• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Id Software Next Game is Indeed Quake Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Straight from the Job Listing "long-running iconic action FPS" that will feature "AAA quality sci-fi and fantasy environmental vistas and skyboxes."

It's either a sequel to DOOM Eternal or Quake. I am putting money down on Quake, because its being described as something we haven't seen for a while. Also, the recent release of Quake 1 Remaster and all that in August just kind of lines up.

Can't wait too see it, hope its a reboot.

Jennings

Hooray. I also hope it is single player.

I'm still waiting for Quake Champions to get out of early access, and then I'll play the multiplayer Quake, but I'd like the new release to have a campaign.

Superwave

Banned
Just hope it comes out on PS5. Expecting the worst tbh I think it's gotta/gonna be Xbox only :messenger_fearful:

Playing the original Quake right now and it holds up well, surprisingly. Fast and addictive.

Last edited:
Reactions: pab

Aldynes

Could be awesome, I love the stroggs in Quake 2/4 the whole body horror mixed with sci-fi, reminds me of the movie Virus (1999) I wonder how the game will turn out, maybe a mix between Quake 4 with gory kills and the level design of Doom 2016 a bit slower paced?

Could be a Quake 1 remake too, if it is I don't see how they will avoid to do a fast paced FPS like Doom 2016.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
It sure should be dark and sinister. With perfect level design. Just think Quake 1 with modern tech. I really hope they don't look to much at Doom as a comparison. Quake has a distinct tone and mood that needs to be captured.

I worry if they will be able to capture the level design. Replaying Quake 1 just reminds me how dense and creative some of the levels are - even more than original Doom, so many levels twist back onto themselves in interesting ways now that it is 3D, often without you even realizing it until you look over an edge and have a "wtf, I'm up here???" moment. Games just really aren't made that way anymore and if a new Quake doesn't capture it I don't know why I would bother playing.

I haven't gotten to the new episodes yet they included with the Quake port, and I'm really curious to see how they are.

RAIDEN1

Imagine if the 32x had a version of the original Quake...could it handle it? Albeit in a trimmed down way...

Mess

Hmmm quake was always about multiplayer and QC was really disappointing.

Whether it's SP or MP, I hope the movement has proper/deep physics unlike the DOOM games.

RAIDEN1

It could barely even handle a port of Doom. Saturn had a Quake port that was considered a miracle basically. Apparently there was also a PSX Quake port but it never found a publisher.
....Which is interesting (about the PSX version) when you have a version on the leading 32-bit format in town, and yet nobody wants to publish it...

Last edited:

ckaneo

I hope this isnt one of those moments where people predict something definitively and then bitch when they dont get it

Wildebeest

The "slipgate" story of Quake was designed to explain away why all the levels felt so disjointed and tie them together into some sort of story. Then, the different employees there had a very different idea of what the "theme" actually was. Was it about Lovecraft, Cyborgs, somebodies teenaged D&D characters? Who knows. All of these, none of these.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Doom Eternal was basically Quake with all the fantasy stuff.
Doom Eternal at its fastest doesn't come close, sorry.

Doom Eternal is more like a faster paced Painkiller with a bigger emphasis on platforming.

Allandor

Well the game is really old right now. Not so many current players have played it yet because it is so old. So why not?
E.g. spider man gets a new "old" film with the same story about every 19 years with a new actor. There is always a new audience after such a time.
Remakes are not bad. Games are now old enough that remakes really make sense.

Wildebeest

Remember that basically none of the old duffers who go on about the glory days of the arena shooter will buy into any new game. Certainly not to no life the game like they did when they were a teenager and were willing to do what it takes to not be totally humiliated by other players.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I hope its actually good unlike Doom 2016 and the Wolfenstein games. Levels that make no sense and you get easily lost it, and having to melee everyone after shooting them 20 times isn't fun.

OG Quake was an amazing game.

VN1X

Banned
Straight from the Job Listing "long-running iconic action FPS" that will feature "AAA quality sci-fi and fantasy environmental vistas and skyboxes."

It's either a sequel to DOOM Eternal or Quake. I am putting money down on Quake, because its being described as something we haven't seen for a while. Also, the recent release of Quake 1 Remaster and all that in August just kind of lines up.

Can't wait too see it, hope its a reboot.
Oh my god can we stop with these dumb fuckin' threads about job openings? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I had my expectations low going into this thread but even then I leave disappointed. Not even a concept art of official cryptic teaser.

Fuck you.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Not a fan of the newer Dooms. I can’t be specific as to why. They are forgettable unlike the originals.
They need to take a different path with Quake than follow the Doom formula.
Quake is an outstanding IP. Please get it right id.

Duchess

Quake 5 - The Strogg will attempt to create a space folding system* and end up opening a portal to the netherworld. You'll then have to find a way to close the portal, while dodging Shamblers going toe-to-toe with Tanks.

(* - yes, like in Dune)

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Quake 5 - The Strogg will attempt to create a space folding system* and end up opening a portal to the netherworld. You'll then have to find a way to close the portal, while dodging Shamblers going toe-to-toe with Tanks.

(* - yes, like in Dune)
How about the Strogg just go back to their home planet (and die on the way).

MiguelItUp

Make it dark, gothic and lovecraftian pls
Yup. Good campaign and multiplayer please.

I know a lot of people hated on 2016 and Eternal for the new things. But I really enjoyed them for what they were. My biggest issue was how they approached multiplayer. 2016 was ALMOST there, but it was ruined with load outs IMO. Eternal gave us Battle Mode, which no one really plays, lol.

I'm really curious to see what they could and would do to make a Quake reboot feel more distinctive. With 2016 and Eternal becoming what they were, it definitely blurred the line between DOOM and Quake gameplay in a variety of ways.

I'm real curious to see what new mechanics they'd introduce in a reboot. But what I really want is a campaign and multiplayer, that feels like Quake.

Yup. Good campaign and multiplayer please.

I know a lot of people hated on 2016 and Eternal for the new things. But I really enjoyed them for what they were. My biggest issue was how they approached multiplayer. 2016 was ALMOST there, but it was ruined with load outs IMO. Eternal gave us Battle Mode, which no one really plays, lol.

I'm really curious to see what they could and would do to make a Quake reboot feel more distinctive. With 2016 and Eternal becoming what they were, it definitely blurred the line between DOOM and Quake gameplay in a variety of ways.

I'm real curious to see what new mechanics they'd introduce in a reboot. But what I really want is a campaign and multiplayer, that feels like Quake.
My personal opionion is that they need to make the enviroment and character/enemy designs more realistic and grounded. Make it gritty. If they continue their enemy design from Doom the game won’t get its own identity and will always be compared to that. It needs to be very different. Art wise at least.

Thief1987

All their attempts to bring back Quake in the last 20 years failed miserably. So i don't have any confidence that this one will be successful.

Wildebeest

All their attempts to bring back Quake in the last 20 years failed miserably. So i don't have any confidence that this one will be successful.
Quake was never as big a name as Doom, so I don't see how there is a problem of it being brought back as much as it being too expensive to constantly modernize with rising costs. Basically all the developments in Quake since Quake 4 have been attempts to throw the Quake 3 Arena community a bone while keeping costs down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom