• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's play Jade Empire

I tried playing this game last year, didnt seem to age too well. Am I wrong? Should I try again?

I know it's a legacy game, so that's why I wanted to play it. If it's worth pushing through than for sure I give it another try.

Krathoon

It has this guy.

Also, John Cleese plays a memorable role.

It has this guy.

Came here to talk about my guy Henpecked Hou. I see a man of culture had my back already.
robert redford yes GIF

Majormaxxx

This came out around the time Jade Raymond was being talked about like the second coming of Jesus. I genuinely thought this game was something to do with her at the time.
Look up the halo effect in psychology. That being said, she led a few pretty good games.

The opposite of this is what happened to the director of black flag and Ac origins.

It has this guy.

Nathan Fillion as well.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
I tried playing this game last year, didnt seem to age too well. Am I wrong? Should I try again?

I know it's a legacy game, so that's why I wanted to play it. If it's worth pushing through than for sure I give it another try.

It's worth it. Maybe watch Crouching Tiger and Drunken Master before. It's a simple RPG with fun combat and an awesome world. The combat styles and transformations are brilliant.

Reactions: Isa
Badass martial arts & magic RPG that was a true Xbox exclusive gem back in the day. The world is a worse place for not having a Jade Empire 2 or JE Remake.
I'd take ports at this sdvhuisdfrhdiuodehjfiodufiojfpsdufwerjfisdogfsdufherlosdhfgfsdhfrlwehfosdhwerhfohlrhdovfhsdgfdifiwefjiosdfjwekhfiosdhgerhjgiosdhjkerhfuorjltwehvuionerlosdnfldhiosdjf

Last edited:

Skifi28

I wanted to play this badly, but the steam version is terrible. Managed to get it to launch after some fiddling, but it feels like it runs at 20fps even though it shows 60. Followed several guides tweaking the ini, but no cigar.

Phase

I completed this earlier this year. Bought a physical copy for xbox. Amazing game. Very focused and is a good example of what gaming should be. Interesting and fun.

Sophist

I wanted to play this badly, but the steam version is terrible. Managed to get it to launch after some fiddling, but it feels like it runs at 20fps even though it shows 60. Followed several guides tweaking the ini, but no cigar.
You may actually get better results with Steam Proton or Wine.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I played back when it first released on Xbox. Barely remember anything specific, but I thought the combat was kind of boring.

They made a big deal about how Open Palm vs Closed Fist was not simply good vs evil. It was supposed to be about competing philosophies, compassion vs strength + self reliance. But it ended up being almost cartoonishly good vs evil.

I played back when it first released on Xbox. Barely remember anything specific, but I thought the combat was kind of boring.

They made a big deal about how Open Palm vs Closed Fist was not simply good vs evil. It was supposed to be about competing philosophies, compassion vs strength + self reliance. But it ended up being almost cartoonishly good vs evil.

I wish MORE games would let us be that evil. Too many easily offended snowflakes these days ruining everything. No way in hell would a game made today let you blow up puppies, Bang your cousin and then murder her in order to increase your own power.

MrMephistoX

Might be a good time is it XBSX enhanced? I was hella impressed with Dead or Alive 3 and Ultimate in this latest batch of updates.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Oh. Can you put the original in an XBox One and it will download the game. Still, the PC version is the special edition. It has extra content.

Polelock

I never played through and recently started it on my XSX and it looks amazing. Imo better than the pc version. Great game, great story.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have Jade Empire on my iPhone. I owned the Xbox version many years ago, but I don’t remember anything about it. Lots and lots of dialogue. I would have to reinstall it. I have had much more “patience” with KOTOR over the years and I think KOTOR has stood out more. Jade Empire really only stood out when the original Xbox was still being sold. I always think of Jade Cocoon when I hear the name.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I wish MORE games would let us be that evil. Too many easily offended snowflakes these days ruining everything. No way in hell would a game made today let you blow up puppies, Bang your cousin and then murder her in order to increase your own power.
Lol I mean yeah, sometimes it’s fun being an evil bastard. In Outer Worlds I killed Parvati’s girlfriend during their first date. Probably the most entertaining part of the game (not worth playing for that though)

MrMephistoX

It is! It got the 4k treatment. It's especially shocking when it goes into a prerendered cinematic and reverts back to the original resolution.
The biggest jar in the enhanced versions are definitely anything pre rendered. The menus and button prompts especially are always a blurry mess but in game usually plays gorgeously.

Lol I mean yeah, sometimes it’s fun being an evil bastard. In Outer Worlds I killed Parvati’s girlfriend during their first date. Probably the most entertaining part of the game (not worth playing for that though)
Wonder why I never thought to do that? Dumb bitch friendzoned me when I was ready to meet her in my quarters on the Normandy for some lesbian loving. We'll bang, ok? But seriously, I would have done that but they made her a cock tease with a cute voice.

next time I am blowing her would be suitor away.

