• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

list five of your personal GOTY Indies from the past half decade.

Fbh

2017: Hollow Knight.
I still like Breath of the Wild and Nier Automata better, but I think it's an amazing game and my favorite Metroidvania to date.

2019: The Outer Wilds
Honestly a game of the gen contender to me, though Sekiro from that year is also one of my favorite games of the gen.

2020: Hades.
Might be my goty that year. I also really enjoyed FF7 Remake though I think Hades is the better and more consistent game

2022: Chained Echoes.
My runner up for Goty after Elden Ring. One of the best JRPG-style games I've played since like the Ps1 era-

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Dead Cells
Blasphemous
Hollow Knight
Timbleweed Parks
Beyond a Steel Sky

Can't remember when they were released exactly, maybe some released in the same year, but these are the best I've played in the last five years.

bender

What time is it?
Spelunky 2 is one of the biggest disappointments of my lifetime.

Windjammers 2 and Infernax are two of my recent favorites. I'm struggling to come up with five though.

I really want to try Pizza Tower out. And if you like Vampire Survivors and Diablo, give Halls of Torment a whirl. It's been eating up my time.

I'm listing these as my favourite indies over the past few years, not necessarily personal GOTY for whatever year they were released and in no particular order:

Dead Cells
The Messenger
Hades
Tales of Iron
Prodeus
Inscryption
Tunic
UnMetal
Celeste
Hand of Fate
Children of Morta
Hollow Knight
Guacamelee 2

Haven't had an indie this year that rocked my world the way these games did, maybe Sea of Stars will do it, maybe Hades 2 gets a 2023 surprise release (lol), let's see what happens.

EDIT: forgot about Slay the Spire 👌

Last edited:
I am just going to list my favorites from several years prior as nothing recent in indie scene has blown me away:

Hope Lake (2016)
An atmospheric puzzle/hidden object adventure game that follows a detective investigating the disappearance of a young woman. Has a few issues, but is memorable as hell.

Cuphead (2017)
A boss rush focused run n' gun game in classic animation. Kicks your ass, but is a joy to play and watch.

Shaolin vs Wutang (2018)
A fighting game that pays homage to martial arts cinema. Pretty awesome to play locally as well.

Steel Sword Story (2019)
A medieval fantasy sidescroller with cool sprites and action. It also feels good to give meaningful upgrades to the protagonist over the course of the game.

Baldo: The Guardian Owls (2021)
A classic 3D zelda clone with Studio Ghibli aesthetics and presentation done right is mind blowing.

I would also like to give an honorable mention to 2021's Them and Us. It is basically a clone of Resident Evil, but contains more metaphysical concepts with malevolent entities from another dimension and dimension hopping.

P.S. I intended to add Thymesia to the list, but I got burned out on it. Also, by the end of this year my list will likely replace Steel Sword Story with Sea of Stars, which is looking to be a great JRPG, but has yet to release.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
In no specific order, and just the 5 that come to my mind off the top.

Tunic
Signalis
Vampire Survivors
Norco
Chained Echoes

Sea of Stars is coming soon and looks like it'll be a in that list soon, based on the demo.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Spelunky 2 is one of the biggest disappointments of my lifetime.
explain

Confused Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

Merkades

Ones I played or am playing.
Crystal Project
Chained Echoes

Ones who's demo I played and believe to be great.
Sea of Stars
Wandering Sword

No clue on fifth, I may add it later. Maybe Deedlit in Wonderland, I liked it enough I guess.

Rogue Legacy 2
Children of Morta
Undermine
The Messenger

It's hard to think of another, but if you count gameplay rather than the company involved, perhaps the Phoenix Wright trilogy.

Robb

Gold Member
Hollow Knight
Celeste
Hades
Cuphead (if it’s considered indie)
Vampire Survivors

Last edited:

ryzen1

In the last 5 years I only played these:

Hades
Dead Cells
CrossCode
2022: Chained Echoes.
My runner up for Goty after Elden Ring. One of the best JRPG-style games I've played since like the Ps1 era-
Man this reminds me of Terranigma. I really need something like this. But without the stupid turn based combat system.

yansolo

can't remember off the top of my head but hollow knight and hades are two of the best games ive played ever

KàIRóS

1. Astilibra Revision (Action RPG unlike anything you've ever played, Odin Sphere is probably the closest thing)
2. Valdis Story: Abyssal City (Metroidvania similar to any Igavania but with even more RPG mechanics)
3. Ultra Age (Hack and Slash RPG similar to Nier: Automata)
4. Disco Elysium (WRPG similar to Planescape Torment)
5. Bug Fables (Turn Based RPG similar to Paper Mario)

Last edited:

Handel

Disco Elysium
Citizen Sleeper
Omori
Chained Echoes
Pentiment (indie by my definition of small team/budget)

Lots of ones I haven't gotten around to yet, from all I know about Outer Wilds it will become one of my all time favorite games once I play it

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
2023: Dave the Diver
2022: Cult of the Lamb
2021: Inscryption
2020: Hades
2019: Slay the Spire

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll start!

2023: Pizza Tower
2022: Shredder's Revenge
2021: Deltarune Chapter 2
2020: Spelunky 2
2019: The Outer Wilds
Returning to this thread to actually pick correctly per year now that I have a bit more time. It's not even fair to pick in 2022. Literally one of the most stacked years of all time in terms of indies. Could fill a full list just from 2022.
  • 2023: If I had to guess, it could easily be Cocoon which comes out next month. I have a lot of indies left to play this year. Been playing more larger games than usual this year. Harmony looks cool. Dordogne. Planet of Lana, Sea of Stars, tons more still to come this year.
  • 2022: Neon White
  • 2021: The Forgotten City
  • 2020: Hades
  • 2019: The Hong Kong Massacre

Roberts

Nobody Saves the World, Pentiment (not really indie, isn't it?), Tunic, Hades, Tinykin, Vampire Survivors, Cult of The Lamb, Death's Door, Echo Generation, Disco Elysium, Children of Morta, Blasphemous - Sorry for not being able to narrow it down to one game per year because all of them blew my mind.

It's funny how most of them were or are on GP.

Edit:

2019: Blasphemous
2020: Journey to the Savage Planet
2021: Hades
2022: Pentiment
2023: The Last Case of Benedict Fox (so far)

Last edited:

MagnesD3

1. Disco Elysium
2. Celeste
3. Bug Fables
4. Inscryption
5. Slay the Spire
6. Hades

Thats probably my favorite indies in the last few years.

Roberts

Refreshing to see someone else like it. I thought I was the only one. The game has issues, but the setting was so cool.
I definitely has issues, many of which they managed to fix when I got to play the whole game but I love exploring and the setting was awesome. I doubt it will be in my top 10 or maybe even top20 of the year, but as far as indies go this year, I haven't played a more memorable one yet.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I definitely has issues, many of which they managed to fix when I got to play the whole game but I love exploring and the setting was awesome. I doubt it will be in my top 10 or maybe even top20 of the year, but as far as indies go this year, I haven't played a more memorable one yet.
Very light year on indies this year, especially compared to the legendary 2022. I don't have a top pick even for this year yet, so honestly you're probably right.

Top Bottom