• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let this sink in: Rocksteady wasted a whole decade.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I just saw that infamous gameplay deep dive of Kill the Justice League. I had 0 expectations but somehow, I am still disappointed. The Batman Arkham games are among the greatest games ever, basically made it possible for superhero games to be legit, brought many innovations to the table and are well regarded by reviewers and critics. In particular, these games also got me into Batman lore and comicbooks.

I can't believe that on 2023 we are getting basically a carbon copy of Marvel's Avengers but with a Great Value cast of characters from DC. At least I was playing top tier heroes with Avengers (except the arab girl)

I think this also highlights how these overly long development cycles impact games in a negative way: Avengers was an absolute failure, but maybe Rocksteady was already deep into production back then and could not retool this into a proper, campaign based, single player game. This means that from 2016 through 2024/ including GaaS post launch support all these guys had to show was this mediocre game. While on a smaller timeframe (2009 - 2015) they put together 3 extraordinary Arkham games (and a 4th one that was by WB Montreal but the foundations were there)

Not sure about you guys but I am extremely disappointed after today's showing, just felt like venting out

Last edited:

Camreezie

I just saw that infamous gameplay deep dive of Kill the Justice League. I had 0 expectations but somehow, I am still disappointed. The Batman Arkham games are among the greatest games ever, basically made it possible for superhero games to be legit, brought many innovations to the table and are well regarded by reviewers and critics. In particular, these games also got me into Batman lore and comicbooks.

I can't believe that on 2023 we are getting basically a carbon copy of Marvel's Avengers but with a Great Value cast of characters from DC. At least I was playing top tier heroes with Avengers (except the arab girl)

I think this also highlights how these overly long development cycles impact games in a negative way: Avengers was an absolute failure, but maybe Rocksteady was already deep into production back then and could not retool this into a proper, campaign based, single player game. This means that from 2016 through 2024/ including GaaS post launch support all these guys had to show was this mediocre game. While on a smaller timeframe (2009 - 2015) they put together 3 extraordinary Arkham games (and a 4th one that was by WB Montreal but the foundations were there)

Not sure about you guys but I am extremely disappointed after today's showing, just felt like venting out
The warning signs that they were on the decline were there in Knight, theyve been onnthe downslide since then.

Dane

That's Western Game Development School of Tought for you, managament is the biggest fuck up, people here tend to blame on the lower levels that have zero power on it and do their work, its the upper ones who keep changing everything and putting all the work into the trash.

Cyberpunk for example, of the 8 years of development, only roughly 3.5 years were for the final iteration, imagine that all the pre production they did during the Witcher 3 days should have gave enough time to be perfected and sent into full production with barely any changes, a smooth sail, but nope, lets scrap 90% of what we did but we gotta still keep the deadline or close to it, good luck, basically a death march. Not even getting into detail what was changed and cut during the final vision development.

Meanwhile in Japan you can have a triple A made from scratch in less than five years + iterative sequels every two years.

Last edited:

Tg89

eh, batman games are pretty overrated imo.

but yeah this looks like a new level of trash.

not sure what's to be expected though, it's a suicide squad game, one of the worst franchises in movies most worthless sub genre. super hero shit sucks through and through.

Well said OP

Look at Arkham Knight, impressive for its time , great use of Unreal Engine.

This looks no better , I’d argue it looks like Crackdown meets Gotham Knights.

I’d be amazed if this has varied and exciting mission variety.

You can tell why they haven’t shown much of it until now.

Katajx

Gold Member
My hope is that the boss fights are good since you would be fighting the justice league. Fighting Batman might be cool, but I did that pretty recently in GK.

I think from a technical standpoint it looks pretty good and fun, but they are unproven in this type of game. In this style with these villains I’m worried it’s gonna be more like Gotham City Impostors. Anyone remember that game?

Varteras

Gold Member
Like an increasing number of big studios these days, Rocksteady is a shadow of what they were. And it's only going to get worse before it gets any better. The talent drought in the industry is very real. There are just not enough talented developers and managers to staff the number of big studios that are out there. You're seeing a lot of smaller independent studios pop up. I think just Blizzard and Bioware combined have seen 10 or 15 studios started by their former staff in the last few years.

Think of the scarecrow scene in Arkham Asylum where they show you Batmans origins without a cutscene and you flash to young bruce and the music swells as you hunch over your dead parents and then the camera zooms out to reveal a bat signal spotlight on the famous crime alley landmark.

Now think of what you just saw in SSKTJL. And never forget that casuals and corporatism are the death and dilution of all art that they touch.

shiru

Banned
I still think it's incredible they shipped a game like AC just two years after AA. Nowadays it would take half a decade or more between releases. And the game still ends up being mediocre or disappointing. Even inferior to past games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I must be crazy.

You've taken a big step today

Batman Ok GIF

TexMex

I don’t think the game looks bad, I just think it could have been made by anyone. So when you follow up some of the best games ever made with this, yeah, it’s a bummer.

Ribi

Super hero movies coming out every week and sheep going out to watch em. Now the videogame space is being infested. Game looks ok with a good dev behind the project so I expect it to be better than avengers but I can't in good conscience support any super hero marvel/DC shit. Fuck em

simpatico

I wonder how many people from the Arkham Asylum team are even still left. Gameplay did look bland. Like they're 7 years too late on that concept. I don't understand how this happens with publishers. How can you let a dev cycle drag for that long? Hell the long awaited gameplay demo had FPS drops throughout. At least have the decency to give it fake prerendered 60fps. Show me that you're trying.

Shame to see the team behind one of the best game series of all time reduced to fortnite battlepass garbage. Im sure some of the devs there were extremely unhappy and didnt want to make this and I feel bad for them.

For all the shit I give arkham knight. I'm about to re-download it, and savior that shit like a double cheese burger with bacon in the summer. it's that bad...

We don’t know how long this game has been worked on. We know they were working on others that got canned and it would seem that WB finally allowed Rocksteady to finish this one.
I don’t blame Rocksteady for this, at least not entire. I’m sure the higher ups at WB had a heavy hand in this (chasing trends).

Laptop1991

Agreed, The money they make off Gta Online has changed Rockstar and most of the gaming industry since, worst thing to happen to gaming in my opinion, when you list the games they released in the decade before, it says everything.

Top Bottom