• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's settle the score: Jak, Ratchet or Sly?

Which game do you like the most (PICK 3)

• Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

Votes: 49 37.7%
  • Jak II

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Jak 3

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Ratchet & Clank

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • Going Commando

Votes: 36 27.7%
  • Up Your Arsenal

Votes: 35 26.9%
  • Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • Sly 2: Band of Thieves

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves

Votes: 10 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jak 3 was my favorite of the Jak games.

I am really surprised that so many chose Ratchet and Clank, which refers to the first game. That is often everyones least favorite.

Could be a vote for the series. I'm surprised R&C is winning in such a landslide, I expected Jak to be closer.

Jak 2's tone and setting hold up really well. It's not stupid grimdark that comes off as corny like WW. The change in tone is held up by very good characters, dialogue, story, etc. I think they did a great job with that.

It definitely doesn't take itself as seriously as WW, still the edginess is a sign of its time. We were roughly 6 months away from Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge at the time, angst was on the rise and quickly replacing the mascot with attitude era.

daninthemix

I only played 1 game in each series:

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Sly Cooper 1

I enjoyed them all about the same actually. And in each case, not enough to motivate me to get any of the sequels. They are all perfectly fine games.

johntown

Banned
Tough choice but I had to go with Ratchet and Clank. Those games are just all around fun, My second choice would be Sly Cooper.

latest

Give me a remake of Jak 1-3. Instead of Eco being weapon focused, give me Fire Jak, Wind Jack, Rock Jak, Water Jak.
elementals_by_sage525_d619n7p-fullview.jpg

First Ratchet was the best, but I have a soft spot for Jak 3. I dont understand why yellow Eco gave you fire balls in the first game, dark eco gave you dark powers in the second, then there white eco jak in the third... but made the rest of the eco into bullets. Makes no sense.

radewagon

It's kinda cool to see such differing opinions. Like, I agree with a lot of what's said, but then disagree with much of the nuance. For my money, copying AV AV 's awesome idea:

S Tier - Sly Cooper 1 & 3, Jak 1, Ratchet & Clank 2 & 3
A Tier - Sly Cooper 2, Ratchet and Clank 1
B Tier - Jak 3
C Tier -
D Tier - Jak 2

..... Jak 2... ugh. I don't mind the emo thing actually. Like others have said, it's a product of it's time. I can respect that. But the gameplay is garbage. It's a game built around open world city traversal where all of the vehicles are a chore to control.

Why not all of them?
IMO out of the 23 games these 3 franchises spawned only 4 games i would consider bad.
Jak the lost frontier, Ratchet 2 multiplayer games on PS3 and that weird PlayStation Move game.
The rest i consider well worth at least a playthrough, especially the 2 Ratchet PSP games and Daxter which a lot of people ignore or hate on for whatever reason.

Pejo

Gold Member
I didn't really like the Jak games, so I voted Up your Arsenal, I had a ton of fun with that game.

I also never played the Sly series. Maybe I should go back and give them a try.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Do I play Ratchet and Clank for the first time on PS4 or Vita?

Opinions on the R&C 2016 game are mixed. It looks and plays great, but they butchered the story and characters because they wanted to tie it closer to the film. Still, if you dont care that much about the R&C Universe, it’s probably the one to get.

I’m not sure how the Vita port is, but the Jak one was awful (like 20fps awful). I think the best way to play the original is the PS3 one.

GametimeUK

Opinions on the R&C 2016 game are mixed. It looks and plays great, but they butchered the story and characters because they wanted to tie it closer to the film. Still, if you dont care that much about the R&C Universe, it’s probably the one to get.

I’m not sure how the Vita port is, but the Jak one was awful (like 20fps awful). I think the best way to play the original is the PS3 one.

Thanks, dude. I was thinking about the PS3 version, but I can't be bothered setting the console up.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Battle of the Nintendo wannabes!

Sly Cooper was the only one that was consistently good. Jak was hit or miss. Actually, it was more like the first game was good, and the rest of the series can just fuck off. Ratchet was as consistent as Sly, but it was consistently boring. Such a polished game that never really rose above mediocrity for me.

R&C 2016's story was butchered because the devs resigned most of their creative control over to hollywood for the story in order to get the movie made (look into it and read between the lines if you dont believe me). There is a reason why the story is told by an unreliable narrator. If it wasn't, I'd call it the biggest mistep in the series history. Even with the unreliable narrator, its sort of a lame excuse to release what R&C 2016 became.

They didnt even include a lot of the good levels, like Gemlik Moonbase. I'd have been happier with a true remaster.

HE1NZ

Banned
I loved Sly 1 and 2, but hated 3 for some reason. Felt like a bunch of shoddy mini games. Jak 1 is great, but 2 and 3 are meh. Played only the first Ratchet, it was pretty cool.

Top Bottom