• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Longterm PC Gaming Enthusiasts, How often do you upgrade your GPU?

How often do you upgrade your enthusiant class GPU

• Every 0 to 2 years

Votes: 42 18.0%
  • Every 3 to 5 years

Votes: 134 57.5%
  • Every 6 years or more

Votes: 57 24.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raelgun

Pretty consistently upgraded every 2-3 years for a long time.. but not sure what happend 2012 to 2017 :messenger_grinning_smiling:

1997 - 3DFX Voodoo 1
1999 - Nvidia Riva TNT 2
2000 - Nvidia GeForce 2 GTS
2003 - Nvidia GeForce FX 5900
2005 - ATI Radeon X1950 Pro
2008 - ATI Radeon HD 4850
2010 - Nvidia GTX 470
2012 - Nvidia GTX 680
2017 - Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
2020 - Nvidia RTX 3080
2022 - Nvidia RTX 4090

Krathoon

I still got a 1080GTX. I will kind of upgrade to a 3060RTX. Probably should have got a 3070RTX, but it was back when cards were expensive.

Rival

Gold Member
The cards I have owned were a 660, 970, dual 970’s, 1080, then a 3080ti. I’ll probably build a new machine around the time the 5 series gpu’s from nvidia drop. So on average every 3ish years?

sendit

Buy the most cutting edge one, sit on it for 8-10 years, then do it again
What The Wtf GIF by Justin

Last edited:

CGNoire

I'm trying to settle an argument and so I'm curious to know how often gamers who mainly game on high-end PCs with high settings, and have been doing so for a while, upgrade their enthusiast class GPUs. Please only answer the poll if this applies to you.
5-6 years.

I always wait for the card that can run 3rd party games @4k maxed out with every bell, whiste and new tech from the current gen. Right now thats RTGI and other RT effects. Lets face it thats the only upgrade PCs will be getting this gen. So this gen that would mean a card that can handle UE5 4k maxed out with RT features at full res. I dont see a card available that can do that yet :/

Last edited:
I don’t follow a strict schedule, I buy the GPU that fits my use case and upgrade when I feel the need to. At first this was every few years (3 or 4) but I’ve sat with my 1070 for a while and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon. I play all the heavy hitters on console now. GPU prices are way too high to be constantly upgrading.

MetalRain

I upgraded more often when you got good models at 400-500€ range.

Now when lower-end models are costing that I'm upgrading less often. Currently I'm using GPU bought in early 2019, maybe next generation is the one where I upgrade again.

Good thing about current situation is that many games don't really need beefy GPU. Many games are targeting consoles first or try to be accessible for the widest audience possible. My setup is better than PS5 or Series X and I could probably use it until new consoles are released.

Last edited:
Had a 980ti I bought in Jan 2016, bought a 2080ti in May 2019. I had planned on replacing it in 2021 but I still haven’t needed to. I might finally pull the trigger if modded Starfield needs more grunt to hold 1440/60+ fps. We’ll see. I’ll wait for the 5080 if I can.

LQX

Use to be every generation as I could normally make back close to 75%, if not more of what I paid, but shit fell apart with these price increases. But that has sort of been a blessing as it forced me off of this mindset I needed to upgrade every year when a new card dropped. Only way I will now consider upgrading from my 3080 anytime soon is if Starfield runs like shit or if there is massive price shakeup.

yansolo

i do a full upgrade every 5+ years or once i notice my pc starting to struggle with newer games, but as i get older i begin to care less about ultra settings and having everything be top of the range, i have a 2070 currently and still runs fine

ShadowNate

It highly depends on my spare funds *and* on the GPU not being absurdly priced.
I make a point to upgrade when a new game that I really want to play will not perform well on my PC or if enough years have passed and the new hardware is like 2+ times faster than my own.
I don't care for 4K, and very little for RTX.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Pretty consistently upgraded every 2-3 years for a long time.. but not sure what happend 2012 to 2017 :messenger_grinning_smiling:

1997 - 3DFX Voodoo 1
1999 - Nvidia Riva TNT 2
2000 - Nvidia GeForce 2 GTS
2003 - Nvidia GeForce FX 5900
2005 - ATI Radeon X1950 Pro
2008 - ATI Radeon HD 4850
2010 - Nvidia GTX 470
2012 - Nvidia GTX 680
2017 - Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
2020 - Nvidia RTX 3080
2022 - Nvidia RTX 4090
ATI cards aside, we have a disturbingly similar upgrade path.

Varteras

Gold Member
Typically, every 5 years. Though it depends on what I bought. If for whatever reason I went a bit on the lower end at the time, I'll look to upgrade a little sooner.

Kakax11

Banned
Since Witcher 2 raw dogged my ATi pc back in 2012 i have been doing it every 2 years whenever leather jacket dude announces a new one

yamaci17

hd 4550 from 2008 to 2014
r7 265 from 2014 to 2019 (card died, if not for that, I'd keep using it. it runs sekiro all right. runs all them great indie games. shame it died while playing jedi fallen order. it ran that fine too actually)
gtx 1080 from 2019 to 2021 (second hand, got it for very cheap)
rtx 3070 from 2021 -

I would've kept 1080 for longer but I sold it for a lucrative deal and 3070 only cost me 250 bucks as a result. I couldn't pass the opportunity

on average it is 4.3 yrs. however I'm planning on keeping the 3070 at least until 2026-2027. I will have to see how UE5 games run on it. if it is going to be unplayable (1080p low <30 fps %1 lows) then it means ue5 games will literally be unplayable on %80 of the userbase. so I don't think UE5 will be unplayable on a 3070. but we will have to see. crazy times are upon us. but currently I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Whenever I can get (at least) double the performance of my current card at roughly the same price point.

...until Lovelace came along and fucked everything up.

So I'll probably be waiting around for the 7060 to replace my 3080.

Drizzlehell

Banned
With my last 3 GPUs it took about 3 years before I swapped them for a newer one but I got them at a significant discount and they were already a few years old at that point. My most recent one is RTX 3070 and I got it for 300 bucks in March this year. It still runs all games pretty well so I feel no need to change it for at least another 2-3 years.

Last edited:

CGNoire

No questions asked return policy for full refund of the original purchase price. Warranty cost is $150-$200 depending on price of the card.
How interesting. So every 2 years you get a new card and they get reimbursed for the money the would lose selling it used afterward. Sounds like a good deal for sure. I might have to do this.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Every gen it seems, that said only really last 2 gens before that I would always lag one gen behind. I never owned a 20 series.

I’ll prob skip 50 series or at least wait till the 5060ti, I’m done with the high end stuff. Rocking a 4070ti and does all I need to do.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Honestly, the scale is way too sparse.

There's a large difference between waiting 2 and 3 years, and a massive difference between 3 and 5 years.
OP should have done at least 1 year intervals. GPU generations have been taking 2 year cycles with a 1 year refresh in between.

flying_sq

How interesting. So every 2 years you get a new card and they get reimbursed for the money the would lose selling it used afterward. Sounds like a good deal for sure. I might have to do this.
It's pretty great, I bought a 6900xt over priced from them during COVID, basically got a 3090ti for free when the price dropped to 1600, waiting on a 4090ti then I'm going to return that.

ssringo

No real timeline. I upgrade when my current build starts struggling to maintain my standard with new releases I'm interested in. Currently that's 1440p/60fps so probably the next year or two.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Every second generation or if performance is still fine I skip even 2 generations.

• Radeon 9600
  • 6800GS (Modded to Ultra)
  • 8800GTS
  • GTX 260c216
  • GTX 570
  • GTX 770
  • GTX 1070
  • RTX 3070 -Swapped for a RTX 3080 due to Crypto craze

Im debating getting an RTX 40 now that the RTX50s have been delayed.

supernova8

Banned
Can't remember but the only relatively high-end cards I ever had were the Geforce 6800 GT (oh yeah the Nalu tech demo) and then the 8800 GTS. Oh and the Radeon X800XT around the time Half Life 2 came out.

More recently I had been rocking an RX 560, which I replaced with a GTX 1650, which I most recently replaced with an RX 6600XT.

I can afford to buy one of the high end GPUs but then I take a look in the mirror and realize that I probably won't game enough to justify the purchase anyway.

Valonquar

Playing MMOs and bargin sale titles I find I'm safe running older cards until they reach critical mass, then I buy 1 or 2 steps below whatever is bleeding edge. Hardware market is so gradual it just plain doesn't matter. Games are designed to run on the lowest common denominator to make money.

Drake

I got an RTX 2070 super right at the beginning of covid (like April 2020) before everything went crazy. That GPU is still going strong. I'm only a 1080p gamer though. I'll probably keep this GPU at least another 2 years, maybe 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom