• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Id Software Next Game is Indeed Quake Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiguelItUp

My personal opionion is that they need to make the enviroment and character/enemy designs more realistic and grounded. Make it gritty. If they continue their enemy design from Doom the game won’t get its own identity and will always be compared to that. It needs to be very different. Art wise at least.
Definitely. I agree with this entirely. I think pursuing the realistic, gritty, and dark art style rather than cartoon-y and exaggerated would be a good first step. I truly hope they lean extra hard into the Lovecraftian influence and style.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Just hope it comes out on PS5. Expecting the worst tbh I think it's gotta/gonna be Xbox only :messenger_fearful:

Playing the original Quake right now and it holds up well, surprisingly. Fast and addictive.
Literally 0% chance it comes out on PS5. Microsoft didn't pay $8bil to make games for their competition.

Quake 2 feeling campaign + Quake 3 arena MP please! I won't play the campaign, but that one was great back in the day. I need more Quake 3 type MP.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
goes olivia munn GIF

I'm ready to receive!!!!!!

Lanrutcon

I can see this being fucked up.

Quake has had a rocky history. Quake 1 was gothic adventure, Quake 2 was sci-fi, Quake 3 was faster than your mom in her teens and Quake 4 was crap.

The revival could pick up any of those threads and run with it.

Worst case scenario? Doom Eternal reskin with a Quake logo because it's a safe financial choice.

Superwave

Banned
Literally 0% chance it comes out on PS5. Microsoft didn't pay $8bil to make games for their competition.
Doesn't Quake 1 on PS suggest more than zero % chance?

I would never buy more than one console so if previous multiplatform games are going exclusive to one console maybe the future is PC since it looks like Sony are porting games over there more and more these days and MS games go there too.

kuncol02

Banned
Doesn't Quake 1 on PS suggest more than zero % chance?

I would never buy more than one console so if previous multiplatform games are going exclusive to one console maybe the future is PC since it looks like Sony are porting games over there more and more these days and MS games go there too.
Not this shit again. Quake is NightDive (third party independent developer) remake/remaster contracted before acquisition.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, I think it will be quite akin to Doom 2016/Eternal.

Is this bad though? Well, imo, not at all!!! I would love more Doom-like gameplay with the Quake's gothic theme!

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:

Flintty

I’d be in for Quake Arena multiplayer. I don’t know if there’s a market for that type of pure run and gun gameplay these days though.

cireza

It could barely even handle a port of Doom.
You should check Doom Resurrection that was released recently. This is a complete overall that actually takes into account the dual CPU hardware, and demonstrates that more could be done with the 32X. Maybe not Quake though, but other games similar to Doom (engine) ? Certainly.

Last edited:

ljubomir

Unpopular opinion - I'd rather see Quake 2 remade than 1. The original has tons of spiritual successors and homages, and I'm kinda bored of lovecraftian horror themed shooters. Give me some scifi spaceships blowing up and big guns.

FlyyGOD

Just hope it comes out on PS5. Expecting the worst tbh I think it's gotta/gonna be Xbox only :messenger_fearful:

Playing the original Quake right now and it holds up well, surprisingly. Fast and addictive.
Why would you think that it will be xbox only? What gave you that idea?

Kssio_Aug

Haven't played it yet but was it because of too much platforming?

---

I'd love a gothic Quake with a level selection like the original Quake.
I am not the user you quoted, but I don't think Doom Eternal has too much platforming. The complaints I seem to hear the most about it, is that it is faster than Doom 2016, a bit too fast for Doom in general, and a bit too complex (too many tools assigned for too many buttons).

But I think Doom Eternal is a fantastic game. It takes a little bit to get used to it, but once it clicks it gets really crazy, in a good way.

Kev Kev

Haven't played it yet but was it because of too much platforming?

---

I'd love a gothic Quake with a level selection like the original Quake.

Actually, if you liked Quake, the you may like Eternal.

For me, Doom Eternal was too fast, too difficult, overwhelming, over did the weak spots and staggering bull shit (I’m so fucking tired of this in games), and added way too many systems, tools and mechanics.

It’s no longer give doom guy a double barrel and watch him blow a demons head out it’s ass while Slayer plays in the back ground. Instead, it’s give the doom slayer a bunch of Batman-esque gadgetry that muddles the simple bliss of blowing demons heads out their asses, guns that run out of ammo constantly, a bunch of unnecessary cutesy little melee animations (which get old really fast, but are 100% necessary for gunplay, and you literally HAVE to do one every 3 or 4 kills), make the bosses tedious and annoying, send waves of weaker enemies at them from seemingly every random direction with no thought put into clever AI behavior, and in general just overwhelm the player to the point that they are numb to it and not even enjoying the experience anymore.

It’s not Doom. It’s closer to Quake than it is to Doom. And as a life long Doom fan, it breaks my greasy heart.

I actually loved the platforming and hidden stuff, but the battle and actual gunplay is annoying af. I hated every enemy encounter. I gave up a few levels in. Went back and tried for hour and hours to get used to it or “git gud” but I just hated it and wasn’t having fun.

I’ve never seen a game take such a hard turn from being one of my GOATs (Doom 2016), to being one of my biggest disappointment and most despised games of all time (Eternal, of course).

But here we are lol. So yeah, after that piece of shit I guess I’m just no longer a Doom fan, smh…

VR support, a single player loaded with secrets that let you experiment with your movement abilities, and a rocking multiplayer is what I want out of this

Kssio_Aug

Bro fist, man. Depending on the day, Quake 1 is also my favourite game ever. But they need to keep the gothic-medieval and horror atmosphere or I’m out. The fluorescent colours of Eternal make me doubt we will get a medieval Quake again. Let’s wait and see.
As much as I love Doom 2016/Eternal, I agree that the atmosphere of the first Quake should be their priority, artistically wise. I miss competent gritty video-games! Nowadays it seems devs fear dive in this type of atmosphere to reach the most players possible, and that's a shame.

Last edited:

Kadve

I can see this being fucked up.

Quake has had a rocky history. Quake 1 was gothic adventure, Quake 2 was sci-fi, Quake 3 was faster than your mom in her teens and Quake 4 was crap.

What version of Quake 4 did you play? While nothing mind blowing i thought it was pretty good with some really memorable body horror aesthetic.

Never dabbled much with multiplayer though.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
What version of Quake 4 did you play? While nothing mind blowing i thought it was pretty good with some really memorable body horror aesthetic.

I guess the biggest problem people had with it was the similarity to Doom 3.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Thats ok, nobody else dabbled much with Quake 4's multiplayer either.

If you have even a moderately decent, modern PC or laptop you'll still be able to play the game natively on those. Or, if don't, stream it to your phone or tablet via xCloud. More than enough access points tbh the team will already have a tall task on optimizing the game for Xbox Series and a small range of PC spec tiers.

Imagine if the 32x had a version of the original Quake...could it handle it? Albeit in a trimmed down way...

No. It'd basically be DOOM 1.5 on 32X. Remember, 32X didn't have a dedicated 3D processor so one of the SH-2's would've been used for 3D and while the SH-2 was a pretty capable CPU for its time it didn't have the 3D capabilities on its own the way dedicated 3D hardware did, even for that era. Not to mention you'd still need to use the host Genesis for some data processing so the bandwidth of the cartridge port would've acted as the bottleneck in that design (can't recall off the top of my head how much bandwidth the MegaDrive cartridge port had, will have to check Sega Retro).

You maybe could've had something that had the essence of Quake on 32X, but would have looked much different, not looked or sounded as good as any of the 5th-gen console versions, and even more cutdown in terms of some level and asset sizes. It'd be a little more than just 'trimmed down' I imagine.

GC_DALBEN

Bro fist, man. Depending on the day, Quake 1 is also my favourite game ever. But they need to keep the gothic-medieval and horror atmosphere or I’m out. The fluorescent colours of Eternal make me doubt we will get a medieval Quake again. Let’s wait and see.
I agree, we can only hope they dont fuck it up :(

Lanrutcon

PC at launch. It wasn't...I guess, terrible in isolation. But compared to the first 3 it was pretty dumb, like they really wanted to court the military shooter audience and tried to stretch the Q2 setting to get there.

tygertrip

I am interested in a single-player game reminiscent of the first game. Multi-player is something else completely.
I hope so. They've already had a sequel to Q2. It's time to revisit the Q1 theme. And they don't need to shoehorn a narrative or anything either. Just random levels, like the original. To hell with the zoomers crying about "muh cutscenes!"

Umbasaborne

Banned
Quake 4 is a sequel to Quake 2. Quake 2 is related to Quake 1 by name and gameplay only. It was going to be a new IP , and they changed their mind.
Ooooh that explains a ton actually. So quake 1 and 2 have nothing to do with eachother outside of gameplay. So quake is like final fantasy in that regard?

Doom Eternal is among my favorite games and I've been wanting them to take what they did there and apply it to Quake. This will be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom