• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp (Rttp?): Final Fantasy XIV, or holy shit is this game good

yoBBuBh.jpg

Over four years ago, I tried Final Fantasy XIV 1.x. The game had been receiving extensive patches to make it better, and people were saying how much better it was. What prompted me to try it though was the promotion that Square was having. If a player registered for two months (which cost 30$), they would get a permanent reduced fee for ARR; 10$/month instead of 15$/month. So I saw that 30$ as an investment. If I really liked the game and subscribed to it, I would make back that 30$ eventually. I had never played an MMO before (except for the original Guild Wars, briefly).

What I played was kind of okay. It wasn't good enough for me to keep my subscription. So I let it lapse. That marked the end of my first time trying to get into FF XIV.

Just two years later, in mid-2014, after many Gaffers kept repeating just how much better A Realm Reborn was over the original 1.x game, I decided to try the game again. It was just going to cost me 10$; a small fee. I tried it for some days (I forget for how long), but I just couldn't get into it. So many fetch quests, so much filler in the main story quest itself, almost no voice acting... it was just boring, I thought. I couldn't see what people liked about the game, really. It was yet another reminded that "MMOs aren't for me".

However. This all changed very recently. Square revealed the game's newest expansion, Stormblood. Gaffers went nuts for it, and I got sucked into the hype. After trying the game twice, one would think that I would have put it behind me for good. But, being the Final Fantasy fanboy that I am, I had to give it another go. I wanted to see what people loved about it. "Surely they are not all crazy", I thought. "I have to be missing something." So I subscribed again. This time though, I would play on PS4, my preferred platform (you can't beat cozying up on the couch with a controller in hand).

I asked the fine folks who hang out in the community thread of the game what I should do to get into the game. Should I stick to the main story quest? Do every dungeon? What about sidequests? The answer was unanimous: I should stick to the main story quest, and do only the sidequests that unlock content. If I tried doing every single side quest, I would get burned out from the game, just like what had happened two years ago. Though I was warned that even by doing that, I would have to suffer through a plethora of filler quests that bog down the main story quest's pacing. I was assured that this issue would be lessened once I beat the base game and got to the 2.x patches, and that it would be remedied entirely once I got to Heavensward (3.0).

So that's what I did. I stuck to the MSQ and did only the sidequests that were blue and marked with a "+" icon, the ones that unlock content such as dungeons, raids and game mechanics (yes, you read that right), such as logs, hunts and weekly bonuses. That was a weird one. For those who have played Destiny (I come from this game), you know how you can do daily and weekly missions that give you bonuses such as legendary marks and the such? In FF XIV, there is that, but you must have to unlock that feature by doing a sidequest; meaning, I think, that a player could miss it. Weird, but that's how it is, so you better do those blue sidequests.

So I did that, and it finally happened: I "got" it. I understood why people love this game. If you avoid all the bullshit sidequests, it's just so much fun to play. The combat, the music, the dungeons. Oh, the dungeons. Playing this game with a party of other players is just fantastic. Every dungeon is different, each boss has its own mechanic. And I started doing raids recently, which are played by 24 people. 24! It's amazing, really.

The only negative about this game still, is the slog of the base game's main story quest. For every quest that progresses the story, you get two or three filler quests, and sometimes much more. "Oh, you are trying to go kill Titan before he goes on a rampage all over the country? I will help you... but only after you get all of these wine ingredients so that I can make more and better wine." FUCKING WINE! I'm trying to save the goddamn world, lady. Fuck off with your wine.

Anyways, after you beat Titan, the number of fetch quests start to go down. They go down even further once you get to the 2.x patches, and I was told that they almost but disappear in 3.x (Heavensward), which I finally reached last night at 4:00 (yeah...).

The story is great. Just last night, some Game of Thrones type shit happened that caught me completely off guard. I got teary eyed during one scene, then in another shouted "WHAT. THE. FUCK." when the game went somewhere I thought it wouldn't go. And that was just patch 2.55. I was told that Heavensward's story is some of the best storytelling in all of Final Fantasy. If it can top not only the story beats that happened last night, but the narration of the story, then holy shit am I in for a delight.

I'll play some more tonight, after I hunt a bit for an internship. You don't get hired at a law firm out of nowhere.

So yeah, here's what I have to say to you: try this game. If you've never played an MMO: try it. If you've played an MMO before but didn't like it: try it. If you're a Final Fantasy fan: try it. Go ask some questions in the community thread if you need guidance. The GAF community is great.

This game is great. Try it.

Rymuth

XIV's ARR campaign was seriously good - talks of it being mediocre are being unfair. I'll concede that the fetch quests were redonkulous.

Heavensward campaign was on a whole different level - I mean, holy shit....what a rollercoaster of emotions!

Tl;dr - OP is correct. One of the best RPG experiences I've ever played.

I made it to White Mage with my Conjurer a few years ago...

Would you say that there is enough that has changed that would be worth checking out? I bounced off the repetitious fetchiness of the moment to moment. Music/Story/Characters all started to fall a bit flat given that I only experienced new stuff every few hours.

I love everything about it, fantastic game.

Played it for a good bit until I realised that I don't have time for a MMO anymore :-(

JMY86

They are doing free login at the moment for those who want to return.

Fantastic game. I would love to come back if I could only download the fucking game patch files. I have been trying for several days now and keep getting the same error messages. I have zero issues downloading the base game but the patch files are another issue entirely...

They are doing free login at the moment for those who want to return.

Nice. Time to download the PS4 client again.

I'm almost only play single player games but FFXIV blew me away, the writing is truly excellent. FF fans who haven't tried it yet because of the MMO aspect should definitely give it a shot, it's a perfect modern rendition of the classic FF formula.

MilkBeard

I played the beta on PS4 and liked what I played. Was my first MMO experience. I haven't been back because of the subscription, but I'm thinking of letting my PSN sub lapse for a while and pay for this game. I want to come back to it.

I love the game

I've got about 400 hours on steam with only one character at 50 levelled a Dragoon and loved it till everyone started saying "LOLDRG" at everything I did... :(

I was playing a WAR but I'm not that good at tanking I prefer DPS but the queues when DPSing are insanely long and sometimes you can't progress through the story cuz your stuck with a story dungeon that takes 40 mins to get a healer

I play solo no one plays with me even the ol' GAF guild

Yet still I love playing the game all the patch trailers always hype me up

Samus4145

My biggest issue was the menu system on PS4. I hated how the quest system worked and I struggled with navigating to and from quests.

My only issue I have with it currently is that I'm stuck grinding between levels to progress in Heavensward. Plus I've got end of term essays and work to be doing so I haven't really been able to pass that wall. I'm only level 56 so I'm not looking forward to the grind to the end of 3.0. I decided to get into tanking because my inner edge lord wanted to be a dark knight but then I discovered I am way too anxious to tank with randoms (and I have little friends on my current server). I don't mind doing basic 4 player dungeons or trials as a tank, but anything else I have so little confidence in doing. On a side note: the level 30-50 dark knight job story is pretty amazing, one of my favourite job stories in FFXIV. I fully recommend doing it just to experience that.
I'm not going to be a constant subscriber but I'm always going to dip my toes back in to play a bit more of the game when I've got nothing else to do. The controller support for this game is what keeps me playing.

tl;dr: FFXIV good game

Zakalwe

Banned
I might grab a ps4 copy at some point. How does it run on the platform. It's cross platform too for accounts, right?

Monster Zero

I must say this tickles my fancy, I played a bit before and got to 50 cap I believe at launch 2.0, wonder if it's better to start a whole new character or try and ween myself back into the game. Barely had a stage 1 relic, don't think that's to much time to redo. I gotta research

zoodoo

How much is the subscription?

That's my biggest issue with the game. I dont want my game to be a monthly bill.

Tigel

I'd love to play it but I'm afraid of the time that it'll take to get to Heavensward.

How many hours did it take you OP? If it's a reasonable 40-ish hours (by skipping bullshit side quests) I might bite once I'm done with FFXV.

Zesh

If I'm only interested in the main story, how much do I have to play with other people? There seems to be a lot of praise for this game, but I don't really like MMOs.

Edit: Also, do you need Heavensward from the get-go? Or can I just get the base game first to see if I like it, and then get Heavensward later?

I might grab a ps4 copy at some point. How does it run on the platform. It's cross platform too for accounts, right?

I play on PS4 and I've never had any issues with major slow down, the game is perfectly playable. Though I haven't seen what the game can get like with 24 player raids so that might not hold up true.

If I'm only interested in the main story, how much do I have to play with other people? There seems to be a lot of praise for this game, but I don't really like MMOs.

A bit. Dungeons are needed for progression. But you can easily go into a duty finder and get matched with other people. From my own experience I have had no issues with randoms, but of course from time to time you will get that one person... DPS queues can be a bit painful (20 mins normally for main story stuff during peak times). It's pretty easy to play solo (I'm a sad lonely player who made no friends while playing) and I'm already knee deep into Heavensward.

Peroroncino

I also recently [yesterday, lol] started and so far so good, after the disappointment with XV's story I expect some good things from this one (I can fight through the tedium of the 'first' main quest), especially now after reading in your OP that narration gets even better with patches/expansion.

I like the music, combat is nice, the world is awesome [straight fantasy] I just wish the game looked and performed a little bit better on my PS4.

btw. anybody knows what "Draw Quality" is supposed to do? I mean, it sounds pretty self-explanatory right? But after changing it from normal to high, high to normal a couple of times, I didn't notice any change in LoD or draw distance, but the framerate is slightly better on normal.

Kouriozan

I'm playing this game for the story and it's very very good (well, starting from level 40/50 I guess), I do enjoy some job grinding from time to time but never do raid.
Put like 400 hours in 2 months, never a MMO grabbed me like that before.

Shamdeo

There will be many points where the story will require you to complete dungeons or trials that involve three to seven other people.

I can't vouch for human nature, but the game does have a plenitude of resources to make use of so that you feel comfortable functioning as a role within a party.

You only need to team up for the dungeons and a few boss encounters. I'd say I've spent 95% of my time in the game by myself as I prefer to enjoy games at my own pace. And whenever you want to enter the dungeon of your choice, there's a very easy to use auto-group function.

Firebrand

You have to buy the game and expansions for each platform, but yeah you can use the same character. Unfortunately gear sets (I think) and crossbars don't sync, which is a major pain.

On the plus side, registering the base game for another platform yields another free month, at the cost of postponing your veteran rewards by the same amount of time.

Me and my friends play FFXIV a few hours most weeks, we love it. We're currently going through the post-Heavensward quests leading up to the new expansion, and it's still great. The new music from Heavensward and beyond is just as good as the storyline. Though coming from Final Fantasy XI, I miss there being a feeling of danger just wandering the overworld - in FF11 you really had to Metal-Gear-Solid your way around the world if you were by yourself, but in XIV you are usually safe in the wilderness.

And don't worry new players, while you need to complete the main storyline to get to Heavensward (and will need to complete Heavensward to access next year's expansion), Square has really sped up the progress to get through A Realm Reborn, you shouldn't ever need to do any level grinding to get to Heavensward.

Can the "campaigns" be played as if they were single player games or do you actually need to engage in co-op for raid-style dungeons, etc?

I'm really interested in playing through an older-school type of RPG and am well aware that MMOs are really not that, but I'm willing to make concessions if the ARR and HS campaigns can be played largely as single-player experiences.

EDIT: Didn't realize it's been asked already, ignore me :p

Undubbed

I played this game for a month a few years ago and I LOVED it, but that's exactly why I felt I needed to quit cause I didn't want another addiction on my hands :(

For some VERY strange reason, I really really liked logging. I don't get it. I don't get myself. But I like logging.

iHaunter

XIV's ARR campaign was seriously good - talks of it being mediocre are being unfair. I'll concede that the fetch quests were redonkulous.

Heavensward campaign was on a whole different level - I mean, holy shit....what a rollercoaster of emotions!

Tl;dr - OP is correct. One of the best RPG experiences I've ever played.

Grindy, story was a bit predictable as well.

Lack of voice acting makes it a bit awkward as well.

This is coming from someone who had 5 lvl 50s in the first month...I liked the bosses, they were pretty hard. Especially
Titan HM (At the time).

Couldn't bring myself to even finish Heavensward.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Kagari and Company's doubtless optimism toward this game has already compelled me to give my first MMO a shot sometime next year, but the OP did a phenomenal job of supplementing that.

Story and atmosphere are all I need.

Can the "campaigns" be played as if they were single player games or do you actually need to engage in co-op for raid-style dungeons, etc?

I'm really interested in playing through an older-school type of RPG and am well aware that MMOs are really not that, but I'm willing to make concessions if the ARR and HS campaigns can be played largely as single-player experiences.
Someone else mentioned it, but the storyline quests are single-player oriented, but they end up going through dungeons and certain boss fights that require a party of 4 co-op. The dungeons (and those boss fights) are balanced to require a full party, and later on requires the full party to be skilled at their jobs.

Rymuth

I play on PS4. It runs great. You can choose between 720 or 1080p if you want graphics or performance.
How much is the subscription?

That's my biggest issue with the game. I dont want my game to be a monthly bill.
$13 for 30 days (1 character per server, tho)

Game can be played without ps+ subscription if you fear the added costs on PS4

Soma

oh man you're in for a real treat. yeah that titan story quest was probably the lowest point in my experience with the game but it picked up quickly afterwards.

definitely gonna resub once Stormblood comes out

jb1234

I've started playing it but man, it starts out slowly. Just a relentless run of fetch quests. Very little story so far in the first few hours.

I'm doing the 2.x quests right now, and I guess the game's fine, but I feel like I'm still waiting for the game to get good. Like, it's totally okay, I know lots of people love it, some people call it one of the best FF games, but it is just not clicking with me. I feel like I'm just going through the motions and at some people I'll go "This is awesome!", but I have not hit that point yet. I especially hated how the 2.0 story was basically on pause from level ~20 to ~45, and it just turned into "Fight the next primal!" for a loooong time.

Maybe I just don't like MMO's? I feel like other people are seeing something in this game that I just don't.

Rad-

I really wanted to like this game but to me it felt like just another typical MMO but with a FF-skin. I used the free month but didn't continue after that.

Kouriozan

The primal fights in this game are one of the best thing ever.
I also only play solo, but those trials are so fun with many different mechanics, and those music! <3
Personal favorites are Titan, Leviathan and Ravana.

Kyrios

I'm doing the 2.x quests right now, and I guess the game's fine, but I feel like I'm still waiting for the game to get good. Like, it's totally okay, I know lots of people love it, some people call it one of the best FF games, but it is just not clicking with me. I feel like I'm just going through the motions and at some people I'll go "This is awesome!", but I have not hit that point yet. I especially hated how the 2.0 story was basically on pause from level ~20 to ~45, and it just turned into "Fight the next primal!" for a loooong time.

Maybe I just don't like MMO's? I feel like other people are seeing something in this game that I just don't.

You might not like the structure of the game so you aren't enjoying it as much as others.

CLBridges

Agreed, the game is good. I still have an active sub currently and have been playing off and on since 2.0 release. Looking forward to 3.5 patch which should be sometime in January. This was my first MMO and I recommend it to anyone looking to try it out.

Top Bottom