• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DOOM - THIS GAME IS SOOO GOOOD!!

SomTervo

Ugh. So much visual clutter with the numbers.I prefer to know what type of weapon I need to use at different enemies. And how many bullets I should use. This knowledge is something Doom builds up so well throughout the campaign.

When the action kicks in, you are constantly swapping weapons, thinking of ammo, prioritizing enemies, and moving into right positions. Or else you die instantly. At later levels the BFG is pretty much essential, and ammo is scarce. So you are thinking about when the best time to use it is. Failing one shot may ruin everything.

Shadow Warrior is a decent game, but it fails to evolve the genre in the way Doom did. It is so refreshing to have Id back, and upping the game another notch.

Your second paragraph is on point bi realised this today.

You really learn your arsenal and understand the of deploying the right weapon at the right time. "Imp - normal shotgun; hell knight - pulse rifle; fat guy - rocket launcher ; oh shit, here comes a Baron, BFG; Revenant up close - double barrel" etc.

It gets so fast and intense - but the difficulty is also perfectly balanced.

I sort of don't recommend playing it in VR theatre. Gets nerve wracking.

I really like the game but I doubt it's in my top 5 of this year. I found it to be 'go into room, pull out heart thing, kill all baddies that appear, get key, move into next room, pull out heart thing...'.

I know that's what a doom game is, but it didn't really click with me as much as I hoped.

Still yet to finish it.

This does change.

It was my first Doom and I completely agree. It's absolutely remarkable and one of the best, most hectic and satisfying games I've ever played.

SomTervo

Really? I found the repetitiveness only got worse as the game went on, albeit there are boss fights in the second half.

I hit a nasty repetition lull about 2/3 of the way in but the game quickly redeemed itself with some new enemy types and super, super challenging encounters/battles that really got me involved again. It didn't stop introducing enemy types till the end, so that was good.

The last couple of hours flew by.

Really agree with that in particular. I wish more games had their difficulty adjusted with this mindset. I am so very tired of hiding to regen health. Then again the contrast it offers is part of the reason DOOOM resonated so well with me.

For me, it was all that plus the fact it's quite an intelligent shooter in that you really need to think about the best weapon to use against each enemy, and think strategically about how to prioritise targets. I'm contstantly having to make decisions as I'm running around killing demons. It's so frantic I can barely play for much more than an hour or two at a time.

Only loses marks because the end gets tedious as hell since it becomes all about spamming the siege mode with the unlimited ammo rune.
There's nothing about the end stretch that's designed in such a way where that method is the (encouraged) primary course of action, even on the highest difficulty.

Say what you will about specific upgrades being overpowered, but the aforementioned tedium is user-imposed.

I used the Gauss Cannon, just not in Siege mode. Forgot to type that.

Sieging up in a game like DOOM just sounded like a terrible idea, so I never even tried it.
You can charge it up just fine whilst jumping, so you can technically still keep moving with minimal speed loss if you choose your moments.

For weapons my go-to was always the Super Shotgun. Loved that thing - especially with the upgrade that allowed me to fire twice before reloading. I switched plenty of times, especially to Rocket Launcher and BFG, but jumping into a horde of demons with my trusty Super Shotgun just felt sooooooo good.

I really want to get back to playing this, freaking 78GB on steam.

I only beat it on Hard or whatever it was before Nightmare difficulty where the fodder zombies can 2 hit you and as I got closer towards the end of my run with upgraded SSG + RL with manual explode upgrade + Siege cannon, it got way too easy.

The game is awesome. People saying that it's repetitive just don't like the core game play loop as much as the rest of us.

The game is so enjoyable on multiple playthroughs and I'm currently working in an Ultra Nightmare run.

Pure fun.

Edit: btw, people who thought it was too easy at launch, they recently updated the AI so they lead their shots and are more accurate. It's noticeable. On nightmare you can get basically one shotted by some enemies.

I keep hearing this, but I'm worried I won't be able to get into it because the subject matter won't interest me enough. And the creature designs just throw me off also; seem a little too demonic. And for some reason, if it isn't a jrpg of some sort, I won't come anywhere close to that sorta thing.

Man I went to re-install it on PS4 and even though I have 90gb of free space it says I don't have enough free space lol

please, please, please make mp and sp different downloads id

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For weapons my go-to was always the Super Shotgun. Loved that thing - especially with the upgrade that allowed me to fire twice before reloading. I switched plenty of times, especially to Rocket Launcher and BFG, but jumping into a horde of demons with my trusty Super Shotgun just felt sooooooo good.
we are peers in this.
seem a little too demonic
they are literal demons

if the entirety of that post end to end was parody then I apologize and well-played.

Get'sMad

I've been meaning to check it out but I just haven't gotten around to it.....$20 on amazon right now so thats about to change

I keep hearing this, but I'm worried I won't be able to get into it because the subject matter won't interest me enough. And the creature designs just throw me off also; seem a little too demonic. And for some reason, if it isn't a jrpg of some sort, I won't come anywhere close to that sorta thing.

I mean there's no harm in trying the game if it's cheap on sale or something. I mean if you don't mind me saying, my TL:DR does an ok job in summarising the main selling points of the game. If that appeals to you then go for it-- you never know, you maybe pleasantly surprised.

The enemy designs and encounters are actually pretty fun if you can look past the theme. If you want to have fun shooting stuff and not be necessarily invested into the story, then hey, go for it. The opposite also works!

TwiztidElf

I'm not even exaggerating when I say this game is not only my GOTY for 2016 (tied with Ratchet and Clank),
I only started playing this last night. Just finished mission 3 (Meltdown), and I'm pretty impressed. At this point a 2016 top 3 for me with Ratchet and Clank (like you) and Overwatch.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I mean there's no harm in trying the game if it's cheap on sale or something. I mean if you don't mind me saying, my TL:DR does an ok job in summarising the main selling points of the game. If that appeals to you then go for it-- you never know, you maybe pleasantly surprised.

The enemy designs and encounters are actually pretty fun if you can look past the theme. If you want to have fun shooting stuff and not be necessarily invested into the story, then hey, go for it. The opposite also works!
If I had to point to an individual game that most dramatically "isn't a JRPG of some sort," I am hard-pressed to do better than DOOM...

I only started playing this last night. Just finished mission 3 (Meltdown), and I'm pretty impressed. At this point a 2016 top 3 for me with Ratchet and Clank (like you) and Overwatch.

Ah nice! For me it's Uncharted 4 instead of Overwatch mainly because I unfortunately missed the boat on the latter :/ too late to start now!

If I had to point to an individual game that most dramatically "isn't a JRPG of some sort," I am hard-pressed to do better than DOOM...

Wait, what do you mean?

I know the guy said that but you know....he came and posted in this thread and showed some level of interest, so I tried to set his expectations, and you never know -- he might end up liking it! You'll never know until you try it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know the guy said that but you know....he came and posted in this thread and showed some level of interest, so I tried to set his expectations, and you never know -- he might end up liking it! You'll never know until you try it.
i dunno, it seemed more like he came and posted to summarize his disinterest?
I think he means he only likes games with demons in them if they're JRPGs, like SMT or something.
ooooh I see. I misread it. I thought it was "I only play JRPGs of one kind or another"

my bad.

Fucking GOTY, nah more like GOTG.

Honestly the one game I've had so much fun playing.

I am just so happy that a developer actually respectfully went back to their roots and made a game that is focused on fun and gameplay, not sacrificing those qualities for a more realistic or cinematic experience.

So refreshing.

Instro

Game is great...or that's what I thought until I found my save file corrupted tonight. Sounds like this has been an issue since release, and they've never fixed it. How is this a problem with like every Bethesda related release? I'm not starting over anytime soon.

AwShucks

tumblr_o74bzwLrMh1qdvhtvo1_400.gif

My 2016 GOTY

This or The Last Guardian for me. And for completely different reasons. But TLG is my kind of game usually while Doom is not, which tells me how good Doom is.

Also, even the credits are great. I really like how they highlight the area of the game the credits are showing. Lighting, AI, audio etc

Lol...Doing an ultra nightmare run and I fell through the world geometry... 2 hours lost lol...Dayum, first time that bug has happened to me too. Somehow managed to laugh about it.

SlickVic

Yeah but not enough Puzzle solving for me. I still prefer the Doom 2 in my head with its expansive Hell levels. That game was amazing. New Doom is good but its pales in comparison to its Older sibling.

To each his own. Personally I probably would get annoyed if I got stuck trying to solve some puzzle when I could instead be facing down a Baron of Hell and his horde of pals. Haven't beaten the game yet, but I like how there's just enough down time to recover from your last combat encounter before diving into the next one. I love how quickly the game gets you back into combat, which is fitting for a game with such fast traversal.

As for complaints that the game gets repetitive, I personally have a hard time calling gameplay repetitive when I enjoy it a lot. I did feel the constant onslaught of combat could get too intense and overwhelming if I played too much in one sitting, so I decided to play at a pace of 1-2 chapters a night which felt like just the right amount of Doom for a day.

Bought it on both PS4 and X1 and of course maxed them out.
All I can say is, it's not just the GOTY shooter for me, it's in my top 5 best shooters of all time!
I loved the fact that you the DOOM slayer is the enemy of the demons, it's them who have to fear you, not the other way around, and the character just shows that without saying a thing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
To each his own. Personally I probably would get annoyed if I got stuck trying to solve some puzzle when I could instead be facing down a Baron of Hell and his horde of pals. Haven't beaten the game yet, but I like how there's just enough down time to recover from your last combat encounter before diving into the next one. I love how quickly the game gets you back into combat, which is fitting for a game with such fast traversal.

As for complaints that the game gets repetitive, I personally have a hard time calling gameplay repetitive when I enjoy it a lot. I did feel the constant onslaught of combat could get too intense and overwhelming if I played too much in one sitting, so I decided to play at a pace of 1-2 chapters a night which felt like just the right amount of Doom for a day.

To be fair DOOM II was not an experience I would ever classify as tedious or "was getting stuck in puzzles too much, I need to fight more" (I did not mind getting lost and having to really explore the environment at times), but combat is one thing that DOOM II did extremely well and was extremely fast with tons of enemies which you could not really predict where they would be... beside some more exploration, I think the only gripe some people have is the fact that you will always be triggering consciously the next big fight when you destroy the Gore Nests for example. In the old DOOM games you would be actually be surprised at finding a nasty group of enemies at times... exploration for secrets could be punishing. I would like a bit more of that back that's all :).

Still, although I was totally negativene on this game before it came out and saw more single player play throughs... and got it on PS4... wow, what a game. It is definitely in my Olympus of great games :). Thrilling core combat + super awesomely fitting music (I really like the pause menu even :)) + level design (I was surprised at how big and intricate some levels were, mad props id).

eso76

Bought physical when it went on sale at GameStop last week, still wrapped.
There's probably a system update I still need to do, plus game updates, plus having to delete stuff off my HDD and 80 GB of space are discouraging me each time I am tempted to try it.

SlickVic

To be fair DOOM II was not an experience I would ever classify as tedious or "was getting stuck in puzzles too much, I need to fight more" (I did not mind getting lost and having to really explore the environment at times), but combat is one thing that DOOM II did extremely well and was extremely fast with tons of enemies which you could not really predict where they would be... beside some more exploration, I think the only gripe some people have is the fact that you will always be triggering consciously the next big fight when you destroy the Gore Nests for example. In the old DOOM games you would be actually be surprised at finding a nasty group of enemies at times... exploration for secrets could be punishing. I would like a bit more of that back that's all :).

Still, although I was totally negativene on this game before it came out and saw more single player play throughs... and got it on PS4... wow, what a game. It is definitely in my Olympus of great games :). Thrilling core combat + super awesomely fitting music (I really like the pause menu even :)) + level design (I was surprised at how big and intricate some levels were, mad props id).

