• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Id Software Next Game is Indeed Quake Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeNukem00

Banned
Reminder that Quake was good because it was made by nerds, not corpos.

Also, not the same idSoftware.

You're completely right, but we haven't had a singleplayer game in almost 20 years. Someone finishing high school right now was not alive when Quake 4 came out. I feel recent Dooms showed that at the very least they're not gonna put out some vile turd, even if it will be changed from how it was in the 90s. I dont see anything bad if they try something new when the series has been dormant for so long

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I loved DOOM Eternal for what it was: DMC with guns. I wasn't expecting DOOM 93 with better graphics, and didn't want that either, as I already have enough wads to play classic DOOM until I die.

But honestly, for a Quake reboot I would like something much more similar to the first game. The atmosphere in that game is amazing, matched by a enemy roster out of the worst nightmare and a pretty cool level design. That's all I would want for a reboot.

I wonder how'll they handle the OST. Something similar to NIN's work on the first one? Or will they say fuck it and call Andrew Hulshult to make his magic?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Fair enough, but I'm not expecting much of a AAA reboot following modern design trends.
Maze-like level design in 2022? Yeah sadly I can't see that happening either.

For all the hate Eternal got, the only thing I really missed was some actual exploration. At least we still got our Dusks, Amid Evils and Prodeuses.

TintoConCasera

Why was Doom Eternal disliked so much?
Apparently some people didn't like the new mechanics, some people found it too complicated ("why can't I play how I want to play?") and others hated the heavy emphasis on resource management and cool downs.

I personally loved it. No game has managed to increse my heart rate like DOOM Eternal.

yes-jack-nicholson.gif

AllSpiritedEgret-size_restricted.gif

fatmarco

Why was Doom Eternal disliked so much?

Well, I hope they do it with the Strogg if they do Quake like.
I despised the enforced limitations on the combat sandbox.

"You must use this weapon in this context on this specific enemy at this specific time in order to get this specific item otherwise you're essentially screwed" gameplay burned me out. It really meant there wasn't much freedom to combat.

That and the art style was goofy and a huge step back from 2016.

Last edited:

Deerock71

So...I guess the trap of NOT looking like DOOM reboot would be to encompass four dimensions, then. The time-travel component in VR will be vital.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
If you play DOOM Eternal with a controller, you need to use one with back buttons like Razer Wolverine Ultimate(6 back buttons) or Steam Deck(4 back buttons).

Banned
If you play DOOM Eternal with a controller, you need to use one with back buttons like Razer Wolverine Ultimate(6 back buttons) or Steam Deck(4 back buttons).

no you don't. the game doesn't need that many buttons. all you need to do is map jump to LB and you're good

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
no you don't. the game doesn't need that many buttons. all you need to do is map jump to LB and you're good
It's not adding buttons, it's changing the placement so you no longer use the face buttons and 2 options on the d-pad. Placing jump on LB instead of comfortably on the back of the controller sounds like hell, and what are you using for grenade and ice bomb?

Banned
It's not adding buttons, it's changing the placement so you no longer use the face buttons and 2 options on the d-pad. Placing jump on LB instead of comfortably on the back of the controller sounds like hell, and what are you using for grenade and ice bomb?
LB for jump is by far the best jump bind. it's easy to reach.

LB = Jump
LT = Secondary Fire
RB = Grenades
RT = Fire

the rest of the buttons don't need precision as the chainsaw is basically auto targeting and the flamethrower has a gigantic cone. and you can map that to B which on an Xbox controller can be easily pressed with your streched out index finger.

the issue is, as soon as you get used to controllers with paddles/back buttons you need them for every console and all with similar layouts.

as someone who plays on all consoles that's simply not a viable option.
so Bumper Jumper is the most consistent layout to use with slight variations depending on game.

also, to me nothing feels worse than back buttons/paddles. I have a Razer and an Xbox Elite 1 and 2, and dislike using them on all of them... I also have a Hori Split Pad, which is even worse due to bad ergonomics on the grips compared to normal controllers.

so LB it is for someone like me who plays shooters on like 3 different consoles, sometimes in the span of a single day.

the only time I ever use back buttons is when a game has absolutely atrocious button layouts with little to no customisation, example Halo 5, where there literally exist ZERO decent layouts and you can't remap freely, so I had to map Melee to a paddle in that

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
LB for jump is by far the best jump bind. it's easy to reach.

LB = Jump
LT = Secondary Fire
RB = Grenades
RT = Fire

the rest of the buttons don't need precision as the chainsaw is basically auto targeting and the flamethrower has a gigantic cone. and you can map that to B which on an Xbox controller can be easily pressed with your streched out index finger.

the issue is, as soon as you get used to controllers with paddles/back buttons you need them for every console and all with similar layouts.

as someone who plays on all consoles that's simply not a viable option.
so Bumper Jumper is the most consistent layout to use with slight variations depending on game.

also, to me nothing feels worse than back buttons/paddles. I have a Razer and an Xbox Elite 1 and 2, and dislike using them on all of them... I also have a Hori Split Pad, which is even worse due to bad ergonomics on the grips compared to normal controllers.

so LB it is for someone like me who plays shooters on like 3 different consoles, sometimes in the span of a single day.

the only time I ever use back buttons is when a game has absolutely atrocious button layouts with little to no customisation, example Halo 5, where there literally exist ZERO decent layouts and you can't remap freely, so I had to map Melee to a paddle in that
That sounds awful. On Razer Wolverine Ultimate I have jump, dash, and weapon mod switch on the right, from bottom to top. On the left I have chainsaw, flame belch, and grenade type switch, from bottom to top. I don't have to take my thumbs off the right analog stick ever. On the left analog stick I'm only pulling to enable the Crucible.

You can't even explain how you're using the weapon wheel.

Last edited:

Banned
That sounds awful. On Razer Wolverine Ultimate I have jump, dash, and weapon mod switch on the right, from bottom to top. On the left I have chainsaw, flame belch, and grenade type switch, from bottom to top. I don't have to take my thumbs off the right analog stick ever. On the left analog stick I'm only pulling to enable the Crucible.

You can't even explain how you're using the weapon wheel.

like I said, now play the game on a different console... or a similar game... you now have to either get that overpriced controller for that one too, simply get used to a completely different layout when playing on another system, or get one of those adapters that add input lag.

so sorry, but that's just not an option for someone who plays on every console 🤷

if you are fast you don't need to have any of the attack options that require basically ZERO precision available without letting go of the right stick.

the chainsaw literally auto targets to the nearest enemy for example. the flamethrower has a gigantic cone and lasts a second or so during which you can adjust your aim if you need to, and the weapon wheel slows down time meaning you have all the time in the world to use that however you want (best to bind it to the D-pad)

Last edited:

TastyPastry

aww man i was hoping for hexen instead, quake feels a little safe. if it will still have singleplayer how are they going to make it different compared to doom eternal?

Kev Kev

Who the fuck asked for this?
It’s been going this way since 2016. Each new thing they’ve released at has been more and more Quake like. I think it’s just comes down to a lot of their team being 80s and 90s kids who grew up with fast paced arena style PC games, like Quake, and they are trying to bring back those days… whether or not anyone is actually asking for it lol.

I’m just glad they are moving on and making Quake. It was so painfully obvious they wanted Eternal to be Quake (which is why a lot of people hated Eternal, for those of you asking).

I’m sure plenty people have asked for it, but I also genuinely believe the team at iD are fans themselves, and they want this game to happen, which is a good thing for Quake fans.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I’d like to see iD Software have a go at a new IP.
Why? Some of the best work from Machine Games and Id has been Wolfenstein and DOOM recently.

As far as new IP (from the top of my head from that specific studio) Rage 1 was ambitious but disappointing overall. Enjoyable sure but it's definitely not aged well. Rage 2 of course is an entirely different beast made by the Just Cause people for the most part (and I still haven't gotten around to playing it, unfortunately). All of this is to say that Quake might be the vehicle for them to pull another DOOM 2016 or Eternal and I'm all for it.

MiguelItUp

Who the fuck asked for this?
The same people that asked for Wolfenstein and DOOM to get rebooted with remakes.

Quake is id's other huge property that hasn't received this treatment yet, just makes sense.

If they follow the same path that was made there, then I think it'll be great. I just hope the art style is unique and somehow darker and grittier.

I know I mentioned this before, but I'm REALLY wondering what they could and would do to make Quake feel unique. Because with how id approached 2016 and Eternal, the line between DOOM and Quake was blurring pretty hard. I feel like a lot of modern players could play a new Quake and just think "man, this feels a lot like DOOM..."

I adored Quake, especially Quake 2. So if this IS true, I hope it all works out wonderfully.

Just thinking about it, would be neat if they go Wolfenstein -> DOOM -> Quake in terms of reboots & remakes, because then it almost follows the original release pathing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom