• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA5 Single Player : PS5 or PC??

Bojji

You tried running it on a Pentium 90 or something? This is top tier BS.

Native (good) implementation of HDR and TAA, PS5 is really quite good.

PC have other advantages but I'm fucking salty that I can't access it anymore on EGS for some reason (RSC won't let me play, suggest to log in to some bullshit account and I'm sure I used my standard email when I activated this game). Fuck them.

violence

PS5

The PC version has a problem with stuttering. PS5 has HDR, controller haptics and that nice suspend state which is nice for longer games like this. I’m normally a PC guy, but this is a rare case where I prefer the console version.

GametimeUK

If you're not looking to mod the game and just want an out of the box experience then PS5 is better than PC if you're playing at 60fps.

I recall the image quality being much better on PS5 than PC at the same resolution.

Killer8

PS5 if you want vanilla. Image quality is better with TAA, they improved the flickering SSAO, depth of field actually works at high res, and there is both ray traced shadows and reflections added in a later patch, which still haven't been added to PC. The DuelSense haptics are also quite nice.

nkarafo

This is one of the worst, most confusing comparison videos. They randomly mix low settings PC, high settings PC, performance/fidelity console settings.

From what i could gather, PC version has better anisotropic filtering. And Michael's hair had a glitch on console at some point. And the explosions look better on PC.

Also, PC low settings is not the equivalent of console performance mode. That would be a "balanced" PC settings.

But this is IGN. Too lazy to figure out what settings do what. They are not Digital Foundry so why even bother doing comparison videos?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I generally play it on PC because my TV only does 120 fps via interpolation. Would generally prefer the options and mods you get on PC as well. Since you own both though, I would play where you get the best performance. It sounds like PC but I don't know the rest of your setuip.

For instance, are you playing on a TV regardless of the platform? If not then you are choosing between a typically smaller monitor vs a larger TV. If screen size matters, particularly for cutscenes and such, I'd go with PS5. Or you might prefer a smaller screen...so then, PC.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It sounds like you're willing to use mods, so I'd say playing on PC is a no-brainer. Not even so much for the graphics but rather because you have the ability to improve things like vehicle deformation so it's not completely pathetic compared to GTA IV, stuff like that.

SoloCamo

Always PC

I don't think I want to replay it any time soon but the mods recently are something that is making it tempting

NVE :

I can't believe the anisotropic filtering on consoles. When they drive at 2:15. I keep seeing console games with settings I haven't seen since nearly 2 decades. I was on anisotropic filtering 16x since probably Serious Sam 2001. The hell is that. Performance seems atrocious too.

This is such a big gripe for me. Console devs ignore AF as if it's hard to run at all.... Makes almost zero performance difference but the visual quality change is massive.

yamaci17

This is such a big gripe for me. Console devs ignore AF as if it's hard to run at all.... Makes almost zero performance difference but the visual quality change is massive.
visual change is massive if you're primarily playing on a monitor or if you're somewhat close to your TV than the average casual player is

there's a reason blurry TAA became so widespread because it is only a problem up close or on a monitor (so you need extremely high resolutions to fix it). while a ps4/one s + TV user from a medium/long distance does not even care how blurry RDR 2 is at 1080p and 864p respectively

all graphics design choices are made for people who play at long distances at this point. and for that reason, it is easy to see why devs would set it to 4x and forget because realistically their main target of userbase won't care/notice

that is also why nvidia/amd etc. has dedicated AF enhancer settings even in their control panel. because if 4x was the untweakable standard on PC, it would cause massive outcries.

look at horizon forbidden west. had ugly overdone sharpening on console for 2 years. barely anyone complains. you bring the same sharpening to PC version and forums are full of complaints about it. because sharpening does not look good and creates a lot of artifacts that are noticable if you're close to your screen.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
visual change is massive if you're primarily playing on a monitor or if you're somewhat close to your TV than the average casual player is
If you can't see that bad level of AF or you need glasses or you are too far from your screen plus missing to see tons of details in your games.

Last edited:
The PS5 version has ray tracing that was never added to the PC version

Well that's pretty messed up. I just installed and started playing the game yesterday as I never finished it. Been looking around for mods that don't hurt FPS as I'm hovering around 100FPS (on Ultra) on vanilla version.

Having no raytracing on PC is just dumb. There has to be a mod out there that implements it. Would likely take a hit to FPS but I've got enough headroom for that.

YCoCg

Well that's pretty messed up. I just installed and started playing the game yesterday as I never finished it. Been looking around for mods that don't hurt FPS as I'm hovering around 100FPS (on Ultra) on vanilla version.

Having no raytracing on PC is just dumb. There has to be a mod out there that implements it. Would likely take a hit to FPS but I've got enough headroom for that.
The functions are not in the PC version because Rockstar straight up don't give a shit about PC players, the game doesn't use the higher resolution textures and extra detail models added in the PS5/XSX versions (mainly vehicle related).

Pimpbaa

PS5 beccause of HDR. I played it on my series x when the game was on game pass and its implementation is pretty good once you have the right in game hdr settings. Plus you got ray traced shadows at 60fps. RT reflections require 30fps however.

Top Bottom