• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let this sink in: Rocksteady wasted a whole decade.

You can be a paying consumer and a client, but you gotta know what you pay for. You paid for previous outings and thats not what the studio decided to do moving forward.

Its not loyal or supportive if you only endorse something you want (im not targetting you specifically, its a general statement).

Now for Gotham Knights and Spiderman, I don't think its that hard to look at the correlation. Especially when Spiderman is an Arkham Copy paste in just about everything structure and gameplay wise. Rocksteady entirely changed the face of AAA third person open world's combat with their free flow system, so much so that Ubisoft and other companies borrowed the mechanics (same camera style, same press a button to parry when you see the indicator, different types of enemies needing specific actions or sequences in order to counter them, etc) and made out like bandits, Spiderman alone sold more than Arkham trilogy combined

RS decided to further their Arkham Universe (not the fans's) without putting Batman as the focus, good on them. Fans bitching about it are just beyond pathetic at this point
I am extremely confused by this response, honestly

To the bold part, why would I or anyone else want to endorse something we don't want? What loyalty am I owing exactly here? If they make a product I want, I support it. If they make a product I don't want, I obviously don't support it. I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here.

On the second part of the response, Spiderman is definitely not an Arkham copy/paste, sure it's a superhero with third person combat and an open world, but the setting is completely different. Batman is a detective. The best Batman (imho) is a noir Batman with some mystery and investigation going on. It's not about funny quips and colorful shit exploding or weird superpowers. That's what was so good and refreshing about the Arkham games they made and made the reputation of that studio.

If they want to abandon the type of game they were so good at and build something else, that's their right to do, but obviously every fan of the genre is going to be angry/disappointed/frustrated by that. No one is turning violent or doing anything wrong afaik, but of course people will voice their frustrations, it would be weird if that wasn't the case in a gaming enthusiast forum. As you can see the general reaction, that's pretty much the norm.

Dr_Ifto

Are we sure that ATT didnt put a kabash on projects, made them can the Superman project, and then led them down this path before they sold to Discovery?

Last edited:

Sygma

I am extremely confused by this response, honestly

To the bold part, why would I or anyone else want to endorse something we don't want? What loyalty am I owing exactly here? If they make a product I want, I support it. If they make a product I don't want, I obviously don't support it. I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here.

On the second part of the response, Spiderman is definitely not an Arkham copy/paste, sure it's a superhero with third person combat and an open world, but the setting is completely different. Batman is a detective. The best Batman (imho) is a noir Batman with some mystery and investigation going on. It's not about funny quips and colorful shit exploding or weird superpowers. That's what was so good and refreshing about the Arkham games they made and made the reputation of that studio.

If they want to abandon the type of game they were so good at and build something else, that's their right to do, but obviously every fan of the genre is going to be angry/disappointed/frustrated by that. No one is turning violent or doing anything wrong afaik, but of course people will voice their frustrations, it would be weird if that wasn't the case in a gaming enthusiast forum. As you can see the general reaction, that's pretty much the norm.

So spiderman isn't an arkham copy paste despite being utterly the same outside of the hero you play, especially when it comes down to combat where you know you can hang above enemies and press a button to do stealth actions / takedowns, have to hit enemies a certain amount of time in order to have at your disposal finishers / special moves, having to use a certain movement against shield bearing units, and using gagdets with the same buttons

ok sure, its not the same. I don't remember if you can do a triple parry in Spidey but doubles happen frequently

and how about going around the open world with the same kind of side missions ? ill give you spiderman has something more namely, QTEs with high production values animated sequences but other than that there's no difference at all. Hell when the sinister six is released and you get villains all around you in the open worl isn't reminiscent at all to city's / knight layering, must have imagined that too

no but i mean seriously, Insomniac just copy pasted Arkham's structure and added some stealth missions with Spiderman's universe. Ergo you'll get more Arkham style games, just not with batman, since Spiderman 2 will release and I'm pretty sure Wolverine will also embrace the same combat system / structure. Unless they make a character action game a la god of war

Last edited:
Top Bottom