Sure. I never played Doom II so I don't know how it worked there. To me, figuring out how to do some of the rune challenges and how to take down bosses were enough "puzzles" for me. Guess I wasn't really looking for anything more than that in this game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sure. I never played Doom II so I don't know how it worked there. To me, figuring out how to do some of the rune challenges and how to take down bosses were enough "puzzles" for me. Guess I wasn't really looking for anything more than that in this game.

You should really give DOOM II and especially DOOM 64 a good honest chance if you can. You will not regret it :).

Manu

I think Doom 2 got a bit too far with the bullshit traps and maze-like design on its final stretch. Some levels have you literally walking on bridges that are a few pixels wide, over acid, while getting hit by lost souls. They went a bit overboard.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Guess I wasn't really looking for anything more than that in this game.

Fair enough, but I would not have minded some of the large enemy battles to feel like it just happened and it was not based on me intentionally triggering it via the Gore Nest route.

xuchu

Lol...Doing an ultra nightmare run and I fell through the world geometry... 2 hours lost lol...Dayum, first time that bug has happened to me too. Somehow managed to laugh about it.

Haha good luck with those runs man. I must've died at least 50-60 times. Practice the level you are on in nightmare mode first as a warm-up and then do it on ultra-nightmare. You can use the 'saving throw' rune to help you during crazy battles that you are having troubles with but you can only use it once throughout the game. I regret not saving it for the final boss though as I died there once. You will get frustrated but just know that this will take a long time. Don't be afraid to put it down for some days or weeks and get back into it. Good luck.

KORNdoggy

i never thought i'd be saying this about doom, but i was hoping for some much needed variety by about the 2 hour point or some narrative structure to keep me pushing forward...anything really...sadly it never comes.

it made playing for more then an hour at a time pretty difficult for me since the encounters were just way too similar. locked into an arena > enemies of various types spawn in > kill them using the same weapons you've been using for the last 5 hours > rinse > repeat.

i loved the style of it though, they modernized the old style doom really well bar the odd exception. but the gameplay was just too samey, and i think i honestly preferred the more "horror" approach of doom 3 :/

Loved it but found it to be a bit on the easy side. Playing my first run on the level below Nightmare and I never ever felt like I was in a desperate situation. Health everywhere, even went all in on the ammo upgrade path as health and armor wasn't really an issue. Sure it's movement based and good movement is supposed to keep you out of trouble, but it's obvious they designed it for controller first hand as it wasn't challenging.

Add to that weapons with such MASSIVE headshot damage that you can rely on THAT GUN for every enemy and every situation and it'll be the most effective weapon of all. Even the toughest foes went down in only a couple of hits so going for headshots was by far the easiest and most effective way to deal with everything. Other guns are fun no doubt, but you need to force yourself not to just go the easy route.

Forced dull cut scenes and being overly menu driven was two other major flaws but as a whole it was a fantastic experience that could've been better. (that said, it could've been so, so much worse!)

funo

I loathed the first trailers, they looked "on rails" and I was expecting this to be a total disasterpiece or a game.

Then came the boring MP beta and I had no intentions of buying the game.

Bought the game in a sale sometime later because I read so much about it and finished it in one sitting. Played through the campaign multiple times to find all the secrets.

Only game I finished this year, easily one of the best games of the year. Absolutely loved it.

nightside

I'm playing DOOM these days and.. Oh my God this game...oh my goodness. I can't describe how good it is. I must admit at first I played in a slow and more reasoned pace... And it was just nice. When I realized that in DOOM you're not a man against demons but in fact the embodiment of fury and destruction descended upon bad ugly demons...well.. So freaking good.

Rip and tear.

I never really got into it tbh. I bought it due to hype and came away quite disappointed - the gameplay loop remains identical for a long ass time and everything started to blend together, not helped by the generic sounding metal.

I feel like it had slightly inflated positivity because people were expecting it to be terrible - it'll be interesting to see how a sequel is received depending on what the change.

TedMilk

It's the best game I've played since Metroid Prime 3... Must be because they are actually quite similar in a lot of ways.

Top Bottom