• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Nintendo's release schedule for games on 3DS and Wii U (2015/2016)!

Raide

Long wait for X. Only game I interested in at this point unless Nintendo bust something else out at E3.

Wait Splatoon is made on a small budget? (OP lists it next to Mario Maker) I didn't realize that.

I suppose I could see a 3DS successor in late 2016, but they could stretch it out. They don't have any competition, and Sony won't be making a Vita followup. They might try to ride this out like the original Gameboy.

I'm betting that Star Fox comes fairly late in the year, so I agree with September. I might even say October.

As for Zelda, it could be 2015, it could be 2016. I was never one of those who said that Smash was going to be delayed, since I knew they'd move heaven and earth to get that out before the holidays. I don't believe the same for Zelda. I'm not sure why people are drawing parallels between them, since they have a different appeal and Zelda doesn't have the same worldwide demographic that Smash has. I could be totally wrong and Zelda might sell like crazy, but I just don't see the connection.

keakster

Hopefully we will get at least some insight into future plans during the investor briefing tonight (8:00 PM EST)

Personally I'm praying that they do not release Xenoblade X and Zelda U close together, don't want my backlog to get too big. I am also not really worried about 2016 plans ATM, there are enough titles to fill out the rest of 2015 that will carry me through.

Axass

Sorry if this comes off as too critical or nitpicky. This is a good topic of discussion, and I want to see its OP as accurate as possible. Good job on making it!

OP, you mixed up former and latter in the second post. Thanks for putting this stuff together.

Great compilation, and knowing that more's coming is exciting.

Pokémon Shuffle hasn't been dated beyond "February" yet, and as stated isn't Game Freak :)

Thanks for the corrections! Also I'm not a native English speaker, so sorry if the wording I used is sometimes weird.

Great OP, Axass. I agree with most of it. Your predictions are a lot more reasonable and realistic than many of the ones I see bandied about.

*snip*

One possible game I didn't see you mention is the rumored "Nintendo pays for exclusivity to save it from the dead" title. Basically a third case of Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third. Very vague and no sure thing at all, but I can see it happening (not sure with what, though) and it's another possibility for the 2016 lineup.

I'd say I've been a little too optimistic, especially talking about Europe, I seriously hope they do release everything this year.

I remember that rumour, however there's really zero info about what it could possibly be, we don't even know if the rumour has any ground. I guess I'll put a paragraph under 2016 about that and about the much talked about remasters.

Lernaean

Banned
Just saw this on twitter. Iwata says there are more unannounced games for the WiiU and that...
“Wii U is not over yet. I want to continue to build on playing on people’s high expectations [for the system].”

We'll have to wait for E3 i guess.

jariw

I could see some possible hints towards a future F-Zero game on the Wii U. The MK8 DLC made quite a good work to promote the franchise. Miyamoto didn't deny the possibility of a F-Zero game when being asked about it by Smosh.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I still think they're going to announce a new handheld this E3, them releasing an iteration on the 3DS doesn't mean all that much.

Are people thinking we might get character DLC for Smash? I could see them releasing a few that tie in to new Wii U games (Inkling, Cpt. Toad etc.)

MagnesD3

I still think they're going to announce a new handheld this E3, them releasing an iteration on the 3DS doesn't mean all that much.

Are people thinking we might get character DLC for Smash? I could see them releasing a few that tie in to new Wii U games (Inkling, Cpt. Toad etc.)

Smash dlc wise depends if nintendo makes sakurai do it or not. He clearly seems super uncaring about doing dlc.

DizzyCrow

Wait Splatoon is made on a small budget? (OP lists it next to Mario Maker) I didn't realize that.

I suppose I could see a 3DS successor in late 2016, but they could stretch it out. They don't have any competition, and Sony won't be making a Vita followup. They might try to ride this out like the original Gameboy.

I'm betting that Star Fox comes fairly late in the year, so I agree with September. I might even say October.

As for Zelda, it could be 2015, it could be 2016. I was never one of those who said that Smash was going to be delayed, since I knew they'd move heaven and earth to get that out before the holidays. I don't believe the same for Zelda. I'm not sure why people are drawing parallels between them, since they have a different appeal and Zelda doesn't have the same worldwide demographic that Smash has. I could be totally wrong and Zelda might sell like crazy, but I just don't see the connection.
Well, a Musou spin-off shipped 1 million WW in three months.

Axass

I think Ill cry if it costs like $10 dollars for 3 levels or something retarded like that :(

That would be horrible. ;_;

Hopefully we will get at least some insight into future plans during the investor briefing tonight (8:00 PM EST)

Personally I'm praying that they do not release Xenoblade X and Zelda U close together, don't want my backlog to get too big. I am also not really worried about 2016 plans ATM, there are enough titles to fill out the rest of 2015 that will carry me through.

I think there's nothing to worry about 2016, not until E3 at least. Up until last year's E3 we didn't know anything about 2015 for example, then we got a sudden blowout.

We're already getting Mewtwo, it's a matter of whether Sakurai wants to make more or not. I'm thinking there will be more stuff, when the 3DS version was datamined we found many pics and leftover data implying they were already thinking about it (in-game link to the eshop, arrows to allow DLC characters and stages, etc).

Wii U 2015-

Everything that's already announced.

Wii U 2016-

JBViQ.jpg
This is literally what people said about Wii U's 2015 lineup before E3. I'm sure 2016 will see some drop-off from 2014/2015 but NOTHING AT ALL seems like stretching it.

Roo

Yep, I hope it is[/QUOTE]
I don't care if it's an Other M or Prime sequel.
Just confirm the damn thing!

[quote="leroidys, post: 149551955"]I'm realllly hoping that we'll get some MK8 style DLC for Smash this year.[/QUOTE]
lol

I too nearly expect and especially hope we finally get an official word on the 4DS at March or April when their next meeting comes, as they announced the 3DS and Wii U at that very meeting in 2010 and 2011 respectively.

It's time. Had 3DS came out in November 2010 like most next-gen Nintendo hardware, that would've made 3DS 5 years old this coming November, which even if it's 11 months from now, that time will come before you know it.

And most hardware lasts for 5 years. Often times 4 if it's under-performing (looking at you Wii U). DS and Wii got lucky for being huge sellers so they were allowed, sadly, to stick for 6 years (a bit longer for DS due to the late release of the 3DS as mentioned).

3DS is way past its prime and it's not like Nintendo or 3rd-parties are showering it with new games, especially Nintendo, and for good reason. Nintendo needs to focus preferably exclusively on Wii U between the two since 3rd-parties are doing nearly squat.

4DS will hopefully have a big opening with lots of good stuff at launch and on the horizon afterward. Especially as 3DS proved yet again never to underestimate Nintendo handhelds, especially in Japan, hopefully they'll be quicker to be on board this time. And 3DS was looking dire in 2011, remember that? :p

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I remember that rumour, however there's really zero info about what it could possibly be, we don't even know if the rumour has any ground. I guess I'll put a paragraph under 2016 about that and about the much talked about remasters.

Oh yeah, the remaster rumor. That's worth putting under 2016 as a possibility, I think. Nintendo keeps things so close to the vest that speculating a year or more out requires reliance on rumor and looking at when teams last put out a game.

I could see some possible hints towards a future F-Zero game on the Wii U. The MK8 DLC made quite a good work to promote the franchise. Miyamoto didn't deny the possibility of a F-Zero game when being asked about it by Smosh.

I think that seems more plausible than a new Punch-Out, honestly. I'd like to point to Captain Falcon Amiibos getting restocks while Little Mac Amiibos only got one shipment and are now rare as a unicorn. That's relevant because Nintendo has said that it'll print more of a certain Amiibo only if its series has a future and will get a game somewhat soon.

Caramello

Next generation portable isn't coming before Q4 2016.

Why? Because it needs a decent launch line up and games in its first year. Nintendo doesn't have the capacity to support a decent launch for a new platform any earlier than late into 2016.

I could even see them launching in 2017 if need be.

On the Wii U front, it will clearly have it's best year with software support this year but I expect a fairly solid year in 2016 before focus shifts to next generation development which would give the Wii U at least until Q4 2017 until it is replaced. Again, I don't think Nintendo will launch unless they have a solid software line up ready.

18-Volt

Here's my speculation about western 2015/2016 lineup for 3DS;

May: Yokai Watch, Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX
June: Final Fantasy Explorers
July: Lords of Magna
August: Atelier Roronoa, Little Battlers Xperience, Etrian Odyssey Untold 2
September: Rhythm Heaven 3DS, Legend of Legacy (Atlus, probably)
October: Pokémon Z (or what it'll be called), Senran Kagura 2
November: Fire Emblem If, Yokai Watch 2
December: Bravely Second, Tales of the World Reve Unitia
January: Great Ace Attorney

March: Next Handheld

Nintendo would announce couple of more titles for 3DS, like WarioWare, Golden Sun or an Excite game. Maybe another New 3DS game, Twilight Princess. But nothing will affect decreasing the 3DS sales, not even New 3DS (no regular one in US, lol). Nintendo will eventually announce next handheld either this E3 or in a Direct end of the year.

Sterok

Devil's Third or Yoshi could still fill out April for Wii U in the west. At least, theoretically. Yoshi at least should make June by the latest. Zelda should be locked for November at the moment. We know too little about Star Fox to make accurate judgements there except before November. Mario Maker feels like a late summer title by now. Hopefully Xenoblade comes out around August, because if it comes in October the Wii U will get 2 giant open worlds back to back, which would be hard to play. SMT x FE and Pokken are probably 2016, and everything else we don't know enough about.

As for 3DS, remember going into 2015 we only knew about Steam, Xenoblade, Fossil Fighters, and Majora's Mask for first party titles. Now we can add Puzzle & Dragons Mario, Fire Emblem, and Rhythm Heaven to that list. We can get some quick reveals and releases throughout the year, and there will hopefully be enough localizations from Japan to keep us occupied. I'm mostly curious about when we're getting Youkai Watch. That's the best chance of the 3DS getting a second wind (very small, but possible), so I hope everyone involved treats it well.

Axass

I think that seems more plausible than a new Punch-Out, honestly. I'd like to point to Captain Falcon Amiibos getting restocks while Little Mac Amiibos only got one shipment and are now rare as a unicorn. That's relevant because Nintendo has said that it'll print more of a certain Amiibo only if its series has a future and will get a game somewhat soon.

I think it might be more related to the fact that the Captain Falcon amiibo can be used in MK8 as well as in Smash (so there's bound to be more demand for it), while Little Mac can only be used in Smash.

May: Yokai Watch, Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX
November: Fire Emblem If, Yokai Watch 2

Two Yo-Kai Watch in a year might be overkill. Even the three Inazuma Eleven on NDS, when localized in EU years after the originals came out, got only one release per year anyway.

18-Volt

Two Yo-Kai Watch in a year might be overkill. Even the three Inazuma Eleven on NDS, when localized in EU years after the originals came out, got only one release per year anyway.

2015 lineup is pretty empty. and with the huge success of Yokai Watch in Japan, I can see them overkilling it with releasing both in same year.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, is "If" actually in the next Fire Emblems name? I saw it a few times, but thought it was some weird typo, lol.

Yeah, there is some interesting evidence for Metroid's inevitable return, but I don't think the game(s) will be released this year.Well, at least not for Wii U. However, they could be potentially announced at E3. Nintendo already has 10 confirmed games for Wii U, including Mario vs. DK eshop release. We're still waiting for potential news on Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei. Miyamoto mentioned Wii U having more spin-off titles in 2015, but he could have been referring to Fire Emblem X SMT as one of them. I doubt we'll see Fatal Frame 5 localized. Also, Nintendo teased us about sharing future news on Animal Crossing Wii U, so we could get an announcement and potential release this year to accompany Zelda Wii U as a fall holiday- scheduled title , otherwise it could slip into 2016 for all we know.

2016 could see the localization of Pokken Tournament as well as Retro Studios game and perhaps a Mario Sports title too (Wii U is kind of due for one of those, isn't it?). It will probably be a smaller software schedule for Wii U than in 2015, but we could see some other surprise games like another cross over Dynasty Warriors title. Perhaps one based off of Fire Emblem, a series that did well on the 3DS both in Japan and overseas. Hyrule Warriors recent news of selling a million copies ( think that update came out earlier today) must be good news for Tecmo Koei and Nintendo, and given the short development time of Hyrule Warriors, Tecmo could churn out another Dynasty Warriors cross over by next year.
SMTxFE :mad:
Wait, is "If" actually in the next Fire Emblems name? I saw it a few times, but thought it was some weird typo, lol.

Yes, Fire Emblem if is the official name for the next Fire Emblem in Japan. It doesn't have an official name in the West, yet.

Here is my guess for titles not already dated:

April- MK8 DLC
May- Smash DLC
Project Guard(?)
June- Splatoon
July- Project Giant Robot
August- Mario Maker
September- Pokemon Z/Star Fox
October- Yoshis wooly world
November- Zelda

Those are my guesses for what has been announced. Obviously there are more titles to be anounced and I suspect Project Guard, Project Giant Robot and Star Fox may be tied together in some fashion.

MagnesD3

Here is my guess for titles not already dated:

April- MK8 DLC
May- Smash DLC
Project Guard(?)
June- Splatoon
July- Project Giant Robot
August- Mario Maker
September- Pokemon Z/Star Fox
October- Yoshis wooly world
November- Zelda

Those are my guesses for what has been announced. Obviously there are more titles to be anounced and I suspect Project Guard, Project Giant Robot and Star Fox may be tied together in some fashion.

Im gonna be super bummed out if guard, robot, and star fox are bundled together. I hate how star fox gets treated :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think it might be more related to the fact that the Captain Falcon amiibo can be used in MK8 as well as in Smash (so there's bound to be more demand for it), while Little Mac can only be used in Smash.

That could be. Captain Falcon's also used in the new Ace Combat game coming out next month.

quabba

Oh crap I didnt relaise the eu date for steam was two months after the na date. Does anyone know if it has any n3ds functions?