Last edited:
Badass martial arts & magic RPG that was a true Xbox exclusive gem back in the day. The world is a worse place for not having a Jade Empire 2 or JE Remake.

It really was a fantastic game, I'd be down for a remake.

Jade Empire came out in a...turbulent time for me. For lack of a better word. Long story short I was a mess, didn't have anywhere stable to live and spent the majority of my time living in my car. But every once in awhile I'd scrape together some dough and get a room for a night or two at this horrific motel. It was a shithole, full of fleas and it was dilapidated, but wicked cheap.

So I had what little my life consisted of in the trunk of my car, and that included an og Xbox. I honestly can't remember how I got Jade Empire, (maybe a friend gave it to me?) but whenever I got a bit of time in this motel I would hook the Xbox up and be completely engrossed in Jade Empire. The world, stories and characters were incredible. I have no idea how the game would hold up today but at the time it was the perfect escape from the nightmare I was living in. The game will always hold a special place in my heart.

Funny thing was, they'd put me into a room and all rooms except ONE had tvs with only rf connections. Playing on that was nonsense so I eventually I would break into the room I knew had the TV with a composite hookup. I'd then sneak that TV out and swap it with the shitty rf one that was in my room haha.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I played some of the PC version today. You can us a PS4 controller with it. I could not get it to select the menu through it. I had to hit esc.

I will try sticking the old Xbox disc in the Xbox One and see if it will download a version for it.

I will probably play it on the PC. GOG saves you saves to the cloud. I can put it on my laptop.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I just started a new game. Dawn Star was kidnapped. I just met this guy:

I just started a new game. Dawn Star was kidnapped. I just met this guy:
Yeah that dude's cool. If I could have one complaint for RPGS, is that they always

SPOILERS BELOW:

Always kill off the coolest characters in the party. Which I am admittedly tired of.

Last edited:
I really wish someone would upload two whole longplays of this game in HD and in as few videos as possible with no commentary
Longplay 1: Radiant Jen Zi closed fist, Silk Fox romanced/silk fox partner, Sword and fast kick style.
Longplay 2, the Monk dude from the Special edition with the unique spear weapon and the same fast kick style from Radiant Jen Zi, but Open Palm, Dawn Star Romanced/Dawn Star partner

Last edited:

BigBooper

This was the only Bioware game I never really liked. I've played it at least twice, once a couple of years ago on the GOG version.

Last edited:
The PC version of this isn't very good but I have many fond memories of this game. I'm still sad it never got a sequel. It was made during the twilight of Bioware's Golden Age and after Mass Effect the studio basically fell apart.

Krathoon

I did run into a bug with the PC version where the camera got stuck facing the floor. I reloaded my save and it fixed it.

The game mechanics are not really complex. There is just a regular attack, a block, and a strong attack.

I am going to check the manual for the xbox version to make sure my joystick is setup right.

Here is the extras you get in the PC Special Edition. It also has a New Game+.

Last edited:

Krathoon

For some reason, this staff is only in the XBox Limited Edition version of Jade Empire.

The other versions have this staff instead. The only difference is cosmetic. They have the same stats.

It is a weird difference.

Krathoon

The Limited Edition on the Xbox also had a "Making of" video on the bonus disc.

Let me find it on YouTube....

The game is pretty lore heavy. There are allot of text in those scrolls. I will have to check if the game saves the scrolls you find.

Last edited:

Krathoon

One annoying thing with the PC version is that setting it to widescreen stretches the menus. That was a common issue with old PC games. They didn't bother to adjust the menus.

The Limited Edition on the Xbox also had a "Making of" video on the bonus disc.

Let me find it on YouTube....

The game is pretty lore heavy. There are allot of text in those scrolls. I will have to check if the game saves the scrolls you find.

It was Peak Bioware for me. I don't really like ME that much, and the only Dragon Age game I enjoyed was Origins and it's awakening expansion.
sfhweuiorhweio;fysd8hfipsdvfysdihjfiopsdyfiohjfipsdyfr80wejpdfasdy8fihwedipfyioffu0sdofjdkfpsdlml;sdhklsdmfl;sdjklfjsdofjsdoirweklfjiopxuvisdjgiugiwerhjfiosdiofdiovditiovdpgftjdv

Last edited:

Krathoon

Apparently, the PC version does not have the cool credits of the Xbox version. They had some humorous voice clips like they did with Baulder's Gate.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Jade Empire is when I broke up with Bioware. I really should revisit this at some point but I hated the game at release.

Top Bottom