhead.com/diablo-4/ne...ework-campfire-chat-338169#additional-updates

Last edited:
Top Bottom