• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Id Software Next Game is Indeed Quake Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

avin

I know I mentioned this before, but I'm REALLY wondering what they could and would do to make Quake feel unique. Because with how id approached 2016 and Eternal, the line between DOOM and Quake was blurring pretty hard. I feel like a lot of modern players could play a new Quake and just think "man, this feels a lot like DOOM..."

I agree. I'm not seeing any easy way to make a rebooted Quake more frenetic than Doom Eternal already is. I don't see what other direction they could go in though.

avin

Calverz

The new quake needs to move away from the whole alien strogg thing and go back to the gothic almost vampire feel of the original. The atmosphere needs to be less metal and more atmospheric scary.

Give reznor a blank cheque to do the soundtrack. It needs to invoke that feeling of not knowing what’s around the corner. It needs to be different to the modern dooms and go for more realistic proportions of enemies.

Last edited:
Style wise, go whatever. But it can't be the same gameplay wise. Maybe make rocket jumping a fluid traversal mechanic.

I'm super excited to see what we get, after Doom and Wolfenstein.

dcx4610

Quake deserves a proper reboot. The first game felt more like a tech demo and had some interesting ideas but could really do for a full story like the DOOM reboot did. Looking forward to it.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I've always felt Quake was better suited to the Doom 3-esque horror game than Doom actually was. Quake as a full blown Lovecraftian-inspired blood filled horror game, with id's unbelievable presentation, is basically my dream game.

If they just try and +1 Doom Eternal, though, I'm not sure I'd actually be all that interested. Doom Eternal was already pushing the limits of what's physically playable.

Last edited:

avin

Don't get my previous post wrong. Id could release anything with Quake in the title and I'm there, demanding they take my damned money. For me, the Doom reboots were the highlight of the past generation. Even if it plays like Doom with different atmosphere (as arguably Halo Infinite did) it's probably better than anything else we're going to get.

avin

tommib

Really, really hope it's a reboot of the original gothic horror style Quake and not the sci-fi style of the sequels.
Word. I want them to go as dark as possible and bring back the grotesque cosmic horror creatures. Keep the medieval architecture and nightmare drone music. If it’s anywhere near Quake 4 I’ll forget it on the same moment it’s announced.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hopefully they don’t dumb down the movement too much. Doom Eternal is relatively fast and plays fine on a controller. There is no need to slow down Quake. Just disable crossplay between pc & console.

Apocryphon

Eh, not exactly.
Zenimax owns the publishing rights, and Activision owns everything else...but as soon as the ActiBlizz acquisition finishes, it'll all be owned by Microsoft.

Activision own Raven so why wouldn't they make it given that they created Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen II? The idea that id Software would be developing a Hexen game is just stupid.

coffinbirth

Activision own Raven so why wouldn't they make it given that they created Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen II? The idea that id Software would be developing a Hexen game is just stupid.
I never said they would or should, but given the fact that Activision haven't touched the IP in over 20 years, Raven are balls deep in CoD, Phil Spencer name dropped the IP after the acquisition, and they own an arguably more competent studio that also happened to produce the series...kinda makes sense. At the very least we'll probably get modern ports. I'm sure the Raffel brothers wouldn't find that stupid.

yurinka

I bet MS will ask them to make both full GaaS Doom and Quake. With SP content but more focused on MP and many customizables.

I'd help them grow to work in both projects at the same time.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

I never said they would or should, but given the fact that Activision haven't touched the IP in over 20 years, Raven are balls deep in CoD, Phil Spencer name dropped the IP after the acquisition, and they own an arguably more competent studio that also happened to produce the series...kinda makes sense. At the very least we'll probably get modern ports. I'm sure the Raffel brothers wouldn't find that stupid.
I'll take remasters of all three games, but I don't expect id to take up the property given that their own IPs are in such high demand.

Quake makes the most sense to be next for if Software, but maybe youre right and we're going to get a shared universe between the Quake, Doom, and Hexen games, all developed by id's core team.

Justin9mm

This is such good and bad news!!

I was so hyped to seeing the next future addition of Doom so this is sad if they've chosen to Reboot Quake.

On the other hand, I come from the original Quake and Doom gaming era and love Quake and I'd be so hyped to see Quake go in the same direction as Doom did.

Also, people who think Eternal is shit don't know what a good FPS is. Like no fucking idea.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Also, people who think Eternal is shit don't know what a good FPS is. Like no fucking idea.
spot on

radio 1 yes GIF by BBC Radio 1’s Biggest Weekend

Apocryphon

This is such good and bad news!!

I was so hyped to seeing the next future addition of Doom so this is sad if they've chosen to Reboot Quake.

On the other hand, I come from the original Quake and Doom gaming era and love Quake and I'd be so hyped to see Quake go in the same direction as Doom did.

Eternal is a fine game but it isn't as good an experience as Doom 2016. It has better mechanics but arguably worse art direction and it definitely has a worse plot. Doom 2016 wasn't perfect but it was thoroughly enjoyable. Eternal isn't as memorable and it's 2016 that I keep returning to.

Quake 1 is a better game than both though so I'm happy to see them return to that world. As much as I loved Quake 2 when it launched, I want to see the return of Cthulhu-esque enemies and gothic architecture. More than anything I want tight level design and atmosphere.

I woudo be happy to see Doom continue, but where do you take it after Eternal and its DLC?

Apocryphon

Hopefully they don’t dumb down the movement too much. Doom Eternal is relatively fast and plays fine on a controller. There is no need to slow down Quake. Just disable crossplay between pc & console.
If they're making Quake I want the exact same movement mechanics as Quake 1. The remaster holds up brilliantly and I really wouldn't want them to add a bunch of unnecessary stuff like dashing. Ledge grabbing maybe, and possibly double jump, but even then I'd rather they didn't mess with it. The less bloat for a Quake reboot the better.

Sub_Level

If they're making Quake I want the exact same movement mechanics as Quake 1. The remaster holds up brilliantly and I really wouldn't want them to add a bunch of unnecessary stuff like dashing. Ledge grabbing maybe, and possibly double jump, but even then I'd rather they didn't mess with it. The less bloat for a Quake reboot the better.

100% agree. No need for wall-run or sliding, as fun as sliding is in Champions.

DukeNukem00

Banned

Doom plays well on a controller because its a console game. Every game design aspect is carefully crafted so that its manageable on pads. Plus a lot of magnetism and automation in various aspects. You wouldnt be able to make quake's advanced movement on a pad. Most people couldnt on m/kb. Theres loads of tutorials on youtube about strafe jumping and the rest because you cant do it if you dont know and without much practice.

Wildebeest

Doom plays well on a controller because its a console game. Every game design aspect is carefully crafted so that its manageable on pads. Plus a lot of magnetism and automation in various aspects. You wouldnt be able to make quake's advanced movement on a pad. Most people couldnt on m/kb. Theres loads of tutorials on youtube about strafe jumping and the rest because you cant do it if you dont know and without much practice.
You absolutely do not need to know how to strafe jump in order to play Quake single player campaign.

Sub_Level

I'm well aware of the more advanced movement being inaccessible to console players which I why I stressed that any hypothetical multiplayer crossplay should be disabled (at least by default). But the fact remains we have Quake 1 on PS5/Xbox which folks can complete on Nightmare perfectly fine. Consoles can do Quake fam.

Apocryphon

What are you talking about? Multi-player? Ofcourse people can play Quake using a pad. They'd get wrecked online vs PC players, but it's not like we're expecting a Quake 3 revival here 🤣

Plus, plenty of console games are supporting mouse and keyboard input now. They didn't include it in Eternal, but they also got criticized for that decision. Hopefully they include it in the console ports of the new Quake game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I can see everyone arguing over Singleplayer vs Multiplayer here...

I throw my hat into the multiplayer ring, but why do people keep going on about Quake 3?

Enemy_Territory_Quake_Wars_Game_Cover.jpg

With battlefields utter failure the class based, objective driven multiplayer shooter door is wide open.

Take that Quake fans I want a return to the most community hated but most successfull Quake game ever, Enemy Territory.

Last edited:

Calverz

I throw my hat into the multiplayer ring, but why do people keep going on about Quake 3?

With battlefields utter failure the class based, objective driven multiplayer shooter door is wide open.

Take that Quake fans I want a return to the most community hated but most successfull Quake game ever, Enemy Territory.
The only good thing about that game was the trailer about getting pwnd and emoji crying faces

Apocryphon

This is where they should take Wolfenstein.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The only good thing about that game was the trailer about getting pwnd and emoji crying faces

And yet as someone who was a fan of Wolfenstien Enemy Territory, it was a fantastic evolution in terms of gameplay, the classes meshed well, the objective level design enforced teamwork by naturally rewarding people mixing classes. The addition of vehicles allowed for combined armed warfare and stalling teams to make a breakthrough. It was essentially everything that people loved about Battlefields Bad Company sub series long before Bad Company.

Was it a bad Quake game? Yeah, was it a bad game?

165.gif

Last edited:

coffinbirth

I'll take remasters of all three games, but I don't expect id to take up the property given that their own IPs are in such high demand.

Quake makes the most sense to be next for if Software, but maybe youre right and we're going to get a shared universe between the Quake, Doom, and Hexen games, all developed by id's core team.
Quake certainly would make sense to be their next project.

Facism

would love it if they integrate Quake Champions into the package as it's multiplayer. Great MP that not enough people play :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom