• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DOOM - THIS GAME IS SOOO GOOOD!!

mcz117chief

Don't you ever get tired of doing this on every single Doom thread.

It's like it physically hurts you that other people liked it more than you.

Nah. What hurts me is that people are missing out on much better games just because they thing Doom 4 is the GOAT. I can understand that if they don't play FPS games and only play this one then they are going to enjoy it, since it is a competent shooter that does very few things wrong but it actually doesn't truly excel at anything. If we compare it to Shadow Warrior 2 then it does nothing better. SW2 has far better movement, gore, weapons feedback, variety of weapons, is longer and has a ton more content including the option to play the whole game with up to 4 players.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
when a good game and a good engine match.

...and it came from bethesda, the power house of suave PC optimizations.

SURGEdude

Great game. When you explain it to somebody it seems like it would get repetitive fast but it's just so fucking tight and the gameplay loop is immensely satisfying. Actually replayed it already this year and I rarely replay games ever let alone only a few months later.

My only complaint is that the season pass seemed really misguided by focusing on the unremarkable multiplayer when a few extra campaign levels would have made everybody happier.

Great game. When you explain it to somebody it seems like it would get repetitive fast but it's just so fucking tight and the gameplay loop is immensely satisfying. Actually replayed it already this year and I rarely replay games ever let alone only a few months later.

My only complaint is that the season pass seemed really misguided by focusing on the unremarkable multiplayer when a few extra campaign levels would have made everybody happier.

I, too, would love a single player expansion. That way they could sell it for, like, $10 on the digital stores, but, more importantly, they could release a GOTY edition called ULTIMATE DOOM

can some one explain to me how anyone liked DOOM ?? i played the demo and it was boring as shit, gunplay is on bar with Left 4 Dead( the worst gunplay i have ever played) if you want to know how a gunplay should be made then go play Titanfall( best gunplay ever) or Destiny

i have watched several videos of the game and all you do is just keep killing wave after wave after wave, it's repetitive as fuck

so can someone tell me what people liked about DOOM ?

Huh, I dunno, maybe check the 1400+ word OP thread you just posted in? Or if you're too lazy for that, check the TL:DR at the bottom? :p

Snark aside, it's hard to reply to this when there's been no effort done on your part to respond to any part of the OP or that you just ignored it completely. It's like you just clicked last page, and posted this comment and left lol...

That's exactly what it was

And I'm fine with that

Because it means more DOOM

Between DOOM and Wolfenstein, Bethesda has such a good FPS portfolio now.

QFT.

nkarafo

While i love the game very much, i never understood the love of the OST. The metal tracks are very generic for me and not the least memorable. Some of the more ambient tunes, outside combat, were better.

Painkiller had a similar OST with metal tracks during combat but these were much better.

Manu

Nah. What hurts me is that people are missing out on much better games just because they thing Doom 4 is the GOAT. I can understand that if they don't play FPS games and only play this one then they are going to enjoy it, since it is a competent shooter that does very few things wrong but it actually doesn't truly excel at anything. If we compare it to Shadow Warrior 2 then it does nothing better. SW2 has far better movement, gore, weapons feedback, variety of weapons, is longer and has a ton more content including the option to play the whole game with up to 4 players.

That's all nice and good, but Game B being better than Game A doesn't mean Game A isn't great.

You know, you could open a Shadow Warrior 2 LTTP thread if you haven't done so already, kinda like OP did, instead of showing up here to say that people who like Doom just don't know better. One of these things is constructive, the other is condescending and insulting. People are more likely to listen to your advice when you don't treat them like they're dumb.

Just saying.

Cool.

Now play Wolfenstein The New Order.

Seriously, go play it.

I have -- I mentioned so at the bottom of the very long OP, but still in the TL:DR section :p

Overall, a really fun ride and blast to play through from start to finish. Bethesda are doing great work investing into these single player orientated games, especially in the FPS genre with my GOTY of last year (played it late), Wolfenstsein The New Order.

Or here's the thread I made in September last year, (which was actually my first ever thread!) if you're interested in hearing my thoughts.

SPOILER:
I liked it a lot ;)

when a good game and a good engine match.

...and it came from bethesda, the power house of suave PC optimizations.

To be fair, Bethesda was only the publisher. It was Id Software who developed the game, and they employed a lot of talented people over the last few years (namely Tiago Sousa who was Crytek's lead R&D Engineer), in order to make a great engine (Id Tech 6). Still though, I like the fact that they're publishing these SP orientated titles.

That's all nice and good, but Game B being better than Game A doesn't mean Game A isn't great.

You know, you could open a Shadow Warrior 2 LTTP thread if you haven't done so already, kinda like OP did, instead of showing up here to say that people who like Doom just don't know better. One of these things is constructive, the other is condescending and insulting. People are more likely to listen to your advice when you don't treat them like they're dumb.

Just saying.

Thank you. I don't mind differing opinions (others have already done so), but at least do it respectfully and keep it on track to the actual game, DOOM.

While i love the game very much, i never understood the love of the OST. The metal tracks are very generic for me and not the least memorable. Some of the more ambient tunes, outside combat, were better.

Painkiller had a similar OST with metal tracks during combat but these were much better.

I think a lot of the love comes from the fact it was so good at being in tandem with the moment to moment gameplay, (as someone in the thread earlier put it).

Ifrit

Yeah one thing that's not always mentioned is the exploration, I loved it, looking for unexplored areas on the map, it reminded me a lot of metroid prime, also the way you move around the map (so fast!) was a joy to do.

Also just like doom 1 and 2, ultra violence is best difficulty

Currently playing through this as well after picking it up for $15 on Black Friday. What a deal! The game has delivered far more than I could have expected. Everything just clicks and feels right. From the look of the environments, to the music, to the fast paced action. Just an overall excellent game.

nkarafo

One thing i didn't like were some monster redesigns. Cyberdemon, in particular, was terrible. Some others looked like TMNT cartoon monsters. But at least most of them were OK to great.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah one thing that's not always mentioned is the exploration, I loved it, looking for unexplored areas on the map, it reminded me a lot of metroid prime, also the way you move around the map (so fast!) was a joy to do.

Also just like doom 1 and 2, ultra violence is best difficulty

The only problem, the only thing really that keeps it a little bit below DOOM I&II, is that exploration had little challenge outside of the gore nests/trigger for wave of enemy followed by killing the wave of enemies off cycle/arena combat a bit too much.

Like they said in the documentary, they started from the multilayer focused level design and worked inward for the single player.

Just saying.

I'd like this, personally. I haven't touched SW2 because I liked the first new one, but not enough for it to really grab me. If there was a thread to really sell me on the game, I might pick it up, especially since the steam winter sale just started.

Ixion

I didn't think having health pickups instead of regenerating health was that different considering that there are health packs littered all over the place.

Think about how you have to acquire that health. You have to move around and explore, or perhaps move into the heart of the battle and glory kill an enemy for health. Compare that with regenerating health where the player is encouraged to take cover, stop the action, and simply wait for their health to return.

DOOM is all about constant movement. That's why you never have to reload, you never have to aim down the sights of a gun (excluding a couple mods), all the enemies use melee or projectile attacks that can be dodged, and you never have to wait for your health to regenerate.

UncleMeat

Picked it up new for $5 the other day at gamestop (on sale for $20 and used a $15 loyalty coupon). If this game is half as good as GAF says it may be my personal gaming steal of the generation. Unfortunately I have a head cold and don't want to start the game until I'm feeling better and can crank up the volume.

Sami+

Think about how you have to acquire that health. You have to move around and explore, or perhaps move into the heart of the battle and glory kill an enemy for health. Compare that with regenerating health where the player is encouraged to take cover, stop the action, and simply wait for their health to return.

DOOM is all about constant movement. That's why you never have to reload, you never have to aim down the sights of a gun (excluding a couple mods), all the enemies use melee or projectile attacks that can be dodged, and you never have to wait for your health to regenerate.

I think the glory kill system is my favorite thing about the game from a design perspective. Just the raw, visceral rush I feel from being low on health in a particularly heated battle with a lot of enemies, whipping out the chainsaw as a last resort and mowing down one of the big guys for a burst of health and ammo-- sooooooo good. 😇

TannerDemoz

I love seeing these threads.

The amount of post-release support for the game is extremely admirable

Apart from the game is hilariously large now

There's potential for a few more exciting setpieces, but overall the game has been everything it needed to be.

Loved it all...

...except for the ending. Felt like sequel bait.

I honestly can't complain that more is on the way. Especially if it has
crazy robot professor with a badass lightsaber from hell.

mcz117chief

People are more likely to listen to your advice when you don't treat them like they're dumb.

I'm not saying anyone is dumb for liking Doom 4, hell I like Ninja Gaiden Yaiba. All I'm saying is that people should broaden their horizons and not just focus on games with "doom" in their name. People saying Doom 4 is the best FPS in years is baffling considering all the fantastic FPS games we have gotten recently. It either means one of these two things, 1) they didn't play the other ones or 2) for some strange reason they still believe Doom 4 does something better than any of the other shooters. And Doom 4 isn't great, it's serviceable, it isn't broken but it also isn't pushing anything. There are prettier, faster, more visceral and more original fps games out there.

I'd like this, personally. I haven't touched SW2 because I liked the first new one, but not enough for it to really grab me. If there was a thread to really sell me on the game, I might pick it up, especially since the steam winter sale just started.

Just read through the OT and see how people like it.

I mean come on guys, I know the OP is long but reading isn't that hard :p

I remember this thread! I love threads like these, where people are so passionate about good games. Good job, dude. Can't wait to see what the next game you fall in love with is.

Ah, likewise! I like making threads like these to see responses like this. Appreciate the kind sentiments!

Ratchet & Clank top 5 of all time?

Sorry, I can't trust your judgement here.

Read it again man that's not what I said...GOTY for this year is what I said.

And heck, even if I did, a bit childish to say that, no? Opinions should be taken by their own merit.

Anyway, lucky for you it's not what I said.

Zojirushi

I had high hopes after all the praise but i only got a couple hours into it and it got boring kinda fast.

I think I'm at the part after I got the chainsaw, should I keep going or is this just not for me?

Unfortunately I thinks that's just a symptom of a bigger industry wide problem from publishers (in this case Bethesda) in regards to the 'Games as a Service' model -- so essentially they want continued investment from players into the online components of games which will only be helped by post-release multiplayer support.

tci

I just finished this last night. And I agree. This game is a blast!

Was holding it off for a while because I got motion sick this spring. So I was a bit hesitant to get into it again. So I changed up the FOV a little and made it work.

The boss fights, were so good. Especially the first two.

As many have said, the music makes it ace. Easily a 9/10 game for me. Can't wait for Doom 2!

mcz117chief

I had high hopes after all the praise but i only got a couple hours into it and it got boring kinda fast.

I think I'm at the part after I got the chainsaw, should I keep going or is this just not for me?

I personally think the second half is better so give it one more chance, man.

Chavelo

DOOM caught me off guard and ended up becoming such a great game for me. i was entirely negative about it (pandering to the fans by trying to reboot it at first, the multiplayer, early showings) until i gave it a try. it was finally the first time where a reboot to an amazing series ended up being an amazing entry to the series itself. up there for being GOTY for me, as well.

Just read through the OT and see how people like it.

lmao, with the time you obviously spent on writing these responses, you could of done SW2 a solid by doing an OT it instead. great way to discredit your views by using that time to shit on other games.

tci

I personally think the second half is better so give it one more chance, man.
It sure is. The game's gameplay doesn't really take off until the big enemies appear. Then you have to start prioritizing and using the right weapons. When you get into it and it flows, maaan does this game just blow any newer fps out of the water.

Newboi

Doom (2016) is definitely in my top 10 when it comes to best games ever created. This game brought back a level of visceral entertainment, joy, and immersion I haven't felt in a LONG time.

The crazy thing is that the game successfully sinks the player's and Doom Slayer's way of thinking. There's no altruism in what the Doom Slayer is doing. It may have started off that way, but now you see that there's a visceral joy and craving for murdering demons.

mcz117chief

lmao, with the time you obviously spent on writing these responses, you could of done SW2 a solid by doing an OT it instead. great way to discredit your views by using that time to shit on other games.

I don't get it, can you rephrase it because I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying that I should have done the OT? Well as a matter of fact I did make the OT. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1293275

When you get into it and it flows, maaan does this game just blow any newer fps out of the water.

But what about "RAMBO TIME!"?

Chavelo

I don't get it, can you rephrase it because I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying that I should have done the OT? Well as a matter of fact I did make the OT. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1293275

ah, okay!

so you're just salty the game that you even made an OT for is not getting the recognition that DOOM is getting, then?

can't blame ya, i'd be mad myself if i somehow felt like i wasted a bunch of time

mcz117chief

ah, okay!

so you're just salty the game that you even made an OT for is not getting the recognition that DOOM is getting, then?

can't blame ya, i'd be mad myself if i somehow felt like i wasted a bunch of time

But I didn't make the game, just the OT :D

But you are right on the first thing, I am disappointed that Shadow Warrior 2 doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

SaganIsGOAT

I am buying it today. I was left very unimpressed by the demo a few months back. I just decided to try it all again, bumped the FOV up to 110 and HOLY MOLY, this game is AMAZING. The speed with 110 FOV made it feel so much cooler.

Doom fucking ruled. Got a little repetitive towards the end but it was one hell of a ride.

The music, the glory kills, the lack of reloading and weaponry, this game was designed to make you feel like an absolute badass.

From the way the game transitioned from the elevator to the intro and into the next level, I knew it was gonna be a special game.

KahooTs

If you're not dying every so often (multiple times a level) then up the difficulty. Challenge makes the game, forces you to play it in the manner intended and which is so enjoyed, without it you can tank or kite your way through the game. If you are dying or on the hardest non perma death difficulty and bored then yes it's not for you.

YuShtink

Get real man Shadow Warrior 2 is fun and has co-op but it's totally unbalanced amateur garbage compared to DOOM. To compare it to a masterfully crafted single player campaign like DOOM 2016 on Ultra Violence is an insult quite frankly. Doom is a much much better game with much more honed, tight gameplay, actual level and encounter design, and a brilliant difficulty curve. Shadow Warrior 2 is procedurally generated loot whore jank-ridden chaos. Which is fun. But in NO WAY better than DOOM.

Bedlam

Agree completely. I consider it a modern day masterpiece and probably the best game of the generation along side Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze.

I'm doing another playthrough now and, thanks to the NoClip documentary you linked, actually paying attention to the data logs. They are great!

I'm hoping to see more people LTTPing this with the recent sale. We NEED a sequel.
I like your taste!

Both these game are at the top of the list for this generation's games for me as well.

Hopefully DK:TF will see a re-release on Switch so more people can see the light.

And yes, Doom' data logs are excellent. It was actually really fun reading those. The writers of Doom struck such a genius balance between the gore/hell theme and self-aware humor.

Top Bottom