• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let this sink in: Rocksteady wasted a whole decade.

Gambit2483

I think it looks good. I must be crazy.

Give me some great traversal, a fun campaign in co op with my buds and loot.

As long as its not a destiny 2 kind of game then I think it will be great, more like diablo. 4 player co op. Full campaign game.
Considering the developers pedigree this is somewhat disappointing. It's basically a "turn off your brain pew pew" game. Coming from Batman that's rather disappointing mate.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Oh wow, so jealous you got to play this from start to finish already! Did they send you an early Clown-code or something? Very cool.

Do you really need to play this to see how it's going to turn out? Look at all the red flags:

- Costco superhero team. Love how the dev team spun it "we wanted to see the perspective of the villains" how about playing as the best DC villains then like the JOKER, Lex Luthor, Ras al ghul...

- generic powers (Harley Quinn is basically spiderman for some reason)
- extremely colourful cities and powers to appeal to the Fortnite crowd.
- game tailor made for co op play.
- gear, loot, levels, epics, legendaries...
- post launch support for more "engagement'"
- BATTLE PASSES

Last edited:

nbkicker

Arkham city was the peak of rocksteady, enjoyed arkham knight but way to much bat tank gameplay, plus even though rocksteady done a u turn on the challenge maps still wasnt as good as city's , but after i heard of a few staff departures and the whole letter of going forward all our female workers get a say in how woman act and look in our games going forward i just kinda thought it just gonna go downhill, what was shown just didnt get me hyped, dc, warner bros or whoever got a lot to answer for for pushing this and gotham knights

It seems like when you veer from a proper Batman or Spiderman game you get this kind of meh. A lot of hype and hope early on around these other franchises and characters that I've never felt were good enough. As a collective it's a sick bag and on their own kind of lightweight. I'm not saying a bad Batman game can't be made obviously.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
While it is disappointing and sad to see them fall all the way off like this, them including those god awful batmobile sequences in the final Arkham game was a very loud signal that the main talent had already left the building.

Shubh_C63

Rocksteady isn't what they were used to be when they haven't even delivered their first dud. Let's wait.

Though that was too many guns for my taste. Not looking good

FunkMiller

Shame Sefton Hill and Jamie Walker probably signed some kind of bullshit NDA when they left the company. Because I'd love to hear exactly why they decided to leave when they did... given how trash this game looks. It must have been the reason.

This game looks like a tumor of everything that is wrong in the modern gaming space. I'm expecting WB to be trying to give this game away for half off a month after release, just like Gotham Knights. What a hollow, joyless experience Rocksteady promoed today. The entire 15 minutes was the death knell of the Arkhamverse as it transforms into a live service looter shooter cash grab. Glad to know I can spend my summer working on my backlog instead of this tripe.

I just saw that infamous gameplay deep dive of Kill the Justice League. I had 0 expectations but somehow, I am still disappointed. The Batman Arkham games are among the greatest games ever, basically made it possible for superhero games to be legit, brought many innovations to the table and are well regarded by reviewers and critics. In particular, these games also got me into Batman lore and comicbooks.

I can't believe that on 2023 we are getting basically a carbon copy of Marvel's Avengers but with a Great Value cast of characters from DC. At least I was playing top tier heroes with Avengers (except the arab girl)

I think this also highlights how these overly long development cycles impact games in a negative way: Avengers was an absolute failure, but maybe Rocksteady was already deep into production back then and could not retool this into a proper, campaign based, single player game. This means that from 2016 through 2024/ including GaaS post launch support all these guys had to show was this mediocre game. While on a smaller timeframe (2009 - 2015) they put together 3 extraordinary Arkham games (and a 4th one that was by WB Montreal but the foundations were there)

Not sure about you guys but I am extremely disappointed after today's showing, just felt like venting out
Same as retro studios. Prime 4 might be good but we'll never get to see the other games they were working on.

Oof85

It seems like when you veer from a proper Batman or Spiderman game you get this kind of meh. A lot of hype and hope early on around these other franchises and characters that I've never felt were good enough. As a collective it's a sick bag and on their own kind of lightweight. I'm not saying a bad Batman game can't be made obviously.
When you take away the moveset that makes the gameplay novel, people stop caring?

Shouldn't be a surprise since there's no shortage of other games where your gameplay is primarily shooting people.

Last edited:

hinch7

I mean the latest trailer kinda reminds me if Saints Row 4, and that's not a good thing.

Hopefully this isn't another Gotham Knights.. because that would be hugely dissapointing coming from the brilliant AK, that released nearly eight years ago.

Last edited:
Something just hit me, whoever was responsible like 5-8 years ago for vetoing their superman game has probably moved on to another six figure high level overseeing job at another company and will take zero consequences for the dumbest creative decision I've seen in gaming in my entire life. Probably has a big giant house in a gated community, drives a nice dope ass car. The works.

Meanwhile in his wake a bunch of poor devs (seriously look how cringe and forced they come across trying to sell this garbage) have to slave away for 8 goddamn years and millions of fans of the Batman Arkham trilogy or those expecting JL or a Superman game are left crushingly disappointed.

Last edited:

Kacho

Something just hit me, whoever was responsible like 5-8 years ago for vetoing their superman game is has probably moved on to another six figure high level overseeing job at another company and will take zero consequences for the dumbest creative decision I've seen in gaming in my entire life. Probably has a big giant house in a gated community, drives a nice dope ass car. The works.

Meanwhile in his wake a bunch of poor devs (seriously look how cringe and forced they come across trying to sell this garbage) have to slave away for 8 goddamn years and millions of fans of the Batman Arkham trilogy or those expecting JL or a Superman game are left crushingly disappointed.
I remember the days when Rocksteady was rumored to be making a Batman Beyond game.

Last edited:
I like the story idea of taking out the justice league, but the characters I don't have any connection to, and sick of harley quin's overexposure. That and it's another live service shooter that's beyond stale at this point

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Shame Sefton Hill and Jamie Walker probably signed some kind of bullshit NDA when they left the company. Because I'd love to hear exactly why they decided to leave when they did... given how trash this game looks. It must have been the reason.
These guys left a sinking ship they captained for 8 years. They were probably the ones responsible for this mess.

Rocksteady was rumored to be working on a Superman game then a Batman beyond game before deciding to work on this trash. The years they wasted are on the guys at the top. Not the poor saps who are seeing this thing through.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It actually reminded me of Crackdown…..but not as good. I love Crackdown but this did not look like a game made over 8 years and for next gen consoles. Pretty poor! Gaming is in a bad spot these days.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Do you really need to play this to see how it's going to turn out? Look at all the red flags:

- Costco superhero team. Love how the dev team spun it "we wanted to see the perspective of the villains" how about playing as the best DC villains then like the JOKER, Lex Luthor, Ras al ghul...

- generic powers (Harley Quinn is basically spiderman for some reason)
- extremely colourful cities and powers to appeal to the Fortnite crowd.
- game tailor made for co op play.
- gear, loot, levels, epics, legendaries...
- post launch support for more "engagement'"
- BATTLE PASSES
When Joker, Luther and Ras Al Ghul are your ‘best DC villains ’ then you got problems

Last edited:

skit_data

Yeah, pretty crazy tbh. My two favourite series from the PS3 days in Arkham and Dead Space simply died for some reason and while Dead Space seems to be back to some extent I think we will never see the return of a proper Arkham game. Really sad and strange because Rocksteady was so damn good at what they did.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Considering the developers pedigree this is somewhat disappointing. It's basically a "turn off your brain pew pew" game. Coming from Batman that's rather disappointing mate.

Yeah but it showed some awesome use of DC characters by the look of it. It didn't look like they've cut down on the story elements and cut scenes etc.

I get what you are Saying though, maybe the last thing I needed was another open world map for a single player game with the same missions over and over again.

Arkham Knight just went on forever and lost the metroid magic that made the first one amazing.

I'd rather run around an open world with 3 friends and kick super hero ass that way than on my own in 2023. I'm done with open worlds.

YCoCg

Sadly I'm fearing for Rocksteady at this point, being a UK studio it's expensive to keep open and when this bombs I doubt the studio itself will last much longer, which is a shame as you can almost feel how they've been forced to make the game this way.

