• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTPewPewPew: Max Payne 3....also spoilers

Apoc29

Fun game, though I disliked the cover system. You couldn't roll into a cover position and if you win a last stand and are prone, you can't directly get back into cover without standing up first and getting shot a bunch more times.

I played it on the xbox and I hated it, then I played it on the PC and I loved it. That might have to do with the fact that I played the first two on the PC (I spent hundreds of hours on MP 2 and all of the mods) and I needed the precision of a mouse. It's really too bad that MP 3 wasn't moddable. Maybe someone could have removed that stupid environment collision thing where it ends your bullet time during a shootdodge. At the very least they could have kept it like MP 2 where shootdodging didn't waste your adrenaline.

GavinUK86

I'm not going to sit on the fence and say it's possibly the best TPS in recent memory. I'm going to say it IS the best TPS in memory. Perfect story, perfect voice acting, perfect animations, perfect controls. Beautiful game. I just loved that game so much. Replayed it about 4 or 5 times now. So good. Runs like a dream on PC too.

The story was always going to be a disappointment after MP2's ending. It was over and resolved. The only thing they could do was make a story about max relapsing, which they did a mediocre job of.

But anyone claiming that it isn't a mechanically great shooter that lives up to the first two in at least that area is insane.

Maybe it's just because my first run was on hard, but I got pretty annoyed by the game. I would constantly end up in situations where I would get rapidly chipped if I stayed in cover and was being so relentlessly shot up that I couldn't even dive out. Got better towards the end though. Also, the laser sights were COMPLETELY useless. They should have been rendered pointing directly into Max's eyes, because that's what they effectively did. The laser sights replaced the crosshair and effectively made the weapons have uncontrollable amounts of recoil.

Mechanically, I wouldn't call it the best shooter of the year. Decent game though. Had fun with it.

dreamfall

I absolutely loved it.

Best TPS of last gen, maybe alongside Vanquish.

The impact, the weight of Euphoria, bullet ballet and some insane camera work. HEALTH's soundtrack was absolute bliss.

My only issue was with the way Mona was included, more of an afterthought than anything else. And the multiplayer was awesome!

i didn't like this game.

i thought max might have learned some more moves in his long gap of no games. (like stranglehold)

and those cutscenes? did my head in.

Strike

One of the best TPS of last gen, but despite a valiant effort, the story just didn't live up to the first two. Houser's writing style just wasn't a great fit for the series.

Hypron

The thing I liked about the game is that you could play without using cover for most of it. I prefer being able to shoot and run and that was completely viable on every difficulty, and especially on old school where you'd get a lot more bullet time.

Overall I preferred Max Payne 1 and 2 (which I played for the first time a month before MP3 so it's not nostalgia talking), but it was still a great game which I had lots of fun playing. The cutscenes were a shame though, especially in New York Minute.

You don't play Max Payne with lock on, sucka.

Yeah. Free aim all the way. Especially on kb/m. Anything else is an abomination.

KAP151

I went back and finally finished this recently. It really, really dragged on towards the end.

Doesnt hold a candle to the first 2 games.

VoidZero

Banned
I couldn't get into it, mostly because of the cutscenes.
The cutscenes were annoying and took me out of the action all the time. Play for 5 minutes, cutscene, 5 min play, cutscene and so on. The story wasn't that good either.

dcx4610

Loved the game. I wish it was a bit more noire and had the old comic panels but everything else was pure Max goodness.

Better controls, better graphics, good acting, good atmosphere, awesome soundtrack and interesting locations.

I don't see how anyone that was a Max Payne fan could dislike this game. 1, 2 and 3 all get 9/10 in my eyes.

cripterion

It's an awesome game that I usually get back into once in a while.

The multiplayer was fucking fun too, although they are very few peeps and a lot of cheaters on pc.

meanspartan

Without a doubt the best third person shooter this gen. /thread

You didn't need to go on after this.

100% accurate. This game has a lot of people who like to trash talk it. Ignore them, they are wrong :p . Max Payne 3 was one of the most fantastic games of last gen, and one of the most quotable too.

And these days it is often on sale for PC. If you have even a decent-ish gaming PC and didn't before, do yourself a favor and pick up this game next time it goes on sale. It may be a "last gen" game going by console cycles, but on PC I'd put it up against a lot of the stuff we have seen coming for Ps4/X1.

Fezan

I liked the game but there were some really big problems with it. first of all the shooting felt great but max movement felt very lose. it was like accelerated movement. 2ndly the dive mechanics were completely broken . you could dive and shoot but as soon as you hit some thing or even ground you will go into long animation and at that time things get annoying specially in that building level. One more major problem was after every cut scene maxpayne default weapon goes to hand gun which can become an issue if you are fighting dudes with aromour.

Story while good was not memorable at all. don't remember a single thing from it. Sound track on the other hand was phenomenal. I didn't minded the effect used in cut scenes but not able to skip them meant that it was difficult to replay the game. Overall a good game but not an excellent one

Offtopic: Did R* lifted graveyard mission of Franklin in GTAV straightly maxpayne 3 ?

Top Bottom