• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DOOM - THIS GAME IS SOOO GOOOD!!

tci

Ugh. So much visual clutter with the numbers.I prefer to know what type of weapon I need to use at different enemies. And how many bullets I should use. This knowledge is something Doom builds up so well throughout the campaign.

When the action kicks in, you are constantly swapping weapons, thinking of ammo, prioritizing enemies, and moving into right positions. Or else you die instantly. At later levels the BFG is pretty much essential, and ammo is scarce. So you are thinking about when the best time to use it is. Failing one shot may ruin everything.

Shadow Warrior is a decent game, but it fails to evolve the genre in the way Doom did. It is so refreshing to have Id back, and upping the game another notch.

Trickytoon

Neo Member
Good enough to finish but nowhere near GOTY material for me, like a few others have mentioned; the formula got old really quickly for me and I was pulled through largely by the shooting mechanics and the challenges which were great fun. Had some fun with the multiplayer too, which I wasn't expecting at all. I'm replaying Quake II at the moment and I keep trying to trigger melee executions, so the game has left its mark.

id did a brilliant job of modernising Doom while keeping everything that made Doom and Doom 2 great.

Easily one of the best games of 2016.

It's what we've been asking for from FPS games for years. It's the first FPS I've enjoyed since episode 2 and I started with wolf3d.exe

This new DOOM made me realize that I never really understood old Doom at all. I loved FINAL DOOM back in the day because it was one of the few games that scared the crap out of me. It was both harrowing and frightening, all atmosphere, puzzles, and very intense moments of action.

Then came DOOM 3, and I'm one of the people that loved the game. The stuff I loved about DOOM, but prettier. I guess they made Dead Space for people like me.

Had a buddy that would just play knee Deep in the dead over and over, blasting through it whenever he came over. I never understood why. He liked the adrenaline of it, I guess, and it feels like new DOOM is all about THAT experience. At first I was a little salty that everyone else was in on the DOOM love except me because every time I played it, I was bored in no time.

But i get it now. The combat is very well done. It's a fantastic action game, but they killed all pretenses of atmosphere. It's just a cartoon of a death metal cover, and that's totally fine. If anybody is on the fence about whether to get it, I'll just say that if you enjoy action and gameplay that rewards aggressiveness and momentum, buy this.

If you're in for atmosphere, this is probably the wrong move. It's not for me at all, but it's a cool game.

Not for me , i dont like this game... Is cool for 16 years kids when he play a game like this for the first time in his life...

e4nLvyc.gif

Enjoying it and I don't even like single player FPS and never played a DOOM game in my life. Waaaaaay better than the newest Wolfenstein game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Was totally great. I started on Ultra-Violence and enjoyed every moment. I am hard-pressed to even find a flaw, frankly.

Best aspect was how completely in control of the pace of the fight the player remains at every moment except for the boss battles (which thus come as a fair change of pace)

shiet you guys are gonna make me re-install it and try and beat it on nightmare or whatever the really hard difficulty is

I went through my playthrough on normal and should have started on hard tbh, the game is really easy after you get a few upgrades under your belt. I loved the game though, although it does get a bit repetitive. 2nd favorite game released this year behind Overwatch.

sikkinixx

Uncharted 4 takes GOTY for me, simply because I love those characters and the story was stellar.

But man, Doom was so far outta left field amazing. Having a friend over and playing it, both thinking "holy fuck this has ZERO right to be this amazing"

Only loses marks because the end gets tedious as hell since it becomes all about spamming the siege mode with the unlimited ammo rune.

Zemm

I have the game on PC and PS4 and it's absolutely fantastic. Without doubt the best singleplayer game I've played this year. I honestly can't find a single fault with it which is incredibly rare for me. Technically it's outstanding, gameplay is great, soundtrack is the best of the year. The game controls like a dream too, couldn't believe I was playing an FPS game using thumbsticks and it didn't feel horrible!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Uncharted 4 takes GOTY for me, simply because I love those characters and the story was stellar.

But man, Doom was so far outta left field amazing. Having a friend over and playing it, both thinking "holy fuck this has ZERO right to be this amazing"

Only loses marks because the end gets tedious as hell since it becomes all about spamming the siege mode with the unlimited ammo rune.
wait I never did that lol

I have the game on PC and PS4 and it's absolutely fantastic. Without doubt the best singleplayer game I've played this year. I honestly can't find a single fault with it which is incredibly rare for me. Technically it's outstanding, gameplay is great, soundtrack is the best of the year. The game controls like a dream too, couldn't believe I was playing an FPS game using thumbsticks and it didn't feel horrible!

I'm glad you pointed out the technical aspect. The fact that the game looks as good as it does and runs at a rock solid 60 FPS is just god damn wizardry.

Yeah, I rarely used siege mode. Too slow for my taste

pswii60

Agree completely. I consider it a modern day masterpiece and probably the best game of the generation along side Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze.

I'm doing another playthrough now and, thanks to the NoClip documentary you linked, actually paying attention to the data logs. They are great!

I'm hoping to see more people LTTPing this with the recent sale. We NEED a sequel.
Fucking Donkey Kong?

antitrop

Neither did I. I played on Ultra-Violence and didn't have to do that.

The end of the game was the best part for me, because I felt like I had to use the entire arsenal and play smart. I guess I could have just cheesed it with the Gauss Cannon, but that doesn't sound like any fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My go to in the end was the Super Shotgun and charged Gauss shot. And, well, strategic use of the BFG of course.
Neither did I. I played on Ultra-Violence and didn't have to do that.

The end of the game was the best part for me, because I felt like I had to use the entire arsenal and play smart. I guess I could have just cheesed it with the Gauss Cannon, but that doesn't sound like any fun.
:(

but it was so hurty.

antitrop

My go to in the end was the Super Shotgun and charged Gauss shot. And, well, strategic use of the BFG of course.

:(

but it was so hurty.
I used the Gauss Cannon, just not in Siege mode. Forgot to type that.

Sieging up in a game like DOOM just sounded like a terrible idea, so I never even tried it.

JC Lately

I’m three or four missions in. While I am certainly enjoying myself, I wouldn't call it my GOTY (that would be Overwatch). Music feels a little Try-hard Metal, levels seem a bit repetitive. The lore is interesting through and the exploration = upgrades system tickles my Metroid bone. And I do thoroughly enjoy and appreciate having more than two weapons at my disposal. Well worth its asking prices, and an absolute steal at the $20 I paid for it.

KahooTs

Couldn't say it's flawless, getting some upgrades trivialise the difficulty during the campaign. There's no spike in difficulty to counter what is basically a doubling of DPS in the upgraded double shotgun and gauss cannon. And then there's the runes. The upgrade system wasn't worth the loosening in design.

sikkinixx

I used the Gauss Cannon, just not in Siege mode. Forgot to type that.

Sieging up in a game like DOOM just sounded like a terrible idea, so I never even tried it.

Once you upgraded it you could move with sieging, albeit it slower, so just move backwards while the enemies funnel towards you, unleash shot after shot of ultra-powerful, kills most things in one hit while never running out of ammo because of the rune.

I never did it on nightmare difficulty, so I imagine that tactic doesn't work there though.

Also, not playing on PC I found it was a pain in the ass to switch weapons from the wheel while in the middle of combat so I basically stuck with only two weapons per encounter to I didn't have to dick around with the wheel.

Mindlog

Like the creative director of the game said, "you stop moving, you die", and the the game promoting an aggressive playstyle and encouraging you to push forward at all times not only worked well with the mindset of the DOOM marine, but actually the player since that's all you want to do: kill demons, whilst playing the risk vs reward feedback loop aspect really well. Changing weapons on the fly, to chaining glory kills, to throwing grenades, to doing all sorts of maneuvers felt satisfying each time.
Really agree with that in particular. I wish more games had their difficulty adjusted with this mindset. I am so very tired of hiding to regen health. Then again the contrast it offers is part of the reason DOOOM resonated so well with me.

Really agree with that in particular. I wish more games had their difficulty adjusted with this mindset. I am so very tired of hiding to regen health. Then again the contrast it offers is part of the reason DOOOM resonated so well with me.

DOOM took the Bloodborne approach to health. Be aggressive and you get health restored.

antitrop

Also, not playing on PC I found it was a pain in the ass to switch weapons from the wheel while in the middle of combat so I basically stuck with only two weapons per encounter to I didn't have to dick around with the wheel.
Fair enough, I played on console, too, but I felt more comfortable with the wheel after having played Wolfenstein: The New Order several times through.

dreamfall

Every gun in DOOM feels fucking glorious to fire. It's the most satisfying shooter maybe I've ever played. Mick Gordon comes on, moving left and right, blasting everything in sight, glory killing demons from above- just everything. A wicked adrenaline rush!

Every gun in DOOM feels fucking glorious to fire. It's the most satisfying shooter maybe I've ever played. Mick Gordon comes on, moving left and right, blasting everything in sight, glory killing demons from above- just everything. A wicked adrenaline rush!

Only thing lacking for me, quake 2 still king of gun sounds.

xuchu

I'm not saying anyone is dumb for liking Doom 4, hell I like Ninja Gaiden Yaiba. All I'm saying is that people should broaden their horizons and not just focus on games with "doom" in their name. People saying Doom 4 is the best FPS in years is baffling considering all the fantastic FPS games we have gotten recently. It either means one of these two things, 1) they didn't play the other ones or 2) for some strange reason they still believe Doom 4 does something better than any of the other shooters. And Doom 4 isn't great, it's serviceable, it isn't broken but it also isn't pushing anything. There are prettier, faster, more visceral and more original fps games out there.

gyltTPvict94c.gif

I'm not saying anyone is dumb for liking Doom 4, hell I like Ninja Gaiden Yaiba. All I'm saying is that people should broaden their horizons and not just focus on games with "doom" in their name. People saying Doom 4 is the best FPS in years is baffling considering all the fantastic FPS games we have gotten recently. It either means one of these two things, 1) they didn't play the other ones or 2) for some strange reason they still believe Doom 4 does something better than any of the other shooters. And Doom 4 isn't great, it's serviceable, it isn't broken but it also isn't pushing anything. There are prettier, faster, more visceral and more original fps games out there.

Just read through the OT and see how people like it.
What other shooters would you put over DOOM's campaign? I've played Wolfenstein: The New Order and Old Blood and Titanfall 2 already btw

And DOOM 2016 is the only DOOM game I've played lol, I hardly have narrow horizons

The only thing holding me back from buying this game is how big it is. The game itself is like 1/10 my data cap plus my connection is sorta crap anyway lol

Top Bottom