At that stage I will have a NA XL and an EU new XL so I can eshop/imoorr if it has no n3ds enchancements

AmyS

Is that a good idea? It will just bring us to the same spot again 5 to 6 years from now where they are in 3rd place sales wise, have no 3rd party support, and have an underpowered console compared to Sony/Microsoft.

But Nintendo is kind of in between a rock and a hard place.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

They'll be either too late or too early.

For them, it's about introducing new hardware at the least worst time.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Yup. And despite being someone who's willing to buy Nintendo hardware for first party exclusives and their general effort to keep their hardware affordable-ish, they would be in SUCH A BETTER state if they could actually cultivate third party support. The only way to do that in any significant way is to match Sony and MS in graphical power.

Calamari41

41 > 38

If Nintendo follows through with their common architecture and OS, and makes all of their games compatible across platforms and generations, it won't matter when they release hardware. Just release it like they release handheld revisions.

scamander

Banned
it's probably late due to translation woes, just like many other european titles, but they should manage to make it in time for April, so as to plug the hole in european releases.

a Summer release for NA wouldn't be out of the question in my opinion (still an optimistic guess), EU may prove a tad more difficult, due to the many different subs and to the current woes of NoE, maybe we'll finally get Kirby and the Rainbow Curse instead.

Why do people always insist that certain games are late in Europe, because of translations? Okay, some are of course, but that's not the case with ANY Nintendo game. Nintendo's games are translated from Japanese into English, German, French, Spanish, Italian etc. simultaneously. It takes more people, not more time! If a Nintendo game is released later in Europe than in the US, than that's usually a strategic decision. Not the result of unfinished translations.

Grief.exe

Majora's Mask was my first dream announcement from Nintendo, new Metroid is my other one.

A Retro developed 2.5D Metroid for 3DS/WiiU would round out an already solid year for Nintendo releases.

Axass

Why do people always insist that certain games are late in Europe, because of translations? Okay, some are of course, but that's not the case with ANY Nintendo game. Nintendo's games are translated from Japanese into English, German, French, Spanish, Italian etc. simultaneously. It takes more people, not more time! If a Nintendo game is released later in Europe than in the US, than that's usually a strategic decision. Not the result of unfinished translations.

Because NoE has recently let go lots of people and they're probably understaffed in the localization department: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/30/nintendo-of-europe-layoffs-involve-320-employees/

17cugx.png

From here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981515

Nintendo has released their new release schedule, nothing changed aside from Mario Maker now being "2015" instead of "1st half": the dream is dead, it's probably a Summer title now.

Cheebo

Banned
They won't wait till 2017 for a new handheld. 3DS sales have been plummeting, it won't last that long. They need it out in 16.

MilesTeg

Banned
Haha, I bet Mario Maker is a $60 holiday title at this point. Too much potential, too many people who will spend full retail price on it. Especially if they incorporate amiibo and online etc etc.

MilesTeg

Banned
They won't wait till 2017 for a new handheld. 3DS sales have been plummeting, it won't last that long. They need it out in 16.

3DS is outperforming Wii U at a 3:1 clip basically, and there is no dedicated portable gaming competition. The 3DS, imo, has more life left than people think, even though it's not great support on the whole.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Haha, I bet Mario Maker is a $60 holiday title at this point. Too much potential, too many people who will spend full retail price on it. Especially if they incorporate amiibo and online etc etc.

They would be wise to make the game robust enough to actually be worth that price.

But yeah, it's going to be $40 I'm sure.

Anth0ny

No way they're going to slap a $60 price tag on Mario Maker. If Toad is $40, Mario Maker will be $40.

Cheebo

Banned
3DS is outperforming Wii U at a 3:1 clip basically, and there is no dedicated portable gaming competition. The 3DS, imo, has more life left than people think, even though it's not great support on the whole.
Oigperfprming the Wii U is not impressive. 3DS sales are way way down compared to last year.
Latest report was down over 40% outside of Japan.

3DS is way past its prime and it's not like Nintendo or 3rd-parties are showering it with new games, especially Nintendo, and for good reason. Nintendo needs to focus preferably exclusively on Wii U between the two since 3rd-parties are doing nearly squat.

Strangely, this is exactly what makes me think that releasing a 4DS in the near future would be disastrous. Nintendo can't spare the resources to produce tons of games for a brand new platform right now. If we've learned anything from the DS's and 3DS's early years at life, it should be that new nintendo handheld push 3rd parties away.

I think a lot of people have forgotten how disastrous the 3DS's launch was. It was priced too high yes, but that wasn't the only problem. It didn't begin selling well until Nintendo released a stream of heavy hitters. And as they did so, the Wii lay dormant.

Top Bottom