SJRB

Gold Member
L54Wfob.gif

Literally me during the entire 15 minutes. I'm still shellshocked that one of the best studios in the world worked on something for 7 years and this is the end result.

Ozzie666

Was this game and genre forced upon them? did they have Batman or single player fatigue? This game reaps of a publisher wanting something very specific and chasing that Gaas money.

Astray

Gold Member
This game has been a hard pass for me ever since it's been outed as a GAAS.

That type of game is absolute cancer and Sony is absolutely out of their minds if they want to take their studios into that direction.

OceanGaming

HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU NEED TO BE TOLD TO UNDERSTAND THIS?

Rocksteady you know, is gone. With the unholy union of western progressivism and soulless corporatism/capitalism, in this example WB, removed those who perpetrated "frat boy culture" and pushed soulless bugmen/wemen into their studios. THIS IS THE RESULT. THERE IS NO MORE ROCKSTEADY YOU KNOW.

Cherish the past and forget about Rocksteady of today.

While I agree with your conclusion, OP, the premise is a little hyperbolic.

SS doesn't look like a mediocre game. Graphically, it's really strong. The production values are through the roof. It's just that the entire concept, i.e. Suicide Squad, is just so fucking dull and uninteresting.

Out of DC's entire roster of A-list superheroes, they go and make a game featuring a selection of characters that nobody fucking likes or wants to play. If they really wanted to make a villain-focused game, they should have made one about someone like Deathstroke ---but even then, don't waste Rocksteady's talents on that shit.

I don't blame Rocksteady. It's all WB's fault. You just know WB forced them to work on this shit. Because there is not a world where given the choice that Rocksteady would have selected to work on a SS game of their own volition. WB has been trying to make SS a thing since forever. They made two films plus that Birds of Prey abortion to keep trying to push this fucking vapid shit onto consumers.... and we don't give a shit, WB!!!! Get it into your thick fucking skulls.

I've said it many times, but a gritty TMNT game by Rocksteady should have been the obvious choice from WB. It would have catapulted the series back into popularity among the masses, sold fucking gangbusters and rejuvenated the brand so that it would be ripe again for merchandising, new non-shitty movies and TV shows.

....but nooo.... some thick-headed suit in the boardroom of DC/WB just has a raging hard-on for Harley Quinn (probably because they watched too much Corey Chase HQ cosplay) and they won't let this SS shit fucking die in a fire where it belongs.

hyperbertha

Arkham Knight was a bad game? Really? Maybe not a very good arkham game compared to city, but still by far better than most AAA single player experiences. And people here blaming Rocksteady when its 100 percent Warner's fault. Like wtf logic is that?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't blame Rocksteady. It's all WB's fault. You just know WB forced them to work on this shit. Because there is not a world where given the choice that Rocksteady would have selected to work on a SS game of their own volition. WB has been trying to make SS a thing since forever. They made two films plus that Birds of Prey abortion to keep trying to push this fucking vapid shit onto consumers.... and we don't give a shit, WB!!!! Get it into your thick fucking skulls.
Its crazy that we got a Suicide Squad 2 but no Man of Steel 2. its crazy that they greenlit Birds Of Prey but cant get Flash and Aquaman 2 out to save their lives.

SJRB

Gold Member
Taking a street level team and making them fight cosmic and reality warping enemies while they break their own conventions and jump hundreds of feet in the air and do backflips.

What the actual fuck.

The whole concept was fundamentally flawed from the very start, that's what is most sad about the whole affair.

8+ years down the drain. All that talent, all those resources, just gone. Congrats, you worked 40+ hours per week on a game for a decade that ended up in the bargaining bin 5 weeks after launch.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I can't believe that on 2023 we are getting basically a carbon copy of Marvel's Avengers but with a Great Value cast of characters from DC. At least I was playing top tier heroes with Avengers (except the arab girl)
Dude, what are you talking about? The Suicide Squad >>> The Avengers; and any comicbook connoisseur would agree with this.

I get any complains about the gameplay design, and I agree with a lot of those on many levels, but the setting, characters and story, as well as the presentation, have been absolutely top-notch across all the footage they've shown so far - above and beyond to what they achieved with the Arkham series in that regard.

Top Bottom